Infinity Primus Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 3948 Old 11-26-2006, 05:45 PM
Member
 
Rao1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by axs View Post

How high volume you are talking about? Did you turn it to the max or just 60-70%?
Good luck.

Thanks for the information. I did some research on amp clipping (http://www.rocketroberts.com/techart/amp.htm)
and now I know what exactly would have happened. The tweeter got damaged because of amp clipping. I was trying test speakers and receiver at higher volume, probably around 80% of max power. I have re-connected my TSS 750 and looks like my receiver is in good condition.
I want to add an amplifier when I set up primus again. Do you recommend any amplifier to go with onkyo and primus ? I looked at Onkyo M-282 amplifier for $200, looks good to me.
Rao1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 3948 Old 11-26-2006, 07:03 PM
axs
AVS Special Member
 
axs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rao1 View Post

I want to add an amplifier when I set up primus again. Do you recommend any amplifier to go with onkyo and primus ? I looked at Onkyo M-282 amplifier for $200, looks good to me.

I think Onkyo TX-SR702 have enough power to drive 360s, but if you like to add external amp anyway then check these out too
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

You will need 2 of them (one each for front L/R).
axs is offline  
post #273 of 3948 Old 11-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Member
 
khale7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any thoughts on the Infinity PRIMUS THEATER PACK? With a onkyo 604.

Thanks
khale7 is offline  
post #274 of 3948 Old 11-27-2006, 02:02 AM
Member
 
Gigapod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale7 View Post

Any thoughts on the Infinity PRIMUS THEATER PACK? With a onkyo 604.

Thanks

It's a good combination for an entry-level HT system, with good stereo music playback.
Gigapod is offline  
post #275 of 3948 Old 11-27-2006, 02:46 AM
Member
 
Gigapod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rao1 View Post

...
I want to add an amplifier when I set up primus again.
...

Hi,
If I understand you well, it seems you want to add an extra amplifier to drive your main speakers because you believe you have driven your Onkyo SR-703 to clipping levels, and that blew a tweeter on one of your Primus 360 speakers.

The SR 703 is rated at 100W/channel into 8 Ohms at 0.08% distortion, but that's way below clipping.

At 100W, your Primus speakers would be putting out 113dB at 1 meter - each. That's around 115dB give or take a few dBs if you were standing somewhere not too far from them, and it's way too high sound level for any normal person to bear, even for a few seconds.

A jack hammer at 1m is around 100dB. To give you an idea, 115dB is what you would get if you were standing in the middle of 4 or 5 jack hammers.

In other words, you are probably never going to listen to music at that sound level, and you probably didn't during your test.

If you do listen at these levels, then you don't need an extra amplifier, you need more efficient speakers, like the Klipsch, which are considerably more expensive than the Primus. Be warned that you can damage your hearing, though. Also the cat will leave the house and won't return, and the neighbors will complain...

Or get yourself some good closed headphones. With these you can damage your hearing, but nobody will notice...

The M-282 is rated at 105W/channel into 8 Ohms. That's 0.2dB louder than your Onkyo SR 703, so it won't change anything at all.

Imho you did not drive your Onkyo to clipping levels, you were just unlucky and one of the drivers or one of the xover components on the Primus 360 failed.
Gigapod is offline  
post #276 of 3948 Old 11-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Member
 
weatherman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Disregarding room dimensions and listen-before-you-buy tests, which of these is the best buy? System would be powered by Yamaha RX-V2600 and paired with a Velodyne VRP1000 sub for now. With the exception of a better sub (maybe), I'd rather not upgrade beyone this for quite some time.

1. Infinity Primus 360, 1pr, fronts
" " C25, 1, center
" " 150, 1pr, rear surround
" " 150, 1pr, side surround or presence channels on Yammie
$ 610

2. Infinity Primus 360, 1pr, fronts
" " C25, 1, center
" " 140, 1pr, rear surround
" " 160, 1pr, side surround or presence channels on Yammie
$ 628 or $ 538 with the Primus 250 vice 360

3. Infinity Primus 250, 1pr, fronts
" " C25, 1, center
" " 150, 1pr, rear surround
" " 150, 1pr, side surround or presence channels on Yammie
$ 520

4. SVS 5.0 system
2 pr SBS-01, front and surround
1SCS-01, center
$599

I'm leaning fairly heavily toward number 1. What do you owners think?
weatherman98 is offline  
post #277 of 3948 Old 11-27-2006, 07:49 PM
axs
AVS Special Member
 
axs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman98 View Post

Disregarding room dimensions and listen-before-you-buy tests, which of these is the best buy? System would be powered by Yamaha RX-V2600 and paired with a Velodyne VRP1000 sub for now. With the exception of a better sub (maybe), I'd rather not upgrade beyone this for quite some time.

1. Infinity Primus 360, 1pr, fronts
" " C25, 1, center
" " 150, 1pr, rear surround
" " 150, 1pr, side surround or presence channels on Yammie
$ 610

2. Infinity Primus 360, 1pr, fronts
" " C25, 1, center
" " 140, 1pr, rear surround
" " 160, 1pr, side surround or presence channels on Yammie
$ 628 or $ 538 with the Primus 250 vice 360

3. Infinity Primus 250, 1pr, fronts
" " C25, 1, center
" " 150, 1pr, rear surround
" " 150, 1pr, side surround or presence channels on Yammie
$ 520

4. SVS 5.0 system
2 pr SBS-01, front and surround
1SCS-01, center
$599

I'm leaning fairly heavily toward number 1. What do you owners think?

If you decide to go with Infinity Primus speakers, I would also suggest #1.

SVS (SBS01/SCS01) package also gets a lot of good review around here, so that also might be worth checking out.

Good luck.
axs is offline  
post #278 of 3948 Old 11-28-2006, 04:06 AM
Member
 
weatherman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
or, here's another option...

what about number 1 with Interlude 50's instead of Primus 360's for the same price? Which is better then?
weatherman98 is offline  
post #279 of 3948 Old 11-28-2006, 04:44 AM
Member
 
Gigapod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman98 View Post

or, here's another option...

what about number 1 with Interlude 50's instead of Primus 360's for the same price? Which is better then?

Hi weatherman98,

The Interlude 50's are not tone/level matched to the Primus speakers, so I wouldn't recommend mixing them in a HT setup. Besides, they each have their own active subwoofer, which would be redundant if you buy a Velodyne VRP1000. And in the end, the Primus 360's would probably sound better.

I would follow axs' advice and go for your original #1 solution.

Just my $0.02.
Gigapod is offline  
post #280 of 3948 Old 11-28-2006, 05:05 AM
Member
 
Cowboy420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Stephens City, Virginia
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
#1 gets my vote..
Cowboy420 is offline  
post #281 of 3948 Old 11-28-2006, 05:14 AM
Member
 
weatherman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks all! In addition to #1 being the best option, is it a good deal? I'd like to get a good value along with good audio!
weatherman98 is offline  
post #282 of 3948 Old 11-28-2006, 07:43 AM
Member
 
Cowboy420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Stephens City, Virginia
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think its an outstanding deal. I payed a bit more for mine becuase they hadn't been price slashed as much. Even at the price I payed im TOTALLY happy with it.

(2) 360's $400
(2) 250's $300
(1) C25 $100
(1) SVS-PB10 $500
Cowboy420 is offline  
post #283 of 3948 Old 11-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Member
 
Gigapod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman98 View Post

thanks all! In addition to #1 being the best option, is it a good deal? I'd like to get a good value along with good audio!

Considering your are getting 7 speakers total for $610, imho it's an excellent deal. As for value, well, I recommend you wait until you hear your system in your home and make up your own mind! Or read the comments here from previous owners!
Gigapod is offline  
post #284 of 3948 Old 11-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Member
 
Rao1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigapod View Post

Hi,
If you do listen at these levels, then you don't need an extra amplifier, you need more efficient speakers, like the Klipsch, which are considerably more expensive than the Primus. Be warned that you can damage your hearing, though. Also the cat will leave the house and won't return, and the neighbors will complain...

Or get yourself some good closed headphones. With these you can damage your hearing, but nobody will notice...

The M-282 is rated at 105W/channel into 8 Ohms. That's 0.2dB louder than your Onkyo SR 703, so it won't change anything at all.

Imho you did not drive your Onkyo to clipping levels, you were just unlucky and one of the drivers or one of the xover components on the Primus 360 failed.

