Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 223 Old 08-10-2009, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos112 View Post

Just ordered a pair of Aim 8 Fives (front) and a pair of Aim 8 Threes (rear) as well as an Aim LCR Five (center) for my 5.1 (gonna use my old active sub until i can find more money). This is gonna be hooked up to my many month old never used Denon AVR-988. Speakers cost $1298 plus $600 for the receiver, all new. Any thoughts? Did i do alright?

I'm planning to put the center right below the lcd in the center, with the FR and FL at the same height of the TV as far out as i can go (not a big wall). I'm going to wire for 7.1 but put the speakers in the rear position as I will see if i can get away with 5.1 for now. Sub is downfiring and I'll toss it in the corner. I'll of course let you know how it goes. TIA. Mahalo

I have (3) Aim 8 Three's for the front and (4) Aim 7 two's for the rear (9' ceilings). I am driving these with a Yamaha 1800 and HSU MkIII sub. I did the ceiling thing to satisfy the wife in our new house. After calibration I'm amazed how good it sounds, way better than I thought it would.

-Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 223 Old 08-11-2009, 08:02 AM
prs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im pretty sure Im going to go with a 7.1 setup in that room.

I will have to do in ceiling for everything except the surrounds which I think I can squeeze into the walls next to the columns. That position is exactly 90 degrees from the listening position, so it should work.

If I go triad, what is recommended for in-ceiling back speakers?

Could I put the in-ceiling sub behind the screen center of room?

Id like to hear from Paul aka Triad Dude about this combination.
post #213 of 223 Old 08-11-2009, 11:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by prs View Post

I found a drop down that can be customized to drop 70" which is well below the fireplace mantle. Its not too bad a viewing angle. http://www.inca-tvlifts.com/

I wish I could put the TV on the opposite wall, but ceiling joists dont allow that...they run the opposite direction.

I was going to put the center channel in the ceiling in front of the plasma. It will be around 13 feet from the listening position, so not too far.

Im leaning towards in walls for the left and right surrounds next to the columns. Dont know if Id do a rear center in the ceiling or just leave it at 5.1. It is a really big room, but the tile floors make it an acoustically bright room. There will be more furniture on the wall to the left and right of the fireplace and another chair will be placed to the right of the sofa soon.

InCeiling Bronze/8 LCRs will do a nice job up front. You might want to do InWall Gold/4 Omnis for the sides, due to the distance from the seating area and the brightness of the room, and a pair of InCeiling Gold/6 Omnis above and behind the couch for the 7.1 channels. Make sure your authorized Triad dealer has the grills paint matched to your walls and ceiling for a nice look. Both you and your wife will be happier. I'm not recommending dipoles in that room. They'll work okay, but direct-radiating is better for you.

Just for grins, if you wanted to go nuts, do three InCeiling Silver/6 Monitors for the fronts ($2,450 each.) The amount of sound compromise from doing ceiling speakers becomes dramatically diminished.

That room needs two subs, at least. You could do a couple of InCeiling Bronze/10 Subs near the front, spread wide and near the side walls. That's $3,000 worth of subs, but they are totally stealth and built-in. Two of them (two long-throw tens and a total of 600 watts RMS) will be fairly robust in that room.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #214 of 223 Old 08-11-2009, 12:18 PM
prs

Thanks for your input.
post #215 of 223 Old 10-13-2009, 11:18 AM
prs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

InCeiling Bronze/8 LCRs will do a nice job up front. You might want to do InWall Gold/4 Omnis for the sides, due to the distance from the seating area and the brightness of the room, and a pair of InCeiling Gold/6 Omnis above and behind the couch for the 7.1 channels. Make sure your authorized Triad dealer has the grills paint matched to your walls and ceiling for a nice look. Both you and your wife will be happier. I'm not recommending dipoles in that room. They'll work okay, but direct-radiating is better for you.

Just for grins, if you wanted to go nuts, do three InCeiling Silver/6 Monitors for the fronts ($2,450 each.) The amount of sound compromise from doing ceiling speakers becomes dramatically diminished.

That room needs two subs, at least. You could do a couple of InCeiling Bronze/10 Subs near the front, spread wide and near the side walls. That's $3,000 worth of subs, but they are totally stealth and built-in. Two of them (two long-throw tens and a total of 600 watts RMS) will be fairly robust in that room.

Paul, I am going to working on this project and would like to discuss options with you. I have photos and measurements.

