post #811 of 3963 Old 04-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowelShaker View Post

You betchya! Where abouts Middle TN are you? Just curious. :-)

on the edge of the Boro & Smyrna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3963 Old 04-28-2007, 12:37 AM

Sweet, I'm right in the middle of the Boro!

Now, to make this a post worthy of the Primus Owners Thread...what is the max gauge wire the 360's can handle? Also, can they take banana plugs and if so, is it even worth the $$$ for them? Thanks!
post #813 of 3963 Old 04-28-2007, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sweet, I'm right in the middle of the Boro!

Now, to make this a post worthy of the Primus Owners Thread...what is the max gauge wire the 360's can handle? Also, can they take banana plugs and if so, is it even worth the $$$ for them? Thanks!

Not sure of the max gauge but yes they can take banana plugs. The plugs are more of a convieniance thing really.
post #814 of 3963 Old 04-28-2007, 09:38 AM

May as well add my 2 cents. have 2 150's for fronts with a c25 center. got an old velodyne sub and some jbl's for rears. I'm using them with an HK 430. I'm pretty happy with the Primus.

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne
post #815 of 3963 Old 04-28-2007, 07:24 PM

If we are unsure of the max gauge wire they can handle, any suggestions of what would be good to run, i'm thinking just bare wire on the speaker posts and then b. plugs for the receiver end. Was thinking 12 AWG wire but did not know if that woul dbe too big or not.
post #816 of 3963 Old 04-28-2007, 07:52 PM
axs
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If we are unsure of the max gauge wire they can handle, any suggestions of what would be good to run, i'm thinking just bare wire on the speaker posts and then b. plugs for the receiver end. Was thinking 12 AWG wire but did not know if that woul dbe too big or not.

I am now using 14 gauge with 360s, but you can use 12 gauge wire with 360s too. It is not an issue at all.
post #817 of 3963 Old 04-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I used 16ga cable on my Primuses. No difference if you use 12ga or any thicker ga unless youre running a lot of watts with high current (which i doubt) or the speakers are 100 feet away. There are no tangible benefits of using thicker gauges on these speakers except the benefit of fulfilling your ego.
post #818 of 3963 Old 04-28-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboroth00 View Post

There are no tangible benefits of using thicker gauges on these speakers except the benefit of fulfilling your ego.

Uh... or because you like sturdier wiring. Or then you don't have to rewire everything if you upgrade to more powerful speakers/receiver. But ya know, must just be my ego.
post #819 of 3963 Old 04-29-2007, 10:35 AM

Hehe, alrighty, thanks for the info/input guys, always helpful.
post #820 of 3963 Old 04-29-2007, 06:33 PM

HI all. I just got a new set of Primus speakers and had a question on some of the settings for em. Here is what I have:

2x P362's up front.
PC350 center
2x p152's in the rear
PS212 sub.

Powering it I have a Yamaha RX-V1500.

After messing around with them for a few days I must say that I'm really pleased with them. After reading through most of this thread I'm still a little confused by a few things so hopefully someone can clear them up.

I ran the automatic configuration and made some adjustments after it was completed (crossover set at 80, all speakers set to small (the 362s should be set as this also, right)). One thing I'm unsure of, however, is how to set the bass management. I have options for sub only, fronts only, or both. Is there a preferred way to set this? I've done some a/b switching between sub only and mixed and the sound is pretty similar (maybe a little cleaner on sub only, but it's really close)

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

XboxLive GT: Kidar
post #821 of 3963 Old 04-29-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rassilon View Post

HI all. I just got a new set of Primus speakers and had a question on some of the settings for em. Here is what I have:

2x P362's up front.
PC350 center
2x p152's in the rear
PS212 sub.

Powering it I have a Yamaha RX-V1500.

After messing around with them for a few days I must say that I'm really pleased with them. After reading through most of this thread I'm still a little confused by a few things so hopefully someone can clear them up.

