Infinity Primus Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 3948 Old 09-12-2006, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
At the request of some of my fellow Primus owners, I am starting this thread for general discussion of these speakers.
Post here with any comments, questions, suggestions, concerns, etc. regarding Primus speakers.
I am so pleased with my Primus 250's that I have returned to them after listening to more expensive speakers on more than one occasion. They have excellent imaging, clean highs, lifelike midrange, and much more powerful bass than one would expect for their size. They are also transparent to an astonishing degree. I can look right at them and not identify them as the source of the sound. Overall, they are outstanding even at full MSRP, and a steal on sale.
If (when) I upgrade, it will not be to improve "shortcomings" of the Primus's, but rather because I think "these are so good, imagine something even better!"
(This is without even having heard the 360's yet.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3948 Old 09-12-2006, 09:24 AM

Liked: 10
I have the 250s and C25 up front, 150s for surround and 140s for rear. Completing the setup with a PS-12. I find my setup to be on the warm side. A bright receiver like the panny SAXR57 goes very well with these speakers.

You will need a strong receiver to power these speakers. Anything less than 50 real watt will not cut it for these speakers. They're less efficient than the Paradigms I have at work.

If given the chance I would upgrade my fronts to the 360.
post #3 of 3948 Old 09-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Just last week I got the 250s and C25 to replace my front speakers, very happy with them so far. Probably going to buy the 150s to replace the surrounds this week.

How can you tell how many "real" watts a receiver has? I have a Sony DA1ES that seems to have more than enough power, just curious.

Off topic, but does anyone else find it odd how the Primus look nicer than the Betas? I really didn't like the looks of the grill on the Betas.
post #4 of 3948 Old 09-12-2006, 10:07 AM
axs
AVS Special Member

These days can't even take a short road trip without missing something
Seriously, It is great that Pulliamm started this thread. I mean his love for primus 250s are well known on this forum, so who can be better than him to start this thread.

Pulliamm, Thanks a lot.
post #5 of 3948 Old 09-12-2006, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Tebo View Post

Off topic, but does anyone else find it odd how the Primus look nicer than the Betas? I really didn't like the looks of the grill on the Betas.

I must be the only one who really likes the Beta grills. On the other hand, I like the looks of the Primus, especially the way the grills blend smoothly with the cabinet. (They look good without grills also.)
post #6 of 3948 Old 09-12-2006, 10:57 AM

My setup:

Pair of 360 fronts, C25 center channel, a pair of ES 110's in the cieling, and a PS12 subwoofer.

I absolutely love this system! I never knew what I was missing until seeing/hearing movies and football games on this system!

I am pushing it with an Onkyo 603X receiver and couldn't be happier with the results. I have Zone 2 set up on the back patio with a pair of Polk 45 outdoor spkrs.

I do have one question: What crossover setting are you guys using for the sub? I manually set my front spkr config to "small" on the receiver, and it gave me a crossover of 100hz. I backed it down to 60, and have been palying with it ever since to try to find the setting that is just right. Any suggestions?
post #7 of 3948 Old 09-12-2006, 11:18 AM
axs
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger1317 View Post

My setup:

Pair of 360 fronts, C25 center channel, a pair of ES 110's in the cieling, and a PS12 subwoofer.

I absolutely love this system! I never knew what I was missing until seeing/hearing movies and football games on this system!

I am pushing it with an Onkyo 603X receiver and couldn't be happier with the results. I have Zone 2 set up on the back patio with a pair of Polk 45 outdoor spkrs.

I do have one question: What crossover setting are you guys using for the sub? I manually set my front spkr config to "small" on the receiver, and it gave me a crossover of 100hz. I backed it down to 60, and have been palying with it ever since to try to find the setting that is just right. Any suggestions?

I have same setup except ES110. I have 150s for the surrounds.
I use 80hz for crossover and of course all speakers are set to small. Having said that there is no harm is trying different settings, keep the one which you like best. You may also like to try moving the sub at different places in the room and see if they are any better or worse. Go with the one, which sounds best to you from your main listening place/position.
post #8 of 3948 Old 09-12-2006, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Once, I A/Bed the Primus 250's with my Def Tech BP8b's ($800) in my 2-channel setup and preferred the 250's. Since then, I have gotten a new amp (Carver.) Tonight I am going to do the A/B again. If I still prefer the 250's, I will order 360's from Crutchfield for $400, and these will be my last upgrade for a long time (I hope.)
post #9 of 3948 Old 09-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

I must be the only one who really likes the Beta grills. On the other hand, I like the looks of the Primus, especially the way the grills blend smoothly with the cabinet. (They look good without grills also.)

