Infinity Primus Owner's Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last
Speakers > Infinity Primus Owner's Thread
djshtnut's Avatar djshtnut 11:54 AM 02-09-2007
Infinity Primus Set-ups.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have an Infinity Primus Set-up can you post a link to your set-up or send me some pics please. I am soon going to have a Primus set-up (Hopefully), and want to see what my fellow Primus lovers set-ups look like.

Thanks.

axs's Avatar axs 05:08 PM 02-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTRMikeD View Post

Crossover points for Primus.

I've gone thru Audessey on the Onkyo 604 a few times with some surprising results. Audessey sets all speakers except the c25 to full band. AND sends LFE to the sub at 80hz. I've learned that this is generally an audio no-no. It also increases the db of the 360s to +2 and the sub to -2. I think this might make sense if full band is on but this seems like whacky decision making by Audessey.

I changed it to:
360s............60hz...........Fronts...................+0
c25.............100..............Center..................+1
150s............80..............Surrounds/back.....+1/+2
sub..............80...............LFE....................... +2

Im still fiddling with it any rules of thumb I'm overlooking. The crossovers could go lower to the almost exact ration of the speaker but I don't think that's a good idea. Am I wrong on this

Thanks

--mike

Any speaker which can play below 80hz (both 360 and 150 can do that), Audyssey will set them to Large (or Full Band). I think the crossover frequencies you set manually for these speakers seem to be fine. You may like to try even 80hz for 360s and 100hz for 150s. No harm in a little experimentation and keep the one you like most. As for sub, I think you should push that up to 120hz.

I wouldn't change the speaker levels set by Audyssey, unless you are using SPL meter to calibrate it manually.
Tony1970's Avatar Tony1970 07:09 PM 02-09-2007
New to HT. OK, thanks to you guys I will be purchasing Primus series this weekend. One final small request for recommendation. My original purchase was going to be from Crutchfield:

Primus 360 x 2
Primus 150 x2
Primus C25
Bic H100

Total $870 shipped.

I saw today on Vanns site:

Primus 362 x 2
Primus 152 x 2
Primus PC350
PS212 sub

Total $1000 shipped.

For 130 looks like I get a better center channel, but what about the Infinity sub vs. the Bic. I have no way to audition either. Which setup is better value or is there a different combo that may be better. Thanks for your help.
HarBlar's Avatar HarBlar 11:56 AM 02-10-2007
Couldn't stand it... I broke down and ordered myself a new receiver as well.

I like the new speakers, but I can tell that my current receiver is crap. There's improvement, but not enough. I know it has to be my recvr, because I've tried my old speakers on other recvr's (when I had roommates) and they sounded a lot better than mine. I've been unhappy with it for quite sometime, but now that I got a nice front stage, I want to take advantage of it!

I should be getting a new Onkyo TX-SR804 middle of next week! I helped a friend put together a theater last year with a 503 (or 603... can't quite remember) and was amazed by how great it sounded using Dayton In-wall speakers. I was planning on waiting till hdmi 1.3 hit the market, but who am I kidding. I don't even have any HDMI inputs on my projector and even if I did I'd probably only have one or 2 components, and I'd direct run them anyway.

Anyone else using the 804 with the 360/c25 frontstage? How does it sound?

Damn.. Now I'm impatient again.
axs's Avatar axs 04:34 PM 02-10-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarBlar View Post

Anyone else using the 804 with the 360/c25 frontstage? How does it sound?

They sound quite good with SR504, so I would think it can be only better with SR804.

BTW, don't forget to check out the thread on SR804 in "AMPs, Receivers, and Processors" forum. I remember reading about some humming issue with SR804.
riker1384's Avatar riker1384 05:12 PM 02-10-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post

Can anyone recommend a slim, inexpensive (around $50) surround stand for the 150s? The stands I've seen cost as much or more than the speakers.

The Sanus BF-31B ships for less than $45 on Amazon. I don't know if it's slim enough, but it's decent for the price. There's also a 24-inch version which has a higher capacity just because it's shorter.
HarBlar's Avatar HarBlar 07:01 PM 02-10-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by axs View Post

They sound quite good with SR504, so I would think it can be only better with SR804.

BTW, don't forget to check out the thread on SR804 in "AMPs, Receivers, and Processors" forum. I remember reading about some humming issue with SR804.

