Revel Owners Thread - Page 280 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 856Likes

post #8371 of 9515 Old 06-12-2016, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrPacMan View Post
I bought DALI spades (cheap and good) for my cables' speaker ends (I am also an owner of the amazing Salon2's). It solved the problem.
http://www.dali-speakers.com/loudspe...li-spade-lugs/

BTW: Nice looking room and congratulations with your new speakers.

Also: Thanks to John for lots of useful information in this thread.
Thanks, and that is my solution. I played with the doors this morning and to me, removing them seems scary There's very little "give" in my doors and I hate breaking things by my own hand. Love the speakers!

Last edited by Lindy's lad; 06-12-2016 at 08:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8372 of 9515 Old 06-12-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly40 View Post
For those with Salon 2, and Mcintosh amp, which taps do you connect them to ?
I'm using the 4 ohm tap per Mc's recommendation. They suggest going to the lower tap if a speaker's nominal impedance is quoted between two taps. As the Revels are specified at 6 ohms (with a low
point of 3.7 ohms) the 4 ohm tap accords with the recommendation.
post #8373 of 9515 Old 06-12-2016, 08:44 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy's lad View Post
Thanks, and that is my solution. I played with the doors this morning and to me, removing them seems scary There's very little "give" in my doors and I hate breaking things by my own hand. Love the speakers!
I bought spades these for the rears:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And these locking banana's for the fronts:

http://www.parts-express.com/angled-...insu--091-3608

- Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Salon2Rears.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1493657  

Oppo UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | BDP-105D | HA-1 | PM-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG B6 | Lumagen 2020

post #8374 of 9515 Old 06-12-2016, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
I bought spades these for the rears:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And these locking banana's for the fronts:

http://www.parts-express.com/angled-...insu--091-3608

- Rich
How long a run and what size wire are you using?
Looking at those locking bananas, they show that they accept up to 8GA wire.
post #8375 of 9515 Old 06-12-2016, 10:02 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
How long a run and what size wire are you using?
Looking at those locking bananas, they show that they accept up to 8GA wire.

8 foot Monoprice 12x4 speaker cable.
Not very exiting, but it sounds fantastic (bi-amped ).

- Rich

Oppo UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | BDP-105D | HA-1 | PM-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG B6 | Lumagen 2020
post #8376 of 9515 Old 06-12-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
The Studio2's doors are the same as the Salon2s. I bought spades for them because the backs are visible. I removed the doors on the Salon2's as GSR described. You have to apply a little force and I am not sure I found all the washers

- Rich
Rich, if you have four, you have them all. Just one per "post." I think they're nylon.

I did get my doors off this afternoon. It takes more courage than force. I use 'sensible' cables as well, the locking bananas and 10 gauge Belden that Blue Jeans sells. I used their interconnects as well. I've been pleased, don't see spending more on cables. Every studio I've ever been in has been wired with Belden, Mogami or Canare, but mostly Belden. Good enough for them, good enough for me.

This is the best sound I've ever had at home, and that's after 40 years of screwing around with this stuff professionally.

Mark Knopfler is a genius by the way. The sweetest guitar sounds I think I've ever heard! Brilliant product.
post #8377 of 9515 Old 06-13-2016, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post
Notice here which speaker Dolby Labs is using in their Advanced Technology Center, specifically in their Critical Listening Room:

Yes, those are the Revel Salon2s - times nine. Here is a link to the full article: http://www.mixonline.com/news/facili...isco-hq/427147

Lastly, here is an excellent video that shows how many of the world's best mixing engineers use the Revel Salon2s as their monitor of choice, including Bob Katz of "Steely Dan" fame (yes, I know I've posted this before). There is quite a bit of discussion about the micro and macro dynamics of the Salons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7VdX905iyo
Excellent post (post #8188). Thanks!
John Schuermann likes this.
post #8378 of 9515 Old 06-13-2016, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
John,

Thank you for the quick response. Somehow I missed that review from digital trends. I didn't realize you were a dealer for Revel speakers. I have a few questions about them so I'll go ahead and PM you.

Thanks again,
Z

Quote:
You should be happy to know that the Revels have been tested against KEF models during their double blind evaluations and came out on top (in fact, it's Revel's policy not to release a new model until it can best the competition during double blind listening tests).

