AVS Forum banner
3M views 26K replies 1K participants last post by  Rex Anderson 
#1 · (Edited)
Since there doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated to this fine speaker line, and I am now a Revel F-52 owner I thought it would be a good idea to start an owner's thread for these speakers.

As an introduction Revel was the speaker line of the former Madrigal company which was acquired by the Harman Specialty Group, the high end division of Harman International.

The Revel line is most heavily influenced by two well - known designers, Dr. Floyd Toole who earned his reputation at Canada's NRC, where much of the science of modern speaker design was laid out (and where many well-known Canadian speaker companies got their start) and by Kevin Voecks who has won respect for designs at Mirage and Snell prior to coming to Revel.

The F-52 I own is the latest generation of the high end model in the Performa line; the middle range betwen the Revel Concertas and Ultimas.

June 2, 2011. Since I wrote this first post in 2011 I have added more Revel models to my collection. These are:

A pair of I30's purchased used. I currently have these in storage however I recently have decided to install these in my kitchen.

A pair of M-22's which form my bedroom stereo system. These in conjunction with a Squeezebox server form a truly wonderful alarm clock.

A pair of Revel Ultima Studio 2's which are replacing the F-52's I have had for 5 years now.

Edit Jan 10 2012: I have sold my Performa 52's, and there is now a new generation - the Performa 3's. See this

Edit April 14 2022: I have purchased a Ultima2 Voice2 to complement my Studios and replace my F52 center. It seems to be a significant upgrade.

See less See more
Reactions: artex4special
#41 ·
It'll be a question of getting a very good deal on a great old model that doesn't look good in many environments versus paying full or near-full retail on a new model that is very attractive and features all new engineering and a reputedly superior sound.

You know, I always rationalized the Ultima line as being good looking, but when I see it now (after viewing the Ultima2 line) it just looks goofy.

#42 ·
I can't wait to audition the new Salon's, but ultimately may have to settle for a good deal on the version 1's. Goofy looking or not, they are still one of the best speakers I have ever heard, and I am really jonesing for a full Ultima 5.2 setup for my future dedicated theater.

#43 ·
I actually prefer the look of the old version but if the new Ultimate sounds much better then I will consider upgrading. I have preapproval from the wife so far. Now I just have to find the cash. If I were to upgrade, I may consider the Salon over the exisiting Studio. My main concern is that it's going to be a dedicated room of 24 x 16' and the Salon may be too big.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich wu /forum/post/0

I actually prefer the look of the old version but if the new Ultimate sounds much better then I will consider upgrading. I have preapproval from the wife so far. Now I just have to find the cash. If I were to upgrade, I may consider the Salon over the exisiting Studio. My main concern is that it's going to be a dedicated room of 24 x 16' and the Salon may be too big.

My room is slightly larger. I keep going back and forth between a pair of Ultima2 Salons and a pair of Ultima2 Studios with a SUB30. The latter would cost a couple grand less and give serious bottom end.

#45 ·
Has anyone else experienced this?

I ordered the a pair of F12's and a C12 before the Labour Day long weekend, but I have yet to take delivery through the authorized Canadian dealer. Apparently the U.S dealers were made aware of a pending bump in price and they decided to stock up before the higher price went into effect. The unanticipated demand has caused their Mexico plant to be significantly backlogged with orders.

Thanks.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by options /forum/post/0

I ordered the a pair of F12's and a C12 before the Labour Day long weekend, but I have yet to take delivery through the authorized Canadian dealer. Apparently the U.S dealers were made aware of a pending bump in price and they decided to stock up before the higher price went into effect. The unanticipated demand has caused their Mexico plant to be significantly backlogged with orders.

Thanks.

It took me about 2 weeks from order to delivery for a pair of F12s and that was a few months back. Apparently, even before the price increase notice went out, dealers were having a hard time keeping them in stock.

Hang in there...they're worth the wait.

Scott

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma /forum/post/0

I have Revel F30's and C30, since 2001. The dealer I bought from had quite a few models on hand and availble for audition. Unfortuantly, since then, they've picked up B&W, and the last time I was there (been over a year now) they pretty much had no Revel stock on hand. There story was B&W's superior dealer support, supply availablity, etc (there were some issues for a while with backlogs and whatnot).

When the F32 came out it took me a while to even see one, but as it turns out when I finally did (in another town), the dealer there had a decent setup of Ultimas and All models of Performa (this was 2 yrs ago). They also had just opened (or bought) a branch in Tampa (where I live), though I don't know how it's done since.

I would have thought there would be much more talk out since the intro of the Concerta line (as many AVS members are looking for more "value priced speakers"), but I really haven't seen it.

I'm still happy with my Revels. I'm also looking forward to the rumored introduction of the replacements for the Ultima line sometime around the end of the year/beginning of next. They have been pretty much unchanged since coming out in 1999 (I think).

Besides being a nuetral, dynamic speaker, there are many things to appreciate about Revel. Among them is the large number of favorable reviews from reputable reviewers, including many with measurements.

This is a good thread; I hope we can keep it going.

Enigma, any thoughts on the F30 vs. F32? I'm considering a pair of F30s.

#49 ·
I've only breifly auditioned the F32. I think they have a similar midrange; not sure on the tweeter (the F32 may be just a bit smoother, but again, similar); the biggest difference to me in the bass. The F30 seems to go deeper and with more authority based on my limited audition of the F32. The F32 has been reported to be slightly more refined, but from my limited auition I couldn't confirm that. Both sound great, and pretty similar overall. The F32 has more conventional looks that a lot of people like (same with the new Ultima2's; while not conventional, they come closer than the old models).

#51 ·
I'm looking at getting the Concerta F12's, C12 and s12's. I still need to arrange for a demo with my local dealer. I know this is the budget line for Revel, but has anyone compared these to the Infinity Beta line? The specs on the cabinets and in comparing pictures, they seem very close. It seems like the cabinet structures are the same but the crossover and electronics are upgraded on the Revel.

Not that the comparison to the Infinity's have turned me away from the Revel, just wanted to know if any Concerta owners had considered the Betas, and what else you demo'd that came close in sound.

#52 ·
There are actually quite a few differences; see the review at Ultimate AV for a pretty good comparison.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably have gone for the F12s instead of the Beta 40s that I recently bought. Not that I'm unhappy with the 40s; I just like the idea of getting everything the Beta 40/50 design is capable of, and the F12 is just that--a good design freed from many of the compromises necessary to reach a fairly low price point.

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobiloff /forum/post/0

There are actually quite a few differences; see the review at Ultimate AV for a pretty good comparison.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably have gone for the F12s instead of the Beta 40s that I recently bought. Not that I'm unhappy with the 40s; I just like the idea of getting everything the Beta 40/50 design is capable of, and the F12 is just that--a good design freed from many of the compromises necessary to reach a fairly low price point.

I concur. I bought the Beta 50's, C360, ES250's, and a CSW10 sub about a year and a half ago for my bedroom. In hind sight I wish I had gone with the Concerta's instead. As you say, I'm not unhappy with the Beta's, but I think the Revels are definitely a step up for a minimal cash outlay.

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD123 /forum/post/0

I'm looking at getting the Concerta F12's, C12 and s12's. I still need to arrange for a demo with my local dealer. I know this is the budget line for Revel, but has anyone compared these to the Infinity Beta line? The specs on the cabinets and in comparing pictures, they seem very close. It seems like the cabinet structures are the same but the crossover and electronics are upgraded on the Revel.

Not that the comparison to the Infinity's have turned me away from the Revel, just wanted to know if any Concerta owners had considered the Betas, and what else you demo'd that came close in sound.

I didn't listen to the Betas, but I did listen to offerings from B&W, Paradigm, Totem, PSB and Dynaudio around that price point. They were all interesting comparisons...

But, you couldn't really go wrong with the F12's.

Scott

#55 ·
Hey guys, Thanks for the info on the Beta's.

I did read the Ultimate AV reviews on both the Concerta and Beta systems and just walked away confused. The comparison to the speakers he made were to automobiles, Buick and Oldsmobile to be exact.

He concluded that for about $500 more you get a much more refined system. But with the Beta's now being had for so cheap on-line (authorized dealer only of course!), the gap in price is much bigger. I can get the Beta 50 refurbs with full warranty for $500 a pair and the 360 center for $200, that there is about $1000 cheaper than the Revel F12 and C12 combo. The Beta rear surrounds would have to be purchased new but are still about $300 a pair cheaper than the Revels (x2 for 7.1). So for me I would be talking about a $1600 difference in price.

The $1600 question is: Are the Revels worth that much more than the Beta's? Are they that much better?

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD123 /forum/post/0

Hey guys, Thanks for the info on the Beta's.

I did read the Ultimate AV reviews on both the Concerta and Beta systems and just walked away confused. The comparison to the speakers he made were to automobiles, Buick and Oldsmobile to be exact.

He concluded that for about $500 more you get a much more refined system. But with the Beta's now being had for so cheap on-line (authorized dealer only of course!), the gap in price is much bigger. I can get the Beta 50 refurbs with full warranty for $500 a pair and the 360 center for $200, that there is about $1000 cheaper than the Revel F12 and C12 combo. The Beta rear surrounds would have to be purchased new but are still about $300 a pair cheaper than the Revels (x2 for 7.1). So for me I would be talking about a $1600 difference in price.

The $1600 question is: Are the Revels worth that much more than the Beta's? Are they that much better?

You may want to puruse this thread and read the posts by plhart. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=infinity

#57 ·
Thanks for the link, it had some good info.

I'm still going to listen to the Revels but I'm just wondering if $1600 more in price will justify the Revel over Beta. I have no place to demo the Beta's so I would be buying blind and returning them if I did not like them.

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauod /forum/post/0

I think the Revels are definitely a step up for a minimal cash outlay.

I agree. I have Revel M12s both front and back, C12 center and B12. My brother had his Beta system shipped to my house when I got it for him. It was Beta 50s, C360, ES250s and SW12. We swapped between mine and his using my H/K 630. We both noticed the Revels were definately smoother than the Betas. Just didn't seem to draw attention to themselves as much as the Betas did. Especially the C12 compared to the C360. So much so that he wished he could have gotten those instead. But for the price he paid (around $800) for his setup, he said he'd stick with them. Though he did lay first dibs on my M12s if or when I plan to sell them. Also before I got mine I also listened to Energy, B&W, Dynaudio, Paradigm and Infinity. Do a search for Concerta and you can see some of the old posts.

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by options /forum/post/0

Thanks.

I know when I first ordered my M12s, C12 and B12, the M12's came in 2 weeks. The C12 took 3 weeks and the B12 took 6 weeks. But the order was placed in June just as they started shipping. In talking to a local dealer, he recently said the F12s were still in high demand. His average wait was 4 weeks. But he lets his customers know that up front and they are fine waiting for the most part.