20Likes

post #91 of 7309 Old 01-06-2007, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA View Post

Actually the Infinity designer said the sub was pretty close to being the same product, and the others were not far off.

The Revel B12 sub weighs 12 lbs more than the "matching" Infinity. That's a pretty significant difference for if they are supposedly "pretty close to being the same product"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 7309 Old 01-06-2007, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA View Post

For $30k, one can have 2 top-of-the-line Revel Salon 2s, and the Voice 2 center.
Arguably some of the the most advanced passive speakers in the world, hmmm.

Then just throw Concertas in the rear...

Almost sounds doable if we sell the boat or sportscar or Harley or whatever other hobby we may have

Sadly this is the only one I can *almost* afford.
post #93 of 7309 Old 01-06-2007, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark russ View Post

The Revel B12 sub weighs 12 lbs more than the "matching" Infinity. That's a pretty significant difference for if they are supposedly "pretty close to being the same product"

True. the B12 is 64 pounds, the CSW-10 is 52 pounds.

I'm sure theres differences between the Beta and the Concerta line, but theres definitely important aspects of the design they share as well.

A side by side test would be interesting, Im sure the Revels will sound better, but ... how much is the question.
post #94 of 7309 Old 01-07-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

One more thing: Which other speakers would you consider being in same category in matters of sound quality as the two ones I mention?

CM7's from B&W would be worth an audition.

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #95 of 7309 Old 03-07-2007, 06:49 PM

Seeing as the last Revel comments were written over a month and a half ago, I'll ask anyone with any M22 experience to kindly fill me in on what I can expect when my speakers are delivered in 2 weeks. I bought them (new) and demo free based on old reviews of the M20. I know the M22 is a new design but What? HiFi and HI-FI Choice in the UK rated them very good and excellent respectively.
I understand they shine with good amplification. I plan on partnering them with a Classe' Cap101 integrated rated at 100w/8ohm, 140w/4ohm. Any comments as to whether that will make them shine. They'll be in a room 11' x 13', so not a huge space. Also, any comments on proper speaker stand height. I've read briefly that a stand a little higher than normal opens up the soundstage a bit. I'd really be interested in anyone's feedback. Regards.

Steve
post #96 of 7309 Old 03-07-2007, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo238 View Post

Seeing as the last Revel comments were written over a month and a half ago, I'll ask anyone with any M22 experience to kindly fill me in on what I can expect when my speakers are delivered in 2 weeks. I bought them (new) and demo free based on old reviews of the M20. I know the M22 is a new design but What? HiFi and HI-FI Choice in the UK rated them very good and excellent respectively.
I understand they shine with good amplification. I plan on partnering them with a Classe' Cap101 integrated rated at 100w/8ohm, 140w/4ohm. Any comments as to whether that will make them shine. They'll be in a room 11' x 13', so not a huge space. Also, any comments on proper speaker stand height. I've read briefly that a stand a little higher than normal opens up the soundstage a bit. I'd really be interested in anyone's feedback. Regards.

Steve

Well, I am in the same boat you are - I recently ordered and am waiting for a pair of M-22's based on reviews plus my experience with the F-52's I own, and also auditioning a pair of F-32's (which I understand are the closest to the M-22s in terms of technology). I really liked the F-32s, so I am very optimistic about the M-22's.

I think that Revels like power, but I am not sure that some fancy amp is needed since the impedence is relatively well behaved compared to other speakers in the same class. I am going to try an Onkyo A-9555 which is a class D rated 85 wpc at 8 ohms, and 200 wpc at 4 ohms. Your room is about the same size as mine. From my experience with other speakers in the same room, 85-100 wpc is plenty.

As far as stands, all I can say at this point is don't buy the Revel stands. I've seen complaints about the quality of these stands.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #97 of 7309 Old 03-08-2007, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I passed on a sweet pair of F30s for the bedroom recently, it was a Revel store that was selling their old demos. I couldnt get them to come down to $1500, which was already blowing my budget.... sigh.
post #98 of 7309 Old 03-08-2007, 10:12 AM

I purchased mine new thru Audiogon. Type in Revel next to search and you can see what's available new and used. I'm not looking to endorse a seller one way or another on that site but look for only positive feedback comments if you do buy there. Regards.

Steve
post #99 of 7309 Old 03-19-2007, 06:19 PM

M-22s (maple only) are on sale now. I am guessing that Revel is planning a replacement.
post #100 of 7309 Old 03-19-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbavnut View Post

M-22s (maple only) are on sale now. I am guessing that Revel is planning a replacement.

Revel is phasing out the Maple finish. Going forward only the Cherry and Black are the 2 primary finish...hence you see why they are trying to get rid of the Maple at 1/2 the price. I personally don't find the maple finish very appealing.
post #101 of 7309 Old 03-19-2007, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Yea thats ashame, i love light woods. The F30s i was looking at was real light maple.

Those new Revels look sweet, i bet many people will be upgrading, so who knows
post #102 of 7309 Old 03-20-2007, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My M-22's arrived about a week ago, and I have some impressions.

I'm driving the M-22's with the new Onkyo A-9555 class D integrated amp, which is rated at 85 w/ch. The speakers are mounted in a bookcase with the 'boundary' setting selected on the back of the speaker. The room is relatively small at 12'x12'. The source is a Squeezebox.

The combination of the Onkyo and the M-22's in a small room is excellent - this amp puts out all the power you need in this size room and has a very refined sound. With music like Norah Jones 'Not Too Late' album or similar small chamber music the result is superb. For music with more bass, say like Holly Cole's Temptation the bookshelf mounting seems to be a tad bass heavy. Certainly I don't feel any need for a subwoofer in this space.

My next step is to work on positioning a bit to try to optimize the bass response. I may also experiment with a DAC for the Squeezebox.

In general I feel that these speakers give the superb low distortion and high resolution Revel sound that I've grown used to - within the contraints of the room they are as nice to listen to as the larger Performa models. If I had space for stands this would really be a special setup.

post #103 of 7309 Old 04-15-2007, 08:07 AM
Señor Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 292
I have been an exclusive Monitor Audio owner for the past several years, but this week purchased an all Revel setup for my HT. This consists of pairs of the Performa F52's (mains), F32's (rear) and the I30 In-wall as my center channel. They are barely setup and certainly not broken in but already I feel that I have reached a whole new level of sound quality. Prior to the Revels, my music listening was mostly confined to back ground listening in a multi channel format. With the F52's, I have discovered what really good quality pair of full range speakers can do for music. The imaging, sound stage and tonal quality of the F52's is something I had never experienced before in my home. In the brief time I have had them, I have been listening to some of my musical favorites and even with my rather poor source player (Toshiba HD-XA1), hasty setup and limited positioning options, the F 52's produce a sound that I can only describe as like a live performance. The fact that these are beautifully crafted pieces of furniture only adds to the enjoyment.

It is true that I am in the Honeymoon phase with these speakers and the HT/multichannel performance is not dramatically different than it was with the Monitor Audios, but the 2 channel performance of the F-52's has brought me to a level of music listening enjoyment that I had not experienced before. I was fortunate in that I was able to audition these speakers before purchasing. The audition opened my eyes to what is possible with good source material, player, amplification and properly setup speakers like the F52's.

If anyone has a recommendation for a good source player for two channel ( I just sold my Denon 3910), I'd like to hear it. My other equipment is a Parasound C2 SSP and a Sunfire Sig 400/5 Multi Amp.

Obviously, I am happy with this purchase and now I get it when people rave about a speakers imaging and soundstage. For me, these speakers were worth every penny spent. To quote a line from one of my favorite movies, come on in boys, the waters fine.
LL
LL
LL

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #104 of 7309 Old 04-15-2007, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My 2-channel source is a Squeezebox SB-2 with a Lavry Black A/D converter.

A little unconventional, but it sounds real nice with my Revel F-52's.

post #105 of 7309 Old 04-16-2007, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

If anyone has a recommendation for a good source player for two channel ( I just sold my Denon 3910), I'd like to hear it. My other equipment is a Parasound C2 SSP and a Sunfire Sig 400/5 Multi Amp.

I've been using a Rega Apollo for a while now and absolutely love it. It sounds damn fine with the Concertas, so I can only imagine how nice it would sound with the F52's.

Scott
post #106 of 7309 Old 04-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Señor Member

Thanks Scott (and Surly Viking ). I really need a universal player that will play SACD, DVD-A along with regular CD and Std Def DVD. I'm thinking about one of the OPPO units and relegating the quirky and SLOW Toshiba HD-XA1 for HD-DVD only. It's looking like the smartest move would have been to keep the Denon 3910.

