Focal 1007 Be or B&W 803S? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 127 Old 08-19-2006, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

My wife and I are having a house built so we decided to start demo'ing a bunch of speakers to buy for our HT room. A couple of months ago we narrowed our selection down to the B&W 803D, 803S, and the Focal 1027 Be. We were going to go with the 803Ds but I could not get the sound of the 1027 Be's out of my head.

Now that I am hooked on the 1027 be's I can not get them since we decided to get a HDTV (XBR2) when it's released. The TV will come out of our speaker budget so we no longer have the budget for the 803D's or the 1027 Be's.

Which of the following would you get and why? If it helps I will be upgrading from B&W CDM bookshelfs and will be getting a good sub. (SVS PB12-Ultra/2 or Velodyne SPL-1500R)

B&W

803S Fronts (Floor Standing)
HTM3 Center
SCM Rears

or

Focal

Electra 1007 Be Fronts (Book Shelf)
Electra CC1000Be Center
Electra 1007 Be Rears

We plan on going to hear both these sets again soon but I would like to hear other opinions as well. Advice from people who have experice going from bookshelfs to floorstanding speakers or vise versa would be great.

Thanks in advance,

-CriPPleR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 127 Old 08-19-2006, 08:36 AM

I moved from Magnepan floorstanding speakers Focal studio monitors (bookshelf speakers with 2 6.5 woofers) and it was a great upgrade. I'm sure you will be happy with the Focal setup, the Beryllium tweeter is spectacular. You mention some budget contraints so I just want let you know that the Focal studio monitors use the Beryllium tweeter and W cone woofers and they are reasonably priced.

http://www.focal.tm.fr/pro/en/sm6/

Chek under products. The Solo6 Be retails for $1000 and the Twin6 Be retails for $1400.
post #3 of 127 Old 08-19-2006, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

If you really like the Focal then you stand to loose nothing by going with the 1007. Monitors always tend to offer better sound and imaging than floorstanding speakers just make sure you get a quality subwoofer. With this combo you will most likely exceed the low frequency capabilty of the towers while improving the soundstage and imaging due to the smaller speakers, and as a bonus you will need less power so you can go with a smaller amp.Unless you have alarge room to fill with sound you wont miss anything.
post #4 of 127 Old 08-19-2006, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
unless op will spend more time on 2 channel music, the 1007be all round with a good sub can be ideal

otherwise megaflop's suggestion is good too with cost savings on power amp and employment of the be tweeters

cpu8088 - OLD and SLOW !!!
post #5 of 127 Old 08-19-2006, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply's.

MegaFlop,

Thanks for the link. I am going to go listen to both sets of speakers in a couple of hours and will definitely add the SM6 monitors to my short list of speakers to listen to today.

apodaca / cpu8088,

Thanks for your input. It's great to know that I wont be losing much and might even gain from having monitors instead of FS for HT.

My logic behind going with the 1007 be's is that in the future I would be able to add the 1027 Be's and move the front 1007 be's to the rear and have a great 7.1 system after I save up some cash.

As for the 1007be set up, what kind of amp, processer, or receiver would you guys recommend to power these speakers? Any brands that really match well with the Focal?

Thank's again,

Sam "CriPPleR"
post #6 of 127 Old 08-19-2006, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think the Focals are way ahead of the B&Ws in resolution and over all performance. The 1007 be is a bit "boom and sizzle" though and I've not been a big fan of Focals below Utopia when they need to play loud. They tend to be bright as is, but get pretty hard when pushed. The Utopias are delicious, however. I think the Diamond tweeter is good, but people I know complain about the S tweeter.

