Thinking of Upgrading to B&W 800Ds - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 353 Old 09-05-2006, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WonHung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jack,

Which ME store are you dealing with? I have a personal contact at one of the ME stores. I can put you two in touch with each other to see if you can work out a mutually beneficial deal. My contact is a straight shooter and happens to be a manager at one of the stores. If he can't work you a better deal than what is being offered by your sales guy...it's because of upper management. PM me if you want to explore this option.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WonHung is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 353 Old 09-05-2006, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well what do you know? I sent them an email in which I stated a lot of the things I've put down in this thread. I just got a reply that they are going to give me the 10 percent "on a one time basis only." So I've just ordered the 802Ds and the HTM1D. :D

Now I have to wait two weeks!
Jack D is offline  
post #183 of 353 Old 09-05-2006, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ericgl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D
Well what do you know? I sent them an email in which I stated a lot of the things I've put down in this thread. I just got a reply that they are going to give me the 10 percent "on a one time basis only." So I've just ordered the 802Ds and the HTM1D. :D

Now I have to wait two weeks!

Congrats Jack! And good work ME. I honestly think it turned out to be a win-win, in negotiations it is important to be able to see the other sides POV.
ericgl is offline  
post #184 of 353 Old 09-05-2006, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jonomega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 3,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D
Well what do you know? I sent them an email in which I stated a lot of the things I've put down in this thread. I just got a reply that they are going to give me the 10 percent "on a one time basis only." So I've just ordered the 802Ds and the HTM1D. :D

Now I have to wait two weeks!
AWESOME!! Man you are going to enjoy your new setup!! I could only wish to be able to afford that sweet front stage!
Jonomega is offline  
post #185 of 353 Old 09-05-2006, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since they are now giving me the 10 percent on a one-time basis I'm thinking I should bite the bullet and get the matching surrounds. Which ones? I have to get floor standers as my rear wall is too far away to mount dipoles. Do you guys think the 805s would be ok?

I know some people go for even two more 802s in back or I think Kal said he has the 804s. I kind of wonder if that is not a bit of a waste for rears? BTW anyone know the MSRP of the 805s?
Jack D is offline  
post #186 of 353 Old 09-05-2006, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,456
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 133
805s are not floorstanders but you can get stands for them.

Kal

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #187 of 353 Old 09-05-2006, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ericgl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
$2500/pr. (2250 less trade in to you). My only fear is that B&W might come out with a monitor voiced more closely to the 'd' series in the near future.
ericgl is offline  
post #188 of 353 Old 09-05-2006, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
QueueCumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Farmer McGregor's Garden
Posts: 6,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The 805S are $3100/pr if you get the B&W stands. There are cheaper stands out there though.

"It is worse still to be ignorant of your ignorance."
-- Saint Jerome (374 AD - 419 AD)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
QueueCumber is offline  
post #189 of 353 Old 09-05-2006, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson
805s are not floorstanders but you can get stands for them.

Kal
Yeah I know. I already have stands for my 705s. I wonder if those stands will work with the 805s.

Kal,
What is the logic in going for big, three way rear speakers?
Thanks.
Jack D is offline  
post #190 of 353 Old 09-05-2006, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BTW and kind of off topic: I just recently found that HiFi and Home Cinema site with a BW group. There is a thread where people post pics of their BW set up. There are some beautiful set ups. Still I was surprised how so many people spend so much on the 700s and 800s but most of the time I could not notice any acoustic treatment. Could that really be the case? Seems strange. I suppose in some cases the treatment might be built into the walls but I thought to get at the LF you have to trap as many corners as possible. I guess people could be using sofits.
Jack D is offline  
post #191 of 353 Old 09-05-2006, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,456
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D
What is the logic in going for big, three way rear speakers?
Thanks.
I have no bass management. :D

Kal

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #192 of 353 Old 09-05-2006, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tweeterex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Philly
Posts: 1,532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D
Well what do you know? I sent them an email in which I stated a lot of the things I've put down in this thread. I just got a reply that they are going to give me the 10 percent "on a one time basis only." So I've just ordered the 802Ds and the HTM1D.

Now I have to wait two weeks!
Yay!!! Congrats, I'd go for the whole enchalada!
Enjoy :)

I think it would be generally more useful if everyone new to these forums is reminded that they are constantly being marketed to and pitched by people who post their affiliations and many others who do not. This is all part of marketing and advertising and you, the consumer, are the targets.
Noth...
tweeterex is offline  
post #193 of 353 Old 09-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Member
 
HiFiListener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D
Well what do you know? I sent them an email in which I stated a lot of the things I've put down in this thread. I just got a reply that they are going to give me the 10 percent "on a one time basis only." So I've just ordered the 802Ds and the HTM1D. :D

Now I have to wait two weeks!
Congratulations, it seems that ME continues to impress upon me their commitment to their customers. You do not find that much. You system is going to be awesome (not that it wasn't already). Please let us know how things sound once you get everything!
HiFiListener is offline  
post #194 of 353 Old 09-05-2006, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson
I have no bass management. :D

