Revel Owners Thread - Page 330 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1072Likes

post #9871 of 9898 Old 07-16-2017, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post
RE: the SDP75. Kevin Voecks is putting together some info for all of us, but he is totally tied up through end of next week. It may be a little bit before all becomes clear, so please stand by...
From the above link, "Development is in progress that will lead to a drop-down selection of JBL Synthesis and Revel speakers within the SDP-75 interface, which allows the system to provide equalization above the Schroeder, or transition frequency, that cannot be achieved through in-room measurements."

This implies that JBL/Revel speakers can be improved by equalization based on factory anechoic data, without the need for in-room measurements. Can Kevin Voecks respond as to whether this data can be released to the public for use on other DSP systems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9872 of 9898 Old 07-16-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralguy View Post
From the above link, "Development is in progress that will lead to a drop-down selection of JBL Synthesis and Revel speakers within the SDP-75 interface, which allows the system to provide equalization above the Schroeder, or transition frequency, that cannot be achieved through in-room measurements."

This implies that JBL/Revel speakers can be improved by equalization based on factory anechoic data, without the need for in-room measurements. Can Kevin Voecks respond as to whether this data can be released to the public for use on other DSP systems?
RE: JBL / Revel speakers being improved by EQ without the need for in-room measurements (a la the M2 and 7 series JBLs). My understanding right now is that this is not the thinking behind providing this feature. The idea is having the anechoic data as the reference point, and then comparing it to the actual in-room measured response for dialing things in for immersive sound applications. The challenge is that so many speakers in an immersive sound setup are located off axis, and most speaker measurements only specify how they will perform on axis or within a specific window. So, the value of this feature is for optimizing off axis response within a room, using the powerful EQ system built within the SDP75.

EQing above Schroeder is generally considered a bad thing, but the new Harman research has shown it can be valuable in an immersive audio application, provided the ideal performance characteristics of the speaker (and what it's capable of) are known.

This SDP75 is shaping up to be quite a piece, IMO.
Brad/Viper-Fan and neutralguy like this.

John Schuermann
www.thescreeningroomav.com Home Theater Design john@thescreeningroomav.com
JS Music and Sound Post Production Audio / Original Music for Film and Video
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
post #9873 of 9898 Old 07-16-2017, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Not sure about the Paradigms, but pretty $#@$ sure about the Revels vs. B&W's, and don't think you'd even have to be blind.
Quote:
I don't know for sure specific to the 805 D3 and the M16, but generally speaking, B&W speakers have not done well against the Revels during the double blind listening sessions. Often the B&Ws do not even place in the top three during 5 way double blind listening matchups.
I don't doubt what you say, and therefore I'm looking forward to my new speaker configuration: Salon2 L/R, Voice2 C, Studio2 LS/RS. They are replacing B&W's 800D2, HTMD2, 804D2. Still in the boxes while finishing the room remodel, but only days away from deployment!
John Schuermann likes this.

post #9874 of 9898 Old 07-16-2017, 05:53 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Maga View Post
I don't doubt what you say, and therefore I'm looking forward to my new speaker configuration: Salon2 L/R, Voice2 C, Studio2 LS/RS. They are replacing B&W's 800D2, HTMD2, 804D2. Still in the boxes while finishing the room remodel, but only days away from deployment!

I like the way you think

- Rich
John Schuermann likes this.

Oppo UPD-205 | Sonica DAC | BDP-105D | HA-1 | PM-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 65C7 | Lumagen 2020
post #9875 of 9898 Old 07-16-2017, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2098 Post(s)
Liked: 1663
Quote:
Cool, someone more crazy than I! I settled for plebeian F206's for surrounds and rears to go with my Salon2/Voice2 front line. That way I only have to sell one condo. And do not worry, if the remodel drags on like they normally do, I am reasonably sure some kind soul would be willing to "store" them for you in the meantime so they don't get lonely. Before you get overwhelmed with offers, allow me to note that clean, clear mountain air is proven the very best for breaking in new speakers...

You are gonna' love those speakers... Let us know what you think. I have always admired B&W, and have a few roll through my system over the years but never owned a pair. Be interesting to see if your impressions match what I thought I heard.

