Infinity Primus Owner's Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #721 of 3963 Old 03-21-2007, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does anyone know if the new PC350 timbre would match a pair of 150's i currently have.

Can any new PC 350 owners compare the speaker to the C25. I'm curious as to sound quality the mid's add over all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3963 Old 03-21-2007, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augmont View Post

Does anyone know if the new PC350 timbre would match a pair of 150's i currently have.

Can any new PC 350 owners compare the speaker to the C25. I'm curious as to sound quality the mid's add over all.

I sent you a pm and answered your question. Hope that helps you out. From my own understanding the PC350 is fully timbre matched to your 150's or any other Primus speaker(s). Hence, the changes were mainly cosmetic as well as a few minor changes in the design of the X-overs. In other words, the 150's and the PC350 would be fully voice matched.

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
post #723 of 3963 Old 03-23-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder View Post

What are you going to go for?

Modding my speakers, as I was asking about.
post #724 of 3963 Old 03-23-2007, 10:18 PM

What is the SPL (sound pressure level) response with respect to
frequency of the Primus speakers supposed to be, specifically, the
frequency sweeps on the Avia DVD?

I was just doing a quick sanity check today to make sure my new
speakers are not haywire before my return period runs out. I was
using the digital RS (Radio Shack) meter (with mode C and slow
response). None of the speakers seemed especially stable through the
sweep. The SPL would vary by 5 to 10 dB locally, and more over the
whole sweep down to about 45 Hz. Maybe that is normal. (Obviously,
the SPL drops off <= 40 Hz). But the SPL on one of my P362's dropped
dramatically at 100 HZ, and then rose back up before dopping off at 45
Hz.

Since many people suggest setting your crossover to 80 Hz, I would
think this behavior of my one P362 is not with design limits. (I
have, by the way, been having some trouble integrating my subwoofer
smoothly.)

Well ... I only have a couple of days left, so any speedy response
would be useful. Again, I would love to hear from anybody with
professional speaker engineering experience. (plhart, you there? :-) )
post #725 of 3963 Old 03-23-2007, 11:50 PM
T2k

Liked: 11
OK, I just pulled the trigger and ordered 4 new 150s for $239.52 shipped from EE... found a Beta C50 for $140 soI might will order that instead of the $100 Primus C25...

However does it make sense to pay almost twice as much to go from 250->360 fronts?
post #726 of 3963 Old 03-24-2007, 11:07 AM
T2k

Bump
post #727 of 3963 Old 03-24-2007, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

OK, I just pulled the trigger and ordered 4 new 150s for $239.52 shipped from EE... found a Beta C50 for $140 soI might will order that instead of the $100 Primus C25...

However does it make sense to pay almost twice as much to go from 250->360 fronts?

Hi T2k,
Check my comparison Primus 250's vs. 360's a few pages back in this same thread. Placed in exactly the same position and driven at exactly the same volume setting, I found there was little difference between them when playing classical music or Jazz - I couldn't tell which speakers were playing. The 250's cut out around 39Hz at the low end, the 360's around 32Hz. When playing pure tones it seems the 360's has better cabinet resonance control than the 250's, but I wouldn't swear by that either.

I already had the 250's when I bough the 360's on a special offer, so the 360's only cost me about 10% more than the 250's (I had to wait nearly two months for delivery...). Having tested them, I would never pay twice as much for the 360's as for the 250's, rather I would spend the difference on a better subwoofer.
post #728 of 3963 Old 03-25-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:

The front stage needs to be matched. The Beta may be a better speaker but is it matched tonally to the Primus? I don't think it is but different people have different tastes. Just for kicks I moved my 150 rear surrounds to the front and disconnected my 306s using them as $300 speaker stands reducing to 5.1 and it still sounds damn good. I've got a HSU stf-2 so I think the sub helps a lot. For movies I prefer the 7.1 with the 360s tho'

I would think the 250s would sound better than this and about as good as the 360s but I never heard the 250s. For highs and mids I've read there is no difference between the two but when the bass kicks in the 360s do much better job because of the larger woofer and it's a 3-way speaker.

