AVS Forum banner
3M views 26K replies 1K participants last post by  Rex Anderson 
#1 · (Edited)
Since there doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated to this fine speaker line, and I am now a Revel F-52 owner I thought it would be a good idea to start an owner's thread for these speakers.

As an introduction Revel was the speaker line of the former Madrigal company which was acquired by the Harman Specialty Group, the high end division of Harman International.

The Revel line is most heavily influenced by two well - known designers, Dr. Floyd Toole who earned his reputation at Canada's NRC, where much of the science of modern speaker design was laid out (and where many well-known Canadian speaker companies got their start) and by Kevin Voecks who has won respect for designs at Mirage and Snell prior to coming to Revel.

The F-52 I own is the latest generation of the high end model in the Performa line; the middle range betwen the Revel Concertas and Ultimas.

June 2, 2011. Since I wrote this first post in 2011 I have added more Revel models to my collection. These are:

A pair of I30's purchased used. I currently have these in storage however I recently have decided to install these in my kitchen.

A pair of M-22's which form my bedroom stereo system. These in conjunction with a Squeezebox server form a truly wonderful alarm clock.

A pair of Revel Ultima Studio 2's which are replacing the F-52's I have had for 5 years now.

Edit Jan 10 2012: I have sold my Performa 52's, and there is now a new generation - the Performa 3's. See this

Edit April 14 2022: I have purchased a Ultima2 Voice2 to complement my Studios and replace my F52 center. It seems to be a significant upgrade.

See less See more
Reactions: artex4special
#8,661 · (Edited)
@zoysiaman. The C208 is sealed and monopolar, so it's the best possible design you can hope for going into an entertainment stand. I do not believe having more space left vs right, or top vs bottom will make much difference. Given a choice I would go top/bottom just so you have flexibility in tilting the speaker towards the listening position and for ease of getting it in or out.

My suggestion would be to have the leading edge of the C208 an inch or two out of the cabinet to minimize diffraction.

Edited to correct typos.

#8,663 · (Edited)
Having speaker closer or farther to the wall mostly has to do with speaker boundary interference. Cabinet might behave as an extension of speaker enclosure, its hard to predict obviously, but it definitely might reinforce some low end up to the point where sounds wavelengths equal the longest front dimension of cabinet. That is of course only rough estimation.
One thing I would definitely point out, in case you don't know is that C208 doesn't have a flat bottom and its actually meant to be screwed to the stand otherwise it might rock around. If I wanted to place center in a cabinet I would probably first leave back open, measure the response, then close the back and stuff the insides and measure again. Besides, you can always make back panel of cabinet detachable.
FYI the C208 ships with rubber feet for stability when placed on a non-Revel stand or flat surface.

The C208 also has boundary compensation controls that should help :)

#8,664 ·
FYI the F208 ships with rubber feet for stability when placed on a non-Revel stand or flat surface.

The F208 also has boundary compensation controls that should help :)
You meant to say C208? :D
Don't recall getting rubber feet with mine. Got picture maybe?

#8,666 ·
Sometimes we have to be creative when it comes to positioning our center speaker. When I switched to the Voice2 I found I needed a lower stand to allow it to sit directly under the screen and not have a collision. My solution was to have Montana Woodworks make a stand similar to this with the measurements I needed -
http://www.montanawoodworks.com/homestead-log-ottoman-stained-and-lacquered.html

#8,667 ·
@zoysiaman
I too am having a modified Standout Designs cabinet built. Luckily my folks took down a couple of walnut trees when adding onto their house in 2000 and had it cut into planks onsite. It's been sitting in their basement ever since until I got it a few months ago. Found a cabinet maker my buddy worked with who's been making it in his off time.
I saw the progress for the first time today and it looks fantastic so far. I made the center 1' high to future proof any larger centers I may pursue, soft close hinges on the doors and drawers, hidden wheels, etc., pretty much the same features as the SD unit just modified. He's got more trim, ventilation, wire runs and finishing to do, but I can't wait until it's done. I'm sure you'll enjoy a custom cabinet as much as I'm hoping to. Here's mine so far. Best of luck!

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]

#8,669 ·
Thanks, will do. Mahogany would be really nice, definitely post pics when it's done.

#8,670 ·
Some might find this interesting - Tom Norton of Sound and Vision went into the Harman double blind chamber and liked the F208s best of all, compared to the F206 and Studio2:

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/revel-trifecta#D7FGyhezGwMW7UdH.97

Some caveats in the review, which should be taken into account. Good pic of the listening chamber as well!
I remember reading that article.
I have not directly A/B'd the 208s vs my Studio2s but I like the 208s a lot and think they are a killer value.

I do think Tom's preference is more about his preferences than the objective performance of the 208s vs the Studio2s.

#8,672 ·
I remember reading that article.
I have not directly A/B'd the 208s vs my Studio2s but I like the 208s a lot and think they are a killer value.

I do think Tom's preference is more about his preferences than the objective performance of the 208s vs the Studio2s.
FWIW, I was not offering up the article as any kind of "proof" or evidence that the F208s are equal to or superior to the Studio2s, I just found it interesting. From my understanding the listening tests at Harman have overall indicated a definite preference of Ultima2 series over Performa3.

There were also some issues with the listening session too, as mentioned toward the end of the article (Tom was not aware he could adjust volume, for example).

#8,673 ·
FWIW, I was not offering up the article as any kind of "proof" or evidence that the F208s are equal to or superior to the Studio2s, I just found it interesting. From my understanding the listening tests at Harman have overall indicated a definite preference of Ultima2 series over Performa3.

There were also some issues with the listening session too, as mentioned toward the end of the article (Tom was not aware he could adjust volume, for example).
I know.
I'm willing to admit that my reaction to the article was in part driven by my gear-ego. ;)

I'm not looking forward to the day when the Ultima3 line is introduced.
My being able to obtain Studio2s was the result of 4 things happening in perfect timing.

Even if I could afford full-boat price on Studio2s I doubt I would spend the money.

#8,674 ·
I know.
I'm willing to admit that my reaction to the article was in part driven by my gear-ego. ;)

I'm not looking forward to the day when the Ultima3 line is introduced.
My being able to obtain Studio2s was the result of 4 things happening in perfect timing.

Even if I could afford full-boat price on Studio2s I doubt I would spend the money.
How do you like your Studio 2's. I had an opportunity to buy a floor model but passed for now. I generally liked them but was surprised that they were a bit soft in the bass while I expected them to be pistonic sounding down to 30hz, didn't seem that way to me. I was told that the room was lean in the bass. Very transparent, detailed sound yet not fatiguing. Certainly not warm but seemed accurate. Regards. Ned.

#8,675 ·
As John correctly stated, the room affects the sound of all speakers as does speaker positioning.
I've never found the Studio2s to be soft in the bass frequencies or anywhere else.

They are not the deep divers that the Salon2s are but I do listen to a fair amount of electronica and to me in my room, the bass is tight and real.
Another easy test I've done is to put my ears really close to the speakers, start at the tweeter and slowly work my down to the woofers.
The sound is amazingly coherent like you're listening to one driver.

I've raved about these speakers since I first heard them.
Personally if the price is right on those demos I would be all over them.
I basically got the same kind of a deal. Special order, the customer was setting up a full system, spouse split. End of system.

Even though I posted this opinion in variations before it seems there are some fresh folks here thinking about Revels.
I've had several systems over the years and briefly worked in the biz many, many moons ago.

At one time I thought I had hit the sweet spot because that system was brutal in revealing the flaws of damn near every recording I had.
CD, SACD, DVD-A everything.
The speakers had stellar measurements and the open, airy & spacious sound I love.
Don't get me wrong, great recordings sounded great but with anything less than that the weaknesses were often more pronounced than the beauty.
After a while it was really bugging me.

I've loved Revels along with other certain brands since I first heard the original Gems.

Anyway when I was able to get the Studio2s a few years ago what blew me away first was how good most of my music was sounding again.
It wasn't subtle.
I know this cliche is as tired as any but I started listening to music I hadn't bothered with in years.

I have certainly heard other speakers that sound excellent as well but I don't have the long-term experience with them
One of the members of this forum has overall the finest system I've ever heard.
Everything is tuned to the gnat's ass and then some.
Phenomenal. The only thing I'm jealous of is the subwoofage he has that is just over the top brilliant.

I can also say that the Ultima2s are superior to the original Ultimas in every way and not just by a bit.

#8,676 ·
Went with a buddy to hear some maggies he's think of buying and they had a used set of silver/gray Studios someone traded. Asking $4k, sadly didn't get to hear them.

#8,677 ·
As John correctly stated, the room affects the sound of all speakers as does speaker positioning.
I've never found the Studio2s to be soft in the bass frequencies or anywhere else.

They are not the deep divers that the Salon2s are but I do listen to a fair amount of electronica and to me in my room, the bass is tight and real.
Another easy test I've done is to put my ears really close to the speakers, start at the tweeter and slowly work my down to the woofers.
The sound is amazingly coherent like you're listening to one driver.

I've raved about these speakers since I first heard them.
Personally if the price is right on those demos I would be all over them.
I basically got the same kind of a deal. Special order, the customer was setting up a full system, spouse split. End of system.

Even though I posted this opinion in variations before it seems there are some fresh folks here thinking about Revels.
I've had several systems over the years and briefly worked in the biz many, many moons ago.

At one time I thought I had hit the sweet spot because that system was brutal in revealing the flaws of damn near every recording I had.
CD, SACD, DVD-A everything.
The speakers had stellar measurements and the open, airy & spacious sound I love.
Don't get me wrong, great recordings sounded great but with anything less than that the weaknesses were often more pronounced than the beauty.
After a while it was really bugging me.

I've loved Revels along with other certain brands since I first heard the original Gems.

Anyway when I was able to get the Studio2s a few years ago what blew me away first was how good most of my music was sounding again.
It wasn't subtle.
I know this cliche is as tired as any but I started listening to music I hadn't bothered with in years.

I have certainly heard other speakers that sound excellent as well but I don't have the long-term experience with them
One of the members of this forum has overall the finest system I've ever heard.
Everything is tuned to the gnat's ass and then some.
Phenomenal. The only thing I'm jealous of is the subwoofage he has that is just over the top brilliant.

I can also say that the Ultima2s are superior to the original Ultimas in every way and not just by a bit.
The floor model was tempting. What might make the discount price even a better deal is the fact that the Ultima hasn't increased pricing since introduction 8 years ago. Over that time high end audio inflation has been large in many cases, Wilson Watt/Puppies up something like 50-75% to current version at $34,000. At the end of the day there is always new or used stuff to look at and keep us busy, the hunt is often part of the fun. Thanks for the thoughts. Regards. Ned.

#8,678 ·
I've been absent from the forum so I may be a bit slow on the draw but (addressed to Cavallino) I was impressed by the FR of your system. Nice and smooth especially through the mid band and decent LF response given your constraints. I think your 10dB down point was close to 30Hz (?) which is impressive given what you are working with.

This wouldn't be your logo by any chance, would it? :D

Yes - the current setup sounds amazing to me, without qualifications (e.g., for bookshelf speakers, on the wall, etc). I posted the question here regarding an external amplifier because I'm always trying to see whether I can make it sound even better. The collective response from forum members was to skip the amp and get a sub. This idea, as I'd sort of predicted, did not pass the WAF filter. SVS PC-12 or SB2000, Rel T-9i, and NHT B-10d were my top subwoofer contenders, but ultimately I think I'll have to let it go for now. Oh well. Someday I'll hopefully have a bigger room and there will still be room in the "life budget" for a pair of F208s. ;)

In regards to Cavallino - simply an enthusiast and not an owner. I'd recently gone to the Cavallino Classic at The Breakers in Palm Beach when I registered for this forum, and thought "why not"?

#8,679 ·
And when you do move to a different location, consider moving the center speaker outside the cabinet, or at least stuff the empty space in the cavity. For more info on this topic, see Chapter 12.2 of Sound Reproduction by Floyd Toole. If you enjoyed that M106 review you'll find this book enlightening.
Thanks for the input. I did consider "stuffing" (but actually just "lining") the interior of the CC cavity with an acoustic absorption product but I ended up abandoning that project when I put the C205 in there. I think my prior center (SVS Prime Center; a ported 3-way) would have benefited a lot more from the treatment.

#8,680 ·
I wanted to upgrade my sound system and have been reading for the last few weeks about revel speaker, this has been very educational for me.
Has someone looked at Polk LSIM 707 and compared them to Revel performa 3, how about looking at the graphs can you judge from that how the speakers performs, I saw both had good reviews,
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/test-report-polk-audio-lsim-speaker-system#uSSG3XEKVIoLeUKQ.97
I am using it 80% movies and 20% music, have AVR pioneer elite sc 95 and 5.1 with NHT classic 3 line.
Any suggestion,