Infinity Primus Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 3948 Old 09-27-2006, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This may be old news, but the rebate form at CC for the 150's now appears to allow for rebates for multiple speakers, rather than just one. Am I just missing something?
Also, what would be an appropriate center? I will be running four 150's off an onkyo 503. Would another 150 work for a center?
Also, the CC price on the PS 8 sub seems pretty reasonable. Curious if anyone else had any experience with it.
Thanks for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3948 Old 09-27-2006, 09:17 AM
axs
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontsneeze View Post

This may be old news, but the rebate form at CC for the 150's now appears to allow for rebates for multiple speakers, rather than just one. Am I just missing something?
Also, what would be an appropriate center? I will be running four 150's off an onkyo 503. Would another 150 work for a center?
Also, the CC price on the PS 8 sub seems pretty reasonable. Curious if anyone else had any experience with it.
Thanks for all your help.

Go with Primus C25 for center. Never tried 150s for center myself.
PS8 might work for you, if don't have a very large room.
post #93 of 3948 Old 09-27-2006, 09:48 AM

i have a question for somebody.

i have the 360s for my HT setup and i was wondering if these sound any better with more watts running to them. i have them connected to a sony receiver which does 70 watts per channel and these can go up to 200. should i run separate amps to these to get more wattage? how would i do that and what kind of amp should i get?

any help is definately appreciated.

these already sound great, just wondering if i can do anything to make them even better.
post #94 of 3948 Old 09-27-2006, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartwel View Post

i have the 360s for my HT setup and i was wondering if these sound any better with more watts running to them. i have them connected to a sony receiver which does 70 watts per channel and these can go up to 200. should i run separate amps to these to get more wattage? how would i do that and what kind of amp should i get?

these already sound great, just wondering if i can do anything to make them even better.

The extra headroom can give them more dynamic punch, and may make the bass sound "tighter" as well. (Sony tends to greatly overstate the wattage on their receivers. An Onkyo rated at 50 watts/ch would have more real-world power.)
post #95 of 3948 Old 09-27-2006, 09:56 AM

thanks.

so does anybody know how i would go about integrating some amps in my HT and what kinds to get?
post #96 of 3948 Old 09-27-2006, 10:29 AM
axs
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartwel View Post

It will be interesting to try with another AVR (more wattage than the current one) and see if it makes any difference. I would also take into consideration the other speakers in the setup and not go too crazy with the volume though.
post #97 of 3948 Old 09-27-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axs View Post

Do you really need both PS12 and PS8? I have PS12 and it is plenty for my room, which is almost 22' x 12' x 8'.

Do you have a large room (or a room leading to lot of open areas)? How are you planning to connect this new subwoofer to the receiver?

I have a similar sized room, the rear side of the room leads to an open area. I agree the PS12 may be plenty enough. I might also use the PS8 in another room to replace a passive sub. The price is too good to pass up. But I want to try connection both (Y connector on the LFE input) just to see what it does.
post #98 of 3948 Old 09-28-2006, 08:52 AM

hey guys, i just purchased a new HT setup yesterday at cc. i got the H/K avr 340 and a 5.1 primus series set all for $1100. This is going in a 12x13 room. i got the 250s, 150s and the C25 with a PS8. Did i get it at a reasonable price?? the receiver comes in monday, i cant wait to start playing with it.

my question is , is the 8 inch subwoofer good enuf? or shud i have gone with a 10 inch.
post #99 of 3948 Old 09-28-2006, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Just wanted to add ... I am using 150s for surrounds and not particularly looking for deep bass etc. They fit quite well in that role. I agree that given the options (and if I could afford), I will not use them as mains.

Same here. I have the 140s as back - mostly for collecting dust. IMO the 150 isn't enough for front.
post #100 of 3948 Old 09-28-2006, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cFoo View Post

Same here. I have the 140s as back - mostly for collecting dust. IMO the 150 isn't enough for front.

When I had the 150's, I used them by themselves in a stereo setup. I thought they sounded quite good, especially for the price.
post #101 of 3948 Old 09-28-2006, 06:30 PM
axs
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

When I had the 150's, I used them by themselves in a stereo setup. I thought they sounded quite good, especially for the price.

Agreed. 150s sound quite good and are great value given the current discounted price, but my point was that if budget permits, I would certainly upgrade to either 250s or 360s as front L/R. I chose 360s for front L/R for my setup.
post #102 of 3948 Old 09-28-2006, 06:38 PM
axs
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondele View Post

my question is , is the 8 inch subwoofer good enuf? or shud i have gone with a 10 inch.

It kind of depends on your expectations from this sub, it will probably be not enough for house crumbling bass, but it might be able to provide decent bass for your room.

Good thing is that you can always take it back to CC, if you don't get enough bass for your taste and get another (bigger and better) one.
post #103 of 3948 Old 09-28-2006, 06:39 PM
axs
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltv View Post

But I want to try connection both (Y connector on the LFE input) just to see what it does.