Does it make sense to pay twice as much for the 360s when you have budget constraints? IMO no. Roll the money into a good sub.

I'd set up the 150s with the c25 with a sub and see how that tastes.

BTW $240 for 4 150s is a steal!

--Mike
post #729 of 3963 Old 03-25-2007, 08:15 PM
T2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigapod View Post

Hi T2k,
Check my comparison Primus 250's vs. 360's a few pages back in this same thread. Placed in exactly the same position and driven at exactly the same volume setting, I found there was little difference between them when playing classical music or Jazz - I couldn't tell which speakers were playing. The 250's cut out around 39Hz at the low end, the 360's around 32Hz. When playing pure tones it seems the 360's has better cabinet resonance control than the 250's, but I wouldn't swear by that either.

I already had the 250's when I bough the 360's on a special offer, so the 360's only cost me about 10% more than the 250's (I had to wait nearly two months for delivery...). Having tested them, I would never pay twice as much for the 360's as for the 250's, rather I would spend the difference on a better subwoofer.

Excellent, just what I neededd, an actual comparison - thank you.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking about, spending what I save on going with 250s on a better sub - ie getting the PS-10 instead of the old PS_8 I originally intended to get... BTW do you have any particularly recommended sub in mind?
post #730 of 3963 Old 03-25-2007, 08:22 PM
T2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTRMikeD View Post

The front stage needs to be matched. The Beta may be a better speaker but is it matched tonally to the Primus? I don't think it is but different people have different tastes. Just for kicks I moved my 150 rear surrounds to the front and disconnected my 306s using them as $300 speaker stands reducing to 5.1 and it still sounds damn good. I've got a HSU stf-2 so I think the sub helps a lot. For movies I prefer the 7.1 with the 360s tho'

I didn't think about tonal difference, thanks for reminding me... I guess in limited budget situation and for a small brownstone living room like mine it wouldn't make sense to spend more on the Beta center...

Quote:

I would think the 250s would sound better than this and about as good as the 360s but I never heard the 250s. For highs and mids I've read there is no difference between the two but when the bass kicks in the 360s do much better job because of the larger woofer and it's a 3-way speaker.

Does it make sense to pay twice as much for the 360s when you have budget constraints? IMO no. Roll the money into a good sub.

I'd set up the 150s with the c25 with a sub and see how that tastes.

Yep, I agree, that's what I'm going to do. Now I just have to find a good sub, 250s can wait a few more weeks... how about the PS-10? It's not that crazy powerful - 250W - but still more than PS-8 was and it's still pretty cheap...

Quote:

BTW $240 for 4 150s is a steal!

--Mike

Well, it has to be shipped yet.... but yes, that's what I realized afterwards, when I read some posts here.
post #731 of 3963 Old 03-26-2007, 11:28 AM

Does anyone have the Infinity Primus PC350 yet? If so how does it compare to the older model?
post #732 of 3963 Old 03-26-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finiscient View Post

But the SPL on one of my P362's dropped
dramatically at 100 HZ, and then rose back up before d[r]opping off at 45
Hz.

smoothly.)

... I would love to hear from anybody with
professional speaker engineering experience.

Bump. Anybody? plhart, you still hangin' aroung?
post #733 of 3963 Old 03-26-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Yep, I agree, that's what I'm going to do. Now I just have to find a good sub, 250s can wait a few more weeks... how about the PS-10? It's not that crazy powerful - 250W - but still more than PS-8 was and it's still pretty cheap...

Infinity makes great speakers so I would think that extends to the sub. I don't own one but was going to get one but went with HSU because the PS12 was MIA at discounted prices. I went with a stf-2 for $350 shipped It only has a 200w amp and is rated for room 3000 cubic feet. and is more than adequate for my 1800 cubic room.

As luck would have it the next week they were back in stock at discounted prices. if the price below was availiable when i ordered I would have gotten it.

Here is a link for the Infinity PS 12 for 259 shipping is about $40.

http://www.theaudiovideosource.com/2PoweredSubCat.html

It really depends on the size of the room and if is fully closed or not. A 10"sub is enough for my space. If you want to watch movies i would suggest you get a sub that can go down to 25hz with authority...that means loud and deep.

The ps10 gets to 27hz and the 12 to 25hz. Is the extra 2hz worth the extra cash? Depends on your budget but if the subs are as good as the rest of the line then the ps 10 will do just fine in a medium sized room.

If you go to the SubWoofer section everyone will say BIC H-100 for about 250 or so shipped and they will suggest HSU or SVS. Another choice is the JBL venue 12" sub. for aout 250 shipped from amazon if you have Amazon Prime. It was recommended to me but a coin toss took it out...true story.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

Here is a link to a face off with SVS, Velodyne, PS12 and a JBL 10"

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-subwoofers/313-face-off-svs-pb10-isd-takes-few-contenders.html

Considering everyone thinks SVS, Velodyne aned HSU can "walk on water" the Infinty held its own quite well in the review. Keep inmind this guy is hard core and most of us only want good sound and a good price.

--Mike
post #734 of 3963 Old 03-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

I have the PS-10. It's a great sub for small to medium size rooms. I can't even turn up the sub to full volume in movies with lots of LFEs.
post #735 of 3963 Old 03-26-2007, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman_13 View Post

Does anyone have the Infinity Primus PC350 yet? If so how does it compare to the older model?

Hello there I have the new PC350 that replaced my C25. To be honest, I do NOT really notice that much of a difference so far. However, it is only fair to mention that I am completely redoing my set-up. I have moved my C25 and put it up above my seating position as my couch is up against my rear wall. Thus, the C25 is up about a foot higher than both of my surrounds (150's). In fact, I dont really have everything wired just yet as I am still waiting for my order from MonoPrice.com to get here. My plans are to run 12 gauge speaker wire to my rear speakers comprising a 6.1. Just dont have the room for 7.1 and truthfully doing 6.1 is really pushing it. Hope to have it all done and fully calibrated very soon as I now have the Avia disk as well as the Rives cd. But to answer your question there really is not that much of a difference from what I can tell. Maybe a bit more dialogue intelligibility and perhaps a bit more dynamic capability but there is NOT a "night" and "day" difference. Once everything is fully calibrated I will spend more time trying to discern just how much, if any, the PC350 is. Will keep everyone posted. Hope this helps.

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
post #736 of 3963 Old 03-26-2007, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Excellent, just what I neededd, an actual comparison - thank you.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking about, spending what I save on going with 250s on a better sub - ie getting the PS-10 instead of the old PS_8 I originally intended to get... BTW do you have any particularly recommended sub in mind?

Hey, just wanted to mention that I recently got a B-stock SVS PB10-NSD and all I can say is "WOW". I have looked the cabinet over very well and can NOT find much wrong w/it. I am still amazed that a 10" powered sub can perform like it does. In fact, it will embarress many 12" subs out there on the market. Even at full price the PB10-NSD truly is a bargain. Good luck in your decision. Just trying to help you out.

post #737 of 3963 Old 03-27-2007, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finiscient View Post

I was just doing a quick sanity check today to make sure my new
speakers are not haywire before my return period runs out. I was
using the digital RS (Radio Shack) meter (with mode C and slow
response). None of the speakers seemed especially stable through the
sweep. The SPL would vary by 5 to 10 dB locally, and more over the
whole sweep down to about 45 Hz. Maybe that is normal. (Obviously,
the SPL drops off <= 40 Hz). But the SPL on one of my P362's dropped
dramatically at 100 HZ, and then rose back up before dopping off at 45
Hz.

smoothly.)

