Revel Owners Thread - Page 291 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 459Likes

post #8701 of 8713 Old 08-18-2016, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 542
For reference, Kevin Voecks at Revel recommends a solid 150 wpc for the F208s. That typically means a separate amp rated at 150 watts per, not a 9 channel receiver that is supposedly rated at that power yet drops WAY below that all channels driven.

John Schuermann
www.thescreeningroomav.com Home Theater Design john@thescreeningroomav.com
JS Music and Sound Post Production Audio / Original Music for Film and Video
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8702 of 8713 Old 08-18-2016, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post
For reference, Kevin Voecks at Revel recommends a solid 150 wpc for the F208s. That typically means a separate amp rated at 150 watts per, not a 9 channel receiver that is supposedly rated at that power yet drops WAY below that all channels driven.
I tried running the F208's with my Marantz, but it was running over 100 degrees. When I added the Emotiva, the temperature of the Marantz went down 15 degrees. For the record, I couldn't tell a difference in sound quality between either amp.

Main Speakers: Revel F208's. Center: C208
SUB#1: Rhythmik F15HP. SUB#2: Stereo Integrity HST18 w/ Crown XLS2502
Marantz SR7009, Emotiva XPA-5
Projector: Sony HW55-ES, Carada 134" screen
post #8703 of 8713 Old 08-18-2016, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoysiaman View Post
I am going to get the F208's and I've been working with John who has been great. The recommended amplification is 50-350w. You say they are "power suckers," what is the minimum amount of power you would recommend to get great performance? I was looking at an amp that would give 275w to each tower and the center. Do you think that's enough power for the F208?
I use an Emotiva 2 ch amp.rated 300 w/ch. Before the Emotiva I have been using and old 6550 HK amp rated 175 w/ch.
Now I feel more confident and secure that the amp is not going to start cliping and may damage the F208s.
275 is plenty, congrats and enjoy. Keep us posted when the F208 arrive home.
post #8704 of 8713 Old 08-19-2016, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmoore2 View Post
I tried running the F208's with my Marantz, but it was running over 100 degrees. When I added the Emotiva, the temperature of the Marantz went down 15 degrees. For the record, I couldn't tell a difference in sound quality between either amp.
You would likely see the same results with the Marantz regardless of the brand of speakers.
John Schuermann likes this.
post #8705 of 8713 Old 08-21-2016, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Here's a first look at my custom cabinet. Nothing on the market can house the C208 so I had to go custom. Thankfully I have a handy brother-in-law.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1471811050269.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1615689  
post #8706 of 8713 Old 08-21-2016, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Revel Owners Thread

Quote:
Here's a first look at my custom cabinet. Nothing on the market can house the C208 so I had to go custom. Thankfully I have a handy brother-in-law.

Looking good! I was finally able to pick up the cabinet I had built out of a bunch of 15y/o walnut my folks had sitting around. Soft closing hardware on everything, walnut veneer all inside the center channel shelf, hidden wheels, lots of ventilation, wire runs, tinted glass. Really happy with how it turned out, the guy did a great job. Shelves aren't in it now as I'm not going to bother setting it up until after we move next month. It's already killing me! Fwiw, the pics suck due to my phone and really bad lighting which don't do it justice.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #8707 of 8713 Old 08-22-2016, 05:33 AM

What are the dimensions of your cabinet? How big is that center opening?

I think it looks really nice. You'll have to post another pic once all your gear is in it. My guess is that I'm 2-3 weeks behind you.
post #8708 of 8713 Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What are the dimensions of your cabinet? How big is that center opening?

I think it looks really nice. You'll have to post another pic once all your gear is in it. My guess is that I'm 2-3 weeks behind you.

84 X 24.5 X 28.5"
Center shelf is 38 X 12"

Thanks! I'll definitely post another pick once all set up, can't wait to see it myself. The center shelf is way bigger than my current center, but I wanted a space big enough to fit most any center I may change to in the future.

post #8709 of 8713 Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does anyone know if any forum members in Southern California that own the Salon2's that might be willing to give a demo? I've exhausted my dealer search between LA and San Diego, these speakers are impossible to audition.

"Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me" -Vizzini
post #8710 of 8713 Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBPM View Post
Does anyone know if any forum members in Southern California that own the Salon2's that might be willing to give a demo? I've exhausted my dealer search between LA and San Diego, these speakers are impossible to audition.
I know of a guy.

I'm currently remodeling and reconfiguring my system, but you're welcome to come give it a listen in its current state if you'd like.
post #8711 of 8713 Old Today, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
84 X 24.5 X 28.5"
Center shelf is 38 X 12"

Thanks! I'll definitely post another pick once all set up, can't wait to see it myself. The center shelf is way bigger than my current center, but I wanted a space big enough to fit most any center I may change to in the future.

Wow! That's big. It doesn't really look that big in the photos but will give you ton of the flexibility in the future. Mine should end up around 72" L x 23" H x 23" D with a center cabinet of 31"L x 13" H x 21" D.

Do you plan on using the feet to tilt the C208 upwards or are you going to have it flat?
post #8712 of 8713 Old Today, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wow! That's big. It doesn't really look that big in the photos but will give you ton of the flexibility in the future. Mine should end up around 72" L x 23" H x 23" D with a center cabinet of 31"L x 13" H x 21" D.

Do you plan on using the feet to tilt the C208 upwards or are you going to have it flat?

That's not small either! You should be in good shape for practically anything too.
I'll be angling up my current center, maybe get a couple of those adjustable stands since I'll have room to spare. No revels here, I use a 7.2 monitor audio rx setup. Will likely change one day when funds allow. I've only heard revels once. Listened to the 208s at the only local dealer they have. They sell revel but their primary business is window blind automation. The three speaker displays are literally set up in three different cubicles along one wall of their strip mall suite. They sounded decent, but to say their demo area was deficient would be a huge understatement. I'd have to find somewhere else to audition before plunking down that kind of cash. I may wait until after the new year when we're settled in the new house and then get an in home trial of the ascend sierra towers with the raal tweeter while looking for a different revel dealer. Wish I could just find local owners of each that'd let me hear them.

post #8713 of 8713 Old Today, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
I know of a guy.

I'm currently remodeling and reconfiguring my system, but you're welcome to come give it a listen in its current state if you'd like.
That would be amazing, thanks so much! I'll PM you

"Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me" -Vizzini
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page