KEF KHT 3005 First Impressions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 86 Old 08-16-2006, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I finally got my KEF KHT 3005 system. It took its time getting here but seems like it was worth the wait. Started unpacking the box as soon as I got home. First of all the whole thing is heavy for a satellite speaker HT system about 69lbs to be precise. And the whole thing is packed really well. I mean the satellites are a pair in the boxes and the Sub and center have their own individual box and all of them are in a big box to keep it all together. Open up the Center first and it is wrapped in the nice suede like material (a sign of good things to come ) The first impression is the speaker it looks stunning!!! And I mean stunning! the finish is a nice gloss kind of like a shinny new car finish with the new car smell to match J The grills are magnetic and can be removed in a sec. I decide to remove the grills, as I like the metallic tweeter look (I like shinny objects ). Center has rubber base that can be attached to it along with a wall mount bracket. I had already increased the height my Pio Plasma to accommodate the Center from the specs I read online. I start unpacking the satellites and they are attached to their table stand, which can be easily converted to a wall mount. I have bough the matching stands that KEF makes as well so I decide to remove the base/wall mount brackets. All goes ok except the inserting the wires into the stands you have to make sure you insert them side ways as otherwise you will have hard time getting them all the way through. I had checked with the dealer earlier so I got my 16 gauge cables from Monoprice earlier as anything bigger will not fit the stands.. Now its time to get the Sub out. It is heavy to say thee least and has soft sides so you have to make sure you follow the instructions on how to unpack it correctly. Besides it is really well packed in the protective cloth/suede. Comes with 3 kinds of power cords (1 for Asia, Europe and North America) 1 extra fuse and three legs so it can be put on the floor horizontally as well. By the way if you figure out how to mount these legs PM me as the manual doesn't say a single thing about them. And I don't want to poke around with the shinny sub. Now I hook it up to my Pio Elite and we are ready to go. First comes the Revenge of the Sith as I want to check the Speakers with the THX settings. Everything seems ok except I mixed up the rear speaker wires despite the labels I put on the, Tsk tsk can't let this excitement get the best of me. So its back to the changing of wires. About 5 minutes later I a ready to go again. The cross over for Sub seems Awkward so even though the Manual says I should set it to 80hz I decide to try 100Hz and then go all the way up to 150 (your setting might vary depending on the room size) Now comes the real test I decide to watch the initial attach sequence in Revenge of the Sith and the initial impressions are above average. No I go back to the Receiver and so more tweaks. Back to the opening sequence again the sound is crystal clear and Bass is astounding. Now mind you this is not a full size speaker but I think this is as good as you can get in my opinion on a satellite set. Dialogues are crystal clear and have that nice ting to them. And did I mention how gorgeous they look yes they look absolutely stunning some of the most beautiful sound creatures I have seen. Mesmerizing, spellbinding etc. etc. They should really have a high WAF. Now I have spent about 5 hours in installation and have office to go to i decide to call it a day. Will do a more detailed test later this week. Meantime watch out for some pictures of this gorgeous setup soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 Old 08-16-2006, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I really liked the 2005 and have been intereseted in hearing the 3005. Sadly Ultimate Electronics dropped KEF and I'm left without a dealer close to me.
post #3 of 86 Old 08-16-2006, 05:32 PM

Liked: 10
They have received great reviews for sound, but damn those speakers are ugly. No way I could live with them.

Can't anybody but Bose make a satellite speaker system worth looking at? Why do we have to pick between sound and style?
post #4 of 86 Old 08-16-2006, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iahawkeye View Post

They have received great reviews for sound, but damn those speakers are ugly. No way I could live with them.

Can't anybody but Bose make a satellite speaker system worth looking at? Why do we have to pick between sound and style?

Well its a matter of personal taste I downgraded from Mythos Speaker set to Bose AM 16 (don't ask) and now I am on to the KEF set and believe me Bose hasn't gone anything on these puppies. Absolutely gorgeous even better in real life than in the pictures on the KEF wesbite. Will post some pictures when I get a chance to get them ready. Well saw 16 blocks today and since I am more of movie buff I want to test it more that enviroment. The experience was amazing. The subwoofer was spot on with bangs and booms. The Center Handled dialogue really well and the the voices were crisp. I had to make more adjustment in the cross over as the initial setting was not enough for male dialogues. BTW does anyone know what LFE attenuator setting mean I have 3 setting options 0 DB, 10 DB and Infinite. What would you recommend? I will also float this question around in teh Amp forum as well.
post #5 of 86 Old 08-21-2006, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As promised decided to spend a weekend with the new acquisition. So the whole of Sunday was dedicated to testing the New KEF. Started with Gladiator selected the DTS soundtrack as I liked it way more the Dolby Digital. The initial Germania battle provides a lot of interesting tests. The Sub would just about handled every Boom and Bang spot on. The Dialogues were nice and clear in fact I still can't forget Maximus speech "what we do in life echoes and eternity...!" almost stood up to give applause.
Next came matrix (yeah yeah I know has been exploited to zilch) and tuned into the Morphues Rescue Scene. I could hear the bullets drop with nice zings flying by me everywhere. Passed this torture fest with Flying Colors.
Next came Pirates of the Caribbean Selected DTS and let it run. Now as I mentioned earlier my Receiver allows only 3 settings for cross over 100, 150 and 200 and manual says 80hz and Zdnet review recommended 120 so I couldn't test both frequencies. But just for info 100hz was not rounded enough and 150hz sounded just fine (but maybe I can use 120hz excuse to upgrade to the New PIO 81TX )
All in all a very fulfilling experience.
Did try a bit of classic musical tracks played some classics symphonies and tested some Jimmy with the guitar. Also played to Oakenfold and all the music was nice and crisp. But again I am more of a movie soundtrack person so that's my forte` music is limited to in car and now MP3 players. But everything sounded nice.
Bottom line is the product get a thumbs up and if you are looking for satellite speakers you can't go wrong with these. Some of the best sound I have heard on this side of full sized speakers. And did I mention how they look drool drool!
Here is link to wet your appetite.

http://www.kef.com/ht3000/gallery.htm
post #6 of 86 Old 08-22-2006, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
How do you feel that the KEF's compare to the Mythos?
post #7 of 86 Old 08-22-2006, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRiS1 View Post

How do you feel that the KEF's compare to the Mythos?

Mythos are step up for sure but you are paying a lot more (almost twice in my case) also the setup I had then was more optimized for home theater setup so it's really not a fair comparison. Besides I had Mythos 4 for front and rear (no gems) and the center being teh work horse. But still if you are looking to get an almost full size speaker sound at a reasonable price (everything is relative and then again you can't put a price on passion ) go with the KEF. For a satellite solution you would be hard pressed to find anything better. And did I mention how good they look!

IF you have the budget and space by all means go with mythos.
post #8 of 86 Old 08-30-2006, 09:26 AM

Are there any adjustments on the Sub for crossover? I have an older receiver which has very limited base management (Yamaha RX V1000).The review on ZDNet talked about making sure you have base management on your receiver if you purchased this set. Also where do you purchase/hear this set? I am from BC and there are no stores listed in this province. I am also considering the Sib/Cub system from Focal.JMLab which is available locally (using 4 Sib,1 SibXL center channel and Cub2). Do you look at that system ? Any comments would be appreciated.
post #9 of 86 Old 08-30-2006, 02:39 PM

There is no crossover on the sub.

Whoever said the ZDNET recommended 100hz crossover where did you see this? I cant seem to find it. I have mine set to 80hz since the speakers go to 70hz.
post #10 of 86 Old 08-30-2006, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan67 View Post

Are there any adjustments on the Sub for crossover? I have an older receiver which has very limited base management (Yamaha RX V1000).The review on ZDNet talked about making sure you have base management on your receiver if you purchased this set. Also where do you purchase/hear this set? I am from BC and there are no stores listed in this province. I am also considering the Sib/Cub system from Focal.JMLab which is available locally (using 4 Sib,1 SibXL center channel and Cub2). Do you look at that system ? Any comments would be appreciated.

Well there is no cross over switch on the sub so you do need a reciver which allows you to do it. I have an older Pio Elite and it let me toggle between 100, 150 and 200 and I settled for 150 as it sounded teh best to me and I have such nice clean Bass coming out. If you really want to see the technical specs One call has teh manual on their web for both teh satelliete and Sub which shows all the features in detail or if you liek I can email them to you as well. I heard the set in USA and bought it from an authorised dealer in Ontario. You can check the KEF website which lists all their authroised dealers in canada as that's teh best bet for you. Didn't listen to the Jm Lab ones you mentioned. But so far I have no regrets the best sound I have heard on this side of Full sized Speaker solution. Can't recommend them enough.
post #11 of 86 Old 08-30-2006, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachwhite0 View Post

There is no crossover on the sub.

Whoever said the ZDNET recommended 100hz crossover where did you see this? I cant seem to find it. I have mine set to 80hz since the speakers go to 70hz.

well actually they recommended 120 Hz frequency in the review its on the 2nd page of the review on zdnet/cnet where they talk about design but again it depends on the kind of room setup you have. I like the 150 Hz setting as teh bass is more rounded and dialogue is more fuller if that makes sense My receiver doesn't allow 120 Hz otherwise I would try that too oh well makes a good reason to upgrade the trusty Old Pio Elite.
post #12 of 86 Old 08-31-2006, 11:17 PM

I moved it up to 100hz and I noticed a improvement. I cant get myself to go any higher though.
post #13 of 86 Old 09-01-2006, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

yeah at 75hz the satellites start to roll off long before that.. there would be a noticeable gap i would think
post #14 of 86 Old 09-03-2006, 09:15 AM

My Yamaha receiver crossover is set at 90 Hz only with no adjustments. Any comments on the difference of quality of sound between the lower end settings (80 Hz as recommended by the company) and 120 Hz. I know the reviewer at ZDnet stated you wanted to have some sort of base management system and since the sub has no manual controls, this seems to cross off KHT from my list unless there is some other way of changing the crossover (besides buying a newer receiver!).
post #15 of 86 Old 09-03-2006, 11:38 AM

Liked: 11
FYI, Circuit City is now carrying this model - at least here in Austin.
post #16 of 86 Old 09-08-2006, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pliesj View Post

FYI, Circuit City is now carrying this model - at least here in Austin.

I think KEF is coming up with a new strategy as they changed the Distributor here in Canada and are now dealing with the Retailers directly. Pricing is a bit odd in the sense that I expected a a ridiculous exchange rate for Canada So Speakers are available at the 1.3 Exhange!! but somehow the stands were cheaper than USA! now thats a new one I must say Canada is cheaper than USA for electronics for once Well I guess Speaker stands are not really electronics
post #17 of 86 Old 11-30-2006, 09:11 AM

Iam in the 3005 Club now..

How are u guys mounting these satellites -- The KEF Stands seems very expensive.. Any other options that u tried? Are the KEF Stands worth the money?

I have the Denon AVR2807 Reciever to go with these beauties.. If any one of you guys have the same combo.. I can take ur notes..

Thanks!
post #18 of 86 Old 12-07-2006, 12:32 PM

Can someone tell me which satelite speaker system is better? KEF KHT3000, Orb MOD2 or Gallo.
post #19 of 86 Old 01-08-2007, 06:22 PM

I just picked up the CC combo pack with the KEF 3005 and Denon AVR887. I am curious as to what tweaks you guys made to really make the KEF sub shine? So far, I feel like the sub is a bit lackluster, when comparing to my much older JBL 10", which just shakes the whole room.

Thanks!
post #20 of 86 Old 01-09-2007, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coeus View Post

I just picked up the CC combo pack with the KEF 3005 and Denon AVR887. I am curious as to what tweaks you guys made to really make the KEF sub shine? So far, I feel like the sub is a bit lackluster, when comparing to my much older JBL 10", which just shakes the whole room.

Thanks!

Where do you have the crossover set? I have a similar setup, Denon 2307ci with the KEF 3005's...after setting it up with an SPL meter (I also used the auto feature) I have no problem getting the sub to move some air. Granted, my taste in subs and your taste might be different. Where do you have it positioned?

FWIW, I usually keep the crossover around 110hz ~ 120hz.
post #21 of 86 Old 01-09-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhart View Post

Where do you have the crossover set? I have a similar setup, Denon 2307ci with the KEF 3005's...after setting it up with an SPL meter (I also used the auto feature) I have no problem getting the sub to move some air. Granted, my taste in subs and your taste might be different. Where do you have it positioned?

FWIW, I usually keep the crossover around 110hz ~ 120hz.

I have the crossover at 110hz. I tried a couple different levels, using a THX tester as well as the auto feature, found this to have the smoothest transition.

I had it positioned behind the couch, same position as previous sub - it has quite a bit of space around it. I've played with the SW gain on the receiver and have been able to coax a little more boom. The sub has amazing depth, especially for its compact size, but I think I'll have to spend some more time tweaking to really get great impact.

I've noticed that the KEF speakers are generally (in my set-up) are very mild-mannered. They seem to be missing that 'jump' on films when there is that sudden explosion or monster leaps out. Then again, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to tweaking, so I'm gonna continue playing with it.
post #22 of 86 Old 01-09-2007, 08:22 AM

Coeus, I hear you...(no pun intended). I've experimented with this sub quite a bit...and it really makes a difference as to where you put it. (I know, it always does...but for some reason, it seems to be really obvious with this particular sub.) After I used the auto-calibrate feature, I tweaked it a bit more with DVE and my SPL...playing with the "Room-EQ" setting can help a lot. I use this setup mainly for HT stuff, and I'm really happy with it now.

Initially, I had the sub behind the couch...and I felt it, but found it didn't sound very "smooth" or balanced with the other speakers. After moving it to a more "open" position, I was able to achieve a more balanced response. Granted, my wife isn't as pleased with the looks (she preferred it to be hidden), I like the way it sounds.

Once you get the speakers tweaked the way you like them, I'm fairly sure you'll be pleased with their "snap" or "jump". (As long as your room isn't too big.) Try messing with the "Re-EQ" setting...see if you like it on or off better. With it off, you might get more snap...or you may find the speakers to sound harsh. Personally, I like it better off most of the time.
post #23 of 86 Old 02-10-2007, 04:22 PM

Hi all, Have had the KHT-3005 for a few months with a Yamaha receiver (now 2700). Very happy with the satellites, but the sub simply did not cut it with movies. It looks great, but doesn't provide the low frequency thump. I know some reviewers liked it, but everything is relative and the KHT-3005 is not a high end sub and a significant step below how good the satellites are. The satellites produced some of the clearest articulated sound and dialog I have heard.

To make a long story short, I replaced the sub with two SVS PB-10s and the room now shakes. The PB-10 is a far more accurate sub according to my Real Time Analyzer. Managed to sell of the sub quite easily because it looked so good. Anyway, here is the setup with a Sony 60" SXRD. The two SVS PB-10s (one in the picture) are in the open cabinet on the right corner.

For those wanting more oomph from their HT, I highly recommend getting a SVS or Hsu sub to replace the one that comes with the 3005. The improvement in movies is earth shattering.

post #24 of 86 Old 02-10-2007, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by iahawkeye View Post

You seriously think Bose's cubes look good? They're small, true, but the materials quality and finish are both extraordinarily poor, with plastics that even GM would be ashamed to use. The build quality of these KEFs (as well as the smaller models) is a world away from that.

I think they're attractive, too, but perhaps the Tannoy Arena set is more so.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #25 of 86 Old 03-28-2007, 09:45 PM

For the KHT-3005 owners, have you quys compare the KHT-5005 before decided on the KHT-3005?
post #26 of 86 Old 05-13-2007, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisahmed View Post

Well there is no cross over switch on the sub so you do need a reciver which allows you to do it. I have an older Pio Elite and it let me toggle between 100, 150 and 200 and I settled for 150 as it sounded teh best to me and I have such nice clean Bass coming out. If you really want to see the technical specs One call has teh manual on their web for both teh satelliete and Sub which shows all the features in detail or if you liek I can email them to you as well. I heard the set in USA and bought it from an authorised dealer in Ontario. You can check the KEF website which lists all their authroised dealers in canada as that's teh best bet for you. Didn't listen to the Jm Lab ones you mentioned. But so far I have no regrets the best sound I have heard on this side of Full sized Speaker solution. Can't recommend them enough.

HELP!!!! Tell me if you can, will I be able to toggle between 100, 150, & 200 subwoofer crossover setting on my Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV ? I checked my manual but can't find it or maybe I just don't know where to look. I really want to purchase the KEF 3005 speakers also.
post #27 of 86 Old 05-13-2007, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

You seriously think Bose's cubes look good? They're small, true, but the materials quality and finish are both extraordinarily poor, with plastics that even GM would be ashamed to use. The build quality of these KEFs (as well as the smaller models) is a world away from that.

I think they're attractive, too, but perhaps the Tannoy Arena set is more so.

That's my dilemma. I haven't' been able to find the Tannoy Arenas for audition. I am really curious if any of you have listened to them and can compare them to the KEF 3005. I am also thinking of using my Velodyne DPS-12 as a second sub crossed-over to round out the bottom. What do you think?
post #28 of 86 Old 05-13-2007, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek77 View Post

HELP!!!! Tell me if you can, will I be able to toggle between 100, 150, & 200 subwoofer crossover setting on my Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV ? I checked my manual but can't find it or maybe I just don't know where to look. I really want to purchase the KEF 3005 speakers also.

Yeah, you can.

"The choices we make define our lives, because choice, not chance, determines destiny"

They call me the 18 year old DJ Audiophile-upgradeitis infected-guy!
post #29 of 86 Old 05-15-2007, 06:18 AM

i take it that these speakers are magnetically "safe" to put under my new pioneer pdp 5070. I read that these Kef 3005 have magnetic grill covers, would i have to worry about these little magnets, screwing up my pioneer?
post #30 of 86 Old 06-02-2007, 07:10 PM

I would really like to buy a set of these fine KEF 3005 speakers, but unfortunately no one sells them here in Nova Scotia. Can anyone tell me of a retailer in Canada that sells them that might be willing to ship to the Maritimes. There's not a lot on E Bay and it looks like I would have to purchase in the US...but I would prefer to buy Canadian..of course..
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page