I ran the automatic configuration and made some adjustments after it was completed (crossover set at 80, all speakers set to small (the 362s should be set as this also, right)). One thing I'm unsure of, however, is how to set the bass management. I have options for sub only, fronts only, or both. Is there a preferred way to set this? I've done some a/b switching between sub only and mixed and the sound is pretty similar (maybe a little cleaner on sub only, but it's really close)

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

I've got my 360s crossed over at 60hz and the sub at 80 because the AVR doesn't allow me to set the sub lower than 80hz. I'm not familiar with your AVR but you should have fronts and sub going...just make sure that the fronts are crossed-over. What you don't want is a "double-bass" effect where the fronts get the full-frequency and the sub gets the LFE.

Put simply: If you can cross-over the fronts and the sub to 80 and they both play then your good to go.

With music I've found the 360s to be able to go it alone w/o a sub but with the sub there is a fullness of bass in the room.

--Mike
post #822 of 3963 Old 04-30-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augmont View Post

I have had my 360's for a about a week and I'm very happy with them. They filled my room the way i expected and after watching a few movies it makes the experience just that much better.

I have yet to hook up my 150's as rear as I'm still negotiating with my wife on the final locations. I have smaller surrounds up but the size of the 150's haven't passed the WAF.

As its been said before, big props to the 150's. I appreciated my 150's alot more after upgrading. i'd be bummed if i had to go back to them but because they are so good, my sadness wouldn't last too long.

One final note, if you don't have a good sub like me, the 360's will make you want to upgrade sooner than later. I can't wait until i replace my sub to match with the Primus'. i know it's only going to make my HT that much better.

Dude...I Know what you mean. I had a Yamaha sub and it just got overwhelmed by the 360s. I took to plunge and went with an HSU STF2 for 350, but after hearing a friend with a Infinity 12" I think I would have been happy with that also. In fact i got the HSU because I figured that for 350 I should get the HSU over an Infinity. Well, all I can say is after hearing the 12" Infinity, it can do justice so if you can get it at a good price...<300 then i would go for it.

There are a lot of HSU and SVS fans on this site and the subs are well worth the money but they aren't the only game in town.

--Mike
post #823 of 3963 Old 05-01-2007, 08:42 AM

w00t, just picked me up a pair of Primus 150's yesterday, clearance floor models for a little over 100 for the pair! I'm pretty sure I got a good deal on them too, now just to find me a center chnl and I'll have a nice 5.1 set up!

I had a friend that had the PS10 or 12, cannot remember which (pretty sure the 10), but he found it was not enough for his room and liking so he upgraded to a Velodyne DLS-5000R. I figured I would skick the step of upgrading in the anywhere near future, so I just went ahead and got the Velodyne; great sub, more expensive, but that's a given. I am interested in seeing how well the Primus' stay with the Velodyne; I think they'll do great.

So now I just sit and wait in anticipation for all the other pieces to come. I have a receiver in route from vanns and then all my cables/plugs/adapters coming from monoprice...can't wait till they come and I can hook this all up and watch some movies on the projector!
post #824 of 3963 Old 05-02-2007, 09:24 AM

Liked: 11
After 4 mos of owning Primus speakers, I am happy with both the product and the service.

I bought an Onkyo 604, a pair of 360's, and a C25, followed by 4 160's to act as my surrounds and rear surrounds. All this was at the low-low closeout prices that we were seeing in January. I figured that that should keep me entertained while I contemplated subwoofer options.

About 2 weeks into the fun, I noticed a flatulent sound coming from my left surround speaker at certain frequencies, and after a brief session of troubleshooting, I determined that the woofer driver was to fault. I consulted the warranty information and looked on their website, and found that if you provide a copy of the bill of sale along with the serial number, and they will grant you a one-time free order of up to two replacement parts per speaker, in the event that a warranty service center would be inconvenient. I sent them my information and recieved an email saying that the assembly was on backorder. I figured I could wait a little. Fortunately I didnt have to since the box from Harmann arrived 5 days later. Four screws and two wire clips later, all was well, and the old driver is now a paper weight on my office desk. Bonus fact: quick examination reveals that the 160s and 360s are made of entirely interchangeable parts... the woofer assys, the tweeters, and the plastic surrounds are al the same in different configurations. Between my array of speakers, I should be well covered on replacement parts should something unfortunate occur.

