Velodyne CHT Front Row Speakers - Page 24 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #691 of 716 Old 04-12-2007, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They're only available in white now, don't know if that's been posted yet or not. I accidentally ordered them in white, but I'm not so sure anymore.
How hard would it be to paint them black / put veneers on them?
I hope they'll refund my money before they ship if they don't have any more in black, I just sent an e-mail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 716 Old 04-12-2007, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheffer View Post

They're only available in white now, don't know if that's been posted yet or not. I accidentally ordered them in white, but I'm not so sure anymore.
How hard would it be to paint them black / put veneers on them?
I hope they'll refund my money before they ship if they don't have any more in black, I just sent an e-mail.

Don't even think about trying to re-color them. The grilles are white, too, see pix a page or two back.

You might want to call rather than rely on email.
post #693 of 716 Old 04-12-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post

On a different note to this thread. Does anybody know what / where I can get a spl meter?

Tony

Fleabay
post #694 of 716 Old 04-12-2007, 08:42 PM

Are these speakers going to sell out any time soon? Velodyne's website seems to imply that they may, but, from reading this thread, I have gotten the impression that the website has been like that for a while. I am considering getting them but don't want to rush into the decision.
post #695 of 716 Old 04-12-2007, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

As mentioned above the blacks have already sold out - no one can say how soon the whites will sell, but I bought mine sooner than I'd planned to be safe (and I'm pleased with them, although need to upgrade my sub/receiver to give a full review).
post #696 of 716 Old 04-12-2007, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Well, they've been on closeout for quite a while now (what, at least a year?), but since the black versions are no longer available I guess supply is finally starting to run out. Then again, I'm sure the white ones weren't/aren't nearly as popular, so it'll probably take them a bit to run through that stock too. Of course they likely realized that and didn't make as many whites in the first place so...well, long conjecture short, you should probably try to make a decision in a month or so, but it wouldn't really surprise me if they were available for another year. I'm sure someone else has a more expert opinion to offer.

Wow, it's weird to think that this deal might be going away, since it's what got me into this financially suicidal hobby in the first place. Now I'm getting all misty-eyed...
post #697 of 716 Old 04-13-2007, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Anybody interested in buying a used set that is 2 weeks old. It's white color. I want a higher end model to match with my VTF3 HO.

$160 shipped. I will throw in the wall mount from monoprice as well. I am in Socal Cal.

Tony
post #698 of 716 Old 04-15-2007, 12:41 AM

If anyone has a set in black for sale, please e-mail me an offer. Thanks.
post #699 of 716 Old 04-26-2007, 11:16 PM

I've read most of this thread and am leaning towards purchasing the CHTs and the BIC H-100 setup. My room dimensions are roughly 17x20 with 10ft ceilings. I currently have an Onkyo 674 receiver, Samsung 46in DLP, DishVIP622 HD DVR and Bose 5.1 acoustimas 10 series (I know Bose blows, but they were a b-day gift from my wife) My question is will I be able to really hear a solid upgrade in sound with this setup?
post #700 of 716 Old 04-27-2007, 05:35 AM

With the subwoofer alone you will hear a great improvement. I am enjoying my front rows, they sound so much better than anything I have had before. You had better hurry the only front rows they have left are the white color and from the looks of it they are about gone.
-Rich

WHERE THE WHITE WOMEN AT!
post #701 of 716 Old 04-27-2007, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by looped View Post

I've read most of this thread and am leaning towards purchasing the CHTs and the BIC H-100 setup. My room dimensions are roughly 17x20 with 10ft ceilings. I currently have an Onkyo 674 receiver, Samsung 46in DLP, DishVIP622 HD DVR and Bose 5.1 acoustimas 10 series (I know Bose blows, but they were a b-day gift from my wife) My question is will I be able to really hear a solid upgrade in sound with this setup?

Without ever hearing the Missions, I beleive they will blow your blose out of the water in sound reporduction. You should have WAY BETTER mids & highs, and of course better base especially with replacing that wanna be sub of blose with that bic.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #702 of 716 Old 04-27-2007, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

You can always ask in the Mission owners thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=803330

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #703 of 716 Old 04-27-2007, 09:23 AM

He was asking about the CHT's but the Missions are another option.
post #704 of 716 Old 04-27-2007, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Actually the Missions and Velodynes are in the same price bracket. They both orginally went for $599 for the set. Now the Missions are $239 while the Velos are $199. If the Missions are that much better, the $40 difference wouldn't be a huge price to pay.

Mission M70 package

Velodyne CHT system

Unless I'm looking at the wrong add, the Mission package is only for a pair of speakers. The Velodyne setup comes with 5 speakers.
post #705 of 716 Old 04-27-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

Unless I'm looking at the wrong add, the Mission package is only for a pair of speakers. The Velodyne setup comes with 5 speakers.

Here ya go

Missions
post #706 of 716 Old 04-27-2007, 10:32 PM

Now after looking at the Missions I can't choose between them and the CHTs. The Missions are a little more, are they better?
post #707 of 716 Old 04-28-2007, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by looped View Post

Now after looking at the Missions I can't choose between them and the CHTs. The Missions are a little more, are they better?

That is a matter of some controversy, but it seems that they're close enough that you could really only decide by listening to both yourself and picking whichever sounds best to your ear. Of course, that's not really an option for many people with internet-direct speakers, so you're probably just going to have to bite the bullet and choose one. Chances are, if this is your first set of "real" speakers, you'll be happy either way.

If it helps, the tiebreaker for me would be the fact that the missions are butt-ugly.
post #708 of 716 Old 04-28-2007, 10:47 AM

I own the CHT's but if my only option was the missions or the CHT's and the CHT's came in white only, the missions would have my money. I hate white speakers.

post #709 of 716 Old 05-18-2007, 03:26 PM

I ended up with these stands, and quite frankly not worth the money it took to make them. From Walmart

My question are there stands out there that you san simply just put the speaker on it and forget about it?

Or must they be mounted some how?

The Walmart ones had doublesided sticky tape that doesn't last very long.
post #710 of 716 Old 05-19-2007, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Tase -- try blutack?

On another topic -- has anyone moved from this set to the AV123 x-ls? I've been thinking of selling off my black 5.0 velos and building a new system, starting with a 2.0 xls setup. Anyone who's made a similar move have an opinion to offer?
post #711 of 716 Old 05-19-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Tase -- try blutack?

On another topic -- has anyone moved from this set to the AV123 x-ls? I've been thinking of selling off my black 5.0 velos and building a new system, starting with a 2.0 xls setup. Anyone who's made a similar move have an opinion to offer?

I would like to know this as well. I love the Velos for HT but they are lacking in terms of music. I was thinking of replacing the left, right and center and keeping the Velos for surround. Any input would be greatly appreciated
post #712 of 716 Old 05-19-2007, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've heard the Velodynes and lots of other speakers, but am just going on what I've heard on the xls. My 2 cents:

By all accounts the xls is a very good $220-a-pair speaker, and the Velodyne is a very good $70-a-pair speaker. Will the xls sound 3x better? No way, you've made the step up from HTIB plastic boxes to real speakers, where you really can get a speaker many times as good for 1-2x the price. But after this, you're already into "diminishing returns" - the upgrades will sound noticeably better, but not proportionate to the $. But ...

All that said, you're still talking about very reasonable $ for the enjoyment and use you'll get out of them compared to lots of other things around. Money well spent, if you ask me, but everybody has to make that call for themselves.

BTW, with the xls, if you really feel it's not worth the price - if you're willing to pay the shipping you can send them back.

You'll need more space, too, of course, for the xls. Get out your tape measure and make sure you know how big whatever you're buying is - I keep reading stories about people who found their speakers didn't fit.

Your story is a great example of how people really should make sure they need small, inexpensive speakers before they jump on this kind of thing. I mean, it's not that big a deal, but lots of people with a little more room and a little more money have some other options that might be better for their needs.
post #713 of 716 Old 05-19-2007, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddlecakes View Post

I would like to know this as well. I love the Velos for HT but they are lacking in terms of music. I was thinking of replacing the left, right and center and keeping the Velos for surround. Any input would be greatly appreciated

2 more cents -

You could do that and would probably be happy.

Very little sound comes out of the surrounds, and not much of it is the kind of thing that you'd notice a "timbre" (tonal quality) difference. But, you still might want to get speakers that sound somewhat similar, which might mean similar materials used to make the cones. But on the other hand - why let the small $ you've spent have too much effect on the big $ you're going to be spending?

Anyway, some people have commented on how happy they are to have identical front and back. And certainly if you use all 4 for music, you'd notice significant differences. But others are of the opinion that you can hook up almost anything for surrounds.

The other thought, if you think 5 velos might have more resale value than 3 - pick up an inexpensive used pair of something or other (on craigslist, maybe, so you can pick them up) for surrounds until you decide on a next step. Now that you have more experience, you'd be better able to listen to something used and decide whether you like it.
post #714 of 716 Old 05-19-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:

Tase -- try blutack?

Anyone ever try blutack?

Any other suggestions for nice stands?
post #715 of 716 Old 05-19-2007, 04:02 PM

make your own!
-Rich

post #716 of 716 Old 05-20-2007, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post

I've heard the Velodynes and lots of other speakers, but am just going on what I've heard on the xls. My 2 cents:

By all accounts the xls is a very good $220-a-pair speaker, and the Velodyne is a very good $70-a-pair speaker. Will the xls sound 3x better? No way, you've made the step up from HTIB plastic boxes to real speakers, where you really can get a speaker many times as good for 1-2x the price. But after this, you're already into "diminishing returns" - the upgrades will sound noticeably better, but not proportionate to the $. But ...

All that said, you're still talking about very reasonable $ for the enjoyment and use you'll get out of them compared to lots of other things around. Money well spent, if you ask me, but everybody has to make that call for themselves.

BTW, with the xls, if you really feel it's not worth the price - if you're willing to pay the shipping you can send them back.

You'll need more space, too, of course, for the xls. Get out your tape measure and make sure you know how big whatever you're buying is - I keep reading stories about people who found their speakers didn't fit.

Your story is a great example of how people really should make sure they need small, inexpensive speakers before they jump on this kind of thing. I mean, it's not that big a deal, but lots of people with a little more room and a little more money have some other options that might be better for their needs.

Thanks for the advice, buzzy. It's funny, I originally spent $2500 on an HDTV, and a $250 HITB to go with it, and was fine for two years. I waffled over spending "so much money" on the Velodynes for four months before pulling the trigger, and now, four months after that, I'm already thinking of selling them off to slowly build a new $2000 system. I'm not necessarily unhappy with the velos, I just have the upgrade bug and want the "fun" of building a new system piece by piece.

By the way, I have indeed measured for the xls -- I was going to go with three x-cs across the front, but seeing as they're each basically as big as my receiver that wouldn't really work for me. Funny, when I first got the Velos, I thought they were gigantic...
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page