Infinity Primus Owner's Thread - Page 142 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 51Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4231 of 4247 Old 01-13-2016, 06:34 PM
Senior Member
 
CTM Audi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 24
No I have not run audessey. I lost the mic thing needed to do it during a move.

I got the P363s today, and they are very impressive and what I was expecting. The two of them have a better, stronger, and higher output then all the surrounds of the Onkyo speakers together.

I was comparing the P163 to the larger front speakers of the Onkyo HTIB, and like I said above, I literally just unplugged one, and plugged in the Infinity and was expecting more output at same volume. I tried both of the P163s I have at the moment, and they were all pretty much equal.

Reciever is the HT-R592 rated for 130W 6ohm 1% THD with one channel driven. So being 8ohm, more speakers connected, etc.. a more realistic number is probably around 20-30W?

I also didn't say they were bad or that I didn't like them. Just that in initial testing there wasn't much difference to the fronts I had. But I didn't get them for fronts, I got them for surrounds which I'm sure they will be much better then the little 3in cones I have now. I got to wait for the last two to get here tomorrow, and their mounts.
CTM Audi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4232 of 4247 Old 01-25-2016, 09:54 PM
Member
 
Quattro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St Louis Park, MN
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the P363's and the PC351 center, and pretty dang happy with them. I was wondering how these speakers would sound compared to a 10 year old medium priced speaker like the Revel Concerta F12 speakers. I believe they retailed for $1,200 back in 2006. On the face of it, I'm guessing the Revels would sound better. Just curious if 10 years of technology gains and some good design by Andrew Jones gets them really close to something like the F12's. Just curious what others think.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloud...ZlCD8XT9psk.97
Quattro is offline  
post #4233 of 4247 Old 01-25-2016, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
duc135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
I have the P363's and the PC351 center, and pretty dang happy with them. I was wondering how these speakers would sound compared to a 10 year old medium priced speaker like the Revel Concerta F12 speakers. I believe they retailed for $1,200 back in 2006. On the face of it, I'm guessing the Revels would sound better. Just curious if 10 years of technology gains and some good design by Andrew Jones gets them really close to something like the F12's. Just curious what others think.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloud...ZlCD8XT9psk.97
Can't compare the P363 to the F12, however I can compare the P363 to it's much bigger brother, the F52. All I can say is that the P363 compares VERY favorably against the F52 which retailed for $7K. In a properly treated room, I would say the P363 is at least 80% the performance of the F52. If you can get the F12 for only a few hundred it might be worth it. The F12 will probably be slightly better in every aspect to the P363, but you're probably not going to hear a night and day difference. Keep in mind that they are all under the same parent company so probably share the same design philosophies in the very least.
duc135 is offline  
post #4234 of 4247 Old 01-26-2016, 09:27 PM
Member
 
Quattro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St Louis Park, MN
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
Can't compare the P363 to the F12, however I can compare the P363 to it's much bigger brother, the F52. All I can say is that the P363 compares VERY favorably against the F52 which retailed for $7K. In a properly treated room, I would say the P363 is at least 80% the performance of the F52. If you can get the F12 for only a few hundred it might be worth it. The F12 will probably be slightly better in every aspect to the P363, but you're probably not going to hear a night and day difference. Keep in mind that they are all under the same parent company so probably share the same design philosophies in the very least.
Good point, I forgot they are both under Harman! Thanks for the reply. I saw a set of F12's and a C12 on eBay for about $500. But, I'm going to pass. But if someone is looking you may want to check them out. My next speakers will actually be a set of Gallo CL-3's. So, any Minnesota residents looking for a set of P363 and PC351 in 9.9/10 condition, shoot me a note they may be available soon
Quattro is offline  
post #4235 of 4247 Old 01-28-2016, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,384
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
Can't compare the P363 to the F12, however I can compare the P363 to it's much bigger brother, the F52. All I can say is that the P363 compares VERY favorably against the F52 which retailed for $7K. In a properly treated room, I would say the P363 is at least 80% the performance of the F52. If you can get the F12 for only a few hundred it might be worth it. The F12 will probably be slightly better in every aspect to the P363, but you're probably not going to hear a night and day difference. Keep in mind that they are all under the same parent company so probably share the same design philosophies in the very least.
There are posts by Sean Olive and the actual speaker designers at Harmon about how the P363 is the real gem in Harmon's lineup and was designed to a much higher standard than its price, and blind listening tests in which it beats speakers that cost 7-10k, so this is no surprise.
GLBright likes this.
Defcon is online now  
post #4236 of 4247 Old 01-29-2016, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,808
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
There are posts by Sean Olive and the actual speaker designers at Harmon about how the P363 is the real gem in Harmon's lineup and was designed to a much higher standard than its price, and blind listening tests in which it beats speakers that cost 7-10k, so this is no surprise.
The P363 will not out perform a 7-10K speaker from a reputable brand. That's a little ambitious, or rather a lot.