LOL..
You may be right. I am very new to HT system. Do not know much about amplifiers. I regret for not visiting this forum before buying TSS 750. However,I do believe that it was something to do with amplifier power and volume. I was listening to poorly recorded Indian movie song at very high volume, which was not that loud and that song contained some weird instrumets too.
Rao1 is offline  
post #285 of 3948 Old 11-28-2006, 08:00 PM
axs
AVS Special Member
 
axs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rao1 View Post

LOL..
You may be right. I am very new to HT system. Do not know much about amplifiers. I regret for not visiting this forum before buying TSS 750. However,I do believe that it was something to do with amplifier power and volume.

It is not all that bad. You have now 360s and all you need to do is get C25. Use the satellites for surrounds. May be you can go for a 7.1 setup now, this way only TSS center channel will be a waste or you can use 2 of the satellites in zone 2 for some casual listening in kitchen or a bedroom. Another option is to see if you can sell it off on eBay etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rao1 View Post

I was listening to poorly recorded Indian movie song at very high volume, which was not that loud and that song contained some weird instrumets too.

What do you use for playing these songs - A CD/DVD player or an MP3 player (iPod etc)? Obviously quality source material is important, but using Lossless formats will give you much better quality than lossy format like MP3.
axs is offline  
post #286 of 3948 Old 11-28-2006, 08:56 PM
Member
 
johnaussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigapod View Post

I agree. I have the Pioneer VSX-816 (7x100W) driving the Primus 360's (main) and 250's (surround). The Primus are relatively efficient and the Pioneer drives them effortlessly, getting barely warm even after many hours playing at reasonable levels. The auto-calibration feature is quite neat and the remote is very complete, although it does take a while to learn how to use the wealth of features available on the Pioneer.

Neither the Pioneer nor the Primus are "audiophile-standard" components but I think both brands provide good value. For example, the Pioneer receiver's front panel and buttons are plastic, and the Infinity Primus speakers are finished in "wood grain" vynil. Does that have any effect on how they sound? No.

Reviews:
  1. Pioneer VSX-816-K/S (7x100W): check the digitaltrends review.
  2. Pioneer VSX-1016TXV (7x120W, THX2, HDMI): there's a review on CNET.

Any other thoughts on a nice complement/matched receiver in the $400 - $600 range for the following setup:
Front: 360's
center: C25
surrounds: 160's
sub: PS-12

Looking at the Denon 2307CI on sale - but wondering if the Denon might be too warm for these speakers? Any help would be appreciated.
Listening to music 40 %
movie and Home Theatre 40%
football HD 20%

I like the options of using the HDMI connections in the Denon - but it is not a deal killer - sound is more important.
Can you give me guidance on the best match?
johnaussie is offline  
post #287 of 3948 Old 11-29-2006, 03:12 AM
Member
 
Gigapod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnaussie View Post

Any other thoughts on a nice complement/matched receiver in the $400 - $600 range for the following setup:
...
Can you give me guidance on the best match?

You have many, many choices for a receiver in this price range; and as you can see, I paid a lot less than that for mine (my Pioneer 816 cost me < $300), so you may get some better advice in the receiver section of this forum.
Anyways, the power requirements to drive your Primus HT setup are quite modest, because the Primus 360's are relatively efficient speakers, at 93db/W.
Meaning, basically any receiver you buy, costing > $400, will do fine with the Primus in terms of power. The only concern could be that, according to lab tests, the impedance of the Primus 360's: it can dip below 4 Ohms at some frequencies; so I would favor a receiver than can handle low impedance loads (I believe Yamahas in the price range that you specified do well with low impedance loads).
But your choice of receiver will probably be based on connectivity options, if you like the remote or not, availability in your area, and other criteria.
So I really recommend you ask around in the receiver section of this forum, and check a few reviews on the Web.
I found a review of the Denon here: http://reviews.cnet.com/Denon_AVR_23...-31987324.html
The reviewer seems to have some reservations regarding the remote control and the HDMI capabilities, but otherwise deemed it a good product.
Note: many manufacturers will not honor the warranty on receivers purchased from unauthorized dealers. So in any case, I recommend you buy only from an authorized dealer.
Gigapod is offline  
post #288 of 3948 Old 11-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Newbie
 
CGB21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigapod View Post

After almost two weeks of daily use and quite a few listening sessions, I still hear little difference between the 360's and 250's when playing jazz, classical or electronic music (my Jazz recordings date from the 1950's and may not quite have the level of detail required for speaker comparisons). However, when switching between them in the middle of a note or song, one can tell they have different frequency responses, not so much in the high frequencies, but between 200~2000 Hz, which is basically the range of human voice. The 250's seem to emphasize slightly the midrange frequencies, the 360's seem more neutral, with a flatter response. The difference, however, is very subtle.

I cannot say I prefer either. Some instruments seem to stand out better on the 250's, and some on the 360's. It seems that playing on both sets of speakers simultaneously (mode A+B on the receiver) gets me the best of both worlds.

I have played music at louder levels and both speakers can hold their own; the sound is still similar. They could play even louder but I wouldn't want my neighbors banging at my door...

I don't have bookshelves that I can use for speakers and I am not very satisfied with speaker stands, which is the main reason I prefered the 250's vs. 150's as surround speakers. So I am now going to move the 250's to their surround position.

I also just got delivered a 12" active subwoofer which I bought used for $130, a german Magnat Alpha 30a. It does reach frequencies into the low 20's and has its own 180W amp; after turning down its volume control it matches quite seamlessly the Primus 360's and 250's (I am crossing over at 80Hz on the receiver).

I have done all my listening tests until now in "Direct" mode on the receiver: no level-matching, no equalisation whatsoever. My future tests will be done in a 4.1 setup, with Dolby II Pro music surround mixing and the Pioneer's automatically calibrated acoustic equalisation settings.

CGB21, since you already have the 250's and the sub, you may want to add the 360's to your setup. IMHO they would be worth the investment.


Thanks much for the further information. I think I'll get the 360s when I upgrade my system and move the 250s to the back (my current rear speakers are severly miss-matched). Your surround system should sound great. A Pioneer auto-setup receiver got a good review in "The Sensible Sound" magazine.
CGB21 is offline  
post #289 of 3948 Old 11-29-2006, 05:34 PM
Newbie
 
CGB21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigapod View Post


I agree, it does look like one mean center channel, with 2 midrange drivers and the tweeter slightly above/between them.
I am not very impressed by the upgrades to the other speakers, though, at least aesthetically speaking. I'd like to read some reviews on how they sound, not that I intend to upgrade so soon, but I am curious about how Infinity set to improve on the original Primus line.

I asked an Infinity phone rep about the new line a couple a months ago, and he did not know anything, but thought it would be mainly style/cosmetic. It looks like the larger center channel, based on the numbers, is designed to go with the larger 360 style speaker. This makes sense because the C25 is small and could use a little more omph for use with bigger speakers. I don't think there will be any problem with tonal matching between the two lines. They probably use the same drivers.
CGB21 is offline  
post #290 of 3948 Old 11-29-2006, 07:57 PM
Member
 
type456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have any of you compared the Primus 140 with the 150? The Primus Theater pack seems like a good deal for those that have a small room. Seems to me that this is Infinity's equivalent to Athena's Point 5 system which is a great setup for a small room home theater. How's the center channel that comes with the theater pack?
type456 is offline  
post #291 of 3948 Old 11-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Senior Member
 
throwback559's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is any1 has the PS12 what do you have the settings at ?
throwback559 is offline  
post #292 of 3948 Old 11-29-2006, 10:07 PM
Member
 
Gigapod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwback559 View Post

Is any1 has the PS12 what do you have the settings at ?

You would probably get a better answer in the subwoofer forum, but in any case please give more details on your setup; it's impossible to answer your question without knowing what your other speakers are, layout, room size, receiver, music style, etc.
Gigapod is offline  
post #293 of 3948 Old 11-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Member
 
Gigapod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB21 View Post

I asked an Infinity phone rep about the new line a couple a months ago, and he did not know anything, but thought it would be mainly style/cosmetic. It looks like the larger center channel, based on the numbers, is designed to go with the larger 360 style speaker. This makes sense because the C25 is small and could use a little more omph for use with bigger speakers. I don't think there will be any problem with tonal matching between the two lines. They probably use the same drivers.

Hi CGB21,
My turn to thank you for the information. I guess Harman Intl. decided to launch the new line in 2007, because I still haven't seen any sign of the new speakers in retail channels.
I agree entirely with your analysis of the larger center channel. I am thinking about waiting until I can get one to buy mine.
Gigapod is offline  
post #294 of 3948 Old 11-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Member
 
weatherman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by type456 View Post

Have any of you compared the Primus 140 with the 150? The Primus Theater pack seems like a good deal for those that have a small room. Seems to me that this is Infinity's equivalent to Athena's Point 5 system which is a great setup for a small room home theater. How's the center channel that comes with the theater pack?


Don't flame me or stomp on my pee pee if I hang it out in ignorance here, but I think the center channel for this system is the C25 that everyone in this forum has discussed.

Haven't compared the two bookshelves either, maybe someonel else has and will respond...
weatherman98 is offline  
post #295 of 3948 Old 11-30-2006, 05:23 AM
axs
AVS Special Member
 
axs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman98 View Post

Don't flame me or stomp on my pee pee if I hang it out in ignorance here, but I think the center channel for this system is the C25 that everyone in this forum has discussed.

Haven't compared the two bookshelves either, maybe someonel else has and will respond...

The bookshelf speakers in primus theater pack is primus 140s, but center channel is different. It is certainly not, C25.

C25 has dual 5.25" drivers, but center channel in primus pack has dual 4" drivers. Physical dimension, FR and weight too are different.
axs is offline  
post #296 of 3948 Old 11-30-2006, 06:41 AM
Newbie
 
sandiegoruss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was setting up my speakers with my HK AVR7300 last night. The HK manual says to go look at the specs for your speakers to determine the crossover (I have 360s in front, 150s for surrounds, c25, and the PS12 sub). It has quadruple crossover, so I can set crossover for each element.

The specs for the 360s say the crossover freq is 350hz, the 150's say 3,300 hz, the c25 3,000 hz. Choices on the AVR are 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 200 hz.

Umm, how do I match 3000 hz to any of those settings?

I reviewed this thread and set everything to small and the crossover at 80, but why are the numbers that infinity sets with their specs so different than everything else?

Am i comparing apples to oranges?
sandiegoruss is offline  
post #297 of 3948 Old 11-30-2006, 09:31 AM
Member
 
Gigapod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoruss View Post

...
Am i comparing apples to oranges?

Yes!
Anytime you have to make the transition between a driver and another in a speaker, you have a crossover frequency. But the crossover frequency that you set on the receiver is the one that controls the crossover to the separate subwoofer in a 2.1 or 5.1 or 7.1 setup (the subwoofer is the ".1" part, in this case, your PS12, which you should connect preferably with a simple RCA cable to the specific output at the back of your receiver).
You can get more details in the subwoofer part of this forum, but the general advice here as regards the Primus 360's and Primus HT gear is to set the subwoofer crossover frequency at 80Hz. So basically you already have your receiver setup correctly!
Gigapod is offline  
post #298 of 3948 Old 11-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Member
 
weatherman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by axs View Post

The bookshelf speakers in primus theater pack is primus 140s, but center channel is different. It is certainly not, C25.

C25 has dual 5.25" drivers, but center channel in primus pack has dual 4" drivers. Physical dimension, FR and weight too are different.


Thanks for the correction, and thanks for treading lightly!
weatherman98 is offline  
post #299 of 3948 Old 11-30-2006, 01:05 PM
Member
 
weatherman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigapod View Post

Yes!
Anytime you have to make the transition between a driver and another in a speaker, you have a crossover frequency. But the crossover frequency that you set on the receiver is the one that controls the crossover to the separate subwoofer in a 2.1 or 5.1 or 7.1 setup (the subwoofer is the ".1" part, in this case, your PS12, which you should connect preferably with a simple RCA cable to the specific output at the back of your receiver).
You can get more details in the subwoofer part of this forum, but the general advice here as regards the Primus 360's and Primus HT gear is to set the subwoofer crossover frequency at 80Hz. So basically you already have your receiver setup correctly!


In other words (if I'm understanding your reply correctly) you're saying the infinity listed crossovers are the crossovers between the two drivers in the speakers, right? (ie within the 360's, 350Hz and lower goes to the woofer and above goes to the tweeter)
weatherman98 is offline  
post #300 of 3948 Old 11-30-2006, 03:38 PM
Member
 
Gigapod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman98 View Post

In other words (if I'm understanding your reply correctly) you're saying the infinity listed crossovers are the crossovers between the two drivers in the speakers, right? (ie within the 360's, 350Hz and lower goes to the woofer and above goes to the tweeter)

Weatherman98,
that's ... almost correct! Since the 360's are three-way speakers (four drivers, but that includes two woofers), they have two crossovers, one to make the transition between the two woofers and the medium, and one to make the transition between medium and tweeter. It is these frequencies that Infinity mentions in their specifications.
But you got the right idea.
Gigapod is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off