HToM

post #107 of 7309 Old 04-18-2007, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I finally took the plunge. I love the 802D speakers but after seeing the new Ultima2 line I was sold. They even passed the wife factor (whew).... I won't mention prices (not allowed), but I paid about the same price for the Salon2 as the Studio2's. So there are deals to be had.

Will report back when I receive them.

*text edit*
post #108 of 7309 Old 04-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post

Well I finally took the plunge. I love the 802D speakers but after seeing the new Ultima2 line I was sold. They even passed the wife factor (whew).... I won't mention prices (not allowed), but I paid about the same price as the Studio2's. So there are deals to be had.

Will report back when I receive them.

Congrats, they look fantastic. Are your Ultimas2's replacing B&W 802D's?

HToM

post #109 of 7309 Old 04-18-2007, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll be honest. If I had 802D's I probably would not have been looking for an upgrade. I had the original Def Tech 3000BP's x 4 and the CLR 3000 center.

I demo'd the 802D's and fell in love with them. Especially the tweeter. Looked like big penguins with the marlin on top. But I was asked to hold off on the purchase to take a look at the new Salons (promised I would love them).

B&W's were 7% discount. I wasn't thrilled about that to be honest. Revel's were a better deal for me considering the 4-way design and a little better sensitivity. My Dreadnaught is only 225W/channel @ 8ohms. It's not perfect but I'm going to try it and see what happens. I'm considering the Jeff Rowland ICE Monoblock's if my Dreadnaught can't handle them.

This is a huge step up for me. It is my understanding that the Studio's are closer in spec to the 802D's. I stayed away from the original Ultima line because of the silver or black (cylon) look. It just wasn't for me. If you look at the 2 manufacturer's (Revel and B&W) you'll see similar designs from the bottom stand, to the curved cabinet shape (side to the back).

I had an aluminum tweeter and wanted something better. I had told myself if I upgrade I want the Berylium or Diamond type tweeter.

If anyone is considering the 800D series, they are great speakers too. If you pick either one, you can't lose (pitty to be you... lol)
post #110 of 7309 Old 04-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post

I'll be honest. If I had 802D's I probably would not have been looking for an upgrade. I had the original Def Tech 3000BP's x 4 and the CLR 3000 center.

I demo'd the 802D's and fell in love with them. Especially the tweeter. Looked like big penguins with the marlin on top. But I was asked to hold off on the purchase to take a look at the new Salons (promised I would love them).

B&W's were 7% discount. I wasn't thrilled about that to be honest. Revel's were a better deal for me considering the 4-way design and a little better sensitivity. My Dreadnaught is only 225W/channel @ 8ohms. It's not perfect but I'm going to try it and see what happens. I'm considering the Jeff Rowland ICE Monoblock's if my Dreadnaught can't handle them.

This is a huge step up for me. It is my understanding that the Studio's are closer in spec to the 802D's. I stayed away from the original Ultima line because of the silver or black (cylon) look. It just wasn't for me. If you look at the 2 manufacturer's (Revel and B&W) you'll see similar designs from the bottom stand, to the curved cabinet shape (side to the back).

I had an aluminum tweeter and wanted something better. I had told myself if I upgrade I want the Berylium or Diamond type tweeter.

If anyone is considering the 800D series, they are great speakers too. If you pick either one, you can't lose (pitty to be you... lol)

Big penguins ... truth in jest. At that price/performance point esthetics can play a larger role as performance deltas are going to be slight. The 802's are special speakers but I could never get past the looks. The SO just laughed when she saw them, it was one of those don't even think about it sort of laughs. The old Ultimas got the same reaction. Looking forward to your report.

HToM

post #111 of 7309 Old 04-18-2007, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 72
For a source, I would suggest you look at Esoteric audio
http://www.teac.com/esoteric/index.html
They have a wide range of universal products. I have the DV50S. It is no longer made, but I think it is very good. They usually show up on A-GON much cheaper then retail. If I can make a suggestion. If you are serious about moving into 2ch, move your front speakers up so there is nothing in between them. If you think they sound good now, you should be in for a nice surprise. I don't have the revels. I have JM Labs 1027Be's. Congrats on your purchase.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #112 of 7309 Old 04-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

For a source, I would suggest you look at Esoteric audio
http://www.teac.com/esoteric/index.html
They have a wide range of universal products. I have the DV50S. It is no longer made, but I think it is very good. They usually show up on A-GON much cheaper then retail. If I can make a suggestion. If you are serious about moving into 2ch, move your front speakers up so there is nothing in between them. If you think they sound good now, you should be in for a nice surprise. I don't have the revels. I have JM Labs 1027Be's. Congrats on your purchase.

Thanks Mike, I will check out the Esoteric players. I know what you mean about the positioning of the speakers. When I was setting them up originally, I had them farther out into the room and the soundstage was more defined. I will be slowly moving them forward as WAF permits .

The Focals were my other option. I came very close to 4 1027Be's and even considered the 1037Be's. I heard the Revels first, a good deal came up and the rest is history .

HToM

post #113 of 7309 Old 04-19-2007, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I know about getting a good deal. That is how I got mine. My dealer was very desperate for cash in hand. It was a deal that I would never see again at any store. His loss, my gain. I have never heard Revel, but I am sure that they are fantastic. Every review has been great that I have read. I just saw you have the Parasound(Halo) C2. That is what I have as well. I just think it is fantastic. And it is real good in "bypass" mode.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #114 of 7309 Old 04-20-2007, 10:44 PM

Any F12 owners? Your thoughts?
post #115 of 7309 Old 05-01-2007, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

In general I feel that these speakers give the superb low distortion and high resolution Revel sound that I've grown used to - within the contraints of the room they are as nice to listen to as the larger Performa models. If I had space for stands this would really be a special setup.

Just curious if you gave the M22's a shot as the main speakers in an HT setup. I'm running the F12's as mains right now, but I've been fighting the upgrade-itis ever since I heard the F32's. My room is fairly small too, say 13x13, and I'm really getting the itch to pick up the M22's as the next step up in the Revel line. I'd still like to find my way into a pair of F32's or F52's, but I'm hoping the M22's can keep the ugrade gremlins at bay for at least another year or two.

Scott
post #116 of 7309 Old 05-01-2007, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I replaced some nice KEFs with M22's and a C52 and B12's for my 7.2 home theater system. Running them currently off a Lexicon RV8 It is a bloody nice system.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
post #117 of 7309 Old 05-01-2007, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall View Post

I replaced some nice KEFs with M22's and a C52 and B12's for my 7.2 home theater system. Running them currently off a Lexicon RV8 It is a bloody nice system.

Thanks for the response. I'm going to try to give them a listen this weekend. I know the M22's have drawn some pretty nice praise for 2ch setups, so it's good to hear that they make a nice sub/sat setup for HT. I guess I'm just a bit torn between whether I should hop up to the M22's now or just stick it out and pony up for the F32's down the road.

Scott
post #118 of 7309 Old 05-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well, I am now a member of the Revel Owners Club. I will be receiving the remainder of my system (I already own two pairs of M22s) on Thursday. My Setup is as follows:

Revel F52 Mains
Revel C52 Center
Revel M22 Surround and Rear
HSU VTF3 - MKIII

Its funny, my budget went form a simple mid-fi bookshelf system @ roughly $2,000 to ~ $8,000 for the Revels. For those who are in the market for Revels, shop around and get the best price (I got my entire system - all 7 Revel Speakers - for 40% off list). At that price, nothing (IMHO) contends with the Revel Performa Series! I can't for the life of me figure out why they aren't talked about more. The entire line is really amazing!

John
post #119 of 7309 Old 05-02-2007, 08:58 PM

Ssteel01,
I have owned the entire Revel Performa line-up at the same time and feel I could offer you some good advice.

The M22's are an incredible speaker and would do very well for HT in a small to medium size room if you are running them with a good subwoofer. They would do well with music and would only be a little lean on the bass. The F32's & F52's are incredible as well and they should be for their price tag. The F32's & F52's would only need a subwoofer for HT.

If you are just starting off, you can get the M22's and C52 now and when you get the extra cash, move the M22's to the rear and get a pair of F32's for the front. The F52's are amazing, but are they worth double the F32's, I personally don't think so. If you don't have a tight budget get the F52's at that point, but I think the $2-3K would be better off spent on a great amplifier or processor.

Bottom line, the M22's are the best bargain in the line-up.

P.S. If you don't care about color, take a look at the maple finish Revels that have been surfacing lately. Revel blew them out to their dealers at 50% off. That would be at 25% of Retail. Good luck.

Jason
post #120 of 7309 Old 05-02-2007, 08:59 PM

RMK,
How are you likeing those F32's and F52's? Have you had a chance to give them a good break-in yet?

Jason
Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page