Anyhow, I decided that the best bang for my buck on a subwoofer was to build one of Rythmik Audio's DS12 Servo kits, and I am shocked at its capabilities. I had never experienced subsonics like this in a home unit. Rather than outclassing the Infinity components, I think it just helps to lift them up, esp since I can cross the Primus speakers over at 80hz to unburden them a bit. Between the clarity and dynamics of the Primus array, and the speed, accuracy and depth of the Rythmik kit, I feel like Ive jumped the turnstile into home entertaiment heaven, paying a small fraction of what I should have to get this kind of quality.

Suffice it to say that the addition of an Oppo 981 for the sake of playing SACD, DVD-Audio and hearing the full range of DTS recordings has been a hoot.

Now, to start saving pennies for when the Samsung HL-T6176S comes out.
post #825 of 3963 Old 05-03-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augmont View Post

Sad to say that I passed up on a new in box PS12 for $160.

How are you liking your STF-2? Is it meeting your needs?

Wow. For 160 I might have bought it just to try it out regardless of what sub I already own.

My room in 12x14x9 and closed. There's bass hype on the forums then there is bass reality when you turn it on and the hype was apparent when after I started listening. But then this is my first HT set up and i haven't listened to any audiophile stuff.

The HSU is a HUGE improvement over what I had so in that I am very pleased. For music it's transparent and adds a fullness of bass to the room and raises the level on notes that aren't as prominent on the 360s. The crispness/tightness (if that is a correct term) and IMPACT of the bass comes more from the 360s than the sub. I'm guessing that this has more to do with mid-bass coming from the 360s. The HSU is fast by that I mean I don't hear any delay or lingering of bass from the sub.

I listen to mostly R&B older and newer, some rap, some older rock and some pop. BTW, this sub really shows how poorly bass is mixed in rap. It's kinda like listen to a car system turned up way to loud as it passed by. Add to that this reverb bass thing that's popular and it's just ridiculous to listen to at higher volumes...for that I go with 360s only.

For HT it's amazing...compared to what I'm used to. No muddiness and the LFE are felt...and this is a 10" sub. I have realized that less is more. I stated out by turning the thing 1/2 way and to get it calibrated to 75db I have to take the db level on the Onkyo 604 to -6. When I want more I raise it 2-3 db at MOST and it's more than enough. I sometimes do this when the volumes are lower so i can get the bass. At higher volumes it becomes less of and issue.

I got it for 350 shipped and that is a great price for really good sub. I was looking at 12" subs like the JBL venue but a coin toss after a poor HT experience with my old sub chose the HSU. I'm still curious to hear the JBL as it is 12" and come from a good company but not unhappy with HSU to return it and try something else.

I was all set to get the PS 12 when The Audio Video Source was all sold out. The only other price i could get was 379--shipping not included. For that kind of money i went with the HSU for price and reputation and i'm not disappointed I did...just curious as what the others sound like.

In bass reality the best thing is when you forget its there and really enjoy the movie...when the effect surprise you and you becoem engaged. Otherwise, as I feel personally, My attention gets focused on effects and techical aspects...which is cool...but not when i want to veg-out and watch Happyfeet or something like that.

--Mike
post #826 of 3963 Old 05-08-2007, 06:00 PM

Fun fact, I was just watching NCIS and they had an OWS-1 in black mounted on either side of a large projection screen. It's the same system I'm using for surrounds, and for much the same reason, they are almost flat without requiring breaking into the wall and they look good. Oh yeah, they sounds just as great as the rest of the Primus line.
post #827 of 3963 Old 05-10-2007, 05:13 PM

Just a quick question concerning the 360's... I have them running off of a newer Denon stereo receiver, the DRA-37. Its rated at 50 watts rms per channel and is supposed to be high current. The 360's are rated at 200... is it safe to play loud music with this receiver? I some times have it up to +5 for short periods of time and hear no distortion..but id rather have some good advice. As i am quite paranoid when it comes to my 360's

While i'm at it does anyone have any experience with both the 360's and the Athena AS-F2's. I found that my AS-B2's have a more intimate up front sound while the 360's seemed to be lacking in highs when compared back and forth, but they had a smoother midrange. Which would you prefer when it comes to hard rock and some acoustic music.. Thanks for your time

[font=Impact]InFiNiTy
post #828 of 3963 Old 05-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

I've heard both the Athenas and Primuses. For rock highs and bass are more important than the mids. So specifically for rock, i'd take the Athenas. And it's probably fine to listen to them at loud levels as long as they dont distort and clip you'll be fine. 50 watts is plenty to drive the 360's to unbearably loud levels. WHen i had my 250's i hooked it up to a Denon integrated pushing 80 w/ch and they sounded great with no distortion and itd probably trump any Pioneer yammy surround receiver on the market now.
post #829 of 3963 Old 05-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

I have them running off of a newer Denon stereo receiver, the DRA-37. Its rated at 50 watts rms per channel and is supposed to be high current. The 360's are rated at 200... is it safe to play loud music with this receiver? I some times have it up to +5 for short periods of time and hear no distortion

The 200 watt rating on the 360 refers to the maximum amount of power that it can receive without causing damage. This is open to interpretation. It is actually easier to damage speakers with too little power than with too much. Your 50 wpc Denon can kill your tweeters if you drive it into clipping. You should be able to hear that HARD sound before they self-destruct and turn things down. This would probably be at insanely painful levels anyway, depending on your room size.

You mention having it up to +5. What does that mean in objective terms? I can't turn my Sony receiver past 4 (and that's on a scale of from zero to ten) and still stay in the room. You might consider picking up a sound level meter to find out just how loud in decibels you're playing your 360s.

Oh, I have Infinity speakers, too. Interludes.

Greg

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #830 of 3963 Old 05-10-2007, 05:56 PM

Damn...im torn now lol. I love the sound the primus's bring to movies. The amazingly smooth mids and the excellent transient response, especially for symbol taps . But iv heard the rave reviews for the AS-F2's bass response and about how incredibly loud they can play. Are the Athena's bright or are the Primus's lacking. Iv heard that the Primus's have a very flat response except for the mid bass, so does that mean when i do and a/b with my b2's that they are bright or exaggerated?

[font=Impact]InFiNiTy
post #831 of 3963 Old 05-10-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBright View Post

The 200 watt rating on the 360 refers to the maximum amount of power that it can receive without causing damage. This is open to interpretation. It is actually easier to damage speakers with too little power than with too much. Your 50 wpc Denon can kill your tweeters if you drive it into clipping. You should be able to hear that HARD sound before they self-destruct and turn things down. This would probably be at insanely painful levels anyway, depending on your room size.

You mention having it up to +5. What does that mean in objective terms? I can't turn my Sony receiver past 4 and still stay in the room. You might consider picking up a sound level meter to find out just how loud in decibels you're playing your 360s.

Oh, I have Infinity speakers, too. Interludes.

Greg

Wow.... yea its really loud at +5...the dial on my Denon goes from -80 to +18. Iv never turned it up to max but when i want to listen to it loud i have them at maybe -15 or -10 and then i dont have it on that long. I usually only play them at +5 for a few minutes, i just love to see how they preform . Are you saying i shouldn't do that because im not sure how loud the 360 should be able to play. I'm only 18 and but im really into all of this audio stuff. But again i dont have any really experience to compare my listening levels to. Where would i pick a decibel meter? Oh.. the music i was playing was heavy metal, if that makes any difference in loudness im not sure.

