Revel Owners Thread - Page 339 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1155Likes

post #10141 of 10145 Old Yesterday, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Callahan View Post
Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. After looking around a bit, at the moment I'm leaning towards an Ascend Sierra-2, which is $750 new. My motivation is that the horizontal off-axis response is simply incredible due to the ribbon tweeter - it's still flat and only down about 4db when 45 degrees off-axis on the horizontal. The vertical polars are OK but not great, but this is fine for a center in my situation - people sit way off to the side in my living room, but everyone's ears are on the same plane. It's better than the M105/106, or any other dome speaker I've seen.

The only shortcoming I've noted, reading though this and the JBL thread, is that the speakers won't be phase-aligned with the mains, since the crossovers are completely different. If I got the Voice 2 (and only the Voice 2), and they were equidistant with the main Salon 2's, then effects would image correctly when panned left-right in movies. But this happens very rarely, and I don't think I care enough for this to be a major draw in choosing a center.

To recap, I think the only compromises this brings relative to e.g. the Voice 2 is excursion/max SPL, and vertical off-axis performance, neither of which I think will be issues in my living room.
I would be cautious of using such a different design (ribbon tweeter) and hoping the Ascend will blend with the main speakers. When I worked as a recording engineer, I used Genelec S30D monitors (ribbon tweeter). An acoustician was consulting for us on treating the control room. He measured the Genelecs with TEF and pointed out the ribbon tweeter had very different dispersion characteristics than the cone midrange driver and they did not blend well. These are issues Revel and JBL know about and have taken into account in their designs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10142 of 10145 Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post
I've included an updated diagram of my room and proposed improvements.
Obviously a tight space and a tough build. If you're looking to do an atmos set-up, not sure the reason for front height? If you're looking to maximize dts-x, than lots of options there(and I have little experience there). Not much I can add other than if atmos is priority, you will probably focus on couch as pll(unless love seat is very important) and keep spkrs aligned based on atmos posted guidelines and with 12' ceilings, maybe consider the 30-degree models(763l,ers610,ert) in-rear-wall facing down(for 4 matching atmos) with surrounds on side-walls as far behind couch as possible to complete a 5.x.4. This is me getting experimental(which I tend to do) but obviously your money and not sure there's a perfect answer here. Sorry, I know nothing about the AV123s.
post #10143 of 10145 Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmore View Post
Obviously a tight space and a tough build. If you're looking to do an atmos set-up, not sure the reason for front height? If you're looking to maximize dts-x, than lots of options there(and I have little experience there). Not much I can add other than if atmos is priority, you will probably focus on couch as pll(unless love seat is very important) and keep spkrs aligned based on atmos posted guidelines and with 12' ceilings, maybe consider the 30-degree models(763l,ers610,ert) in-rear-wall facing down(for 4 matching atmos) with surrounds on side-walls as far behind couch as possible to complete a 5.x.4. This is me getting experimental(which I tend to do) but obviously your money and not sure there's a perfect answer here. Sorry, I know nothing about the AV123s.
The reason for front height is that I cannot install 4 ceiling speakers and still be within Atmos guidelines for proper ceiling angles due to the distance between the couch and the rear wall. Having a 12 foot ceiling makes getting the angles right a lot harder versus some of the shorter ceilings many of you have. It's impossible to get proper minimum angles on ceiling speakers behind the listener. I estimate I'll need at least 5 ft of distance between the MLP and the rear wall. I only have about 30 inches.

So the suggestion was to just do a pair of ceiling speakers at about 25 degrees forward of MLP (which is what Dolby guidelines suggest) using the C763Ls. Front heights were suggested by another person on this forum to replace the second pair of ceiling speakers that I cannot install. Dolby considers this to be a lesser solution (a holdover from the Dolby Surround IIz days) but it is a legal solution with most processors including my Marantz 7703.

It is possible to do a pair of ceiling speakers for "height front" and Dolby Atmos enabled speakers in the rear as a hybrid solution according to Dolby. But since the ceiling isn't completely flat (a barn style configuration) which may lead to unwanted reflections. I've cobbled together a DIY Dolby Atmos-enabled arrangement with a couple of old satellite speakers I have sitting on my front towers. It works....sort-of. But the speakers are small and I think i can certainly do better. The other problem with doing rear Atmos-enabled speakers is that if I sit them on top of the rear towers, the left surround speaker is really close to the MLP which would be audible in not good ways to the listeners on the left side of the room.

The idea of mounting a couple of C763Ls in the rear walls above and behind the head of the listener and tell the processor that this is a rear ceiling Atmos speaker is interesting....certainly clever. But true ceiling Atmos speakers usually work better with higher ceiling mounting in order to get a more diffuse soundstage. If you have a lower ceiling, Dolby recommends Atmos-enabled speakers and this was borne out in many of the early published reviews of Atmos theaters. In-wall C763ls in your suggested configuration would only be about 6-7 feet off the ground, which is too low to work effectively, especially working with a pair of ceiling speakers at 12 ft high off the ground.

post #10144 of 10145 Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
The C208 strikes me as a very reasonable compromise to pair with Salon2's or Studio2's if the Voice 2 is out of budget. Did you go with black so any finish differences would be less of a concern?

I did manage (by shear luck) to get the center in piano black to match the mains. Good match visually and aurally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1413.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	838.6 KB
ID:	2299494  
Gary Sedlack likes this.
post #10145 of 10145 Old Today, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinaker01 View Post
I did manage (by shear luck) to get the center in piano black to match the mains. Good match visually and aurally.
Looks great to me. I bet it sounds great too. Congrats!

I am concerned about the center channel sitting on top of your electronics. They need air space above to let heat dissipate and the heat from the electronics is probably not good for the speaker finish either.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; Today at 01:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page