Well ... I only have a couple of days left, so any speedy response
would be useful. Again, I would love to hear from anybody with
professional speaker engineering experience. (plhart, you there? :-) )

Your Radio Shack meter is measuring speaker and room response. A speaker's frequency response is usually measured most accurately in an anechoic chamber or outside and up in the air, away from any boundaries.
post #738 of 3963 Old 03-27-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plhart View Post

Your Radio Shack meter is measuring speaker and room response. A speaker's frequency response is usually measured most accurately in an anechoic chamber or outside and up in the air, away from any boundaries.

Okay. I thought it could be room response (or maybe something else that I might be missing, as I'm relatively new to this stuff). And I was thinking that I should research it more myself, but I wasn't sure if I could really figure it out myself. I was really so surprised by the big difference between the two speakers.

Anyway, it helps to hear it from an expert. Thanks.
post #739 of 3963 Old 03-30-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjinglesusa View Post

Just received my 160s today. Damn! These are a lot bigger than I thought they would be. Can't even wall mount them. I guess I need to keep an eye out for stands (they are for my surrounds).

On that note, anyone have (or known of) stands that will a) fit these and b) look nice?

Try Toggler's Hollow-Wall Heavy Anchors if you still interested in wall mounting them. They support 256 lbs. I use them in my profession as a facilities manager.
post #740 of 3963 Old 03-31-2007, 08:05 AM

Hi folks.. I'm a long time reader of this forum but posting for the first time. I have been following Primus thread for past couple of months. I just bought this setup for my HD projector in the basement. P362's, PC350, P162's, P212 and RX-V1600 to drive them . I'll let you folks know my experience when they arrive next week. Thanks !
post #741 of 3963 Old 03-31-2007, 07:22 PM

Hello everyone....
I have my 362 fronts, 350 center and 152 rears all hooked up and sounding good.... wasn't planning to add the sides until a little later. Just ran onto a good deal on a couple of 142's and decided to go ahead and get them. I'm now wondering how they will work as surrounds with the rest of my setup? Should I have another set of 152's or will these be just as good? Going to wall mount and needed the smaller package.
As always.....THANKS!!!!
post #742 of 3963 Old 03-31-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilly2 View Post

Hello everyone....
I have my 362 fronts, 350 center and 152 rears all hooked up and sounding good.... wasn't planning to add the sides until a little later. Just ran onto a good deal on a couple of 142's and decided to go ahead and get them. I'm now wondering how they will work as surrounds with the rest of my setup? Should I have another set of 152's or will these be just as good? Going to wall mount and needed the smaller package.
As always.....THANKS!!!!

If it's all Primus it's All Good!...I would put the 142s in the back and put the 152s on the sides. I have the 360s up front with the 150s as all 4 surrounds and I think they are wasted in the back. The 150/2s are great as mains and i run them in a 5.1 right now with my 360s as expensive speaker stands so i think the 142s will be more than adequate for the rear surrounds.

--Mike
post #743 of 3963 Old 04-02-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:

If it's all Primus it's All Good!...I would put the 142s in the back and put the 152s on the sides. I have the 360s up front with the 150s as all 4 surrounds and I think they are wasted in the back. The 150/2s are great as mains and i run them in a 5.1 right now with my 360s as expensive speaker stands so i think the 142s will be more than adequate for the rear surrounds.

--Mike

Mike,

not really wanting to put you on the spot but would you recommend not upgrading to 360's for a HT if one is currently using 150's as mains? If so can you please give your opinion as to why.

I have this mind set that i need to upgrade to 360 for fronts to give me a richer, deeper sound for my HT. I do plan on upgrading my sub (mostly likely a HSU sub) sometime down the road.

If anybody else would like to give their "IMO", that would be super.
post #744 of 3963 Old 04-02-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Mike,

not really wanting to put you on the spot but would you recommend not upgrading to 360's for a HT if one is currently using 150's as mains? If so can you please give your opinion as to why.

I have this mind set that i need to upgrade to 360 for fronts to give me a richer, deeper sound for my HT. I do plan on upgrading my sub (mostly likely a HSU sub) sometime down the road.