Do I believe that the P363 plays well above it's price point even at $150? Yes. But not much more when comparing other gems. At the sale price of $100 that you can catch at Fry's, it's the best one I've heard.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review
Receiver : Denon x4100
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s/P363 center/HTD Level 2 Tower surrounds
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
bgtighe23 is online now  
post #4237 of 4247 Old 01-29-2016, 07:53 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all. I have just gone through the excruciating but fun journey of picking out a pair of speakers for my man cave. I mostly listen to classical music (chamber, concerto, opera) with occasional acoustic and jazz.

I started with a much higher budget, around $2500. I listened to Focal Aria 926, Saunus Faber Venere 2.5, B&W CM, Aperion Verus Grand, Reval F206, Martin Logan Motion 40. Some are pretty impressive, others less so. As I went through various speakers, I needed a pair of inexpensive towers to temporarily fill in the role. And here comes the Infinity Primus 363.

Upon unboxing and hooking it up to my Marantz 7009, I was not impressed. It sounded tinny and lacks low end timbre, especially with piano solo. I did some research online and programmed EQ, and added a sub while setting the speakers to small. After breaking it in for about 2 hours, it really opened up the speakers. Male and female vocal is very clear with very good imaging. Chamber music produces good soundstage although certain notes on violin and wind instrument still feels a touch "hot". I then tested with my go to track, Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody. With the exception of a few high notes, and a slightly thin texture (something to do with mid-base?), it's a good sonic experience.

In conclusion, I think with the right EQ setting and a sub pairing, Infinity P363 does classical music with satisfying results. It might lack the full-bodiness of the more expensive speakers and occasionally runs a little hot on the higher end, but the deficiencies can easily be overlooked given its sub 200/pair price tag. Will I still be getting a $2000/pair speakers? Probably, but I can take my time as the infinity fills in valiantly.
oreobang is offline  
post #4238 of 4247 Old 01-30-2016, 05:22 AM
Newbie
 
haripi2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a set of p163 for fronts. Can I use p163 for center as well or am I better off with pc 351?

I am not an audiophile and this is primarily for movies and watching the game. My room is around 20x15.
haripi2 is online now  
post #4239 of 4247 Old 01-30-2016, 11:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Greenwood Ave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by haripi2 View Post
I have a set of p163 for fronts. Can I use p163 for center as well or am I better off with pc 351?

I am not an audiophile and this is primarily for movies and watching the game. My room is around 20x15.
The determining factor is if you can fit it under your TV. I'm using the p163 as a center just below my screen and angled up. From a sound quality perspective this is more ideal than using a center. vertical speakers typically sound better than horizontal ones, and this allows you to have a center that more closely matches your mains.
Greenwood Ave is offline  
post #4240 of 4247 Old 01-30-2016, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northern, Va
Posts: 1,073
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by haripi2 View Post
I have a set of p163 for fronts. Can I use p163 for center as well or am I better off with pc 351?