[font=Impact]InFiNiTy
post #832 of 3963 Old 05-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

You can pick up an SPL meter at Radio Shack for about $30.
post #833 of 3963 Old 05-16-2007, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
For those who have 360's and the center channel C25, are you finding the C25 to be too small with the 360's? I've had my 360's for several weeks and they sound great but I'm finding that my C25 just doesn't have the same......how should I say it....fullness of sound. I find it not complimenting the 360's better.

I have calibrated my system and have ran the center a little hot but it's still doesn't sound pleasing to my ears.

Prior to my 360's i was using 150's as my L/R and I felt the C25 blended seamlessly with the 150's.
post #834 of 3963 Old 05-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Ever since the Intermezzo and Interlude lines, the 36 has been Infinity's best center channel speaker, in its Alpha, Beta, Entra, Kappa, and Primus configurations. What you are now discovering is that the 25 just can't keep up with the dynamics and superior sound quality of your new 360s. A little two-way center is no match for those big new 3-way mains. The 36 centers are big and heavy. And worth every penny. You will marvel at the improvement.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #835 of 3963 Old 05-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

All Infinity 3-way center channel speakers from the Interlude line through the Primus and Beta line had a "36" in the name. Some were 36c's, and some were 360c's, and some were c360s... All were similarly configured, and all shared that 3 and 6.

Greg

post #836 of 3963 Old 05-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

I have big old Interlude IL-60 mains w/ built-in 500w amps powering side-mounted 12" woofers - pretty flat to 25 Hz. And yes, there is an Interlude IL-36c 3-way center channel sitting between them. Haven't heard any of the newer Infinity models, but if they actually do sound better than my Interludes then they must be very fine speakers indeed. I cannot imagine any other speaker brand having a more accurate, pleasing sound than Infinity at their current price points. (sorry if there are spelling errors. Brokke my rt hand on sun and still getting used to all lh typing. do'nt ever get angry enough to need a pin to hold your bones together).

greg

post #837 of 3963 Old 05-17-2007, 09:55 AM

So I finally got everything set up and wires run and what not. They have been up and running for about 2 weeks now and I am very pleased with the sound they produce; I still have to get some speaker stand for the rears but other than that they sound great; I've used them for pretty much everything, music, movies and TV (no HD ausio source yet, nor do I have inputs for them on my receiver, I bought a cheaper one so I can upgrade when the new Onkyo's come out this summer).

So far, here's my set up:
360's - Front mains
C25 - Center chnl
150's - Rears
Velodyne DLS-5000R - Sub
Pioneer VSX-516 - 7.1 w/ 100wpc.
I believe currently I have all speakers set to small with x-overs at 80 or maybe one step below that at 50 or 60, I cannot remember, I will have to check on that one to be sure.
I have a standard TV and DVD player hooked up to it as well as my computer via optical and my HD1000U hooked up to my computer via HDMI w/ a DVI-HDMI adapter. I'm digging it!
post #838 of 3963 Old 05-18-2007, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

Wow, never heard of someone deconstucting a good speaker to make a center channel. I think the most important factors to consider in such an endeavor would have to be cabinet volume, port size and length, and any cabinet stuffing. Also cabinet bracing. Do you intend to make it with the woofers on either side of a vertically mounted tweeter/mid-range? If you keep the cabinet size the same as the 360 this will be one monster center channel speaker. Maybe you could use the original cabinet and just make a new front baffle.

Good luck.

post #839 of 3963 Old 05-21-2007, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Haha thats just funny looking. I think its a little disadvantageous to have the center firing at your knees
post #840 of 3963 Old 05-29-2007, 07:40 PM

Hello all this is pretty much my first time getting into the audio thing so I need some help . What would make more sense 4 stand speakers or 2 stand speaker in the front and 2 bookshelfs in the back ?

Edit: I did some research and answered my own question
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page