The Concerta2s were just released, so they have not had time to circulate among the reviewers. There is one review you can read herre:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...WQfEiwj5QSaJDA

I have a set of F35s in my living room and think they sound tremendous. Of course, I am a Revel dealer so you would expect me to say that However, being more than a bit of a science geek it was the attention to solid scientific principles that drew me to the brand to begin with. After all, Harman has the biggest and best R&D / test facilities in the world, and the majority of films and a huge percentage of music recordings are mixed on their systems, JBL and Revel both.
post #8379 of 9515 Old 06-13-2016, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Well, after trying to watch 13 Hours: Secret Soldiers Of Benghazi with C208 hooked to Denon and experiencing horrible crackle a lot throughout the dialogue I hooked center to 250 Wpch Parasound amp. Situation definitely improved...still some crackle but much much less then before. I think most what i hear is from the track now.
post #8380 of 9515 Old 06-13-2016, 07:14 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by donktard View Post
Well, after trying to watch 13 Hours: Secret Soldiers Of Benghazi with C208 hooked to Denon and experiencing horrible crackle a lot throughout the dialogue I hooked center to 250 Wpch Parasound amp. Situation definitely improved...still some crackle but much much less then before. I think most what i hear is from the track now.

First, I would call Revel support.

You may also want to disconnect your other speakers and listen only to the center with this film, music, and test tones.

I had a problem with my original Voice1 center. The midrange was scratch. It turns out the driver was failing.
It could be detected by gently pushing on that midrange and the scratch was present.

- Rich
ECS01 likes this.

post #8381 of 9515 Old 06-13-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:

You may also want to disconnect your other speakers and listen only to the center with this film, music, and test tones.

I had a problem with my original Voice1 center. The midrange was scratch. It turns out the driver was failing.
It could be detected by gently pushing on that midrange and the scratch was present.

- Rich
Rubbing voice coil.
ECS01 likes this.
post #8382 of 9515 Old 06-13-2016, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

- Rich
You mean push midrange lightly while speaker is off and listen for a scratch?

I will definitely contact support.

EDIT: Tried pushing midrange. I feel some rubbing if i push it unevenly...like with one finger on side of a driver. If I push symmetrically or in the middle I hear nothing.

Last edited by donktard; 06-13-2016 at 08:05 AM.
post #8383 of 9515 Old 06-13-2016, 08:06 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

EDIT: Tried pushing midrange. I feel some rubbing if i push it unevenly...like with one finger on side of a driver. If I push symmetrically or in the middle I hear nothing.
Yes.

- Rich

post #8384 of 9515 Old 06-13-2016, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes.

- Rich
Tried couple of times scene where guy is screaming for a second. Confirmed with headphones that there is no clipping in audio at very loud volumes. So at like -12 on AVR (cc trim is -2) there is no clipping. At -6 when guy is yelling there is a "bzzzzzzzz" sound coming out (of tweeter I assume). Tried with audyssey off too just to confirm that calibration didn't do any weird boosts. Same effect.
CC is hooked on this amp http://www.parasound.com/vintage/2250.php
post #8385 of 9515 Old 06-13-2016, 08:44 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Tried couple of times scene where guy is screaming for a second. Confirmed with headphones that there is no clipping in audio at very loud volumes. So at like -12 on AVR (cc trim is -2) there is no clipping. At -6 when guy is yelling there is a "bzzzzzzzz" sound coming out (of tweeter I assume). Tried with audyssey off too just to confirm that calibration didn't do any weird boosts. Same effect.
CC is hooked on this amp http://www.parasound.com/vintage/2250.php

That may be, but you cannot count on it. When a midrange or bass driver is failing, it can produce higher frequency sound.
I have been faked out

- Rich

post #8386 of 9515 Old 06-13-2016, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That may be, but you cannot count on it. When a midrange or bass driver is failing, it can produce higher frequency sound.
I have been faked out

- Rich
Well I hope thats not the case, its barely a year old and kinda rarely used until recently since i finished my setup.
post #8387 of 9515 Old 06-13-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:

If the voice coil is failing you often feel it as much as hear it. I don't know about pushing from the side, a little interference might be normal if the coil is forced off center in the gap.

Last edited by Lindy's lad; 06-13-2016 at 10:36 PM.
post #8388 of 9515 Old 06-14-2016, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy's lad View Post
If the voice coil is failing you often feel it as much as hear it. I don't know about pushing from the side, a little interference might be normal if the coil is forced off center in the gap.
Went to local dealer so we compared it with his model. There is definitely something wrong with mine. So it stays there until they determine the cause.
post #8389 of 9515 Old 06-14-2016, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Went to local dealer so we compared it with his model. There is definitely something wrong with mine. So it stays there until they determine the cause.
Sad that there is a problem, but suppose it's good to know you are not just hearing things!

It could very well be that the amplifier in the Denon is not capable of delivering what the C208 needs without clipping. As you probably already know, too little power is more likely to fry a speaker driver than too much.

If it is a driver replacement, that's a very simple repair so you should be back in business in no time.

John Schuermann
www.thescreeningroomav.com Home Theater Design john@thescreeningroomav.com
JS Music and Sound Post Production Audio / Original Music for Film and Video
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
post #8390 of 9515 Old 06-14-2016, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sad that there is a problem, but suppose it's good to know you are not just hearing things!

It could very well be that the amplifier in the Denon is not capable of delivering what the C208 needs without clipping. As you probably already know, too little power is more likely to fry a speaker driver than too much.

If it is a driver replacement, that's a very simple repair so you should be back in business in no time.
Speaking of preventing damage, is there a way for me to personally determine maximum safe levels for listening/watching various content without damaging gear? Measurement mic + REW are tools I currently posses. Also, is it possible to use such tools to determine signs of damage in speakers?
post #8391 of 9515 Old 06-14-2016, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Aggravating! I had a problem with a Salon 1 several years that exhibited the same symptoms you are experiencing. It was the midrange driver. It was easy and quick to fix - once a new driver was in hand...
post #8392 of 9515 Old 06-15-2016, 05:56 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Speaking of preventing damage, is there a way for me to personally determine maximum safe levels for listening/watching various content without damaging gear? Measurement mic + REW are tools I currently posses. Also, is it possible to use such tools to determine signs of damage in speakers?
Yes, by measuring the system with pure tones that are specific to each drive (away from the crossover frequency).
If you see harmonics where there should not be any, then the driver can be isolated. I did this to diagnose a problem with a Salon1 mid-bass unit.

- Rich

post #8393 of 9515 Old 06-15-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Hello all,
I received my F206's last night. I set them up with my Anthem MRX1120 and my Rythmik FSE12 sub. I am really liking what I hear. Huge sound stage with nice layering. I listened to the speaks with ARC and without ARC. I think I am actually preferring 2.1 audio with out the room correction. I am now looking into a center channel. C205 or 208's? Any advice?

Regards,
Jeff
post #8394 of 9515 Old 06-15-2016, 12:33 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post
Hello all,
I received my F206's last night. I set them up with my Anthem MRX1120 and my Rythmik FSE12 sub. I am really liking what I hear. Huge sound stage with nice layering. I listened to the speaks with ARC and without ARC. I think I am actually preferring 2.1 audio with out the room correction. I am now looking into a center channel. C205 or 208's? Any advice?

The C208, the center channel is the most used in HT.

- Rich

post #8395 of 9515 Old 06-15-2016, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

- Rich

Even with the smaller 206?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8396 of 9515 Old 06-15-2016, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 18
How does the C208 compare to say the Aerial Acoustics CC3 or CC5 speakers? It looks like it should be one of the best available. Has anyone compared them?
post #8397 of 9515 Old 06-15-2016, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Quote:
Hello all,

- Rich
The C208 is a true three way where the C205 is a two way MTM in which that type of design can have issues off center. Plus, the bigger center is often worth it in home theater and multichannel music.
post #8398 of 9515 Old 06-16-2016, 03:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Hello all,
Thanks for the feedback on the C208. I just have to see if I can fit that beast! What is the consensus on toe in for the Performas? If I aim them dir at the MLP will I get the best imaging, or at the shoulders for width and loose some image?

Regards,
Jeff
post #8399 of 9515 Old 06-16-2016, 07:24 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthony1 View Post
Even with the smaller 206?
Sure, if you have the budget and space:

Here are the F206 specs:
10dB@30Hz -6dB@36Hz -3dB@42Hz

Here are the C208 specs:
10dB@34Hz -6dB@41Hz -3dB@50Hz

Because the C208 is not ported (sealed), it rolls off earlier even with the larger drivers.

- Rich

post #8400 of 9515 Old 06-16-2016, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Happy with my C205

Quote:
Hello all,

Regards,
Jeff
Jeff,

I use a C205 along with my M106 - all powered by Anthem MRX 310. For my room size and preferred listening position/volume, I'd say it's just right. I have no complaints at all. You can see a photo of my setup in post # 8202
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page