Enjoy! - Don
John Schuermann and Karl Maga like this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #9876 of 9898 Old 07-17-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Cool, someone more crazy than I! I settled for plebeian F206's for surrounds and rears to go with my Salon2/Voice2 front line. That way I only have to sell one condo. And do not worry, if the remodel drags on like they normally do, I am reasonably sure some kind soul would be willing to "store" them for you in the meantime so they don't get lonely. Before you get overwhelmed with offers, allow me to note that clean, clear mountain air is proven the very best for breaking in new speakers...

You are gonna' love those speakers... Let us know what you think. I have always admired B&W, and have a few roll through my system over the years but never owned a pair. Be interesting to see if your impressions match what I thought I heard.

Enjoy! - Don
I'm relatively certain that the Twilight Zone theme song is the soundtrack to my life, but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on the Revels. I thoroughly enjoy the B&W's, but I expect that I will be like the crowd (Harman blind test results) in that I will prefer the Revels.

After break in, the first order of business will be comparative listening to determine if my subjective opinion remains that my ML No. 523 preamp and ML No. 536 monoblocks are superior to Bel Canto DAC straight into ATI Signature 6007 amp. It's just hobby fun, you know, entertainment.
post #9877 of 9898 Old 07-20-2017, 09:47 AM

Liked: 1
Does anyone know the volume in which the in-wall Revel speakers are designed to work in and what the minimum would be?
post #9878 of 9898 Old 07-20-2017, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revel Alliance View Post
Does anyone know the volume in which the in-wall Revel speakers are designed to work in and what the minimum would be?
The Revel in-walls assume a standard 16" on center stud bay and an 8 ft ceiling. Actually, all you really need is 2 cu. ft. minimum space in order to get good bass response (assuming most in-walls are going to get bass managed below 80 hz anyhow).

Hope that helps!
Revel Alliance likes this.

John Schuermann
post #9879 of 9898 Old 07-20-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
The Revel in-walls assume a standard 16" on center stud bay and an 8 ft ceiling. Actually, all you really need is 2 cu. ft. minimum space in order to get good bass response (assuming most in-walls are going to get bass managed below 80 hz anyhow).

Hope that helps!
After looking at the size of the fire rated back box for Revel speakers, which appear to have a volume of just over 0.4 cu. ft. I have been wondering how this reduced size affects performance. I guess the real question is: what is the minimum enclosure size to still achieve that 80Hz crossover.
post #9880 of 9898 Old 07-21-2017, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
After looking at the size of the fire rated back box for Revel speakers, which appear to have a volume of just over 0.4 cu. ft. I have been wondering how this reduced size affects performance. I guess the real question is: what is the minimum enclosure size to still achieve that 80Hz crossover.
I don't have a hard answer to this question, but did get this back from Revel tech support:

Question: What is the minimum enclosure size to still achieve an 80Hz crossover.

This is not something that has been tested. I’m not sure which model of speaker you are referring to, but I would think the fire rated back boxes would perform just fine for most models above 80Hz. As always, we recommend 2 cu. feet of open space for best performance and use the fire rated back box if needed for local fire rating requirements. For reference, here are the frequency responses for each model assuming open space behind the speaker:

Model number Frequency Response (+/-3dB)

C263 50-18 kHz
C263LP 50-15kHz
C283 36-18 kHz
C283LP 45-15kHz
C540 180Hz-20kHz
C363 55Hz-22kHz
C363DT 55Hz-22kHz
C563 50Hz-25kHz
C763 45Hz-28kHz
C563DT 55Hz-28kHz
C383 45Hz-22kHz
C583 45Hz-25kHz
C783 36Hz-28kHz
C763L 80Hz-28kHz

W263 50-18 kHz
W283 37-18 kHz
W253L 55-18 Khz
W363 55Hz-22kHz
W563 50Hz-25kHz
W763 45Hz-28kHz
W553L 50Hz-25kHz
W383 45Hz-22kHz
W583 40Hz-25kHz
W783 36Hz-28kHz
W873 40Hz-28kHz
W893 32Hz-28kHz
W970 40Hz-28kHz
W990 32Hz-28kHz
Revel Alliance likes this.

John Schuermann
post #9881 of 9898 Old 07-22-2017, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's the text from the new JBL Synthesis SDP75 press release. Remember, even though this technically a "JBL" piece, it equally applies to all Revel products - see below. (FYI, trying to keep conversation on this in the Synthesis / Revel thread, since that is where Kevin Voecks and Floyd Toole drop in from time to time - here is the direct link to the press release there: Official JBL Synthesis / Pro / Revel Home Theater Thread).

