Infinity Primus Owner's Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
First ... 35  36  37 38  39  ... Last
Speakers > Infinity Primus Owner's Thread
jehanzeb's Avatar jehanzeb 01:33 AM 07-27-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGuy View Post

Come on i just bought the PC350, and i choose not to believe that the P362 will make better center than the PC350. When i could have bought another P362 for $99. Also isn't the PC350 made mainly for voices?....shouldn't that at least be better than the P362? I always read that the center speaker is one of the most or is the most important speaker, here you go ruining my hope for the PC350 as being the very best.

I used to own the PC350.

But after reading this article:
http://www.audioholics.com/education...peaker-designs

I decided to try three P362's for a total of 300$.

Sorry to say but this setup sounds better than the Polk or PC350 I had before.

Although if space is an issue, stick with the PC350. It is a great Center!

blued888's Avatar blued888 01:51 AM 07-27-2008
@jehanzeb

Just wondering what your TV is? I find it hard to imagine how placement would be for the P362 center if your TV is not a projector. Can you take a picture of your setup? Thanks!
jehanzeb's Avatar jehanzeb 01:54 AM 07-27-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by blued888 View Post

@jehanzeb

Just wondering what your TV is? I find it hard to imagine how placement would be for the P362 center if your TV is not a projector. Can you take a picture of your setup? Thanks!

I have a Sony XBR4 (52"). The rack for the TV was elevated about 6 inches from the ground to clear the top of the P362.

Sorry, my Canon SD550 has an 'E18' error on it right now so will post pics when it's back from repair.
allargon's Avatar allargon 10:23 AM 07-27-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensselaer80 View Post

By using Large, the AVR is sending full range signal to the speaker, so including low frequencies the speaker is not capable of reproducing. Now, normally, the center gets predominantly the speech, which falls well above the low end of the speaker. My guess is you will not here much, if any, difference when you set it to Small. I agree, the center does a great job.

I have all of of my speakers set to small, including the 362 fronts, with, I believe, a 50hz cut off. I have a subwoofer to cover the low end. I was watching King Kong last night, great movie if you enjoy lots of bass.

I cut my P362's (mains) off at 40 Hz, since I don't yet have a sub. I also have the HK AVR-247. I set them to small, though. The whole large small thing could fill an entire forum full of threads. Some people think all speakers should be small. Others think all should be large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotc View Post

Oh so its safe to leave the 362's as the fronts around 50HZ cuttoff? They wont get damaged that way? I was too scared to leave them that low. I have mine all set to 80hz.

Why not? I could understand sending 25 Hz to the mains as a no-no, but 45 shouldn't be an issue. They did rattle when I watched The Eye this past weekend. (No sub...) However, I need to open them up and brace everything better anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehanzeb View Post

I used to own the PC350.

But after reading this article:
http://www.audioholics.com/education...peaker-designs

I decided to try three P362's for a total of 300$.

Sorry to say but this setup sounds better than the Polk or PC350 I had before.

Although if space is an issue, stick with the PC350. It is a great Center!

I like the idea of the P362 as a center but only for people with wall mounted displays. My rear projection DLP does not do vertical off-axis well. Side angle viewing is fine, but vertical off is a no-no...
GLBright's Avatar GLBright 06:19 PM 07-27-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

I cut my P362's (mains) off at 40 Hz, since I don't yet have a sub. I also have the HK AVR-247. I set them to small, though. The whole large small thing could fill an entire forum full of threads. Some people think all speakers should be small. Others think all should be large.

I'm confused as to why you would set your speakers to small if you don't yet have a sub. They will produce bass below your selected cut-off point, and do it proudly, just not loudly. Once upon a time nobody had subs or the choice of large or small. All speakers were sent a full range signal. My 1972 Large Advents are playing pipe organ music as I write this.
allargon's Avatar allargon 10:14 PM 07-27-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBright View Post

I'm confused as to why you would set your speakers to small if you don't yet have a sub. They will produce bass below your selected cut-off point, and do it proudly, just not loudly. Once upon a time nobody had subs or the choice of large or small. All speakers were sent a full range signal. My 1972 Large Advents are playing pipe organ music as I write this.