I've been looking that thread over a little bit. Biggest issues I've seen are probs with the HDMI, but that seems to be pretty standard across the board from what I've noticed. I was actually only going to get the 674, but I found a silver 804 in the scratch and dent of crutchfield for about $50 less than the 674 and I figured since all my component are in a different room, I don't really care what it looks like and besides, if I'm going to upgrade I might as well do it on the high side of the power band.

Well It turns out someone beat me to it and got the S/D first. My order had already been submitted so I got a call from crutchfield. Anyway, long story short, they said they'd give me a new one instead for $699. That's still $300 off msrp and the same price as th 674... So what the hell? I can't wait to get this and give it a try.
mltv's Avatar mltv 07:25 PM 02-10-2007
Today I hooked up my Primus 150s to an older model receiver (circa early 80's Sony), and the computer/IPod.

Even though I've upgraded my main setup with different speakers, the 150s still make me smile. They sound fantastic in a small 2 channel setup - especially with the older receiver which has a warm sound and helps the 150s out in low frequency range.

Anybody looking for a nice sounding budget 2 channel system for music: I recommend finding some Primus 150s and a used receiver on Ebay. Not a low cost multichannel receiver, I'm talking the old school variety.
axs's Avatar axs 08:23 PM 02-10-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarBlar View Post

I've been looking that thread over a little bit. Biggest issues I've seen are probs with the HDMI, but that seems to be pretty standard across the board from what I've noticed. I was actually only going to get the 674, but I found a silver 804 in the scratch and dent of crutchfield for about $50 less than the 674 and I figured since all my component are in a different room, I don't really care what it looks like and besides, if I'm going to upgrade I might as well do it on the high side of the power band.

Well It turns out someone beat me to it and got the S/D first. My order had already been submitted so I got a call from crutchfield. Anyway, long story short, they said they'd give me a new one instead for $699. That's still $300 off msrp and the same price as th 674... So what the hell? I can't wait to get this and give it a try.

Great. I vaguely remembered reading it in that thread, so I just wanted you to be aware of this issue. All the best.
weatherman98's Avatar weatherman98 02:28 PM 02-11-2007
In case you are wondering (or have been waiting) Crutchfield is out of the 360's and I just ordered the last pair of 160's! I was holding off on the 360's until after the 15th and whammo! the only place that will ship them to an FPO address runs out.

Anyone upgrading to the 362 and want to sell their 360's?
weatherman98's Avatar weatherman98 02:29 PM 02-11-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman98 View Post

In case you are wondering (or have been waiting) Crutchfield is out of the 360's and I just ordered the last pair of 160's! I was holding off on the 360's until after the 15th and whammo! the only place that will ship them to an FPO address runs out.

Anyone upgrading to the 362 and want to sell their 360's?

Correction - they have one single 360 on Scratch and dent. (Not a pair, a single)
HarBlar's Avatar HarBlar 03:49 PM 02-11-2007
Quote:

I just ordered the last pair of 160's!

You were lucky! I nearly grabbed those two 160's yesterday when I ordered my recvr. You're Welcome!
weatherman98's Avatar weatherman98 04:36 AM 02-13-2007
thanks a bunch - the internet sure has made this a small world after all!
HarBlar's Avatar HarBlar 03:36 PM 02-13-2007
So I just got my 804 receiver today and I have been absolutely floored!!! I'm not much of an audiophile and I was expecting some improvement in SQ, but was expecting to hear it more in loudness than anything. this makes me feel a lot better about my recent spending spree, I was having some buyers remorse when they were paired with my old sony recvr. Not any more! I'm really glad I splurged on the recvr now. after hooking it up and running through the auto setup I happened to flip onto a Shelly Lynn concert (or something like that) on HDnet and... and... What can I say? I'm still in shock. The damn thing even makes my cheapy yamahoppers sound decent (using them for the 4 surround channels right now)... Which Reminds me...

Quote:

thanks a bunch - the internet sure has made this a small world after all!

I hope you enjoy those 160's, because I am so Kicking myself for not grabbing them now!

Well... Off to do some more watching with my ears. I'm going to run a couple good DTS movies and I'll post back with my impressions on how it sounded.
mrjinglesusa's Avatar mrjinglesusa 03:46 PM 02-13-2007
Appears Crutchfield still has some 160s in stock. They are showing up as "Low Stock". 360s are indeed sold out - all they have now are 362s.
Beernuts's Avatar Beernuts 08:52 AM 02-14-2007
Ordered a pair of 250's from Crutchfield last night - hopefully they will arrive by Friday.
WormerST's Avatar WormerST 06:53 AM 02-15-2007
Hi all,

Last week I saw an ad for a Infinity Primus II set: 2x 250, 2x 150, 1x C25 and 1xPS8 for 550 euro's. (I live in the Netherlands)

All speakers separate would put me back 1050 euros, so I was amazed with this deal!

I'm only doubting if the PS8 will be good enough. I have a small/medium sized living room for this setup and I'll hook it up to a ONKYO 703 (thanks to the recommendations in this thread!).

In the shop these speakers were set up with a MARANTZ 3001 (i think) which made them sound really high on "highs". This might have been the CD that the sales assistant used, but I bet that this can be filtered out/adjusted by playing with the settings on the amp. right? Because later we listened to a different pair of 250's on a different amp, and this already made a big difference.

I took my girlfriend with me to the shop yesterday to buy the speakers (which is a big no no for most guys probably on here). And she really thought that the speakers were ugly becaused they looked cheap to her, and she didn't liked the sound of them. (!!!) But then the guy in the shop showed her 2 massive 3500 euro each speakers, and she didn't liked the sound of them either, which showed me I would've been better of leaving her home.

Anyway, the shop didn't have a complete set on stock, so I made a reservation and they are going to call me as soon as they come in. Hopefully this will be soon, but as this is a discontinued product I'm a bit anxious.

Should I look for a different sub? I do like bass, but there is no need to shake the whole neighborhood.

Thanks,
Gigapod's Avatar Gigapod 06:50 AM 02-16-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by WormerST View Post

I'm only doubting if the PS8 will be good enough.
Should I look for a different sub?

I suggest you just wait until you have everything setup in your room and have listened to your favorite music pieces/movies to determine if you need a larger/more expensive sub.
Infinity makes larger subs but you can easily spend as much on the sub alone as on all the other speakers together.
The PS8 is good enough for music at reasonable volume levels, it may come a little short on explosions and other SFX in movies but that really depends on your taste and how often you watch that kind of movie.
jerseydevil854's Avatar jerseydevil854 09:50 AM 02-16-2007
Hey Guys! Thanks to every posting information and personal reviews, it helped me out a lot in making a decision. I think ive decided to buy from the Primus series but ever since the new speakers came out (362 etc..) noone has really been bundling the speakers together. Well I just checked on Vanns today and found they are now bundling p252's packages and p362's packages! I was just wondering what you guys thought of these bundles and what you think is the best value, and if you would jump on this now or just wait..

The 252 Bundle (Sorry cant post links yet but all you have to do is go to Vanns and click on the indivitual primus 252 speaker) has 2 different packages just differing in subwoofers. The nicer package is only $50 more.
For $750 you get:
(2) P252's
(2) P142's
(1) PC250
(1) ps-10

The 362 Bundle (Sorry cant post links yet but all you have to do is go to Vanns and click on the indivitual primus 362 speaker) has 2 different packages as well differing in subwoofers. The more expensive package is $100 more.
For $999 you get:
(2) P362's
(2) P152's
(1) PC350
(1) PS-212

I orginally wanted the p152's for the back because of what i read around here but i really just wonderign what you guys think of these packages, which one is the best value in your eyes and why one outweighs another,and if you could pick which one and why would you. Thanks for any help!
HTRMikeD's Avatar HTRMikeD 12:35 PM 02-16-2007
I'm looking into subs for my Primus set. 2x360, c25, 4x150.

Room HxWxD=11x12x14 and 50/50 music movies

So far my list looks like this.

Primus PS-12
BIC-H100
HSU VTF-2 MKII/III

My taxes will be coming back and I'll have enough to get the HSU. Since I can't hear any of these I was wondering if anyone has experience with the listed subs. I'm partial to the HSU but it's downward firing and I live in an apartment and have no desire to get arrested for disturbing the peace. Primus might be better matched but I really don't know and BIC was my first choice because of its price and reviews.

Any comments?