Let us know, how it works for you.
post #104 of 3948 Old 09-28-2006, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree for the most part BUT if the room is SMALL then the 150's should be sufficient. That is, as long as the 150's are mated to a decent powered subwoofer. In larger rooms the 150's would distort quite rapidly and as such the 250's or the 360's would be more ideal.

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
post #105 of 3948 Old 09-28-2006, 06:43 PM
axs
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the 140s as back - mostly for collecting dust.

If your receiver has options for A+B speakers, you might very well use them for another room.
post #106 of 3948 Old 09-29-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:

Let us know, how it works for you.

Well I picked up the PS 8. Having both subs running, the bass is more distributed across the room. I've tried with the PS 12 and PS 8 in different positions, currently have the PS 8 up front next to the 250s, the PS 12 in the rear where it can really rattle the seats. Having 2 subs active is definitely an improvement on the sub sound in my room, but....

I think there is a problem with the PS 8, it sometimes goes into auto standby mode and does not reliably recognize the LFE signal. When it does this, I need to cycle the power to get it to recognize the LFE signal again. My PS 12 has never had this problem. The PS 8 will do this when connected in parallel with the Y cable or when it's the only sub connected, I've tested it both ways.

So I think I'll return the PS 8 to CC - not sure if this is a problem with just the one I purchased or not.
post #107 of 3948 Old 09-29-2006, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atdamico View Post

An arrogant and insulting post from an obviously arrogant and insulting person. Frankly, YOU were the one who lied and then accuse others of doing the same thing. We tend to judge others by our own standards, don't we? You lie and so expect that others are as well. Just because you have no ethics don't assume others don't. How many people do you know who own Dunlavy? or Triangle? Not very many and I have owned them all. Or Axiom? I love to buy and play around with obscure brands of speakers because I can. I have also owned Infinity RS1's, RS2's, Infinity Overture 2's, and have a pair 150's. If you aren't going to believe anybody unless you can "see" the actual speaker and listen for yourself why are you even here? Somebody asked about SVS and I responded. I am a 150 owner so I have as much right to be on this thread as anybody. Check any of my other post over the 4+ years I have been around here and you will see I have NO agenda. I push NO speaker brand.

Frankly, if I had a budget of what the 150's cost and wanted a speaker for my HT system in that range, knowing what I know now, I'd look for a few used pairs of RS2's and mate them with an Infinity CC2. Absolutly wonderful Infinity speakers that have a brilliant midrange. Don't know why Infinity went away from the RS series. I always found them to be outstanding. And the CC center channel speakers were some of the best center channel speakers Infinity ever produced. But who knows maybe I'm just a lier like you, whose agenda is to get people to only buy used speakers. Yeah, that's the ticket. I think I'll waste my time on an internet site to BS people into buying used Infinity speakers.

I wouldn't accept any advice from anybody who openly admitted to posting a lie, as you have just done, for any reason.

atdamico,

You're right I can be arrognant and insulting at times. Don't take it personal, my post was not directed specifically at you, it was a generalization about things I read around here. Sorry I ruffled your feathers.

I believe you about the SVS speakers - so much I am close to ordering a set just to see how good they sound in my setup.

I too like the older Infinitys, I have a pair of QEs (pre RS) with Emit tweeters which I still use for music, but not in the HT. They sound fantastic.
post #108 of 3948 Old 09-29-2006, 08:45 PM
axs
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think there is a problem with the PS 8, it sometimes goes into auto standby mode and does not reliably recognize the LFE signal. When it does this, I need to cycle the power to get it to recognize the LFE signal again. My PS 12 has never had this problem. The PS 8 will do this when connected in parallel with the Y cable or when it's the only sub connected, I've tested it both ways.

So I think I'll return the PS 8 to CC - not sure if this is a problem with just the one I purchased or not.

It is normal for subs to get into standby mode after 10-15 minutes of system inactivity (when no signal is detected), but they should power back on (without having to power cycle them), when signal is available again.

I think you will be fine with only PS12.
post #109 of 3948 Old 10-03-2006, 10:44 PM

Quote:

It is normal for subs to get into standby mode after 10-15 minutes of system inactivity (when no signal is detected), but they should power back on (without having to power cycle them), when signal is available again.

I think you will be fine with only PS12.

Well the PS-8 went back to CC. I tried it in another setup with another receiver and had the same problem.

I agree the PS-12 is enough for the room. But I did end up moving to sub to the rear of the room (behind the seating area), instead of up front by the 250's.

I set the 250's up front to "large" on my Pioneer 1015, and sub to "plus" mode. All other speakers are in "small" mode.

Am currently really liking this setup, the bass is more evenly distributed across the room.
post #110 of 3948 Old 10-03-2006, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

At 4X the MSRP of the Primus 250's, my B&W 602's were a definite, audible step up. I am not at all convinced that anything less would have been. (The 250's sounded better to me than the $450 Klipsch's that I initially thought of as an "upgrade".)

What impresses me most is the imaging, you can't tell where the sound is coming from when listening to 2 channel music with the 250's.

If you think the 602's are a definite step up, think I'll be auditioning them soon!
post #111 of 3948 Old 10-04-2006, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What impresses me most is the imaging, you can't tell where the sound is coming from when listening to 2 channel music with the 250's.

If you think the 602's are a definite step up, think I'll be auditioning them soon!

Imaging is very definitely a strong point of the Primus's.
If you audition the 602's and want to give them a fair shake, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. First, if the showroom is large (compared to our own room), they will sound better when you get them home. Second, the Primus 250's emphasize the bass "presence" region (around 100-150hz), while the 602's do not. This can initially make the 602's seem bass-shy. Listening to something with stong, extended bass will cure this illusion. Finally, the 602's are a bit less sensitive than the 250's, so be sure to level match (and bypass the tone controls if you have that option.)
I love my 602's, but the 250's are wonderful speakers in their own right. Enjoy them while you have them!
post #112 of 3948 Old 10-04-2006, 10:23 AM

I have an older Infinity setup. LR are Kappa 7.1's. Center is Video 1. Surrounds are old Infinity bookshelfs that have been wrecked. Powered Velodyne 15" sub.
Getting a new Yamaha 2700 7.1 receiver soon and need new surrounds and middle surrounds. I was thinking of either the 250 or 360 for L & R surrounds, and the 150's for the two middle surrounds. I mostly use it for HT, but also some for music.
Thoughts on the 250 or 360 for LR surrounds? How would they mesh with the Kappa's?
Thanks.
post #113 of 3948 Old 10-05-2006, 09:21 AM

I got a lot of information from Infinity, via email. They have been super responsive and very helpful!
Looks like I am considering the Primus 360 for LR surrounds and Primus 150's for middle surrounds. And keep the Kappa 7.1's for the fronts.

The old surrounds I had were the SR2002's. Small bookshelf Infinity speakers. Anyone have any information on these? They would need to have the woofer reconed. Would it be worth it?

What speakers would be comparable to the Kappa 7.1's? For a street price of about a grand per speaker? ANyone have any ideas?
post #114 of 3948 Old 10-05-2006, 04:34 PM
axs
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorKane View Post

I have an older Infinity setup. LR are Kappa 7.1's. Center is Video 1. Surrounds are old Infinity bookshelfs that have been wrecked. Powered Velodyne 15" sub.
Getting a new Yamaha 2700 7.1 receiver soon and need new surrounds and middle surrounds. I was thinking of either the 250 or 360 for L & R surrounds, and the 150's for the two middle surrounds. I mostly use it for HT, but also some for music.
Thoughts on the 250 or 360 for LR surrounds? How would they mesh with the Kappa's?
Thanks.

If you are not too much into multi channel music, do you really need 360s as surround speakers?

Primus 150s/160s should be enough for surrounds and rear surrounds. FWIW, I use 150s as surround in my 5.1 setup - mainly HT. As far as music, goes I mainly listen to 2 channel music and have 360s as fronts.
post #115 of 3948 Old 10-05-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:

If you are not too much into multi channel music, do you really need 360s as surround speakers?

Primus 150s/160s should be enough for surrounds and rear surrounds. FWIW, I use 150s as surround in my 5.1 setup - mainly HT. As far as music, goes I mainly listen to 2 channel music and have 360s as fronts.

So, you think the 360's are overkill for surrounds? I am concerned about that too.
Thoughts?
post #116 of 3948 Old 10-05-2006, 09:39 PM
axs
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorKane View Post

So, you think the 360's are overkill for surrounds? I am concerned about that too.
Thoughts?

IMHO, 360s are overkill for surrounds. 150s are good and I think 160s will perhaps be better. If you like, run it by Infinity folks again to see what they think of this combination - 160s for surrounds and 150s back/rear surrounds.
post #117 of 3948 Old 10-06-2006, 07:06 AM

Thanks. Didn't know about the 160's. I'll take a look.
post #118 of 3948 Old 10-06-2006, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

IMHO, 360s are overkill for surrounds. 150s are good and I think 160s will perhaps be better. If you like, run it by Infinity folks again to see what they think of this combination - 160s for surrounds and 150s back/rear surrounds.

I agree. Remember that movie soundtracks typically don't send much bass to the surrounds anyhow.
post #119 of 3948 Old 10-07-2006, 08:33 AM
axs
AVS Special Member

Just checked CC web site and the price of 150s are now $30 after rebate.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Infin...oductDetail.do

So any one still planning to get them, should get them now. They do not seem to have any other primus line speakers any more. Must be getting close to being sold out.
post #120 of 3948 Old 10-07-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Just checked CC web site and the price of 150s are now $30 after rebate.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Infin...oductDetail.do

So any one still planning to get them, should get them now. They do not seem to have any other primus line speakers any more. Must be getting close to being sold out.

I just got two. They're pretty nice for surrounds. However, how do I apply for the rebate? No paper came with the speakers and I don't see anything on their web site to apply for the rebate, but I might have missed it.

Help anyone?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page