Revel Owners Thread - Page 274 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 398Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2016, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe, Croatia
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post
See my response directly above ^^^
Indeed, I am quite happy with my salons. I was just curious about Gooddocs statement of "having right tools for the job" and what it refers to.

Btw, I would definitely like to spend some quality time in room on that picture.
John Schuermann likes this.
donktard is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-26-2016, 03:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
steady teddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Macomb, Michigan
Posts: 800
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph66 View Post
Are there any deals to be had out there on the F208's or is the $5K MSRP kind of set in stone?
I don't think pricing discussions are allowed but no, the MSRP is not set in stone. I didn't pay MSRP for my F208's.
steady teddy is offline  
Old 04-26-2016, 04:32 AM
Member
 
triumph66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by steady teddy View Post
I don't think pricing discussions are allowed but no, the MSRP is not set in stone. I didn't pay MSRP for my F208's.
My bad. I haven't shopped for speakers for years and was unaware of the no price discussion. I'll scan the forum rules.

Thanks for the reply though and the heads up on your experience.
triumph66 is offline  
Old 04-26-2016, 06:57 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,719
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph66 View Post
My bad. I haven't shopped for speakers for years and was unaware of the no price discussion. I'll scan the forum rules.

Thanks for the reply though and the heads up on your experience.
Yeah, the AVS forum rules are pretty much no price discussion anywhere on the board, except in places like the "great found deals" forum. Just as a hint, you're less likely to find good discounts at your local dealer as opposed to looking elsewhere (try contacting some of the dealers who post in the forums and carry the line you're interested in).
gsr is online now  
Old 04-26-2016, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,435
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2079 Post(s)
Liked: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by donktard View Post
Indeed, I am quite happy with my salons. I was just curious about Gooddocs statement of "having right tools for the job" and what it refers to.

Btw, I would definitely like to spend some quality time in room on that picture.
It refers to choosing a speaker that is designed to handle the task you want it to perform .

As to the Salon 2's, I am basing my opinions off the Stereophile measurements that clearly show compression starting at 95 dB sweeps. Based on that, I wouldn't recommend the Salon2's for a reference level HT application. Not the right tool for that job IMO.

Maybe those measurements aren't valid, underpowered amp, etc.? Don't know. But Stereophile seems like there measurements are well done.
Gooddoc is online now  
Old 04-26-2016, 08:47 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,719
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
It refers to choosing a speaker that is designed to handle the task you want it to perform .

As to the Salon 2's, I am basing my opinions off the Stereophile measurements that clearly show compression starting at 95 dB sweeps. Based on that, I wouldn't recommend the Salon2's for a reference level HT application. Not the right tool for that job IMO.

Maybe those measurements aren't valid, underpowered amp, etc.? Don't know. But Stereophile seems like there measurements are well done.
I like to listen to music and movies really loud at times. My 6 x Salon 2's and Voice 2 are capable of playing content FAR louder than I'm comfortable listening in my room (approx 16'x26' with a 14' vaulted ceiling) regardless of whether the content is music or movies before they show any signs of running out of steam. I'm pretty sure I would seriously damage my hearing before running into any limits with these speakers.

Rather than just looking at measurements, I'd suggest listening to any of these speakers before jumping to any conclusions. Unless you need to fill a huge auditorium or concert hall, I doubt many people are going to run into any limits of this sort with the Salon 2's.

I'm using a pair of ATI AT6007 7 channel amps to drive the speakers (currently biamping the front 3, the other 4 will be biamped later when I get around to upgrading the speaker cabling to handle that).
gsr is online now  
Old 04-26-2016, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,435
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2079 Post(s)
Liked: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I like to listen to music and movies really loud at times. My 6 x Salon 2's and Voice 2 are capable of playing content FAR louder than I'm comfortable listening in my room (approx 16'x26' with a 14' vaulted ceiling) regardless of whether the content is music or movies before they show any signs of running out of steam. I'm pretty sure I would seriously damage my hearing before running into any limits with these speakers.

Rather than just looking at measurements, I'd suggest listening to any of these speakers before jumping to any conclusions. Unless you need to fill a huge auditorium or concert hall, I doubt many people are going to run into any limits of this sort with the Salon 2's.

I'm using a pair of ATI AT6007 7 channel amps to drive the speakers (currently biamping the front 3, the other 4 will be biamped later when I get around to upgrading the speaker cabling to handle that).
Dynamic compression is insidious and typically not noticed until it is fairly extreme. Usually, it is noticed when it's removed.