If anybody else would like to give their "IMO", that would be super.

I can think of one reason not to get the 360s in a HT set up...small room. Oh, one more, MONEY...but that can be overcome. I happen to have a room that is big enough for the 360s but not to big for the 150s...so I play around a bit. I have my surrounds 2-3 db HOT with the 360s but not so when I have the 150s up front. So if your room is small they'll just dominate

For HT I definitely prefer the 360s up front. The sound is just bigger, I get more bass, and thats what I want for HT. BUT, the 2 most important speakers in a HT setup it the sub and the center. I had a cheap sub and the 360s just overwhelmed it so a good sub is important.

The reason why I moved the 150s to the front was because as rears in my 7.1 I felt they were being wasted and I wanted to USE them. They are really amazing in 5.1 with my HSU so there they sit for a while. Actually, having the 360s increased my appreciation for the 150s because in a lot of cases the 150 setup performed as well as the 360 setup. Also, my room is small/medium 12x14x9 and totally closed so the 150s can rock HT. Since they sit on the 360s everyone thinks the 360s are playing! In a bigger room or one that is open the 360s will perform better than the 150s

The 360s are just better in all the ways you describe and they can preform on their own w/o a sub...I often do this at nite with DIRECT mode on the receiver.

If your just wanting more from the front stage and fuller, deeper, bigger sound then the 360s will give it to you.

I think what it comes down to is question of money. If you can find a pair of 360s at the discounted price I buy without hesitation. The 362s look like they're going for 600/pair shipped and at that price I'd buy a really good sub FIRST because there IMO there no point to getting the 360s if yo sub can't do them justice. It really depends on how much you have to spend and what you already have.

What do you have set up now? which sub?

Hope this helps

--Mike
post #745 of 3963 Old 04-02-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:

I can think of one reason not to get the 360s in a HT set up...small room. Oh, one more, MONEY...but that can be overcome. I happen to have a room that is big enough for the 360s but not to big for the 150s...so I play around a bit. I have my surrounds 2-3 db HOT with the 360s but not so when I have the 150s up front. So if your room is small they'll just dominate

For HT I definitely prefer the 360s up front. The sound is just bigger, I get more bass, and thats what I want for HT. BUT, the 2 most important speakers in a HT setup it the sub and the center. I had a cheap sub and the 360s just overwhelmed it so a good sub is important.

The reason why I moved the 150s to the front was because as rears in my 7.1 I felt they were being wasted and I wanted to USE them. They are really amazing in 5.1 with my HSU so there they sit for a while. Actually, having the 360s increased my appreciation for the 150s because in a lot of cases the 150 setup performed as well as the 360 setup. Also, my room is small/medium 12x14x9 and totally closed so the 150s can rock HT. Since they sit on the 360s everyone thinks the 360s are playing! In a bigger room or one that is open the 360s will perform better than the 150s

The 360s are just better in all the ways you describe and they can preform on their own w/o a sub...I often do this at nite with DIRECT mode on the receiver.

If your just wanting more from the front stage and fuller, deeper, bigger sound then the 360s will give it to you.

I think what it comes down to is question of money. If you can find a pair of 360s at the discounted price I buy without hesitation. The 362s look like they're going for 600/pair shipped and at that price I'd buy a really good sub FIRST because there IMO there no point to getting the 360s if yo sub can't do them justice. It really depends on how much you have to spend and what you already have.

Hope this helps

--Mike

Mike,

What you said is exactly what I wanted to hear. My room is large and open and sounds like the 360's will fill it in nicely from what you describe.

I have a 7.1 setup and i started a$$ backwards. I was greatly desiring a .1 setup to move up from my dolby pro logic setup and a friend recommend the Onkyo 7.1 as a decent entry setup. Long story short, loved the receiver but hated the speakers that came with them. so after doing some research and knowing what my budget was, i choose the Primus line as my choice of speakers. Little did i know that the line was being cosmetically changed.

I have a HTIB Onkyo sub and I know that it is my weakest link. The reason why i pushing for a pair of 360's (new or used) is 1.) cause of my investment in a pair of 150's and c25 center, 2. ) knowing that the 360's are discontinued and are very, very hard to come by lately, 3.) to maintain the "timbre" match with my center speaker, 4.) I know I could upgrade my sub at any time without negatively effecting my setup and budget, and most important 5.) the new 362's did not pass the "WAF".

P.S. If the 150's were being wasted as rears in your 7.1 setup, would you think 140's are better suited?
post #746 of 3963 Old 04-03-2007, 11:47 PM

Quote:

Mike,

What you said is exactly what I wanted to hear. My room is large and open and sounds like the 360's will fill it in nicely from what you describe.

I have a 7.1 setup and i started a$$ backwards. I was greatly desiring a .1 setup to move up from my dolby pro logic setup and a friend recommend the Onkyo 7.1 as a decent entry setup. Long story short, loved the receiver but hated the speakers that came with them. so after doing some research and knowing what my budget was, i choose the Primus line as my choice of speakers. Little did i know that the line was being cosmetically changed.

I have a HTIB Onkyo sub and I know that it is my weakest link. The reason why i pushing for a pair of 360's (new or used) is 1.) cause of my investment in a pair of 150's and c25 center, 2. ) knowing that the 360's are discontinued and are very, very hard to come by lately, 3.) to maintain the "timbre" match with my center speaker, 4.) I know I could upgrade my sub at any time without negatively effecting my setup and budget, and most important 5.) the new 362's did not pass the "WAF".

P.S. If the 150's were being wasted as rears in your 7.1 setup, would you think 140's are better suited?

I happen to be on amazon and saw they were selling 362s for 150 each thru electronics Expo but the shipping is 80 bucks per speaker

Call this place:
www.theaudiovideosource.com

They have great prices on Infinty and are an authorzed seller of referbs that carry Infinty's full mfg warrenty. Their site says they are all out but I'd give them a phone call.

7.1 doesn't really exist because it's derived from 5.1 in the same way that 5.1 can be derived from stereo via PLx...hd-dvd and bluray may change that but I'm really not up on those formats. This is the reason I felt they were wasted...they are really good speakers and they just weren't being utilized to their full potential because surrounds are really for effects with some exceptions...all channel stereo comes to mind...Star Wars series really works the surrounds as well as a few others so the better the surrounds the better the experience in those cases.

7.1 does make a difference watching movies and in my experience when the volumes go higher it gets better. Some like seemlessness, being "enveloped" and not really being "aware" of the back per say but personally...I spent the loot so I want to KNOW they are there.

So yes, if I was doing it all over again with prices being the way they are, I would get 140s for the rear surrounds and save some $$$. You could put the best pair of the old speakers as surrouds in the interum...you may like it and save even more to spend on the front stage ad sub. Other folks have different opinions regarding surrounds. The other side of the coin is that if you could still get 150s for 55 each then I'd go for it because crutchfields is selling 140s at 50 each.

--Mike
post #747 of 3963 Old 04-05-2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:

Hope this helps

--Mike

I agree with most of what Mike said here. What I will add is that my room (20 x 16 x 9) really does better with the 360's than the 150's. I first got 150's for my surrounds and I was not ready to fork over the money to replace my fronts (Old Infinity SM102's 10" 2-way). When I got the 150's I tried them in place of the SM102's and it was lacking the authority I needed to phase into my JBL 12" sub. In a smaller room probably not as noticeable. BUT, what I liked about the 150's over the old SM102's was the clarity of the vocals and the definition of the sound...they were head and shoulders better. Then along came the 362's that drove the prices of the 360's through the floor and so I couldn't resist a set of 360's for $300 including shipping. The 150's are great speakers...the 360's are unbelievable...think of everything the 150 does just better and more of it. I have to commend Infinity for a speaker series design that rivals anything within 300% of its price range. So now I have the 360's, C25, and 150's for surrounds, along with the JBL sub. DVD Audio and SACDs are just astounding.
post #748 of 3963 Old 04-06-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinlc View Post

I agree with most of what Mike said here. What I will add is that my room (20 x 16 x 9) really does better with the 360's than the 150's. I first got 150's for my surrounds and I was not ready to fork over the money to replace my fronts (Old Infinity SM102's 10" 2-way). When I got the 150's I tried them in place of the SM102's and it was lacking the authority I needed to phase into my JBL 12" sub. In a smaller room probably not as noticeable. BUT, what I liked about the 150's over the old SM102's was the clarity of the vocals and the definition of the sound...they were head and shoulders better. Then along came the 362's that drove the prices of the 360's through the floor and so I couldn't resist a set of 360's for $300 including shipping. The 150's are great speakers...the 360's are unbelievable...think of everything the 150 does just better and more of it. I have to commend Infinity for a speaker series design that rivals anything within 300% of its price range. So now I have the 360's, C25, and 150's for surrounds, along with the JBL sub. DVD Audio and SACDs are just astounding.

I'll decided to get the 360's (crossing fingers guy doesn't back out today). I'll end up (like Calvin) with 360's, 150's, and C25. I actually bought three 360's but i'll be selling one of them, possible on Ebay. Long story.

Mike and Calvin - what are your speaker sittings on your AV reciever (i.e large or small speaker size, crossover, etc.)? I have an Onkyo receiver and the manual says to set the speaker size to large and the cross over at 80. Just wondering what you found best. My sub isn't great but i won't be replacing it until next year.
post #749 of 3963 Old 04-06-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:

I'll decided to get the 360's (crossing fingers guy doesn't back out today). I'll end up (like Calvin) with 360's, 150's, and C25. I actually bought three 360's but i'll be selling one of them, possible on Ebay. Long story.

Mike and Calvin - what are your speaker sittings on your AV reciever (i.e large or small speaker size, crossover, etc.)? I have an Onkyo receiver and the manual says to set the speaker size to large and the cross over at 80. Just wondering what you found best. My sub isn't great but i won't be replacing it until next year.

Technically your not supposed to have speakers fronts set to large and sub on because the fronts get full range (what Onkyo calls it) of frequency and the front just cant handle LFE. The fear is that they might damage the speakers struggling with frequencies it just can't accommodate...a driver being forced to do things it cannot.

In practice very little music goes below 30hz and FM radio simply doesn't broadcast anything below 30hz (I think) so with the 360s (32hz) it shouldn't be a problem. I've done it, contrary to what is "safe", when I listened to music with my old cheap sub. I've got a better one so i don't do it now. HT is a different story...I would never have the front at full range during movies.

Onkyo sets any speaker that can go below 80hz to Full Range (large) when audessey sets up and you should change that to the standard starting point of 80hz for everything including the sub. Change it from there if you wish but Onkyo 604 doesn't allow you to set x-over below 80 for the sub.

--Mike
post #750 of 3963 Old 04-06-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:

Technically your not supposed to have speakers fronts set to large and sub on because the fronts get full range (what Onkyo calls it) of frequency and the front just cant handle LFE. The fear is that they might damage the speakers struggling with frequencies it just can't accommodate...a driver being forced to do things it cannot.

In practice very little music goes below 30hz and FM radio simply doesn't broadcast anything below 30hz (I think) so with the 360s (32hz) it shouldn't be a problem. I've done it, contrary to what is "safe", when I listened to music with my old cheap sub. I've got a better one so i don't do it now. HT is a different story...I would never have the front at full range during movies.

Onkyo sets any speaker that can go below 80hz to Full Range (large) when audessey sets up and you should change that to the standard starting point of 80hz for everything including the sub. Change it from there if you wish but Onkyo 604 doesn't allow you to set x-over below 80 for the sub.

--Mike

mike - what's "audessey"? I'm struggling with that word.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page