Revel Owners Thread - Page 314 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 802Likes

post #9391 of 9392 Old Today, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
You can certainly set your x-over lower than 80Hz but if you have a good set of subs I would ask why?
Even with monster amps you're asking them to drive some potentially very demanding loads.
Any decent sub can easily handle 80Hz material and it doesn't require expensive amps to drive then as the amps are only required to drive a narrow frequency band.
I know several people with large very capable floor standing speakers and none of them set any of their speakers to large, i.e., full range for soundtracks.

Just my opinion, but spending the money required for a Revel, JL or most other full line speaker manufacturers is totally unnecessary.
There are lots of companies that specialize in subwoofers, do them very well and offer way better value.
SVSound, Rythmik, PowerSound, HSU all make very capable subs.
I came into the HT world wearing buy-speaker-brand-subwoofer diapers. I'll be dragged out of the HT world kicking and screaming with a buy-specialty-brand-subwoofers tuxedo! IOW, I originally paired my B&W CM-9's with a REL T-9 sub and was happy with music sources. But it wasn't until I swapped it out for a PSA XV-15 sub that movies started to rock as well.

Since then, I've merged my 2-ch and multi-channel systems, so have Revel Ultima Salons for the mains, and a Revel Voice for the center. I at first ran the mains full-range, but the bass was unsatisfying because the speakers couldn't be moved to where they yielded the best low frequency response. Running them "small" reduces bloat and overhang, but still leaves artifacts from deep nulls. In any case, just wanted to share that the PSA and Salons integrate well in mu room.

Please be nice. I'm off my meds today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9392 of 9392 Old Today, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_sufferin_mind View Post
Since then, I've merged my 2-ch and multi-channel systems, so have Revel Ultima Salons for the mains, and a Revel Voice for the center. I at first ran the mains full-range, but the bass was unsatisfying because the speakers couldn't be moved to where they yielded the best low frequency response. Running them "small" reduces bloat and overhang, but still leaves artifacts from deep nulls. In any case, just wanted to share that the PSA and Salons integrate well in mu room.
A highly significant point that I left out of my post, plus having 2 or more subs helps a ton.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page