Thx

--Mike
bori's Avatar bori 12:49 PM 02-16-2007
Can someone give me a review of the infinity ps 212 sub. Is is worth the money and does it perform better than the ps-12
calvinlc's Avatar calvinlc 09:24 PM 02-16-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTRMikeD View Post

I'm looking into subs for my Primus set. 2x360, c25, 4x150.

Room HxWxD=11x12x14 and 50/50 music movies

So far my list looks like this.

Primus PS-12
BIC-H100
HSU VTF-2 MKII/III

My taxes will be coming back and I'll have enough to get the HSU. Since I can't hear any of these I was wondering if anyone has experience with the listed subs. I'm partial to the HSU but it's downward firing and I live in an apartment and have no desire to get arrested for disturbing the peace. Primus might be better matched but I really don't know and BIC was my first choice because of its price and reviews.

Any comments?

Thx

--Mike

Truly, Mike, try the JBL Northridge series 12" sub.

The tightness and power of the bass is simply outstanding. I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for JBLs front/surround speakers in this price range (too bright & tinny), but this sub simply kicks butt, especially with the Primus'.

Read the reviews here: http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_289347_2741crx.aspx

On the performance ratings 10 out of 12 reviews give 5 out of 5 and the other two reviews are 4 out of 5, with some pretty good descriptions.

Go to EBAY, item # 260087620823. Sold for $600 at Best Buy....can pick it up now for less than $250.

Also here: http://www.idealav.com/item.aspx?eid=1&pid=78664
jerseydevil854's Avatar jerseydevil854 06:24 PM 02-17-2007
What would you guys suggest for a receiver (preferably less than $500) to drive p362's fronts, p152's backs, pc350, and ps212 sub?? Maybe your top 3 or 4 receiver choices for this setup so i have a few options to look into. And which one is your favorite and why. Thanks!
MunDog's Avatar MunDog 11:50 PM 02-17-2007
My living room where my HT is setup has a very weird open configuration. Down to the bottom line, at the moment my two surrounds are Primus 150s and the are very close to the two sides of the cough as compared to being on a higher level on the wall and at some substantial distance. So I was thinking if I can try some di-poles rather than the two 150s as they are very directional at such a short distance around the center couch. Athena R1.2 or Mirage Nanosat were gathering my attention with the latter having too high a frequency starting point to my liking (I want something of 80hz or little below).
My mains are 360s and center is c25 with BIC H-100 sub . I would prefer a bigger sound field for surrounds and was wondering if anyone is using some affordable dipoles etc??
Would apprecite any input.
pmm8647's Avatar pmm8647 11:00 AM 02-18-2007
Okay, I was looking to upgrade my HTIB speakers from pioneer, when I stumbled on to this thread. After reading about these speakers, I decided to go see if I could find anything on closeout locally so I could hear them. Lo and behold, I found a pair of 250's, a C25, and a PS8. I snatched all of them after a listen.

Here's my issue with the current thread:

My space is small, so taking into consideration my space limitations, I needed to buy a scaled down version of what everyone hear talks about.

I am about to order the last piece of my 5.1 puzzle (rears), and what I havent seen is much about the 140's. Due to my size issues (250's front, PS8 sub, C25 center), I was flabbergasted by the size of the 160's. They would easily topple any of my current stands, and bigger stands just aren't an option.

Have any of you had the oppotunity to use the 140's? I mean, most of you all have deafening 360's, PS12's, and 160's... I gotta tell you, I have been pleasantly surprised at the range in 250's and a PS8 (you can't shake your neighbor's house, but are you really wanting to tick them off?)

What I have now (in my opinion) is a perfect set for an apartment or small living room setup with a Onkyo 604 to push em. What do you think of setting up the 140's as rear speakers in this slightly modified version of the "standard" setup?

Should I be looking for something else?

patrick
HTRMikeD's Avatar HTRMikeD 11:23 AM 02-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmm8647 View Post

Okay, I was looking to upgrade my HTIB speakers from pioneer, when I stumbled on to this thread. After reading about these speakers, I decided to go see if I could find anything on closeout locally so I could hear them. Lo and behold, I found a pair of 250's, a C25, and a PS8. I snatched all of them after a listen.

Here's my issue with the current thread:

My space is small, so taking into consideration my space limitations, I needed to buy a scaled down version of what everyone hear talks about.

I am about to order the last piece of my 5.1 puzzle (rears), and what I havent seen is much about the 140's. Due to my size issues (250's front, PS8 sub, C25 center), I was flabbergasted by the size of the 160's. They would easily topple any of my current stands, and bigger stands just aren't an option.