Kal
Sorry I don't get the joke. :confused:
Jack D is offline  
post #195 of 353 Old 09-05-2006, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So do you guys think that the 805s for the rears are sufficient?
Jack D is offline  
post #196 of 353 Old 09-05-2006, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiListener
Congratulations, it seems that ME continues to impress upon me their commitment to their customers. You do not find that much. You system is going to be awesome (not that it wasn't already). Please let us know how things sound once you get everything!
Well at first I'm just going to have to leave my set up as it is, replace the 703s with the 802s and put the HTM1D on the floor in from the credenza. It is going to be a bit of a project to hang the plasma on the wall, move all the equipment to the credenza, re-do the wiring, and get rid of those horrible, monstrous towers ( ;) ). I hope to be able to do all that quickly but I have a feeling that I'm going to be stuck with the "jerryrigged" set up for at least a few days if not a week.

I'll try to post photos once I get everything rearranged.

thanks.
Jack D is offline  
post #197 of 353 Old 09-05-2006, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgl
$2500/pr. (2250 less trade in to you). My only fear is that B&W might come out with a monitor voiced more closely to the 'd' series in the near future.
The ideal is to have the same tweeter and midrange on the surrounds. Correct? At least the 805 has the same midrange. I suppose the concern would be the difference between the aluminum and diamond tweeters. Well I suppose if they come out with an 805D I will just have to take advantage, once again, of ME's FANTASTIC trade-in deal. ;)
Jack D is offline  
post #198 of 353 Old 09-06-2006, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WonHung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D
The ideal is to have the same tweeter and midrange on the surrounds. Correct? At least the 805 has the same midrange. I suppose the concern would be the difference between the aluminum and diamond tweeters. Well I suppose if they come out with an 805D I will just have to take advantage, once again, of ME's FANTASTIC trade-in deal. ;)
The 805 does not have the same midrange as the other 800 line speakers. The midrange used in the other 800 series speakers is the FST driver.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WonHung is offline  
post #199 of 353 Old 09-06-2006, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonHung
The 805 does not have the same midrange as the other 800 line speakers. The midrange used in the other 800 series speakers is the FST driver.
Oh right. So do you think it will make a significant difference on the rears? I guess the only other option is to go with one of the big floor standing models. I dont know if it's worth it.
Jack D is offline  
post #200 of 353 Old 09-06-2006, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WonHung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D
Oh right. So do you think it will make a significant difference on the rears? I guess the only other option is to go with one of the big floor standing models. I dont know if it's worth it.
I was in the same situation as you. Wasn't sure if the N805s I bought were appropriate for the system I was putting together that consisted of N804s and an HTM1. In the end, I decided to get a matching set of N804s for the rears because of price and sound. I got a smoking deal on a pair of demo N804s which made it a no brainer. And two, I also use the system for music and have a DVD-A setup. To have the same timbre and voicing across all your speakers is absolutely critical for multi channel music. If you're just going to use the system for HT, I would save your money and just get the 805S. In my HT uses, the N804s in the rear don't really add much.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WonHung is offline  
post #201 of 353 Old 09-06-2006, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonHung
I was in the same situation as you. Wasn't sure if the N805s I bought were appropriate for the system I was putting together that consisted of N804s and an HTM1. In the end, I decided to get a matching set of N804s for the rears because of price and sound. I got a smoking deal on a pair of demo N804s which made it a no brainer. And two, I also use the system for music and have a DVD-A setup. To have the same timbre and voicing across all your speakers is absolutely critical for multi channel music. If you're just going to use the system for HT, I would save your money and just get the 805S. In my HT uses, the N804s in the rear don't really add much.
Yeah this is a tough one because I do use my set up from time to time for multichannel discs. Still I guess to get a perfect match I'd have to go with 803Ds in the back at the least. That seems a bit extravagant and there is no way I'm crazy enough (at this point at least) to get four 802Ds!
Jack D is offline  
post #202 of 353 Old 09-06-2006, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jonomega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 3,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would not sweet it if your movie listening exceeds your multichannel music listening. The 805s is a great speakers and for me, it was very very difficult (impossible) to tell the difference in a decent setup at the dealers. If you want to be able to discern the difference between a diamond tweeter and standard tweeter as rear channels, you need an incredible amount of room correction otherwise the room just skews the high end anyways. I dont know if you, or people actually correct for the first and second reflection points for surround speakers...

I have spoken with my dealer several times and they have doubted heavily that B&W would bring diamond to their 804 and 805 speakers. If they did, they would have to make several price corrections and most likely the 805"d" would be the same price as the 804s which could be bad. But, I haven't the slightest clue how marketting stuff like that works.

With the 805s you can still have your crossover overall at 60hz without any issue. I used to cross my subwoofer underneath it at 40hz without any holes.

Otherwise you are looking at a pair of 803d @ 8000$. Might as well get another pair of 802d and call it your ultimate system. Why settle for penultimate? ;)

I would either get the 805s or the 802d for surrounds depending on my financial situation. No "in between" solutions for me :D
Jonomega is offline  
post #203 of 353 Old 09-06-2006, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jonomega,

>I would not sweet it if your movie listening exceeds your multichannel music listening. The 805s is a great speakers and for me, it was very very difficult (impossible) to tell the difference in a decent setup at the dealers. If you want to be able to discern the difference between a diamond tweeter and standard tweeter as rear channels, you need an incredible amount of room correction otherwise the room just skews the high end anyways. I dont know if you, or people actually correct for the first and second reflection points for surround speakers...<

Yeah, treating for first reflection off rears seems excessive. I don't even know if it is doable in my room.

>I have spoken with my dealer several times and they have doubted heavily that B&W would bring diamond to their 804 and 805 speakers. If they did, they would have to make several price corrections and most likely the 805"d" would be the same price as the 804s which could be bad. But, I haven't the slightest clue how marketting stuff like that works.<

Well that is reassuring if I want to go with the 805s.

>Otherwise you are looking at a pair of 803d @ 8000$. Might as well get another pair of 802d and call it your ultimate system. Why settle for penultimate? ;)

I would either get the 805s or the 802d for surrounds depending on my financial situation. No "in between" solutions for me<

Yeah I'm pretty much exhausted thinking about this. It seems I'll just go with the 805s.
Jack D is offline  
post #204 of 353 Old 09-06-2006, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw on that other thread on AVS that some BW hater thinks the 802ds are ugly. He said they look like Daleks from Dr. Who. I really like the way the 802Ds look but now I do have to laugh when I look at them because they do kind of look like Daleks. I can just imagine one of those bizzaro English engineers subconsciously designing the things in the image of Daleks because Dr. Who was a fundamental influence in his childhood. EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!!! :D
Jack D is offline  
post #205 of 353 Old 09-06-2006, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,456
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D
Sorry I don't get the joke. :confused:
No joke; just a sheepish admission that this system is, aside, from the players, entirely analog from preamp through speakers. So, if I had selected the 805s, I would have to find a way to reroute the surround bass to the fronts (bad prospect) or the sub. Besides, (1) the 804 takes the same floorspace as the 805 on a stand and (2) my wife dislikes little speakers on stands.

I should also mention, as someone else has, that the 804 has the FST midrange which will come closer to matching the timbre of the 802D than the 805 will. Since this is a music-only system (no display), that is important to me.

Kal

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #206 of 353 Old 09-06-2006, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
QueueCumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Farmer McGregor's Garden
Posts: 6,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D
I saw on that other thread on AVS that some BW hater thinks the 802ds are ugly. He said they look like Daleks from Dr. Who. I really like the way the 802Ds look but now I do have to laugh when I look at them because they do kind of look like Daleks. I can just imagine one of those bizzaro English engineers subconsciously designing the things in the image of Daleks because Dr. Who was a fundamental influence in his childhood. EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!!! :D
Well, they are British speakers! ;)

"It is worse still to be ignorant of your ignorance."
-- Saint Jerome (374 AD - 419 AD)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
QueueCumber is offline  
post #207 of 353 Old 09-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
dollarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vevey, Switzerland
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson
No joke; just a sheepish admission that this system is, aside, from the players, entirely analog from preamp through speakers. So, if I had selected the 805s, I would have to find a way to reroute the surround bass to the fronts (bad prospect) or the sub.
I thought, based on some previous threads, that you were greatly in favour of room correction and bass management and now :eek:

IGNORANCE IS A BLISS
dollarman is offline  
post #208 of 353 Old 09-06-2006, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ericgl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
An off the wall thought and of course no one knows, (except perhaps someone at B&W) but I wonder how the voicing of the upcoming CM7s compare to the Ds? There seems to be similarities with the midrange and crossover topology.
ericgl is offline  
post #209 of 353 Old 09-06-2006, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tweeterex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Philly
Posts: 1,532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, it seems to many that the CM1's are a close cousin to the 805's, so you might be on to something in that reasoning.

I think it would be generally more useful if everyone new to these forums is reminded that they are constantly being marketed to and pitched by people who post their affiliations and many others who do not. This is all part of marketing and advertising and you, the consumer, are the targets.
Noth...
tweeterex is offline  
post #210 of 353 Old 09-06-2006, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,456
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarman
I thought, based on some previous threads, that you were greatly in favour of room correction and bass management and now :eek:
I am primarily in favor of acoustical treatment with room correction as needed. Bass management, too, but only my CT system has that facility now. The NYC system, where the B&Ws play, has 2 players, FM tuner, turntable/phono stage, 7channel analog preamp and a handful of amps. The currently resident sub has no HP facilities, so everything goes straight-through unless I invoke the bass management in the one of the players. Sometimes, I do but they are remarkably unflexible with only an 80Hz hinge and unspecified slopes. I'll get there one day.

Kal

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kal Rubinson is offline  
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off