At the risk of shilling (I try not to do this, but these may appeal), if you nix one of those options and get a chance to hear NHT's Xd, you might like them - http://nhthifi.com/2006/ht-s-ultimate.html Also pretty modular and more like the Focals, but more accurate than the 1007 for sure, and the subwoofers are included, as are the amplification, stands, cabling and DSP. Pretty exotic stuff, but the cabinets are less furniturey (for godsake, click on the Special Dark finish before the other finish burns into your eyeballs!). A 7.1 Focal/sub system like you're considering is about the same as a 6.3 Xd system and each can be done one at a time. I used to be a Focal dealer and I can say that the Xd does at least some stuff better than Utopia stuff, primarily bass quality, tonal accuracy, imaging precision, soundstage size and sweetspot size. Utopias do have a "delicious" sound to them that has great appeal and very hard to dislike. I haven't heard the new 1000 series, I stopped with Electra and Utopia a few years back. No major reason, mainly the economy slowed WAY down and I had to pick who I was going to keep because I couldn't do it all at the time. I've actually had a few people tell me, however, that they like the less expensive NHT Classic series as much or more than the Focal 1000 series, but again, good looking, but no exotic woods, don't know if that is part of the equation. One of the advantages here is matched center, matched rears, all the way around. I'm a big fan of that for HT. Same drivers everywhere.

Other options - Triads, they *excel* at sub sats, but maybe not as "catchy" as the Focals. PSB Platinum - more badass, but bigger and less sexy. I'm trying to think of others that have a more similar sound, I feel like I'm forgetting something really obvious. The B&Ws and the Focals sound totally different to me. I guess I'm curious what got auditioned and eliminated along the way because the two finalists are about as different as you could get aside from the fact that the Focals will also surrender more easily

John
post #7 of 127 Old 08-19-2006, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaFlop View Post

Chek under products. The Solo6 Be retails for $1000 and the Twin6 Be retails for $1400.

Those would seem almost too good to be true. I assume that's "each"?

John
post #8 of 127 Old 08-19-2006, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I'll through my support for Focal. Again. I have never heard the 1007, but I have the 1027's. I am sure that the 1007's with a good quality sub would be very very nice.
As far as a good match I really like my Bryston amps with them. Blue Circle is supposed to be good. I think BAT is something to look at. And maybe jeff Rowland.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #9 of 127 Old 08-19-2006, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Just got back from my auditioning rounds and now I am even more stuck than before.

It turns out that I will be able to get the Focal 1027B or the B&W 803D if I skimp on the rears. To get the 803Ds I would have to use my current CDMs for surrounds. To get the 1027Bs I would have to buy the $2,000 SR 908 or the Profile 908 $2,300. (Instead of the $4,000 1007B)

After hearing both speakers again I am even more confused. Both speakers sound GREAT! but they sound completly different. I am the worst at describing how things sound but I will say that I like the 1027B bass better than the 803D. Everytime I think that the Focals have a clear advantage, I heard something in the B&Ws that pulled me right back to being on the fence.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to spend as much time with the B&Ws as I would have liked. The store was near closing by the time we arrived. So, i'll probably be making the rounds one last time before the final decision is made. Between now and then, would appreciate feedback on the following set-up options.

Focal 1027 Be Fronts
Focal 1000 Be CC
Focal Profile SR 908 Surrounds

Or

B&W 803D Fronts
HTM3D CC Center
CDM Bookshelf Rears

Thanks again!

-Sam
post #10 of 127 Old 08-19-2006, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

what amp was used in the store demo?

post #11 of 127 Old 08-19-2006, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

Those would seem almost too good to be true. I assume that's "each"?

Yes that is each. I must confess that I have not heard the XDs, however I really think a full active system with digital xovers is the way of the future. The XD system was out of my budget and just from playing the specs it seems to me that the Twin6s would have a advantage in dynamics over the XDs (alot would depend on having multiple XD subs and the exact xover freq) The Beryllium tweeter also pushed me to the Focals. I really like NHTs design philosophy and the "rock" factor that all their speakers have.
post #12 of 127 Old 08-19-2006, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

some pretty good choices there. My pick would be between the NHT xD or B&W 803D. The downside ot the NHT xD is that I am not sure how you would get a matching center for it unless you bought several pairs of them for 6.1 surround sound ($18k).

To my ears, I just didnt like the Focal speakers until I heard a much more expensive line.
post #13 of 127 Old 08-19-2006, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

cpu8088,

The 1027Be was hooked up to two Class'e 400w Mono blocks. The B&W was hooked up to Rotal Mono blocks. Don't know the watts of the rotal because the sales guy was rushing us because the store was about to close.

The Focals did sound better, but I feel I did not give the B&W's a fair shot. 1027 were sexy and seem to do everything just right. The 803D's sound great at some points but then the bass would get muddy from time to time. The reason I am still on the fence is because the amps that the focal were using were much better then rotal.

I wish I could find a dealer that sales both Focal and B&W, that would make this choice much easier.

MegaFlop,

The dealer I went to only had 1 pair of 1027Be on the floor so I could not listen to Twin6 or the 1007be. =(

MIkeDuke,

Cool, I will see if my dealer can hook up the Focals to the Bryston so I can check it out.

Alimentall,

I really need to find a NHT dealer in my area. The only store that use to sell them around me was Laser Land and they are not around anymore. I remember liking the sound of NHT when I was shopping for my first HT system(Super Zero)

I will audition one last round of speakers before I buy so I will try and find a NHT dealer in the Bay Area.

You guys have been very helpfull,

-Sam
post #14 of 127 Old 08-20-2006, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Alimentall,

I just looked at the link you post and the "Ultimate" does look interesting.

I clicked on the dealer locater and found MEGATRADE ENTERPRISE which is located right in Milpitas and sells NHT.

I auditioned just about everything else Triads, Dyno etc but I just preferred the sound of B&W and Focal. I remember the Triads was to harsh on piano notes. Good speakers but not my cup of tea.

Thanks again for the NHT heads up.

-Sam
post #15 of 127 Old 08-20-2006, 01:50 AM

next time you go, ask if you can hear the 803s with the classe amps. Classe and B&W are owned by the same company, and they are an excellent match for each other.
post #16 of 127 Old 08-20-2006, 04:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega View Post

some pretty good choices there. My pick would be between the NHT xD or B&W 803D. The downside ot the NHT xD is that I am not sure how you would get a matching center for it unless you bought several pairs of them for 6.1 surround sound ($18k).

Yeah, unfortunately, 6.2 or 6.3 is the most sensible way of doing things, rather than 5.1 or 7.1, at least for now. It is pretty cool when you do though! Most of our systems have been 4.2 though so far.

Megaflop, funny thing was that NHT originally planned on using Be on Xd, but when it came down to the actual performance testing, they didn't feel it was worth the price, since most of the benefit is in the inaudible range. Kinda like when I joke about the Diamond tweeter. Most of the people that can afford it can't hear beyond 15kHz and some probably can't hear over 10kHz! I'd like to see Be or diamond as an option later. It would be a simple reprogramming of the crossover. I'd be curious to hear the powered Focals. I'm willing to bet the local guy doesn't sell them.

John
post #17 of 127 Old 08-20-2006, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

... I've not been a big fan of Focals below Utopia when they need to play loud. They tend to be bright as is, but get pretty hard when pushed. ...

John,

Interesting, this is the first time I recall seeing someone mention an issue with some models of Focals playing at louder volumes. In my one and only Focal audition, the Profile 918, I did not care for it due to the performance at louder volumes.

Thanks
Bruce
post #18 of 127 Old 08-20-2006, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

i always thought that focal except utopia series and the 1027be are bass shy

and most mediocre speakers exhibit bright and harsh sound as inability to produce dynamics when driven hard

post #19 of 127 Old 08-20-2006, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivanshah View Post

next time you go, ask if you can hear the 803s with the classe amps. Classe and B&W are owned by the same company, and they are an excellent match for each other.

