Velodyne CHT Front Row Speakers - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 716 Old 01-14-2007, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Stinger wire is left over from the last car install I did, so I used that until the stands arrived and I could see what gauge wire it would take I have a 250ft roll of generic 14 gauge that will (barely) fit in the center post, but not the top opening. I'm probably going to break out the metal file today and see if I can widen the opening without destroying the structural integrity of the post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 716 Old 01-14-2007, 10:15 AM

Thanks James, the pics look great. Where did you get your stands?
post #183 of 716 Old 01-14-2007, 10:19 AM

Circuit City - they are OmniMount Smalls, I believe.
post #184 of 716 Old 01-14-2007, 12:39 PM

I'm going to mount mine on the wall. I purchased 2 extra to make a 7.1 system.

I ran into a problem that maybe someone here can help me with. The center speaker has no mounting holes. If anyone did, how did you mount it under your plasma?
Kind of a stupid design when the others are mountable.

P.S. I don't want to put it on a shelf or the credenza style audio stand below it.
post #185 of 716 Old 01-14-2007, 03:18 PM

LUNGMAN00, you said you purchased to more, were they white or gray? i am thinking of ordering 2 more but only see the white for sale.
post #186 of 716 Old 01-14-2007, 04:16 PM

JAMESTHEGAME, can you post a pic of the back of the speaker mounted on the stand?
post #187 of 716 Old 01-14-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino1919 View Post

LUNGMAN00, you said you purchased to more, were they white or gray? i am thinking of ordering 2 more but only see the white for sale.

They are white but since i'm putting them on the back wall I didn't think it would matter much.
post #188 of 716 Old 01-14-2007, 07:28 PM

I drilled holes into the back of my center speaker to wall mount it.
post #189 of 716 Old 01-14-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungman00 View Post

I'm going to mount mine on the wall. I purchased 2 extra to make a 7.1 system.

I ran into a problem that maybe someone here can help me with. The center speaker has no mounting holes. If anyone did, how did you mount it under your plasma?
Kind of a stupid design when the others are mountable.

P.S. I don't want to put it on a shelf or the credenza style audio stand below it.

Peerless makes a speaker mount that includes a metal bracket that could be attached to the back of the center channel. I was going to use two of these on either side of the speaker terminals for the center channel, but then ended up mounting on a shelf.

Here is a PDF of the installation manual that shows the parts:
Peerless Speaker Mount
post #190 of 716 Old 01-15-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:

JAMESTHEGAME, can you post a pic of the back of the speaker mounted on the stand?

The speakers aren't mounted using the back screwmount. Each speaker is sitting on top of a flat square mounting plate, and attached with a double-sided foam mounting pad that is included with the stand.
post #191 of 716 Old 01-15-2007, 01:55 PM

Thanks Commex and Pinecrest.
I thought drilling holes into the box would somehow distort the sound?
post #192 of 716 Old 01-15-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungman00 View Post

Thanks Commex and Pinecrest.
I thought drilling holes into the box would somehow distort the sound?

If you just mount a metal plate to the outside of the box, you'll not be drilling all the way through the box, so no distortion of sound.
post #193 of 716 Old 01-15-2007, 04:40 PM

Drilling holes, even all the way thru will not 'distort the sound', provided you plug them with screws. Think about it, the tweeter, woofer, and terminal post are mounted to the box, and the holes go all the way thru the walls.

BTW, the magnet structure on the woofer is really beefy, accounting for the majority of weight, which is a good thing.

As far a speaker brackets, I settled on the Omnimount 20 lb jobbers.
post #194 of 716 Old 01-15-2007, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:

Kind of a stupid design when the others are mountable

Not really a stupid design. Remember this discontinued model is 5 years old. Most people did not have flat panels yet, did you? They just placed the center speaker on top of the CRT TV or projection TV. No need for wall mounts. This also why the center is dark grey on either the grey or white models. Peoples TV's were dark grey or black so it integrated better.

Even if you check now, the majority of center channels do not come with mounting holes, except the ones specifically designed for flat panels.

Afro GT
post #195 of 716 Old 01-15-2007, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the mounting possibilities.
And good point afrogt, wasn't thinking about that.
post #196 of 716 Old 01-15-2007, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Why do the instructions for the CHTs tell us to crossover at 80? It says "this allows the speakers to go deep". Then Velodyne CSR says to do it at 120, or 150, but 100 is OK if you don't have 120.

I've tried 80 and 100 and not sure I can tell the difference. I guess a little higher is better for the speakers and the amp? probably negligible.

Just wondering and curious
post #197 of 716 Old 01-15-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan View Post

Why do the instructions for the CHTs tell us to crossover at 80? It says "this allows the speakers to go deep". Then Velodyne CSR says to do it at 120, or 150, but 100 is OK if you don't have 120.

I've tried 80 and 100 and not sure I can tell the difference. I guess a little higher is better for the speakers and the amp? probably negligible.

Just wondering and curious

The specs on the Velodyne CHT Front Row were updated to more accurately reflect the woofer's capabilities. Now, the woofer is listed at a maximum bass of 90 Hz. So, you want to be above that with your crossover. Since crossovers are slopes and not brick walls, there is a gradual filtering of wavelengths below the crossover setting. By setting it to 120, you ensure that you compensate for the slope.

That's my understanding. I'm fairly new to all of this, so hopefully an engineer will step in to clarify things.
post #198 of 716 Old 01-16-2007, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Well guys I've ordered the CHTs. I wish I had the scratch to get a MiniVee sub (might be odd, have a .1 that's triple the cost of my 5) but I'll probably get a cheap 8-10" velodyne for starters and then add a second if/when I'm ready for it. I've told my wife that these will not be replaced, these will be my long-term speakers, so I hope you're trustworthy

I did reserve the right to upgrade to 7.1, adding front towers and using the 4 sats as side/rear surrounds, though. So basically I'm sure these will be very capable surrounds and probably a strong full system even now, but I'm a big believer in the importance of having a quality center channel, so I hope this one gets the job done long-term, even through house/room upgrades.
post #199 of 716 Old 01-16-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Add me to the bandwagon of people who ordered these based on the recommendations in this thread. I've had them for about a week now and they are a very noticeable improvement over my old Onkyo 570 HITB speakers. I no longer have to play the game of cranking up the volume to understand dialogue in one scene and then having my ears taken off by an explosion or even the soundtrack kicking in in the next. They even passed the all-important "girlfriend test," who loves the fuller sound quality on shows like 24.

Question though -- currently, I'm using them with the powered sub that came with the 570 -- how much improvement in overall sound quality would I be likely to experience if I replaced the HITB sub with the Bic H-100 or even the Velodyne VX-10? Would it be a better option to look into buying a more powerful receiver next instead?
post #200 of 716 Old 01-16-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Add me to the bandwagon of people who ordered these based on the recommendations in this thread. I've had them for about a week now and they are a very noticeable improvement over my old Onkyo 570 HITB speakers. I no longer have to play the game of cranking up the volume to understand dialogue in one scene and then having my ears taken off by an explosion or even the soundtrack kicking in in the next. They even passed the all-important "girlfriend test," who loves the fuller sound quality on shows like 24.

Question though -- currently, I'm using them with the powered sub that came with the 570 -- how much improvement in overall sound quality would I be likely to experience if I replaced the HITB sub with the Bic H-100 or even the Velodyne VX-10? Would it be a better option to look into buying a more powerful receiver next instead?

IMHO, I'd put money into a sub before upgrading the receiver.

Have you calibrated the speakers and the sub? That made a big difference for me. I used an SPL meter from Radio Shack mounted on a tripod.
post #201 of 716 Old 01-16-2007, 11:47 AM

I've just ordered the CHT's [I may also audition HTD middies and center panel] .
Now I will need a good receiver[onkyo 604?] and sub. I looked at Velo VX-10. Frequency response 36Hz. Will I miss alot in HT sound? Its for a small room. I'm excited! Thanks for all the Info. sharing everyone.
post #202 of 716 Old 01-16-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnee View Post

I've just ordered the CHT's [I may also audition HTD middies and center panel] .
Now I will need a good receiver[onkyo 604?] and sub. I looked at Velo VX-10. Frequency response 36Hz. Will I miss alot in HT sound? Its for a small room. I'm excited! Thanks for all the Info. sharing everyone.

If you do audition the HTD's, I'd sure appreciate it if you'd share your opinion of how it compares to the Velodyne CHT.
post #203 of 716 Old 01-16-2007, 12:24 PM

I am setting up the cht's witha vx-10 in a room approxiametly 10'x20'
with one opening in the room 7'x7' . This is roughly a 1400 cubic foot room .
I using the equipment on a laminated floor area , with very little drapery around it. Just waiting on my vx-10 . If Dhl would just show up . I could set it up .
The receiver I used is a onkyo 504. I have very little to compare to , other than a 7.1 systems that I listened to @circuit city. I will let you know what I think.
I hope I didn't order to small of a sub.

Dynodan
post #204 of 716 Old 01-16-2007, 12:46 PM

I've jumped on board and ordered the 5 and a vx-10 sub. I also ordered a really nice Salamander Designs av cabinet. It has a Center Channel shelf about a foot off the ground. I calculated that I need to up-angle the center speaker by 11.5 degrees to get the sound to ear height at my viewing distance.

Any downside to this?

It would be a major project to mount the center above the TV and angle downward.
post #205 of 716 Old 01-16-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyIdea View Post

I've jumped on board and ordered the 5 and a vx-10 sub. I also ordered a really nice Salamander Designs av cabinet. It has a Center Channel shelf about a foot off the ground. I calculated that I need to up-angle the center speaker by 11.5 degrees to get the sound to ear height at my viewing distance.

Any downside to this?

It would be a major project to mount the center above the TV and angle downward.

I don't think you'll have any issues with the center mounted below the TV as long as there aren't any obstructions between the speaker and your ears. The only advantage I've ever heard for mounting a center above instead of below is that our ear shape is better able to locate the origination point of sound when it comes from below ear level. If one is trying to create a seamless soundstage, mounting above can make the soundstage sound larger, while mounting below will make the soundstage seem a little smaller/tighter.

Don't know if it's true in practice, but it sounds good. FWIW, I couldn't mount my speakers at ear level, so they are mounted above the screen and angled down to the listening position. I have about the same down angle as you do up angle.
post #206 of 716 Old 01-16-2007, 02:12 PM

great! what a relief.

thanks.
post #207 of 716 Old 01-16-2007, 04:07 PM

i went to CC today and got the ominpoint stand like JAMESTHEGAME, only i got the xs model of it which is designed to hold 3lbs. Well i mounted them with the screw in the back and it looks great but with just a push it tilts over. I am gonna return them an pick up these OmniMount 31" Wood Speaker Stand Pair. I want to stay in the same price range and i have a giftcart do CC is my only option right now.

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/pro...MS.WS31.RT.JPG

Anyone have these and like them?
post #208 of 716 Old 01-16-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:

i went to CC today and got the ominpoint stand like JAMESTHEGAME, only i got the xs model of it which is designed to hold 3lbs. Well i mounted them with the screw in the back and it looks great but with just a push it tilts over. I am gonna return them an pick up these OmniMount 31" Wood Speaker Stand Pair. I want to stay in the same price range and i have a giftcart do CC is my only option right now.

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/pro...MS.WS31.RT.JPG

Anyone have these and like them?

I used the smalls, which is one step up from what you picked up. However, as you discovered, you can't use the screw mount. I used the top plate mount, and they work just fine. Using that mount allows you to perfectly center the speakers on top of the stand so you don't have to worry about them falling over. It also gives you a few more inches of height, if you need it.
post #209 of 716 Old 01-20-2007, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Pinecrest, I decided to take your advice and focus my increasingly worrying need to upgrade on a decent sub. I don't want to spend more than $300-ish, so I've narrowed it down to the ever-popular Bic H-100 and the JBL S120PII (slightly more expensive, somewhat superior specs, at least on paper). Anyone have an opinion on which one would better match the CHTs?
post #210 of 716 Old 01-20-2007, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm by no means a sub expert, although my family has had a positive experience with a mid-range JBL, but I'm restricting most of my sub shopping to Velodyne. Not so much for 'matching sound' since it's more a question of matching frequency and eliminating gaps, but I just figure, they match visually, they're reputed (so many unknown brands out there (for me at least), they have a full range of pricing (starting at $180 shipped for the VX-10) up to top of the line.

We know the CHT series were a great value, would you speaker/sub experts say their subs are good value in the low-mid range?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page