HARMAN’s JBL Synthesis Advances SDP-75 Home Theater Surround Processor: Optimizes Room with Trinnov Engine and Expands Channel Count

NORTHRIDGE, Calif. — HARMAN’s JBL Synthesis today announced several major developments for the JBL SDP-75 Surround Processor, and is introducing a host of new features and capabilities to the SDP-75 platform that will ensure that it remains the ultimate solution for the highest-performance home theaters. Among the new features and capabilities of the JBL SDP-75 Surround Processor platform is the integration of the Trinnov Optimizer engine, along with a newly-developed room correction target curve for improved performance.

In addition, JBL is announcing the future availability of loudspeaker anechoic EQ and a new HDMI board that will pass all commercially-available 4K consumer formats without degradation. Both of those items will be available at no charge to JBL dealers. Further, the company is introducing an upgrade path for existing SDP-75owners.

Along with these improvements, the company is announcing lower pricing in the Americas on all variants of the SDP-75, including the soon-to-be available 24-channel version.

Trinnov Optimizer-based Room Correction Now Included

The JBL ARCOS room correction system—implemented in JBL SDEC hardware—has long been lauded as a leader in room EQ. By partnering with Trinnov, JBL can now make use of the state of-the-art Trinnov Optimizer, which has been adapted as part of an eco-system for use with JBL Synthesis and Revel loudspeakers in the SDP-75. This advancement provides greater system flexibility through multiple EQ presets and loudspeaker configurations, eliminates unnecessary A-D and D-A converters, and can cost significantly less than systems using external SDEC equalizer hardware, depending on the channel count. The Optimizer engine is now included in all SDP-75 variants as a standard feature.

Trinnov Optimizer Upgrades for Existing SDP-75 Owners

Customers who purchased an SDP-75 with one or more SDEC equalizers may wish to convert to the Optimizer engine. In those instances, JBL is providing the internal Optimizer engine at no charge. Interested customers should contact their JBL Synthesis or Revel dealer for full details.

JBL Synthesis SDA Amplifier Interconnect Cable

Using the internal Optimizer engine will change the connectivity to the amplifiers versus a system that uses outboard SDEC equalizers. A custom 8-channel DB-25 to mini Phoenix interconnect cable is available fromJBL Synthesis dealers.

New Room Correction Target Curves

Based on continuing research and blind listening tests, the JBL Synthesis SDP-75 now incorporates a new target curve that provides an improvement in performance--even over the highly-lauded ARCOS target. The sonic result is better subwoofer integration with the main speakers, much-deeper and tighter bass, and significantly smoother high frequencies.

ARCOS with Other Surround Processors

The acclaimed JBL Synthesis ARCOS room correction system, utilized with SDEC equalizers, remains the preferred solution for processors other than the SDP-75. The SDEC has problem-solving features such as preset electronic crossovers for JBL Synthesis speakers, tuning files for JBL Pro M2 and LSR speakers, speaker arraying to provide additional outputs beyond the decoded channel-count, and digital Blu-Link connections to SDA amplifiers for simplified system wiring. Of course, SDEC’s can still be used with the SDP-75 processor for those who desire or who want to utilize the Blu-Link digital audio connections to SDA amplifiers.

Channel Expansion Upgrades

Owners of SDP-75s will now be able to expand the channel-count of their processors as system needs change. Examples include upgrading a 16-channel SDP-75 to 24- or 32-channels, or a 24-channel SDP-75 to 32-channels. Additional channels become important when utilizing multiple subwoofers or bi-amping loudspeakers.

Adding additional channels within the SDP-75 processor chassis is a more cost-effective way to expand channel count versus using outboard SDEC equalizers.

Anechoic Loudspeaker EQ Selection in Development

Development is in progress that will lead to a drop-down selection of JBL Synthesis and Revel speakers within the SDP-75 interface, which allows the system to provide equalization above the Schroeder, or transition frequency, that cannot be achieved through in-room measurements. This will be provided at no cost to owners, and will deliver sonically superior results versus corrections based solely on in-room measurements. Availability will be announced as the engineering comes closer to completion.

HDMI Video Board Upgrade in Development

A new HDMI video board is in development that will support HDMI 2.0b, HDCP2.2, 6G/600 MHz video with 7 inputs and 2 outputs—all with full resolution, color depth and HDR-10 (including “UHD Premium” content) and DolbyVision® capability. When released, the new HDMI video board will be available to no cost to dealers. Dealer installation is required and should typically take around 20-30 minutes. Installation labor charges are at the dealer’s discretion.