Prather

FYI - I am closer to everyone in Louisiana .......
post #216 of 223 Old 10-13-2009, 10:07 PM

Paul I am in a bind as to which way to go with my 7.1 setup too. Can I e-mail you a couple of pictures of the room so you could let me know which direction I can go in? All I do know is that I want to go with in-walls for LCR & surrounds. The sub can go either way I think. The receiver is going to be a Pioneer SC25 and I am split on whether to get a 7 channel amp or not (Emotiva). Please let me know if you could help me out sir. Thank you.
post #217 of 223 Old 10-14-2009, 06:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komm View Post

Paul I am in a bind as to which way to go with my 7.1 setup too. Can I e-mail you a couple of pictures of the room so you could let me know which direction I can go in? All I do know is that I want to go with in-walls for LCR & surrounds. The sub can go either way I think. The receiver is going to be a Pioneer SC25 and I am split on whether to get a 7 channel amp or not (Emotiva). Please let me know if you could help me out sir. Thank you.

You can either post the pictures here or e-mail me at pscarpelli@triadspeakers.com. It would help to know a budget and what you want to do for a sub. Also room size and seating.

Thanks for aasking!

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #218 of 223 Old 10-15-2009, 09:23 PM
ekk

i got a pending deal on a house that hopefully will close by end of nov. in any case, being that the area for my home theatre has an open space that leads into the kitchen makes placing my rear surround a bit tough (for 7.1).

i could put the speakers right behind the couch but do you think that'll be too close? another option would be using in-ceiling speakers which i did notice they had two up there already but im not sure what they are and whether they're suitable for surround sound. if i do end up going the in-ceiling route and replace the speakers thats currently there, what model would be recommended? something thats good value and not too expensive.

here is my current setup:
denon avr 1909
fronts: polk monitor 60
center: polk csi3 (i think)
l/r surround: polk rti4
rear surround: onkyo speakers from htb system
sub: velodyne dps-12

heres a pic of the area, ill have to modify that middle part to fit a bigger tv in.
post #219 of 223 Old 01-24-2010, 08:49 PM

Hi everyone -
stumbled upon this thread looking for info on Dali Ikon Phantom's. I've got an opportunity to pick up 2 pair and a Phantom Vokal, still in boxes. Since I'm still in the planning phase of my HT, I'm starting from scratch. The room would be approx 15' x 19' with about 9' ceiling. Planning on 2 rows of seating and a 2.35:1 screen.

What are opinions on these speakers? Would additional speakers be required along w/ the subs?
Any input/help appreciated.

Mike
Started the build...Theater With A View
post #220 of 223 Old 03-17-2010, 01:56 PM

This thread may be well past the use-by date but I thought I could jump in rather than start a new one since the topic seems to fit.

I also am shopping for some in-wall speakers for new construction. I will eventually have a dedicated room for home theater but that will probably be a couple years down the road. Initially I will be putting in a more modest 5.1 system in a family room that is partially open to a kitchen. For aesthetics, I need to go in-wall. I want it to sound good, but not spend too much since I'll be dropping more money later for the dedicated HT. I don't need them to have deep bass because I will be using a sub for that.

I've done enough reading to know that there is a benefit to in-wall speakers that are fully enclosed. For this application I'm not going to spend enough to get some of the more expensive commonly recommended brands (Triads and the like). There doesn't seem to be an entry-level priced option that is fully enclosed. At one time TSC seemed like a good option for this scenario, but they are no more.

Now it seems the only option for value-priced in-walls is open-back designs, possibly something like the Daytons from Parts Express or CSW MC300IWs. I'm not audiophile, so I think I'll be satisfied with the sound, but since it is new construction would it be worth making some sort of MDF back box to try to improve performance/isolate them?

Are there any sub $250 enclosed-back in-walls that I am missing? Any opinions are appreciated.
post #221 of 223 Old 03-19-2010, 09:06 AM

I too am like speedbump, trying to please the mrs. with quality entry level in walls to complete my Family room ht setup at a good price. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
post #222 of 223 Old 03-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Here is an article that may be of interest to you.

http://www.cepro.com/article/how_to_...peaker_systems

I have Triads and would not want to recommend anything less. Another thought, if you are a DIY type of person. Install Triads (or equivalent) now and when you are ready to build your theater, move them. Repairing dry wall, tapeing and painting is really a pretty minor job. Actually, by then, you may decide to leave them alone and buy some new speakers for that room. Keep in mind that speakers will be the limiting factor on sound quality. No matter how good all of the other electronics are, the sound will only be as good as the speakers.
post #223 of 223 Old 03-20-2010, 08:34 AM

Liked: 11
Is that $250 each, or per pair? I found these http://www.axiomaudio.com/m22-inwall-speakers.html and these http://www.axiomaudio.com/t2.html, may be worth a look.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page