My ears are not golden and I depend on measurements to keep them honest. That's why I look at measurements then I listen, not the other way around. There are some qualities of speakers we haven't figured out how to correlate with measurements, so listening to speakers is not unnecessary. But those we can correlate directly to accuracy or distortion can't just be conveniently ignored.
Gooddoc is online now  
Old 04-26-2016, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe, Croatia
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
It refers to choosing a speaker that is designed to handle the task you want it to perform .

As to the Salon 2's, I am basing my opinions off the Stereophile measurements that clearly show compression starting at 95 dB sweeps. Based on that, I wouldn't recommend the Salon2's for a reference level HT application. Not the right tool for that job IMO.

Maybe those measurements aren't valid, underpowered amp, etc.? Don't know. But Stereophile seems like there measurements are well done.
Okay, I am a bit confused now. Compression is narrowing of dynamic range of an audio content. Clipping is inability of device (usually amp) to deliver content at requested level, therefore effectively chopping off waveforms and causing distortion.
So when you say compression kicks in, and I think you are referring to picture where curve shows difference from 70dB at 95dB, what am I looking at? Inability of tweeter to deliver louder sound regardless of capability of amp? Some protection kicking in in speaker circuit which causes soft clipping and effectively prevents damage? Or is it just amp clipping?

I suppose also its impossible or very inaccurate to try similar measurement in a common living room. I got quite a mighty amp so that part wouldn't be a problem.
donktard is online now  
Old 04-26-2016, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe, Croatia
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I like to listen to music and movies really loud at times. My 6 x Salon 2's and Voice 2 are capable of playing content FAR louder than I'm comfortable listening in my room (approx 16'x26' with a 14' vaulted ceiling) regardless of whether the content is music or movies before they show any signs of running out of steam. I'm pretty sure I would seriously damage my hearing before running into any limits with these speakers.

Rather than just looking at measurements, I'd suggest listening to any of these speakers before jumping to any conclusions. Unless you need to fill a huge auditorium or concert hall, I doubt many people are going to run into any limits of this sort with the Salon 2's.

I'm using a pair of ATI AT6007 7 channel amps to drive the speakers (currently biamping the front 3, the other 4 will be biamped later when I get around to upgrading the speaker cabling to handle that).
True. Although reference levels are probably nice I often just neglect them and turn it up until dialogue is comfortably very loud and everything else just sits in place nicely. As for music, my reference is usually: "make that snare drum be in the room", but that's basically the limit and shouldn't be practiced for too long periods of time.
donktard is online now  
Old 04-26-2016, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,435
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2079 Post(s)
Liked: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by donktard View Post
Okay, I am a bit confused now. Compression is narrowing of dynamic range of an audio content. Clipping is inability of device (usually amp) to deliver content at requested level, therefore effectively chopping off waveforms and causing distortion.
So when you say compression kicks in, and I think you are referring to picture where curve shows difference from 70dB at 95dB, what am I looking at? Inability of tweeter to deliver louder sound regardless of capability of amp? Some protection kicking in in speaker circuit which causes soft clipping and effectively prevents damage? Or is it just amp clipping?

I suppose also its impossible or very inaccurate to try similar measurement in a common living room. I got quite a mighty amp so that part wouldn't be a problem.
Yes, what I was referring to is the dip in response that shows one of the drivers cannot keep up in that frequency range. The 70dB to 90dB is what no compression looks like. Something like that could be amp related too from a significant ohm dip, but given the amps used I think that's probably not the case. But I really don't know for sure.
Gooddoc is online now  
Old 04-26-2016, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe, Croatia
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Yes, what I was referring to is the dip in response that shows one of the drivers cannot keep up in that frequency range. The 70dB to 90dB is what no compression looks like. Something like that could be amp related too from a significant ohm dip, but given the amps used I think that's probably not the case. But I really don't know for sure.
Yeah, interesting. I am still kinda living with assumption that woofers will struggle first because of weakness of amp.
donktard is online now  
Old 04-28-2016, 10:54 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
New Revel Owner

Hi all,

Long time lurker and new owner of a pair of Revel Performa3 M106! Just finished installing them in the main room of my condo. They sound great whether TV/Movies or Music and I'm extremely satisfied overall. Powering them with an Anthem MRX-310.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Revel_M106.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	1411018  
John Schuermann likes this.
cavallino is offline  
Old 04-28-2016, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
Egan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bethlehem PA
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Just as a hint, you're less likely to find good discounts at your local dealer as opposed to looking elsewhere (try contacting some of the dealers who post in the forums and carry the line you're interested in).
Do you know of any dealers here who carry Revel? I'm in the market for 208's also. Thanks.
Egan is online now  
Old 04-28-2016, 04:06 PM
Member
 
Warlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticShrimp View Post
That's a pretty big room. I'd be looking at the F208.

My room is 13.5x18x8

For that size room, if you like it loud, also consider the JBL pro LSR708is. The new master reference monitors are the only high output speakers worth comparing to the Revels IMO.
Looking at your measurements many pages back where you compared the whole range, I don't see the benefit for going with f208 when the m105 plus sub would be just as good, especially for HT. Why the necessity for f208 in a larger room? Can the m105 not play as loud as the f208 in the 80hz plus range?
I can understand if it was 2 channel.
Also, why did you not go with the.c208 and instead went with m105 for center?
Thanks!
Warlan is offline  
Old 04-28-2016, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
SyntheticShrimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 513
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlan View Post
Looking at your measurements many pages back where you compared the whole range, I don't see the benefit for going with f208 when the m105 plus sub would be just as good, especially for HT. Why the necessity for f208 in a larger room? Can the m105 not play as loud as the f208 in the 80hz plus range?
The f208's mid driver doesn't have to play as low as the m105's mid-woofer (its crossed over at 270Hz). They can trade extension for efficiency in the driver design. The F208 both has higher power handling and is usefully more sensitive as a result.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlan View Post
Also, why did you not go with the.c208 and instead went with m105 for center?
Thanks!
I'm sure the c208 is a good speaker, but I have an acoustically transparent screen and exercise the option to take identical LCRs when I can.
SyntheticShrimp is online now  
Old 04-28-2016, 05:45 PM
Member
 
Warlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticShrimp View Post
The f208's mid driver doesn't have to play as low as the m105's mid-woofer (its crossed over at 270Hz). They can trade extension for efficiency in the driver design. The F208 both has higher power handling and is usefully more sensitive as a result.

I'm sure the c208 is a good speaker, but I have an acoustically transparent screen and exercise the option to take identical LCRs when I can.
Ahh that makes sense. The f206 should perform fairly similarly to an f208 for HT if sending lfe at 60 or 80 hz, right? Their crossover is 270 vs 275.

Would a single m105 as a center channel work well with either of the floorstanders or is the c208 hands down better?
Warlan is offline  
Old 04-28-2016, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe, Croatia
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlan View Post
Ahh that makes sense. The f206 should perform fairly similarly to an f208 for HT if sending lfe at 60 or 80 hz, right? Their crossover is 270 vs 275.

Would a single m105 as a center channel work well with either of the floorstanders or is the c208 hands down better?
C208 has much better sensitivity and can handle much more juice then M105 and I am fairly certain you want a mighty center channel since it handles most of movie audio anyway.
John Schuermann likes this.
donktard is online now  
Old 04-28-2016, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
SyntheticShrimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 513
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlan View Post
Ahh that makes sense. The f206 should perform fairly similarly to an f208 for HT if sending lfe at 60 or 80 hz, right? Their crossover is 270 vs 275.

Would a single m105 as a center channel work well with either of the floorstanders or is the c208 hands down better?
As the other poster said, If you're going for floorstanders for the extra output, you'll want the c208 for the output too.
John Schuermann likes this.
SyntheticShrimp is online now  
Old 04-28-2016, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,160
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 235
i thought this thru with the focal brand. the smaller models sounded fine...until I cranked up the volume and decided the bigger model was for me. the big thing to be careful of is usually the tweeter in any brand/model....they blow the easiest or distort first.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc800v, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Velodyne HGS 12, VA 1512, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is online now  
Old 04-29-2016, 06:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by beear View Post
I agree! I auditioned a wide variety of speakers including B&W, ML, Sonus Faber, Golden Ear, PSB, among others. Once I heard the Revels, I knew I needed to get them. I ended up with the F208's over the F206's.
How are the F208s for you? I've heard they need a lot of power to play wide open. What has been your experience?

DefTech ProCinema 1000 L/R/SL/SR
DefTech ProCinema 2000 C
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
sunPin is offline  
Old 04-29-2016, 06:52 AM
Oppo Beta Group
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 9,446
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunPin View Post
How are the F208s for you? I've heard they need a lot of power to play wide open. What has been your experience?
My brother-in-law bought the F206's and we heard them with a NAD integrated amp (150 watts) and they needed more to be driven hard.
He had Outlaw M2200 mono-blocks and they sound good a modest level but got harsh when driven into the high 80 DB range.
He upgraded to a Parasound A21 and they really rock.

I recommend a solid amp for spirited listening.

- Rich
sunPin likes this.

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | Oppo PM-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15
RichB is online now  
Old 04-29-2016, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Esox50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: IL
Posts: 1,620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavallino View Post
Hi all,

Long time lurker and new owner of a pair of Revel Performa3 M106! Just finished installing them in the main room of my condo. They sound great whether TV/Movies or Music and I'm extremely satisfied overall. Powering them with an Anthem MRX-310.
Nice install. What mounts are you using?
Esox50 is online now  
Old 04-29-2016, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jima4a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 1,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Just as a hint, you're less likely to find good discounts at your local dealer as opposed to looking elsewhere (try contacting some of the dealers who post in the forums and carry the line you're interested in).
Do you know of any dealers here who carry Revel? I'm in the market for 208's also. Thanks.
Where are you located?
jima4a is online now  
Old 04-30-2016, 06:39 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox50 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavallino View Post
Hi all,

Long time lurker and new owner of a pair of Revel Performa3 M106! Just finished installing them in the main room of my condo. They sound great whether TV/Movies or Music and I'm extremely satisfied overall. Powering them with an Anthem MRX-310.
Nice install. What mounts are you using?
Thanks!

They're Pinpoint AM-41. I enlarged the hole at the rear of the mount plate and used a 1/4-20 3/4" coarse thread bolt to secure the speakers using the existing mount holes in the rear of the cabinets. The mounts also grip the sides of the cabinet and include adhesive-backed foam strips to prevent scratches.
cavallino is offline  
Old 05-02-2016, 11:11 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavallino View Post
Thanks!

They're Pinpoint AM-41. I enlarged the hole at the rear of the mount plate and used a 1/4-20 3/4" coarse thread bolt to secure the speakers using the existing mount holes in the rear of the cabinets. The mounts also grip the sides of the cabinet and include adhesive-backed foam strips to prevent scratches.
I couldn't find an "edit" button (maybe my post count is too low?), anyway - to clarify, I used the rear-most hole in the bottom of the cabinets, and the adhesive-backed foam strips attach to the mount, not to the cabinets.
cavallino is offline  
Old 05-06-2016, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
shelly40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Well.... I finally will be joining the Revel club......

Will have a nice new pair of Salon 2 (Mahogany) in my room in 10 days.......

The waiting is the hard part......

Power will be from a Mcintosh MC452.... so hopefully, no problems there.....

Other speakers I listened to....

Focal 1038 be
Revel Studio 2
B&W 803 D3
B&W 802 D3
Dynaudio C2
Dynaudio C4
TAD Evolution 1
Monitor Audio PL300 II
Magico S3
Martin Logan Renaissance ESL 15A

The Revels may have had an unfair advantage, as my dealer is accepting a pair of speakers as trade in, and giving full value for them....

So my out of pocket cost is about 10k for the new pair......

With that kind of price advantage, it was a no brainer.....

2nd place would be the Evolution 1, which is a tremendous speaker..... but from a different dealer, so would have been a good amount more $$$... wouldn't have gotten the same trade in value.... and they are a more expensive speaker....

Any tips for when they arrive ?

Thanks

Shelly
John Schuermann likes this.
shelly40 is offline  
Old 05-06-2016, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe, Croatia
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Make sure to set up boundary gain accordingly so you don't have bloated bass if they are too close to the wall(s).
And make sure you don't handle them alone.
John Schuermann likes this.
donktard is online now  
Old 05-06-2016, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
shelly40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I know about the adjustments on the back.....

They are being delivered, unboxed, and put in position.........so I am good there....

This is for a system where music is the higher priority....
But of course, the occasional movie will be watched.....

It is a big room.... 16 x 35 feet.....with 9 1/2 foot ceilings......

Also have 2 JL F112 subs....what do people use for a crossover freq....
I am thinking at first to try about 50hz... I can also adjust the slope of the crossover
at 6, 12 18 or 24 db.....

Lots of experimenting to do, and see what sounds best to me...

Shelly
shelly40 is offline  
Old 05-07-2016, 01:36 AM
Newbie
 
GRfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Shelly, you're gonna love the Salon 2's. I purchased a pair last year. The funny part is it seems we went through the same journey. I demo'd speakers for months. I also started with an MC452. I'll spare you the details other than to say the Salon's will swallow every bit of power you send them. They are now comfortably enjoying an MC1.2 each - happily.

Keep us up to date!!


Sent from my Dumb Phone, please pardon any spelling errors - my phone is not very smart.
John Schuermann likes this.
GRfire is offline  
Old 05-07-2016, 09:51 AM
Member
 
bennyjammin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Yes, what I was referring to is the dip in response that shows one of the drivers cannot keep up in that frequency range. The 70dB to 90dB is what no compression looks like. Something like that could be amp related too from a significant ohm dip, but given the amps used I think that's probably not the case. But I really don't know for sure.
Looking at the associated equipment in the soundstage review, the most powerful amp they used was a 200W/channel Classe integrated amp, and the three others used were in the 150W range. I wouldn't draw any conclusions in that resonse curve given they shortchanged the Salon 2s in power.
John Schuermann likes this.
bennyjammin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
Revel
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off