Availability is expected this summer.

Note that current SDP-75 processors can pass “4K” video via input #1 and output #2 , with performance limitations. Those wishing to utilize the full capabilities of UHD at this time can use an audio “break-out box” to provide video directly to a display, while routing audio to the SDP-75, or utilize a video processor with switching capability.

New Lower Americas Pricing

All SDP-75 variants will now ship with the Trinnov Optimizer engine included as well as Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and Auro3D audio codecs. Audio codecs can be deleted with a resulting credit to the dealer.

ABOUT HARMAN

HARMAN (harman.com) designs and engineers connected products and solutions for automakers, consumers, and enterprises worldwide, including connected car systems, audio and visual products, enterprise automation solutions; and services supporting the Internet of Things. With leading brands including AKG®, Harman Kardon®, Infinity®, JBL®, Lexicon®, Mark Levinson® and Revel®, HARMAN is admired by audiophiles, musicians and the entertainment venues where they perform around the world. More than 50 million automobiles on the road today are equipped with HARMAN audio and connected car systems. Our software services power billions of mobile devices and systems that are connected, integrated and secure across all
platforms, from work and home to car and mobile. HARMAN has a workforce of approximately 30,000 people across the Americas, Europe, and Asia. In March 2017, HARMAN became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.

Philip Weiss
Brand Definition
Philip@brand-definition.com
+1 (212) 660-2555 ext 23

© 2017 HARMAN International Industries, Incorporated. All rights reserved. Harman Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Lexicon and Mark
Levinson are trademarks of HARMAN International Industries, Incorporated, registered in the United States and/or other countries.
AKG is a trademark of AKG Acoustics GmbH, registered in the United States and/or other countries. Features, specifications and
appearance are subject to change without notice.

John Schuermann
post #9882 of 9898 Old 07-22-2017, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Revel Architectural Speaker Enclosure Volumes

Quote:
Revel Alliance,

First of all, I love your handle! An entire stud bay is ideal, representing a true infinite baffle. Our larger in-walls can get as low as 35Hz under those conditions. The fire-rated back boxes are far smaller than ideal, but are used either when fire codes demand them, or to reduce break-through sound in adjacent rooms. They are all optimized in 3 cubic feet more internal volume.

Kevin
post #9883 of 9898 Old 07-22-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
RE: JBL / Revel speakers being improved by EQ without the need for in-room measurements (a la the M2 and 7 series JBLs). My understanding right now is that this is not the thinking behind providing this feature. The idea is having the anechoic data as the reference point, and then comparing it to the actual in-room measured response for dialing things in for immersive sound applications. The challenge is that so many speakers in an immersive sound setup are located off axis, and most speaker measurements only specify how they will perform on axis or within a specific window. So, the value of this feature is for optimizing off axis response within a room, using the powerful EQ system built within the SDP75.

EQing above Schroeder is generally considered a bad thing, but the new Harman research has shown it can be valuable in an immersive audio application, provided the ideal performance characteristics of the speaker (and what it's capable of) are known.

This SDP75 is shaping up to be quite a piece, IMO.
To clarify, the "Anechoic EQ" that is being added to the JBL SDP-75 is very similar in concept to the JBL Pro M2. However, the JBL M2 was designed to take maximum benefit of this high-resolution anechoic EQ by requiring its use as part of the design. That can often free the designer to optimize other parameters that would degrade the amplitude response in a passive speaker. Then applying high-resolution anechoic EQ easily corrects what was degraded by improving some other characteristic. Note the ruler-flat response curves of the M2, which could not be achieved in a fully passive speaker. All Revel speakers are designed for operation without anechoic EQ, but nevertheless, can be improved with the use of proper EQ above Schroeder. Room EQ below Schroeder is really necessary for first-rate performance with any loudspeaker, due to the fact that the room dominates below the transition. In use cases in which the speaker is operated in far-from-ideal situations, such as if often the case for height speakers that are far off-axis, full-range EQ is indicated, but it must be done with low-resolution, since it is based on in-room measurements, and high-resolution EQ would certainly degrade the result. Starting with an optimized response, and then applying suitable lower-resolution EQ is indicated in such cases. Note that we do not attempt to treat first-reflections in a different manner than the direct sound, nor do we attempt to optimize phase linearity, based on numerous studies. Dr. Toole's books and papers explain this very well.