Honestly, I'm still getting used to them. I had several people that owned this speaker and AVR combo tell me to set it to small. I'm well aware that only 20 years ago everything was stereo. (Buck Adams Stereo World bringing you the best in Hi-Fi!) I had some possible distortion when playing low bass at large. I'm taking it easy on them.
blued888's Avatar blued888 07:39 AM 07-28-2008
Can Primus P362 users who use a "large" setting please chime in and kindly PM me what receiver/amplifier you are using with it for a 5.1 HT setup? I want to get a receiver which would allow me to use its "large" setting capabilities. Thinking about a Yamaha RX-V663.

Thanks!
jehanzeb's Avatar jehanzeb 01:22 AM 07-29-2008
Quote:

Can Primus P362 users who use a "large" setting please chime in and kindly PM me what receiver/amplifier you are using with it for a 5.1 HT setup? I want to get a receiver which would allow me to use its "large" setting capabilities. Thinking about a Yamaha RX-V663.

Thanks!

I currently own an HK AVR 347 but have used the HK 254 and the RX-V663 with these speakers.

All my speakers were set as 'Small' with an 80hz cutoff.

If you own a sub, 'Small' is a good baseline to start with:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/128214.html

If you don't own a sub, setting them to 'Large' would work fine.
Spasticteapot's Avatar Spasticteapot 01:19 PM 07-30-2008
Would the Primus Theater Pack (http://www.amazon.com/Harman-PRIMUST.../dp/B00025538C) be suitable for use with the Elemental Designs A2-300 sub? (http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...790fe4b036cb2d)

Dumb question...but worth asking regardless.
lotc's Avatar lotc 01:37 PM 07-30-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasticteapot View Post

Would the Primus Theater Pack (http://www.amazon.com/Harman-PRIMUST.../dp/B00025538C) be suitable for use with the Elemental Designs A2-300 sub? (http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...790fe4b036cb2d)

You can, you do not have to match your speaker setup with the same exact brand subwoofer. Other thing to think about is your room size.
BAMAVADER's Avatar BAMAVADER 01:37 PM 07-30-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasticteapot View Post

Should work fine...

Spasticteapot's Avatar Spasticteapot 01:53 PM 07-30-2008
Quote:

You can, you do not have to match your speaker setup with the same exact brand subwoofer. Other thing to think about is your room size.

I'm well aware of that. More worrying is that the 12" sub might only be usable up to 70hz, while the surround satellites might only play down to 100.

If anyone has a recommendation for a good sub below $300, I'm more than open to hearing it.
talen316's Avatar talen316 08:48 PM 07-30-2008
Looking for some help with a 5.1 HT configuration.

I was all set on going with the following setup...
Front: 362's
Center: 350
Rear: 252's
Sub: 212

However, the main issue I'm having is that I have less space than I realized for the center. Width is not a problem, but I only have about 7" height and
7"-8" max depth to work with.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a more trimline center that would fit the space I have available and still match well with the 362's and wouldn't cost a fortune?

Also, I was figuring on the 252's on the rear as opposed to the 162's since by the time I added quality speaker stands, the price difference wasn't that much. Am I better off going this route or would it be a better idea to have bookshelf rears that could be elevated higher on stands? Does it make much of a difference?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.
jehanzeb's Avatar jehanzeb 12:34 PM 07-31-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by talen316 View Post

Width is not a problem, but I only have about 7" height and
7"-8" max depth to work with.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a more trimline center that would fit the space I have available and still match well with the 362's and wouldn't cost a fortune?

Try this center:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ails/548249891

Size: 6.69" H x 17.00" W x 8.38" D
talen316's Avatar talen316 02:53 PM 07-31-2008
jehanzeb - thanks!

Am I giving up a lot by going down from the 3-way 360 center to the 2-way 250 center esp when pairing with the 3-way 362's?

Also, do you think I would be better served to go with bookshelfs and stands for the higher elevation in the back vs. using 262's?

Thanks again.
lotc's Avatar lotc 06:45 PM 07-31-2008
Quote:

jehanzeb - thanks!

Am I giving up a lot by going down from the 3-way 360 center to the 2-way 250 center esp when pairing with the 3-way 362's?

Also, do you think I would be better served to go with bookshelfs and stands for the higher elevation in the back vs. using 262's?

Thanks again.

Alot of people say that there is a big difference between the 350 and 250. The beta 250 center will sound a bit brighter than the primus, but I think its as close as you can get because the primus 2way center doesnt fit in your shelf either.

As for the rear, if you are going to use 262s why not just wait till frys has a sale on the 362's for $99 again instead of using a 262 or 162...it will be a big upgrade.
talen316's Avatar talen316 07:45 PM 07-31-2008
Quote:

Alot of people say that there is a big difference between the 350 and 250. The beta 250 center will sound a bit brighter than the primus, but I think its as close as you can get because the primus 2way center doesnt fit in your shelf either.

As for the rear, if you are going to use 262s why not just wait till frys has a sale on the 362's for $99 again instead of using a 262 or 162...it will be a big upgrade.

Thanks for the help...

As far as the center spkr goes, the other option that might work would be to put it on a stand behind the TV. I could probably work it to align with the front edge of the TV, but I would need to find a speaker stand that could adjust to 54" and accomodate a center the size of a 360. Does such a beast exist?

Regarding the backs, I didn't realize 362's could be had for $99/ea. How often does Fry's run a sale like that?

Also, how is the PS-212 sub? It can be had for around $250. Seems like it would be good buy at that price unless it underperforms or has had a history of problems???

Thanks
lotc's Avatar lotc 01:10 AM 08-01-2008
What kind of Tv do you have? If its a DLP this stand which hooks on to the top and back of the TV may work, It holds up to 30lbs, but if you have a flat screen LCD or Plasma it wont.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/OmniM...oductDetail.do

Over the last month and a half Fry's has had the 362's for $99 each twice. I dont know much about the PS-212 sub, Im pretty sure there are better subs for that price, just look around in the subwoofer forum. Matching the Sub with the same brand is not important.

Quote:

Thanks for the help...

As far as the center spkr goes, the other option that might work would be to put it on a stand behind the TV. I could probably work it to align with the front edge of the TV, but I would need to find a speaker stand that could adjust to 54" and accomodate a center the size of a 360. Does such a beast exist?

Regarding the backs, I didn't realize 362's could be had for $99/ea. How often does Fry's run a sale like that?

Also, how is the PS-212 sub? It can be had for around $250. Seems like it would be good buy at that price unless it underperforms or has had a history of problems???

Thanks

J Man57's Avatar J Man57 06:13 AM 08-01-2008
Quote:

Thanks!

This is my setup, used the Audessey setting to determine Large or Small:

Denon 988
Samsung DLP HDTV
Front- Infinity Primus 362 Floor Speakers
Center - Infinity Primus 350
Surround - Bose 501 Floor Speakers (left over from old system - 10 yrs old)
Sub - Mirage Frx-S10

The bose speakers sound good, but wonder how the Infinity 252 floor speakers would sound as the back surround. That should be a good match to the Infinity 362 and 350 center. I have been pleased with the Infinity speakers so far, and was curious if anyone had heard the 252's as back surround, and how good they sounded.

Audessey setup of Sub- the instructions say:
set volume to center
Crossover Frequency - maximum
Low pass filter and standby mode - Off
My Mirage Sub is one that I bought 10 yrs ago, and don't have the same controls. It has a Level Control, and a LP Filter Control. How would you set those in order to best maximize the Auddesey setup?

The results of my setup are: Front - Large, Center - Small, Surround - Large

FL - 14.9ft channel level -3.0db
FR - 15.0ft channel level -2.5db
C - 14.3 ft channel level -2.5db
SW - 14.0 ft channel level +6.5db
SL - 7.5 ft channel level 0db
SR - 8.6ft channel level +1.5db

Crossover Frequency : 80HZ
FRONT LARGE
CENTER SMALL
SURROUND LARGE

I would choose the 252 over the 362 for my rear surround based on size. It's give and take with the wife. She almost freaked when I wheeled in the 362's for the front. I can just imagine if I wheeled in two more for the rear. The 252's are only about 3 or 4 inches shorter than the 362. They are still fairly large, and should provide good surround. I also considered the 162 on stands, but felt the extra cost of stands made the 252 an attractive opton.
calnbs's Avatar calnbs 07:39 AM 08-01-2008
Quote:

Thanks!

Read this if it helps:

Speaker settings: small or large:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...hread.php?t=51
Gary*w*'s Avatar Gary*w* 10:58 AM 08-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post

Read this if it helps:

Speaker settings: small or large:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...hread.php?t=51

Good read thanks for posting.
jehanzeb's Avatar jehanzeb 03:05 AM 08-02-2008
Quote:

@jehanzeb

After the 5.8 earthquake out here, I am not taking any chances with the TV stand.

Finally got my TV mounted....with the three P362's shown here too.
LL
chaarlieee's Avatar chaarlieee 10:04 AM 08-11-2008
How does the p362 compare to the Polk r50? I'm thinking of getting two p362's with a pc350 center and throwing my r50's in the back.

Thanks.
jehanzeb's Avatar jehanzeb 04:00 PM 08-11-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaarlieee View Post

How does the p362 compare to the Polk r50? I'm thinking of getting two p362's with a pc350 center and throwing my r50's in the back.

Thanks.

Compares very well! The little 50's are amazing speakers for the 60$ I paid for one speaker (sold individually).

Great mid-bass, smooth highs and a wide soundstage.

Their sound is warm without being boomy and clear enough without being too thin.

They might be overkill for surround duties but are an excellent choice nonethless.

Here are some user reviews on Polk's site:

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...r50/?reviews=1
lotc's Avatar lotc 06:00 PM 08-11-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaarlieee View Post

Thanks.

They are great as surrounds with the P362, I bought a pair to match my 362 fronts....may buy another set for my rear surrounds.
chaarlieee's Avatar chaarlieee 10:07 PM 08-11-2008
Thanks for the info guys. I did buy the r50's from Fry's for $59.99 each, but I saw the p362's for $99 and read more about them here. I'll be waiting for the next p362 sale at Fry's--they were actually on sale last week, but I didn't know anything about them.

I'll have a 5.1 setup with a TX-SR606 receiver, P362B fronts, PC350 center, R50 rear surrounds, and an Ascendant Audio Avalanche 15" in 4.5ft^3 sealed.
Mr.Metal's Avatar Mr.Metal 12:25 PM 08-12-2008
Hey all,

I recently bought a Panasonic 50" plasma TV (50PZ800U) and I'm starting to put the funding together for a surround sound system to match it. I've always heard nothing but good things about Infinity speakers, so I started to put together a dream system. What I have tentatively selected is the following:

Front: Two Infinity Primus 362
Center: Infinity Primus C350
Surround: Two (or four?) Infinity Primus P162
Low end: Infinity PS212 Subwoofer

I'll probably push all that with an Onkyo receiver. Now, a couple of questions.

1. The above setup will put me past $2K. That's quite a lot of money. If I'm to spend that much, I want quality. Am I correct in saying that Infinity sound quality and build quality is still considered pretty high?

2. My plasma TV is in a basement room, I would say 14' x 14', no windows, all closed off, no outside sounds at all. Basically a dark, enclosed room, TV against one wall, couch on the opposite wall. If I put that much speaker power down there, will it be too much? Should I be looking at a smaller system?

3. Any alternate setups I should be considering? I'm not opposed to other brands, I just don't know what I should be searching/researching on this site. All pointers would be very appreciated.
juiceblrc's Avatar juiceblrc 02:58 PM 08-12-2008
I would think the above setup (if you are including speakers only) should be well below $2000. Fry's has the 362's on sale for $99 each once in awhile.
allargon's Avatar allargon 07:48 PM 08-12-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metal View Post

Hey all,

I recently bought a Panasonic 50" plasma TV (50PZ800U) and I'm starting to put the funding together for a surround sound system to match it. I've always heard nothing but good things about Infinity speakers, so I started to put together a dream system. What I have tentatively selected is the following:

Front: Two Infinity Primus 362
Center: Infinity Primus C350
Surround: Two (or four?) Infinity Primus P162
Low end: Infinity PS212 Subwoofer

I'll probably push all that with an Onkyo receiver. Now, a couple of questions.

1. The above setup will put me past $2K. That's quite a lot of money. If I'm to spend that much, I want quality. Am I correct in saying that Infinity sound quality and build quality is still considered pretty high?

2. My plasma TV is in a basement room, I would say 14' x 14', no windows, all closed off, no outside sounds at all. Basically a dark, enclosed room, TV against one wall, couch on the opposite wall. If I put that much speaker power down there, will it be too much? Should I be looking at a smaller system?

3. Any alternate setups I should be considering? I'm not opposed to other brands, I just don't know what I should be searching/researching on this site. All pointers would be very appreciated.

#1) That speaker/sub setup is below $1k if you know how to shop (Fry's, Craigslist and Ebay!). Honestly, I would skip the Infinity subwoofer and get something else. The sub does NOT have to match. I'm considering a similar setup, but going DIY on the sub.

#2) Not too much but you will probably want to treat it most basements have hard surfaces everywhere which reflect sound like crazy...

#3) See my comment about the sub.
HotRodDiesels's Avatar HotRodDiesels 03:45 PM 08-15-2008
Fry's has the P362's on sale again for $99 each
First ... 35  36  37 38  39  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop