post #331 of 353 Old 09-26-2006, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge
I see that you are correct. According to the B&W web site, the HTM1D is in fact intended for floor placement.
Yeah. I know that information because I own the 802Ds myself and have been trying to decide on either the HTM1D or HTM2D for my center channel. It is a large investment when you consider that you might not own it for more than 5 years, at which point in time you will need to replace the center channel again if you get speakers from a different company or if the B&W 800 series changes radically.

"It is worse still to be ignorant of your ignorance."
-- Saint Jerome (374 AD - 419 AD)

My Home Theatre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 353 Old 09-26-2006, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber
The HTM1D was designed for floor placement, so don't worry about them not sounding right. The HTM1D should be pointed at a degree that allows your ears to be at the same position between the outputs of the Kevlar driver and the tweeter as they are with the 802Ds. Trying to hang them at a different level will actually mess up the intended sound because they are meant to be placed on the floor and the feet adjusted for fine tuning. You could always trade them in, or sell them and buy another 802D to use as a center channel. I think that is what Kal Rubinson does in his system due to space constraints.
You know it's funny because I've read that information about the HTM1D on the BW site several times but I forgot about it during the later part of this thread. Must be age-related dementia. ;) Thanks for reminding me. So now all I have to do is mount the plasma, re-position the listening position and speakers and run cable chanel to organize and hide the wires.

In any case, I'm very happy even with the set up as is. I don't quite know how to describe it but there is a clarity all thoughout the range from low to high frequency that was not there with my 700 set up (even though I thouht the 700s were damn good). I notice I'm hearing more stuff more clearly even in the surround channels on movies as well as multi-channel music. I'm eager to hear how everything will change once I get the center speaker a bit further back, move the credenza off to the side and thus have only air between the 802s.
post #333 of 353 Old 09-26-2006, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah. I know that information because I own the 802Ds myself and have been trying to decide on either the HTM1D or HTM2D for my center channel. It is a large investment when you consider that you might not own it for more than 5 years, at which point in time you will need to replace the center channel again if you get speakers from a different company or if the B&W 800 series changes radically.
None of these purchases is future-proof. If you start with that game you will just drive yourself nuts--which, I suppose is as legitimate as any other passtime. :D
post #334 of 353 Old 10-02-2006, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK guys. Here is the "final" set up. I would have liked to get more breathing room for the 802Ds but I think this is the best I can do for now. Sounds GREAT!

Thanks for your help. I'm always open to suggestions.

PS It took me about one full day to get all the wires organized behind the credenza and to run them in those cable channels on the front wall!!!!
LL
LL
post #335 of 353 Old 10-02-2006, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Congrats Jack. I am glad your enjoying them. Hopefully you'll enjoy these for a long time.
post #336 of 353 Old 10-02-2006, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Whoa, that looks sharp!! Whoa, you went with the 804s for surround!! NICE

Looks good, props on the wallmount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D
OK guys. Here is the "final" set up. I would have liked to get more breathing room for the 802Ds but I think this is the best I can do for now. Sounds GREAT!

Thanks for your help. I'm always open to suggestions. :D

PS It took me about one full day to get all the wires organized behind the credenza and to run them in those cable channels on the front wall!!!! :eek:
post #337 of 353 Old 10-02-2006, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega
Whoa, that looks sharp!! Whoa, you went with the 804s for surround!! NICE

Looks good, props on the wallmount.
Thanks. You know what is really sick? I'm now considering getting the 65" 1080p Panasonic. That would mean I have to get a new mount and do it all over again. I need therapy! :D
post #338 of 353 Old 10-02-2006, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. You know what is really sick? I'm now considering getting the 65" 1080p Panasonic. That would mean I have to get a new mount and do it all over again. I need therapy! :D
hahahahah! Man if i were not still in grad school, id probably do the same :D
post #339 of 353 Old 10-02-2006, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
hahahahah! Man if i were not still in grad school, id probably do the same :D
Well at least you don't have to work (yet) ;) !
post #340 of 353 Old 10-02-2006, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Screw that, get a Front Projector that does 1080p. As you said... You are moving sooner or later, so get something you can use in a HT when you move. Then you have your excuse for building a HT later on. :p

My Home Theatre
post #341 of 353 Old 10-02-2006, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Bah, invent the next Google... Work is highly overrated. :rolleyes:

My Home Theatre
post #342 of 353 Old 10-02-2006, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually i like the work environment much better than the school. I did undergrad at Northeastern University so I got a solid 2 years full time, 3 years part time in the workforce. The environment is just so much more laid back in the "real world" than it is in academic research.
post #343 of 353 Old 10-02-2006, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Actually i like the work environment much better than the school. I did undergrad at Northeastern University so I got a solid 2 years full time, 3 years part time in the workforce. The environment is just so much more laid back in the "real world" than it is in academic research.
Grass is greener, pal. :D You've got much more flexibility in academia.
post #344 of 353 Old 10-02-2006, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Screw that, get a Front Projector that does 1080p. As you said... You are moving sooner or later, so get something you can use in a HT when you move. Then you have your excuse for building a HT later on. :p
I don't need an excuse for building an HT. :D
post #345 of 353 Old 10-02-2006, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Bah give me academia anyday. :) My last project I was responsible for a mission critical system. I was on call 24/7 365 days for almost 2 years. I had to commit to a 45 minute response time if there was a system outage. Because our support group was short staffed, there were times I was on call for 2 systems. This doesn't even take into account the daily work I was doing to enhance or reconfigure the systems.
post #346 of 353 Old 10-02-2006, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't need an excuse for building an HT. :D
Your wife said you could use as much space as you want in your new house to build a HT?

My Home Theatre
post #347 of 353 Old 10-02-2006, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Grass is greener, pal. :D You've got much more flexibility in academia.
Actually, it really depends on your field of interest. For most jobs engineering related, on the job experience trumps an advanced degree. The only exceptions are job positions which require an engineer with a PE. 5 years ago and prior, everything was different as advanced degrees brought much to the table in terms of technical knowledge that work experience didn't have. With the advancement in computing power, all of the advanced technical knowledge can be tapped by computer software and programming - none of which require an advanced degree to learn.

For some career choices, graduate school is a must in order to open the door (law, medicine, business management). But in fields like engineering, on the job experience is the chief enabler.

If I were in a field other than engineering, i would most likely side with the life in academia wish.

WonHung - Everybody has their responsibilities. Sounds like the establishment you work for trusts you for your abilities, and I am sure they have grounds for that trust :D. Sure, it is very laborious work, but to me [if I were in that position], it would be my pleasure to be of service for the company. I understand that everybody is different, and it seems, atleast around my buddies, I am in the minority in terms of academia vs workforce.

But I digress :D

Jack D how bout some more nice pix of your setup/room :D
post #348 of 353 Old 10-02-2006, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
WonHung - Everybody has their responsibilities. Sounds like the establishment you work for trusts you for your abilities, and I am sure they have grounds for that trust :D. Sure, it is very laborious work, but to me [if I were in that position], it would be my pleasure to be of service for the company. I understand that everybody is different, and it seems, atleast around my buddies, I am in the minority in terms of academia vs workforce.
It was my pleasure. But sometimes it was a drag. You'll know what I mean when you are faced with a similar situation. Can't really go on vacation because you're the only one that knows how the servers and networks work. Can't go into places like movie theaters or go out to bars and such because you might not hear....or feel the pager go off. This is assuming the building doesn't somehow block the signal to the pager. Not to mention sometimes going to bed and can't quite get to sleep because you have that itching feeling that the pager is going to go off at any minute. I valued the position because I knew how critical the systems were and how much they depended on me to make sure everything works. But many of my colleagues called me insane for taking on such responsibility as I did the work of about 7 full time employees that did the work before it got consolidated and thrown into my lap.
post #349 of 353 Old 10-03-2006, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
55" Fujitsu or Director's Series Hitatchi would be more in scale with wall and room, and get it and the center channel a bit higher....I'm sure you've been trying to do the best in the space, I'm just giving my quick look $.01 worth.

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #350 of 353 Old 10-03-2006, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude
55" Fujitsu or Director's Series Hitatchi would be more in scale with wall and room, and get it and the center channel a bit higher....I'm sure you've been trying to do the best in the space, I'm just giving my quick look $.01 worth.
You mean that a 55" would be more in line than the 50" I have now or the 65" Panny that I mentioned I was thinking of purchasing?

Yes I was/am concerned about the height of the middle speaker but I don't think I can do much more. I don't like the TV too high when watching; it really bugs me.
post #351 of 353 Old 10-03-2006, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Your wife said you could use as much space as you want in your new house to build a HT?
Yeah. In fact she said I could have the entire house to myself. :o
post #352 of 353 Old 10-03-2006, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What if I just left the furnite as is and pushed the speakers fully in front of the cabinets and put the HTM1 or 2 D on the floor in front of the cabinet?
In your situation, I think that is what I would do. The 802D speaker is a much nicer speaker than the 703. I think you'll notice a significant improvement both from the new speakers, and, from getting them out in front of the cabinets. You might also want to put some acoustic panels on the sides of the cabinets, and behind the speakers, to help absorb rather than reflect the sound. (I'm replying early in the thread with reading the whole thing yet - hope it is still useful)

Everything I say here is my opinion. It is not my employers opinion, it is not my wife's opinion, it is not my neighbors opinion, it is My Opinion.
post #353 of 353 Old 10-03-2006, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Never mind. I see you have it all worked out now ;-)

Everything I say here is my opinion. It is not my employers opinion, it is not my wife's opinion, it is not my neighbors opinion, it is My Opinion.
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page