Infinity Primus Owner's Thread - Page 136 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2015, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I am enjoying the P363's as my mains right now however I noticed my right speaker lacking in the high's dept. After some quick sophisticated testing using my ears it was painfully obvious i sent the tweeter packing home.

So I have read past posts about others who have blown the tweeter and called Harmon, tweeter is no longer around and the few links from goggling were from 2012 so they were no good anymore. Does anyone here now where or how I can find a replacement tweeter or a correct size that I could get to fit for the P363?

I'm grasping at straws I know but haven't even had these things a month yet so don't want to chalk them up as junk yet if I don't have to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7racer View Post
So I am enjoying the P363's as my mains right now however I noticed my right speaker lacking in the high's dept. After some quick sophisticated testing using my ears it was painfully obvious i sent the tweeter packing home.

So I have read past posts about others who have blown the tweeter and called Harmon, tweeter is no longer around and the few links from goggling were from 2012 so they were no good anymore. Does anyone here now where or how I can find a replacement tweeter or a correct size that I could get to fit for the P363?

I'm grasping at straws I know but haven't even had these things a month yet so don't want to chalk them up as junk yet if I don't have to.
Try ebay....
Old 05-12-2015, 05:59 PM

Yeah, glanced at some, thinking best bet is to buy cheap bookshelf in the series used and just steal the tweeter and toss the bookshelf after haha. If I paid more than 100 I'd be pissed but let's face it I got what I paid for with the P363's. Can't really complain for their price.

From reading around that's one drawback these Primus series have is a cruddy tweeter essentially.

The smallest bookshelf is only 60 so only about 25 more than if I did find the tweeter to buy.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 161
You can't just take any tweeter and pop it in. You'd have to get a new crossover and that won't be easy unless you know what you're doing.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Since you've had them less than a month you should be able to take them back to where you bought them from. Both Fry's and Amazon have a 30 day return window. You can get an exchange at Fry's or return to Amazon then wait for the next sale to get a replacement. If you bought it somewhere else check with their return policy. They should have some type of warranty if you bought them new from an authorized reseller. Worst case scenario, if you bought them using a credit card, some have extended warranties. I know American Express will just refund you your money if the manufacturer can't/won't help you.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:15 PM

Yuppers on the can't just put any tweeter in but all their primus series seem to use the same MMD 19mm tweeter, each crossover may be different but so far from my gathering tweeters are the same. I read a few posts with some replacing tweeters and adjusting crossover since Infinity has it crossed about 3.3khz.

Also yeah I could send it back to amazon but time is money and for me it's easier to drop 60 on a cheap bookshelf and do a swap myself within minutes than all those other time consuming options. The Speaker Exchange wants 45 to fix/recone and that's after me shipping it to them.

I knew I was grasping at straws but one never knows if someone might know or have one on hand.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, saw "cheap bookshelf" but missed that you were talking about the same series.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:55 AM

No worries Soul, good and valid point

So I debated and went with one of the primus 4" 2-way bookshelf, it was only $50 so if all matches up the way I think it will/should I guess my fix will be a sinch. Honestly enjoying them and have to agree for when they are on sale it's hard to beat'em, although after this I'll have to be a bit more careful
Old 05-13-2015, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if it would help, but I'm selling my PC351 center. Probably not as cheap as a bookshelf though

Last edited by Soulburner; 05-13-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
No worries Soul, good and valid point

So I debated and went with one of the primus 4" 2-way bookshelf, it was only $50 so if all matches up the way I think it will/should I guess my fix will be a sinch. Honestly enjoying them and have to agree for when they are on sale it's hard to beat'em, although after this I'll have to be a bit more careful
All the tweeters are the exact same in the current generation of the Primus (the older p140s do measure different a bit different than the p143s).

I've taking the p143's apart before, so as a word of advice, the terminals used on the ends of the wires can be VERY tightly pinched onto the terminals on the tweeter. So take your time and go slow with trying to pull them off, if you just tug on it, you may end up putting damaging the tweeter before you are able to switch them.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the heads up. When I pulled the blown tweeter it was fairly easy to just slip off, not very tight at all. Got curious so pulled the other tweeter that is good as well and yeah those spades where darn tight indeed.

Word of caution was appreciated, new bookshelf will be in tomorrow so I'll expect an easy swap now. And yeah Soul I doubt the price would have been in range of my goal but thanks for tossing it as an option out there.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. When I pulled the blown tweeter it was fairly easy to just slip off, not very tight at all. Got curious so pulled the other tweeter that is good as well and yeah those spades where darn tight indeed.
When there is a tight connect on a tweeter or woofer - I take a small pick tool, and from the back
of the female disconnect, I pry it open some - then I begin to pull and work it off. However, as
always be careful when working with sharp like tools.

Hope things work out for you.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 05-15-2015, 01:01 PM

Had a smooth swap for the tweeter, was worried at first due to top plate being different but they were easy to pull out thankfully. Hopefully I won't break it again

Thanks for the input all around as well, for future reference supposedly Harmon with have the tweeters back in stock after June 15th from an email I received by them.
zieglj01 likes this.
Old Today, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Frys has the P363 towers on sale for $99 each w/coupon code, today only. Great speakers for under 100 bones. If anybody is interested in purchasing these, a code is required for online and in store purchase at this price. PM me and I'll be happy to give you my code, as I won't need it.

Game Room> LG 60" Plasma, Onkyo HT-RC560, Infinity P363 fronts, P163 center, P163's rears, JBL Loft40 FH, PSA XS30 and RA S-15 subs. PS4 and XBox One.
Living Room> Samsung 59" Plasma, Onkyo TX-NR509, JBL Studio 180 fronts, Studio 120c center, Polk RC60i in-wall rears, SVS PB12-NSD sub. PS3 and XBox 360.
PC set up> Yamaha RX-V377, Infinity P163's, Klipsch sub-12.
Master BR> Samsung 42" LED, Yamaha RX-V375, Denon 5 speaker, Jamo sub360.