I should point out that the Harman research to which John refers is in this case not from the Harman Advanced Technology Group, bur rather from our work in the Luxury Audio Group.

Kevin
post #9884 of 9898 Old 07-22-2017, 02:03 PM

Revel Performa F206

Quote:

Enjoy! - Don
DonH50,

Your F206's are anything but plebeian! I realize you have the best for LCRs (congratulations!), but the F206s surpass speakers far about their price as 2-channel or "front" speakers.

Kevin
post #9885 of 9898 Old 07-22-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I don't have a hard answer to this question, but did get this back from Revel tech support: (snip)
Thanks for the information John, that is extremely helpful.
post #9886 of 9898 Old 07-22-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avkv View Post
Revel Alliance,

First of all, I love your handle! An entire stud bay is ideal, representing a true infinite baffle. Our larger in-walls can get as low as 35Hz under those conditions. The fire-rated back boxes are far smaller than ideal, but are used either when fire codes demand them, or to reduce break-through sound in adjacent rooms. They are all optimized in 3 cubic feet more internal volume.

Kevin
Thanks Kevin. I wish I could use them in the ideal conditions, but sadly I have to compromise. I can only hope that I am not going to be completely ruining their performance.

What would your recommendation be for 'Atmos' speakers that can be angled towards the listening position? Would you go with the same speaker used for the ear-level surrounds?
post #9887 of 9898 Old 07-22-2017, 02:58 PM

Immersive Audio Speakers

Quote:
Thanks Kevin. I wish I could use them in the ideal conditions, but sadly I have to compromise. I can only hope that I am not going to be completely ruining their performance.

What would your recommendation be for 'Atmos' speakers that can be angled towards the listening position? Would you go with the same speaker used for the ear-level surrounds?
Revel Alliance,

I strongly encourage the use of "real" speakers, rather than reflecting the sound from the ceiling. Sorry friends at Dolby, but physics does not work anything like the fanciful marketing drawings of how "Dolby enabled" speakers work. It is absolutely ideal for all of the speakers to be aimed at your listening position and to avoid diffraction and the SBIR dip by placing foam around any flush-mount speakers that are mounted on the ceiling, which is how we do it in our CEDIA JBL Synthesis demo theater.

Kevin
Ericglo likes this.
post #9888 of 9898 Old 07-22-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Revel Alliance,

I strongly encourage the use of "real" speakers, rather than reflecting the sound from the ceiling. Sorry friends at Dolby, but physics does not work anything like the fanciful marketing drawings of how "Dolby enabled" speakers work. It is absolutely ideal for all of the speakers to be aimed at your listening position and to avoid diffraction and the SBIR dip by placing foam around any flush-mount speakers that are mounted on the ceiling, which is how we do it in our CEDIA JBL Synthesis demo theater.

Kevin
I am looking at using a Revel in-wall or in-ceiling speaker, but have to make an enclosure for it rather than making holes in the ceiling. If I could do in-ceiling then I would probably go with the C763L.

So, if I had the W970 or W873 as ear-level surround speakers would it be best to use the same for 'Atmos' speakers as well? Or are they over the top for going over the top? (boom!!)

Can you elaborate on the use of foam around the speakers please?

Last edited by Revel Alliance; 07-22-2017 at 03:21 PM.
post #9889 of 9898 Old 07-22-2017, 03:30 PM

Immersive Audio Height Speakers

Quote:
I am looking at using a Revel in-wall or in-ceiling speaker, but have to make an enclosure for it rather than making holes in the ceiling. If I could do in-ceiling then I would probably go with the C763L.

So, if I had the W970 or W873 as ear-level surround speakers would it be best to use the same for 'Atmos' speakers as well? Or are they over the top for going over the top? (boom!!)

Can you elaborate on the use of foam around the speakers please?
Revel Alliance,

I cannot recommend any in-wall speakers for in-ceiling applications since they are not designed and tested for that application. Your dealer could add a safety cable to the speaker like they use for in-ceiling speakers though. It would be up to the dealer to fabricate a safe solution.

The purpose of the foam is to avoid both diffraction at the edge of the speaker, as well as to eliminate the "return path" to the ceiling. If you put flat foam up to the edge of the speaker, you could either use angled foam to gradually reach the ceiling or use foam far-enough from the speakers that the problem is eliminated. We used 2-3 feet of foam around all the heights with good results.