Have any of you had the oppotunity to use the 140's? I mean, most of you all have deafening 360's, PS12's, and 160's... I gotta tell you, I have been pleasantly surprised at the range in 250's and a PS8 (you can't shake your neighbor's house, but are you really wanting to tick them off?)

What I have now (in my opinion) is a perfect set for an apartment or small living room setup with a Onkyo 604 to push em. What do you think of setting up the 140's as rear speakers in this slightly modified version of the "standard" setup?

Should I be looking for something else?

patrick

What's the size of the living room? mines is 12x14x11(h) and totally closed. I've got 360s and 150s and could have easily gone with all 150s with a sub. In fact i tested this out since i have 4 150s and it's pretty damn good wih my 604 as well.

I think the 140s will be fine. Infinity sells a HT setup and it is all 140s, a center, and the 10 sub. If they think its fine then I guess it would be ok for your situation. I personally like the 150s and the driver size is the same as the 250s. It's more important that the front stage is tonally matched and yours already is, so the rears aren't all that big a deal.

If you're happy with the performance of what you call scaled down then by all means get the 140s. BTW it's not really scaled down. Different models are designed for varying purposes and it sounds like the 250 meet you purpose.

--Mike
pmm8647's Avatar pmm8647 12:33 PM 02-18-2007
My room is 15long x 12wide x 8high but it has one wall that is wide open to to kitchen. I think my primary problem is that I can't get sturdier stands for the 150's or 160's because of the size of the sectional. I went ahead and purchased some 140's from Crutchfield after reading your response.

Do you feel that I will be missing out on any specific ranges with the 250's, 140's, c25, and PS8? The receiver is capable of 7.1, but I got no place to put the right and left speakers.

Thanks for your replies.

patrick
HTRMikeD's Avatar HTRMikeD 01:24 PM 02-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmm8647 View Post

My room is 15long x 12wide x 8high but it has one wall that is wide open to to kitchen. I think my primary problem is that I can't get sturdier stands for the 150's or 160's because of the size of the sectional. I went ahead and purchased some 140's from Crutchfield after reading your response.

Do you feel that I will be missing out on any specific ranges with the 250's, 140's, c25, and PS8? The receiver is capable of 7.1, but I got no place to put the right and left speakers.

Thanks for your replies.

patrick

I struggled over the whole "range" thing for a while myself. Like you I came from a crappy system to this. I tried to future proof as much as possible but it;s usless unless you got big dollars and even then there always something around the corner. I can say I'm more than impressed with what i ended up with even tho' I'm still using my crappy sub...I'll replace it in due course. I like bass so I would have gotten a bigger sub. Right now I've got a 10" 100w yamaha that goes down to 38hz that I sure the Infinty ps-8 beats up on it. I'm happy with it for music (it gets boomy at times) but want more for movies.

For my taste and from what I've learned so far, I want a sub that gets down to 25hz with power and carity. I'm looking into the BIC-H100, JBL E250P for less than 300 shipped and I have my eye on the HSU VTF-2...It's pricy but I'll see as time goes on. You don't have to stay with the same brand for the sub it really matters most on the front.

Crutchfield is a great company. If the 140s don't cut it because of the open area or because of your ears return it and get 150s. If the bass is missing a bit then maybe you could return the 8 and get a bigger sub...providing it's within your budget and keep the 140s.

With the open area I would definatley get a bigger sub but in the end it's all about how it sounds to YOU.

The 150s are 12(h)x7(w)x10(d) and I think 13 lbs so finding stands ain't really a problem. A page or 2 back in the thread are a few dicussion regarding stands that go for about 50-70 a pair that do work with 150s. I agree that the 160s shoudn't be classified as a book shelf!

Hope this helps
--Mike
jerseydevil854's Avatar jerseydevil854 05:44 PM 02-18-2007
Hey guys i just went buy Sound Advice and picked up the Yamaha RX-V1500 on clearance for $379. What do you guys think of my deal and this receiver powering my Primus series?
merkord's Avatar merkord 11:09 PM 02-18-2007
I am reading such good things about the C25, but how does it match up with the PC250. On Vanns website the PC250 center channel is about 90 dollars more. Just want to know if this is worth it...
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop