Revel Owners Thread - Page 271 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 200Likes

post #8101 of 8214 Old 03-15-2016, 07:36 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flato View Post
Hello, Long time lurker in need of advice, I purchased a revel performa3 7 channel system from authorized dealer, one of my M106 got knocked on the ground and i found the magnet became detached, i fixed it my self and for a while it worked, then i noticed a slight buzzzing noise and sure enough the magnet was partially detached well i decided to try again and used to much glue and glue went places it should not have and now the woofer wont move. I almost positive it is toast. Is it possible to buy just the woofer or am i up a creek without a paddle.

Thanks for any advice,

Call Revel support (the number is on their web site),
They sell parts and I bought drivers when I had the Salon1's.

You will be able to repair the speaker.

- Rich
John Schuermann and bigguyca like this.

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | Oppo PM-1 | ATI AT6002 + AT4006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8102 of 8214 Old 03-20-2016, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
May have been asked and sorry if it has but how much of an upgrade are the F208/center to my F32 /C32 both musically and HT.
post #8103 of 8214 Old 03-21-2016, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycicero View Post
May have been asked and sorry if it has but how much of an upgrade are the F208/center to my F32 /C32 both musically and HT.
That's a tough answer for someone to answer but very easy for you if you just visit your local Revel dealer. I hope there is one nearby...
avkv and John Schuermann like this.
post #8104 of 8214 Old 03-23-2016, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycicero View Post
Without actually a/b'ing the speakers under identical conditions, it's hard to answer definitively. However, that's exactly what Revel did when they designed the F208 and the matching center.

As you probably already know, Revel not only double blind tests their speaker designs against the competition, they also do the same testing against previous iterations within the same speaker lineup. In other words, when they designed the F208, part of the design goal was to make sure it was enough of an appreciable upgrade over the previous Performa speakers to make sure it was worth the effort to update the line.

RE: musically and HT. To my way of thinking, both are essentially the same. I am a Revel / JBL dealer, but when I'm not designing home theaters, I am a film composer and a film sound designer. There is an awful lot of music in movies What people usually mean when asking if a speaker is good for home theater is whether or not the speaker is capable of good dynamics. In the case of Revel, you are looking at speakers with some of the best dynamics in the industry.
avkv likes this.

John Schuermann
www.thescreeningroomav.com Home Theater Design
JS Music and Sound Post Production Audio / Original Music for Film and Video
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
post #8105 of 8214 Old 03-23-2016, 04:43 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post

RE: musically and HT. To my way of thinking, both are essentially the same. I am a Revel / JBL dealer, but when I'm not designing home theaters, I am a film composer and a film sound designer. There is an awful lot of music in movies

The Indiana Jones series is mostly music

- Rich

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | Oppo PM-1 | ATI AT6002 + AT4006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15
post #8106 of 8214 Old 03-23-2016, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
? I didn't notice it.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #8107 of 8214 Old 03-23-2016, 06:04 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
? I didn't notice it.

John Towner Williams will be crestfallen

- Rich

post #8108 of 8214 Old 03-23-2016, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post

RE: musically and HT. To my way of thinking, both are essentially the same. I am a Revel / JBL dealer, but when I'm not designing home theaters, I am a film composer and a film sound designer. There is an awful lot of music in movies

- Rich
I couldn't agree more - you are talking about my idol Followed by Jerry Goldsmith and Bernard Herrmann.

The same could be said of E.T., Star Wars, Superman, Jaws, Patton, Psycho, Star Trek the Motion Picture...
RichB likes this.
post #8109 of 8214 Old 03-24-2016, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
John Towner Williams will be crestfallen
Sorry if he feels that way but, to me, the soundtrack is part of the background and contributes to the overall gestalt. I think that's what a soundtrack should do.

The last time I paid attention to a soundtrack (other than in a musical film) was with Louis Malle's "The Lovers" and the composer was Brahms.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #8110 of 8214 Old 03-24-2016, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For the new Revel speaker S16 on-wall, has anyone heard them? How do they compare to their in-wall/in-ceiling speakers. I have their in-wall speakers, the 500 series that sound really nice. I am thinking of buying the W760 in-wall to replace some NHT speakers but if the S16 is significantly better, I may just use that instead of the in-wall.

John Schuermann, do you have any contacts at Revel that can shed their opinion on the in-walls vs. their new Concerta2 speakers?

Thanks.
post #8111 of 8214 Old 03-28-2016, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Revel Concerta S16 on-wall, or W760 in-wall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiceborn View Post
For the new Revel speaker S16 on-wall, has anyone heard them? How do they compare to their in-wall/in-ceiling speakers. I have their in-wall speakers, the 500 series that sound really nice. I am thinking of buying the W760 in-wall to replace some NHT speakers but if the S16 is significantly better, I may just use that instead of the in-wall.

John Schuermann, do you have any contacts at Revel that can shed their opinion on the in-walls vs. their new Concerta2 speakers?

Thanks.
Hello Twiceborn,
What is your application? Will you be using a subwoofer? The S16 is intended for use with a subwoofer, crossed-over at 80 Hz. It is essentially the same as the M16 monitor, but with a sealed enclosure, and of course a crossover network optimized for the different LF characteristics, and especially the half-space on-wall environment. If you will not be using a subwoofer, the W760 would be a better choice.

Best regards,
Kevin
post #8112 of 8214 Old 03-29-2016, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by avkv View Post
Hello Twiceborn,
What is your application? Will you be using a subwoofer? The S16 is intended for use with a subwoofer, crossed-over at 80 Hz. It is essentially the same as the M16 monitor, but with a sealed enclosure, and of course a crossover network optimized for the different LF characteristics, and especially the half-space on-wall environment. If you will not be using a subwoofer, the W760 would be a better choice.

Best regards,
Kevin
I will be using it for subwoofer. I will wait for the S16, whenever a discounted/used one shows up on ebay. LOL. I always buy online but Revel doesn't sell online unless it is on ebay as used or something.

Although, since I posted on this forum a few days back, I notice the Revel W760s that were on Amazon were taken off. I know they weren't supposed to sell there but can't help but wonder if my posting had something to do with it being removed. Nuts...oh well!
post #8113 of 8214 Old 03-29-2016, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The local dealer finally has some F36's in stock.
I asked if I could audition them.

$200 to audition them!

Apparently because they would then be considered used if taken out of the box and then they couldn't sell them for the same price as new. So I'm supposed to pay the difference?

Yeah, right. I've never heard of spending money to audition anything.
I don't see them being around much longer if they think people are going to do that.
post #8114 of 8214 Old 03-29-2016, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinF View Post

$200 to audition them!

Apparently because they would then be considered used if taken out of the box and then they couldn't sell them for the same price as new. So I'm supposed to pay the difference?

I don't see them being around much longer if they think people are going to do that.
Is this an actual retail showroom? I'd think if so that they'd have a pair to demo if they are a serious Revel dealer. Maybe not, I know you can't have EVERYTHING on demo, but still. That seems kinda ridiculous.
post #8115 of 8214 Old 03-29-2016, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 136
thats silly, I would stay away from that dealer if they really were a dealer.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc800v, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Velodyne HGS 12, VA 1512, Rythmik FV15HP
post #8116 of 8214 Old 03-29-2016, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

$200 to audition them!

Apparently because they would then be considered used if taken out of the box and then they couldn't sell them for the same price as new.
Ha ha, not surprised at all! The dealer in Los Angeles I heard the F208's told me they don't let customers audition speakers in their home, period. He proceeded to say this (paraphrasing here): If you like them here in the demo room you should also like them in your home, they won't sound worse.
post #8117 of 8214 Old 03-29-2016, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

$200 to audition them!

Nope, you shouldn't need to for a dealer show room audition. In home is quite rare. I would find another dealer and/or contact Revel. These are a current model.
post #8118 of 8214 Old 03-29-2016, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrader View Post
Ha ha, not surprised at all! The dealer in Los Angeles I heard the F208's told me they don't let customers audition speakers in their home, period. He proceeded to say this (paraphrasing here): If you like them here in the demo room you should also like them in your home, they won't sound worse.
This place wanted $200 just to hear them in their demo room, never mind taking them home.

Maybe Revel should be checking their dealers more carefully. This one was from putting in zip code on their website so they must have some communication.

I mean, these are only $2k pair speaker. Every manufacturer that I know makes a decent pair at that price. If they want to even stay in the market, they'll have to do better than that.

Definitely lost a sale here. They may be good (I don't know for sure because I haven't heard them), but 10 miles away a dealer sells half dozen other manufacturers. I called them up and all are on display to hear. No charge!
Unfortunately there's no other Revel dealers close by.
post #8119 of 8214 Old 03-30-2016, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Revel Owners Thread

$200 for an in-store audition...wow. I wouldn't have given him anything either...except the finger

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
John Schuermann likes this.

Last edited by ambesolman; 03-30-2016 at 02:01 PM.
post #8120 of 8214 Old 03-30-2016, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
This place wanted $200 just to hear them in their demo room, never mind taking them home.

Maybe Revel should be checking their dealers more carefully. This one was from putting in zip code on their website so they must have some communication.

I mean, these are only $2k pair speaker. Every manufacturer that I know makes a decent pair at that price. If they want to even stay in the market, they'll have to do better than that.

Definitely lost a sale here. They may be good (I don't know for sure because I haven't heard them), but 10 miles away a dealer sells half dozen other manufacturers. I called them up and all are on display to hear. No charge!
Unfortunately there's no other Revel dealers close by.
Lol. Someones business obviously isn't going very well if he is scratching for every $ he can get.
Here in Europe, I have seen every way except the one you mentioned. One dealer opened up couple of different headphone amps for me to listen and sold me the one I wanted for full price.
Other dealers, for example dealer that had B&W, Piega and some others had a room with high end gear to demo, iirc they will never open new high ends for you to listen, but they also don't have to since they have them all in demo room and after a lenghty period of time they will also sell their demo stuff at some discount.
One other dealer also told me he cannot let me hear speaker I wanted to demo yet, until some audio show where they will open and demo it for first time, and after that I will get a discount since its a demo sample
So yeah, I have heard it every kind of a way, but never had to pay

Last edited by donktard; 03-30-2016 at 03:05 PM.
post #8121 of 8214 Old 03-31-2016, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The dealer should have just said they couldn't take F36's out of the box since they could no longer sell them as new, rather than having the gall to ask $200 for an audition.

Auditioning some Revel models can be difficult, depending on where you live unfortunately. I was lucky there was ANY Revel dealer in my area when I made my first purchase a couple of years ago.
post #8122 of 8214 Old 03-31-2016, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.
Sorry I missed this and did not respond earlier!

The new S16 and the M16 share the same drivers but a different cabinet. When we were at the Harman booth at CEDIA we asked about the performance of the two designs. We were told that the M16 would outperform the S16 due to the design of the cabinet, as it has the tapered design to help minimize refraction and a more idealized volume. However, the overall sound of both speakers was very very similar. The M16 has a bit more practical bass extension.

I am personally using the M16 as my side surround speakers in an ATMOS setup, with JBL LSR708s across the front. The M16 is an amazing sounding speaker, and the S16 is not far behind. I have posted about this before, but it was the Revel M16 we heard in the double blind listening chamber at Harman Academy, where it handily beat the competition from Polk, Monitor Audio, and KEF.

How the S16 might compare to the W760 I really can't say as I've never compared them. I will see if I can get an opinion from someone in the know Assume you are actually asking about the W763?

John Schuermann
post #8123 of 8214 Old 03-31-2016, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I will be using it for subwoofer. I will wait for the S16, whenever a discounted/used one shows up on ebay. LOL. I always buy online but Revel doesn't sell online unless it is on ebay as used or something.

Although, since I posted on this forum a few days back, I notice the Revel W760s that were on Amazon were taken off. I know they weren't supposed to sell there but can't help but wonder if my posting had something to do with it being removed. Nuts...oh well!
W760s are discontinued quite a while back I believe. Not sure what was going on there...

John Schuermann
post #8124 of 8214 Old 03-31-2016, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

$200 to audition them!

Wow. That's pretty ridiculous. We have a set here and are more than happy to let people take them home if they so desire.

John Schuermann
post #8125 of 8214 Old 04-01-2016, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

I'd contact Revel...a quick email and report this dealer. See what they say.
post #8126 of 8214 Old 04-03-2016, 10:31 AM

Any recommendations for amp for C208? I kinda feel my AVR doesn't cut it.
post #8127 of 8214 Old 04-03-2016, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by donktard View Post
Any recommendations for amp for C208? I kinda feel my AVR doesn't cut it.
Budget?
post #8128 of 8214 Old 04-03-2016, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Has anyone used the Performa3 M105 for Dolby Atmos height speakers? If so, how did you mount them and point down at the seating position? Can you use the 3 screw holes in the bottom? In ceiling is not an option for me.
post #8129 of 8214 Old 04-03-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steady teddy View Post
Budget?
Right now its more a hypotethical question, I want to hear what other people have and are happy with. My current AVR is Denon X5200 and I noticed hissy dialogue in some movies (and probably clipping). I am yet to pinpoint exactly the issue of hiss, but right now I believe its a combination of Audyssey calibration boosting high frequencies + lack of amp power.

EDIT: well, its not due to the lack of power. Hiss was part of an audio track and it seems to be more audible when boosting highs.

Last edited by donktard; 04-03-2016 at 03:25 PM.
post #8130 of 8214 Old 04-04-2016, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Tough to answer but I'm guessing an F208 driven with a receiver falls in the minority.

It really goes without saying that it's common knowledge - using a separate power amp and other quality associated equipment is needed to maximize the sound quality of the F208 or any quality set of speakers.

But I'd rather have a $5000 speaker being driven by $2000 in electronics vs. the other way around.
RichB and John Schuermann like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page