Infinity Primus Owner's Thread - Page 137 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 17Likes
post #4081 of 4088 Old 08-19-2015, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabens View Post
Used Monitor Audio GR60 or New Infinity Primus?

I posted this in the Monitor Audio thread as well, but figured I'd look at it from both sides.

I'm sure my dealer is on here, and may actually see this post, but I want to get some opinions. I have the opportunity to purchase a set of Monitor Audio GR60 (I assume they are 10 to 15 years old), and I don't know a lot about speakers in general.

Due to the budget imposed on me, I was just looking to pick up some Infinity Primus P363 towers and the P351 center (on sale, roughly $400). Now I have the opportunity to get the GR60 and matching Center for just over $1000. They are in great shape, and sound nice (although I have no comparison).

Should I spend the extra money for 15 year old speakers? Or is the newer technology in the budget Infinity speakers good enough to outweigh the $600? I'm told the MA set retailed for $6500 and are basically amazing.
A few questions would be: What will you be driving them with, receiver/amp wise? Primus are efficient (93 db@1watt/meter) not sure about the GR60s. You can have a fine front set with either one, depends on if you can afford the extra $600. Obviously you won't have a warranty with the MA, but speakers are usually pretty rugged if not abused, and the GR60s are made with top quality parts. If you can swing it, get the GRs, if $$ is tight, you can do pretty well running the Primus. I own the original P360s, matched w/ a P351 center, & am very happy with them thru a Denon 4520ci. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4082 of 4088 Old 08-19-2015, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
A few questions would be: What will you be driving them with, receiver/amp wise? Primus are efficient (93 db@1watt/meter) not sure about the GR60s. You can have a fine front set with either one, depends on if you can afford the extra $600. Obviously you won't have a warranty with the MA, but speakers are usually pretty rugged if not abused, and the GR60s are made with top quality parts. If you can swing it, get the GRs, if $$ is tight, you can do pretty well running the Primus. I own the original P360s, matched w/ a P351 center, & am very happy with them thru a Denon 4520ci. Good luck!
Thanks for the input. I can afford them, so the cost difference isn't an issue, it was just a wife imposed budget...
I only have a Denon S900W, which seems a little weak to drive the MA's to their potential, but did fine with an old set of Yamaha towers, and will probably be fine for the P363s. The dealer mentioned he didn't think my Denon would be strong enough, and would probably need to upgrade eventually. I can just turn the volume up louder than I did with the Yamahas, so I can get to the listening volume I like. Bottom line, if I get the GR60s, I'll be spending more money down the road to power them (again, not a huge issue, but a factor, as my AV budget is kept low ).
post #4083 of 4088 Old 08-19-2015, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds to me like you are all set!
post #4084 of 4088 Old 08-19-2015, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
Sounds to me like you are all set!
Well, I was looking for the reassurance that the GR60s would be worth the extra money.
post #4085 of 4088 Old 08-19-2015, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, I was looking for the reassurance that the GR60s would be worth the extra money.
heh, if they are in great shape, I would guess heck yes. The added eye candy looks should appeal to She Who Must Be Obeyed also, since you will now officially blow your budget.
As much as I enjoy my Primus floor standers, I may be switching over to stand mounted speakers again, as my wife's been making "those noises" once in a while.
post #4086 of 4088 Old Today, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

source for p163 woofer replacement?

One of mine toppled over off it's stand a few weeks back, which damaged the voice coil (rub rub)
I've googled on finding a replacement, but several sites claim they are "discontinued". With so many thousands of these out in the world, would Harman really stop making replacement parts for this very popular speaker???
post #4087 of 4088 Old Today, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Used Monitor Audio GR60 or New Infinity Primus?

I posted this in the Monitor Audio thread as well, but figured I'd look at it from both sides.

I'm sure my dealer is on here, and may actually see this post, but I want to get some opinions. I have the opportunity to purchase a set of Monitor Audio GR60 (I assume they are 10 to 15 years old), and I don't know a lot about speakers in general.

Due to the budget imposed on me, I was just looking to pick up some Infinity Primus P363 towers and the P351 center (on sale, roughly $400). Now I have the opportunity to get the GR60 and matching Center for just over $1000. They are in great shape, and sound nice (although I have no comparison).

Should I spend the extra money for 15 year old speakers? Or is the newer technology in the budget Infinity speakers good enough to outweigh the $600? I'm told the MA set retailed for $6500 and are basically amazing.
I don't know much about those speakers or their condition, but the Primus line is almost as good as it gets for the price. I'm still trying to sell my PC351 center.
post #4088 of 4088 Unread Today, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I'd suggest the P363 + P163 (instead of PC351) as center and see how you like them first, they are extremely well regarded. You'll be getting brand new speakers and can return them if you don't like them and try out other speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page