Kevin
Ericglo likes this.
post #9890 of 9898 Old 07-22-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I cannot recommend any in-wall speakers for in-ceiling applications since they are not designed and tested for that application. Your dealer could add a safety cable to the speaker like they use for in-ceiling speakers though. It would be up to the dealer to fabricate a safe solution.
I will be making an enclosure for the speaker to go in, so neither an in-ceiling or in-wall speaker will be used for the purpose they were designed, but I have to choose one. I will be aiming them at the listening position and I will make sure they are mounted safely. I am just trying to work out the best quality speaker to use for surrounds and heights to match with the upcoming M106Be speakers.

Quote:
The purpose of the foam is to avoid both diffraction at the edge of the speaker, as well as to eliminate the "return path" to the ceiling. If you put flat foam up to the edge of the speaker, you could either use angled foam to gradually reach the ceiling or use foam far-enough from the speakers that the problem is eliminated. We used 2-3 feet of foam around all the heights with good results.
What kind of depth would the foam be? Do you have any photos showing this please?
post #9891 of 9898 Old 07-23-2017, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2098 Post(s)
Liked: 1663
Quote:
DonH50,

Your F206's are anything but plebeian! I realize you have the best for LCRs (congratulations!), but the F206s surpass speakers far about their price as 2-channel or "front" speakers.

Kevin
Thanks Kevin, I was (mostly) kidding given the system @Karl Maga is putting together. Besides, it was sooo cool to be able to use the word "plebeian" in a sentence that I couldn't resist. As an engineer, as a rule, words ain't my thang...

Appreciate your contributions and insights, BTW! - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #9892 of 9898 Old 07-23-2017, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Revel Alliance,

Kevin
Do you have any pics kind sir?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Sony 55X850c
Harman AVR 1710Z
AJ Pioneer Complete 7.0
SW8MKII...
post #9893 of 9898 Old 07-23-2017, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Revel Alliance,

Kevin
Would the benefits you state for the Revel inwalls carry over to the JBL SCL line? I'm not sure how they would actually attach to the studs without the back box, but I could see how a larger "enclosure volume" could be beneficial.

Just curious and thanks for all the posts. Very informative.
post #9894 of 9898 Old 07-24-2017, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello
I have now upgraded from B&W CM10, CMC2, CM9 and CM5 to Revel F208, C208 and F206. Kept the CM5 for surround back:-). My living Room is rather difficult regarding bass. B&W sounded very bright, so bright I did not use my rig as much as I like. But now! IT is another world. Powerful bass and nice mid/treble. It's just right. Thanks to REVEL for making these fantastic speakers.

Regards
Bengt
post #9895 of 9898 Old 07-24-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
DonH50,

Kevin
Quote:
Thanks Kevin, I was (mostly) kidding given the system @Karl Maga is putting together. Besides, it was sooo cool to be able to use the word "plebeian" in a sentence that I couldn't resist. As an engineer, as a rule, words ain't my thang...

Appreciate your contributions and insights, BTW! - Don
Alas, the (4) x C763L's I've purchased for use as Atmos in ceiling speakers are the proletariats. But they're elevated by their relationship to the Ultima Salon2's/Studio2's/Voice2.
post #9896 of 9898 Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
DonH50,

Kevin
Don't mess with my F206's! I've only got eight of them!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Revel speakers initial setup.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	462.7 KB
ID:	2258097  
post #9897 of 9898 Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS3 View Post
Don't mess with my F206's! I've only got eight of them!
You are surrounded by excellence - an F206 Wonderland!
LRS3 likes this.

John Schuermann
post #9898 of 9898 Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

FYI, everyone, Harman is sending me an SDP75 to play with sometime in the next few days. I will be posting my thoughts and findings primarily here in the Synthesis thread. The idea is to have it here in plenty of time for our "Salon2 vs. M2" listening session in August. This means I will also get to calibrate my M2 / 708 / S2S-EX system using the new Harman curves - plus of course the Salon2s and any of the other Revel speakers I have on hand

Right now I plan on holding the M2 / Salon2 listening sessions the weekend of August 11 - 13th, which should give me plenty of time to set up and understand the SDP75 beforehand. It will also give us some time to figure out the best way to "blind" our listening comparisons between the two speakers.

Thanks to AVS for allowing me to post about the "speaker shootout" here on the Forum. I will probably be starting a new thread about it here soon, with their permission. Everyone here is welcome to attend. More details as I put this together...

John Schuermann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page