I am not an audiophile and this is primarily for movies and watching the game. My room is around 20x15.
To me the center channel is the most important speaker in a HT setup. I like to understand what they are saying and while I have samples of all the Primus speakers except the P143, I would go with the PC351. Now if you were only thinking about the PC251 I would say just get the P163, but I have them all and I was impressed with the step up the PC351 offered over the PC251 and P163s.

steve1106 is online now  
post #4241 of 4247 Old 01-30-2016, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Not In A Gun Free Zone
Posts: 1,229
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by haripi2 View Post
I have a set of p163 for fronts. Can I use p163 for center as well or am I better off with pc 351?

I am not an audiophile and this is primarily for movies and watching the game. My room is around 20x15.
Absolutely. The P163 makes a great center speaker, what with it being the vertical design instead of the inferior horizontal design of most center speakers. It's also great to have your center speaker an exact match of the mains, making your front sound stage seamless. Plus the P163 is a heck of a lot less expensive. Frys.com has the 163 often for $47.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #4242 of 4247 Old 01-31-2016, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Md's lower shore
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 80
i think the 351 is a great center so far

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
mdram is online now  
post #4243 of 4247 Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM
Newbie
 
haripi2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the suggestions folks .

Now I need to buy my surrounds and a sub. Considering that I am using p163 for fronts am I limited to a 10 inch sub. I am on a budget currently and I am not planning to spend too much ona sub . probably less than 200 dollars.

Please advise ?

As for my rear speakers (5.1 setup) can I consider jbl loft 30 ?

Or should I wait for p143?
haripi2 is online now  
post #4244 of 4247 Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northern, Va
Posts: 1,073
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by haripi2 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions folks .

Now I need to buy my surrounds and a sub. Considering that I am using p163 for fronts am I limited to a 10 inch sub. I am on a budget currently and I am not planning to spend too much ona sub . probably less than 200 dollars.

Please advise ?

As for my rear speakers (5.1 setup) can I consider jbl loft 30 ?

Or should I wait for p143?
What center did you decide on?

On the rears, I would use what you have or wait for the P153s or P163s if you have room for them in the back.

Under $200 subs are tough. Maybe the Dayton 12 or 15 inch ($199 with free shipping). In my case I just went with two Polk PSW10 subs ($79 and $89 on sale) with one in the front and one in the back. I wasn't impressed with the BIC F12 I have so it is a spare now, but I have been trying to figure out how to fit in the Dayton 15 for a 7.3 or 7.4 if I put the F12 back in.
steve1106 is online now  
post #4245 of 4247 Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM
Newbie
 
haripi2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
What center did you decide on?

On the rears, I would use what you have or wait for the P153s or P163s if you have room for them in the back.

Under $200 subs are tough. Maybe the Dayton 12 or 15 inch ($199 with free shipping). In my case I just went with two Polk PSW10 subs ($79 and $89 on sale) with one in the front and one in the back. I wasn't impressed with the BIC F12 I have so it is a spare now, but I have been trying to figure out how to fit in the Dayton 15 for a 7.3 or 7.4 if I put the F12 back in.
P163 for center

I am going to go with p163 for fronts. I don't want to have a huge speaker in the rears if the improvement is going to be marginal. Have young kids so want to limit the size of rear speakers as they are going to sit In a wall shelf .

As for sub, can I get a 12 inch sub or should I limit to 10 inch considering I am using bookshelf for fronts
haripi2 is online now  
post #4246 of 4247 Old Today, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Md's lower shore
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by haripi2 View Post
P163 for center

I am going to go with p163 for fronts. I don't want to have a huge speaker in the rears if the improvement is going to be marginal. Have young kids so want to limit the size of rear speakers as they are going to sit In a wall shelf .

As for sub, can I get a 12 inch sub or should I limit to 10 inch considering I am using bookshelf for fronts
you can use whatever size sub you want
the 163 is on sale at frys again this week for 47 each

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
mdram is online now  
post #4247 of 4247 Old Today, 08:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Make that <$39/ea limit two today (Sun). I have my four P163's collecting dust - I replaced them with P363's.
Stainz is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off