With due respect, major differences in sound quality will not be attributable to the amps in your setup. Either amp will give similar sound. If two brands of speakers sound radically different, at least one of them is wrong, assuming proper setup of each. You need to try to find music that you are familiar with and see which speaker sounds most accurate. Naturally recorded vocals are usually a good test, esp if you have heard that performer live yourself.
post #20 of 127 Old 08-20-2006, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post

John,

Interesting, this is the first time I recall seeing someone mention an issue with some models of Focals playing at louder volumes. In my one and only Focal audition, the Profile 918, I did not care for it due to the performance at louder volumes.

Thanks
Bruce

Not all Focals measure the same for example the Electras - non Be/Cobalts could be set up neutral from the midbass on up. There are also plenty of 'Bright' B&Ws so research is key. Look for reviews where frequency response is measured if possible. If neutrality is a goal the one could look at the Revel gear starting with the Performas.

As for amplification you definitely dont want to skimp on this as an amp not in the same league as your speakers can and often will make them sound bad and hold them back. Budget at least %50 of your speakers value. Some other brands not mention worth looking at are Krell and LExicon.
post #21 of 127 Old 08-20-2006, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apodaca View Post

Not all Focals measure the same for example the Electras - non Be/Cobalts could be set up neutral from the midbass on up. There are also plenty of 'Bright' B&Ws so research is key. Look for reviews where frequency response is measured if possible. If neutrality is a goal the one could look at the Revel gear starting with the Performas.

Oh, yeah, Revel was the other brand that was on the tip of my tongue. The 803Ds are definitely warm, but most are rather bright these days, but 802Ds are reasonably well balanced. I consider Focal to be bright up until Utopia where they get some balance. I traded in some Electra 915s a few months back and I was shocked by how bright they were. I didn't remember them being that bright when I sold them, but I *did* remember that they always sounded better with light jazz at soft to medium volumes. I don't know if it was the brightness or high volume cone issues (aka harshness) that always left me with the feeling that it didn't make sense to turn them up. I mostly sold them as 2-channel speakers for jazz lovers. That was another reason I dropped them, they're *really* more of a 2-channel speaker than an HT-capable speaker and I was running out of 2-channel customers!
Quote:

As for amplification you definitely dont want to skimp on this as an amp not in the same league as your speakers can and often will make them sound bad and hold them back. Budget at least %50 of your speakers value. Some other brands not mention worth looking at are Krell and LExicon.

Well........while I agree with the sentiment, I really disagree with the reality. If you go by distortion or accuracy alone, *no* speaker is "in the same league" as the worst amplifier made. Speakers product 500-1000 times as much distortion and inaccuracy. A speaker that needs an expensive amp or exotic cabling to sound good simply isn't a good speaker. A good speaker makes your electronics sound great. A bad speaker just sounds bad and people blame it on the electronics. This has always been my big beef with B&W. The have problems with the midrange that have people going back over and over for more expensive gear thinking it couldn't possibly be the speakers. It's *almost always* the speakers.

If a speaker doesn't sound good on a cheap NAD or Rotel amp, pass. It's not a good speaker and won't be no matter what you attach to it.

John
post #22 of 127 Old 08-20-2006, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I would agree that anyone looking at the 803D or Focal 1027Be should have a listen to the Revel Performa F52's. I find them to be better balanced over the full frequency spectrum than either the B&W or Focal. They are also a bit less money, especially for the center.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #23 of 127 Old 08-21-2006, 08:56 AM

I am not sure you understood the recommendation given by MegaFlop. The Focal Twin6 is a POWERED studio monitor ( I have a HT setiup with these), and as such does not require an amp , just a PreAmp/Surround Sound processor. As such, it may help out in your situation, as you can save $ on your amp outlay.
The only problem you will experience is that as a "Pro" series is available to only a select number of dealers, and the odds are that you will not find one near you. I based my selection on the basis of other Focals, and peer reviews of others that have either heard them or have them. For what its worth, I am very satisfied.
post #24 of 127 Old 08-21-2006, 01:44 PM

I thought the Focals sounded great for the first 15 minutes and then......not as much. The 803Ds were also very nice and a bit more laid-back. I liked the B&Ws better and I am not typically a fan. I also listened to the Revel f52s, which I thought had a great cabinet. The f52s sounded like they could have been made with concrete instead of wood, but ultimately lacked sparkle and depth. I ended up buying the Cremonas. I am not suggesting that you make the same choice, just that there is lots of good stuff out there.

Good luck.
post #25 of 127 Old 08-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Be sure to make your own decisions and dont let anything that people on this forum say influence your final choice. Many have axes to grind and will intentionally mislead. Its your money and your ears.
post #26 of 127 Old 08-21-2006, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Ditto above post

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #27 of 127 Old 08-21-2006, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

I was auditioning the same 2 sets of speakers.....

For what it's worth, I chose the Focals....... 1027 be

But if I brought home the 803D's, I know i would have been really happy too....

Get the Focals, you'll love em.....

Shelly
post #28 of 127 Old 08-21-2006, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

You know, I think I am going about this the wrong way. Are the speakers I am interested in too musical for HT? I really want the best system that I can afford, primarily for HT. But, I have only been auditioning 2ch stereo speakers because the dealer I use only has the 1027be on the showroom floor. (no center or rears)

So, the question becomes...what speakers should I be listening to that excel in movies and can handle good 2ch music? I think i've been listening to speakers that excel in music and maybe not movies?

What I guess I am trying to say is, I want very dynamic speakers that really give me a movie theater sound. What brands should I be looking into for that? I know Focal and B&W handle music GREAT but how are they for movies?

This weekend I will audition speakers for the last time before making my decision. Hopefully I can find a dealer that has the speakers I am interested in set up in a HT setting. If anyone knows a good dealer in the Bay Area (San Jose CA) please let me know so I can check them out.

I really do appreciate the help.

Thanks again,

Sam

intexltd,

You were right. I was not quite sure what the twin6 were all about. I am still kind of confused, but now I understand that they have amps built into them. The concept of amps on a speaker is new to me. Do you need special connecters/processers for them? I tried finding a dealer that carries them but with no luck. I will try and research them some more before Saturday.
post #29 of 127 Old 08-21-2006, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

pengilly / Schadenfreude

I hear ya. My ears will make the final decision. I am just hoping to get opinions from others who have experience in HT so that I can explore all options (even those I might not know about). That way when I make my final decision I will be confident that i've heard everything in my budget and made the best choice for me. =)

shelly40,

Thanks for the input. Do you have the 1000CC? If so how do they perform in 5.1? I am really leaning towards the Focals but I won't buy them if I can't hear them in a 5.1 set up.

Thanks again,

-Sam
post #30 of 127 Old 08-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Well.... IMHO,

I think that reproducing music accurately is more demanding than movies.

That being said...... If it's a great music speaker,
I would tend to think it could do movies pretty well also...

Although... you said your movies were more important to you....

For me, it's the music that is the higher priority....

As for the center channel, I don't use the 1000CC....
It wouldn't fit where I needed the center to go....

I use a 907 be..... for the center channel
and for the surrounds, I have B&W's..... basically wall mount 805's .....

Now while the same speaker all around is ideal, it's not always practical

For me, this setup is fine, others would probably disagree...
saying everything is not timber matched....ahhh whatever....
although the 3 across the front do use the same "be" tweeter.....

I don't think the surrounds for movies are crucial to have the same speaker....

It's just producing sound effects anyway....rain, lightning strikes, explosions, phones ringing, etc......... not exactly earth shattering stuff there......
and the bass gets sent to the sub anyway,
so no big deal there.....

Let me tell you though......

2 Channel music sounds terrific.... and that's my most important concern....

Movies sound great too....So I'm a happy camper....

Shelly
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page