Speaking of that, do you leave the grills on or off? I have no kids or pets, so I don't really risk doing any damage to them. Is there supposed to be a sound difference? I think they look a little better off. When I asked my girlfriend, she thought they stood out more and looked a little more "manly" with them off, but blended in better with them on.
post #10 of 3948 Old 09-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Not an owner but I have auditioned the Primus 250 and 360 and can recommend them for the price. I prefered the sound/tone from the 360's more and they seemed to image a little better. They also appear to be built and designed well.

Micah
post #11 of 3948 Old 09-12-2006, 12:45 PM
axs
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If (when) I upgrade, it will not be to improve "shortcomings" of the Primus's, but rather because I think "these are so good, imagine something even better!"
(This is without even having heard the 360's yet.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cFoo View Post

If given the chance I would upgrade my fronts to the 360.

Both of you might like 360s better. IMO, separate midrange driver made a lot of difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah3sixty View Post

Not an owner but I have auditioned the Primus 250 and 360 and can recommend them for the price. I prefered the sound/tone from the 360's more and they seemed to image a little better. They also appear to be built and designed well.

Agreed. I had both 250s and 360s for about 4-5 days and I preferred 360s.
post #12 of 3948 Old 09-12-2006, 12:51 PM
axs
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Once, I A/Bed the Primus 250's with my Def Tech BP8b's ($800) in my 2-channel setup and preferred the 250's. Since then, I have gotten a new amp (Carver.) Tonight I am going to do the A/B again. If I still prefer the 250's, I will order 360's from Crutchfield for $400, and these will be my last upgrade for a long time (I hope.)

Having liked 250s so much, I knew you couldn't resist 360s for long. We will eagerly wait for your initial impressions of 360s.
post #13 of 3948 Old 09-12-2006, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Tebo View Post

Speaking of that, do you leave the grills on or off? I have no kids or pets, so I don't really risk doing any damage to them. Is there supposed to be a sound difference? I think they look a little better off. When I asked my girlfriend, she thought they stood out more and looked a little more "manly" with them off, but blended in better with them on.

With the grills on, I tend to focus my eyes (when my eyes are open) into the space between the speakers and "see" the music. With the grills off, I tend to look at the speakers. For this reason, I usually leave them on.
If there is any difference in sound, it is too subtle for me to hear.
post #14 of 3948 Old 09-12-2006, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by axs View Post

Having liked 250s so much, I knew you couldn't resist 360s for long. We will eagerly wait for your initial impressions of 360s.

I just hope the sale price holds until I get paid (Friday.)
post #15 of 3948 Old 09-12-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:

I own the Beta 40, 360, ES250 and CSW10. I have two dogs and a one year old boy who loves to touch my equipment. Those metal grills have saved my drivers over and over again and twenty years from now, my speakers should look as good as the day I bought them.

As you all might have know by now, CC is dropping Harman and blowing out Infinity, this is a great time to buy!

Great thread PULLIAMM

"I AM WE TODD IT....I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT." -Albert Einstein
post #16 of 3948 Old 09-12-2006, 03:05 PM

Indeed great thread...I've got an Onkyo 703 pushing my 360's, 250's, C25, and a PB10 and let me say when I throw in the Old Skool Metallica it sounds like im at the show again...(well not quite but you get the point )
post #17 of 3948 Old 09-12-2006, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I am a very new owner of the Primus 360's, C25, and the 150's in the rear completing a 5.1 set-up. I also own a Mirage S12 12" powered sub to handle all of my LFE. Furthermore, processing and amplification is done via a Pioneer 1015. I just absolutely love the sound-it f*ckin rocks!!!!!

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
post #18 of 3948 Old 09-12-2006, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm about to go through this thread ..... I only hav the Primus C25 now.
I think it's OK ... but I used to have a Video-1 that I liked much more. It was 10 years old and my cat managed to knock it off it's TV and smash one of the cones.

Anyways .... I'm looking for a new setup and I think I might try keeping the C25 and work around that.

I have a room that is 20x24 in size and about 4000 sqft.

-----------------------
EDIT:
Read the whole thread! Very informative. After reading it ... I really want to keep that C25. And now I want the 360s ... but the wife will probably not allow it. She wants small speakers if any.

Would anyone recomend the 160s for the mains and the 150s for surround? Using the C25 as the center and the PS-12 sub?

Time to start measuring to see if the 360s will fit.
Primus 360
post #19 of 3948 Old 09-12-2006, 11:08 PM
axs
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kherman View Post

I'm about to go through this thread ..... I only hav the Primus C25 now.
I think it's OK ... but I used to have a Video-1 that I liked much more. It was 10 years old and my cat managed to knock it off it's TV and smash one of the cones.

Anyways .... I'm looking for a new setup and I think I might try keeping the C25 and work around that.

I have a room that is 20x24 in size and about 4000 sqft.

-----------------------
EDIT:
Read the whole thread! Very informative. After reading it ... I really want to keep that C25. And now I want the 360s ... but the wife will probably not allow it. She wants small speakers if any.

Would anyone recomend the 160s for the mains and the 150s for surround? Using the C25 as the center and the PS-12 sub?

Time to start measuring to see if the 360s will fit.
Primus 360

I replied to your new thread also. IMHO, for a room of this size, go with 360s (you already have C25 for center). 150s will be fine for surrounds. 160s (as fronts) with a decent sub should work too, though I chose 360s for my HT setup.

As for size, unless you want to wall mount 160s (in case you go with them for fronts), you will need a speaker stand and may not save much space as such.
post #20 of 3948 Old 09-13-2006, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Last night, I did the A/B comparison between my 250's and the Def Tech BP8b's. Not only did I still prefer the 250's, but I appreciate them more after doing the test.
I was reminded that the 250's have the perfect amount of bass for my room. One strike agianst the Def Techs was too much bass*, which tended to overwhelm the other frequencies. This has me thinking that trying the 360's in my room might not be such a good idea after all, as they also have much more bass than the 250's.
Instead of saying that the Primus's are "great speakers for the price", I think it is fair to say that they are simply great speakers, and also happen to be affordable.

*This begs the question: Why do the Def Techs not seem to have too much bass in my HT setup, which is in an even smaller room? Possible answers are 1) My Yamaha HT receiver doesn't put out much bass, or 2) Surround processing sends most of the bass to LFE (even with mains set to "large".)
post #21 of 3948 Old 09-13-2006, 09:58 AM

What receiver is everyone using to power their Primus?
post #22 of 3948 Old 09-13-2006, 10:28 AM
axs
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have Onkyo tx-sr504. It is a 7.1 AVR, with component video, no HDMI.
post #23 of 3948 Old 09-13-2006, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I was using Onkyo TX-8511 (stereo.) I have since moved up to a vintage Carver integrated amp (forget model #, but 100 very clean watts/ch.)
post #24 of 3948 Old 09-13-2006, 11:30 AM

I am the proud owner of a brand new pair of Primus 150's. Circuit City has them for $39.99 each after a $20 mail in rebate - ONLY ON LINE!!

I will be picking them up this afternoon after work, and testing them out with my Klipsch RF-5's, sub, and Yamaha RX-v3000. I'll probably get blasted for pairing these with the Klipsch, but I'm on a bit of a budget with the wife switching jobs, and couldn't say no to the price. Plus, all the reviews I saw were fantastic.

Placement will be an issue, but for now, I'll just be plopping them on the end tables until I figure it out.
post #25 of 3948 Old 09-13-2006, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly john View Post

I am the proud owner of a brand new pair of Primus 150's. Circuit City has them for $39.99 each after a $20 mail in rebate - ONLY ON LINE!!

I will be picking them up this afternoon after work, and testing them out with my Klipsch RF-5's, sub, and Yamaha RX-v3000. I'll probably get blasted for pairing these with the Klipsch, but I'm on a bit of a budget with the wife switching jobs, and couldn't say no to the price. Plus, all the reviews I saw were fantastic.

Placement will be an issue, but for now, I'll just be plopping them on the end tables until I figure it out.

With those big honkin' Klipsch towers, I assume you will use the 150's as surrounds? They are a good choice for that. Do yourself a favor, though, and try listening to music on them alone or with the sub. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what they can do.
For surround placement, they have "keyhole" mounting slots (if I remember correctly.)
post #26 of 3948 Old 09-13-2006, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by axs View Post

I replied to your new thread also. IMHO, for a room of this size, go with 360s (you already have C25 for center). 150s will be fine for surrounds. 160s (as fronts) with a decent sub should work too, though I chose 360s for my HT setup.

As for size, unless you want to wall mount 160s (in case you go with them for fronts), you will need a speaker stand and may not save much space as such.

Well, the one side of hte room has a bench all along it about 2 feet high. Cabinets underneath. The TV is going to sit on it with the center in front of the TV sitting o nthe bench. The bookshelfs (160s) will go on the same bench. The rears will be mounted off of some exposed beams on the ceiling.

Bigger question .... if I go with the C25 center (whcih I have) and hte 160s up front. Would it make more sens to get 160s for the rear also instead of 150s? The assumption being that the sound will be more even/balanced that way.
post #27 of 3948 Old 09-13-2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Onkyo 703
post #28 of 3948 Old 09-13-2006, 12:42 PM
axs
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kherman View Post

Well, the one side of hte room has a bench all along it about 2 feet high. Cabinets underneath. The TV is going to sit on it with the center in front of the TV sitting o nthe bench. The bookshelfs (160s) will go on the same bench. The rears will be mounted off of some exposed beams on the ceiling.

Bigger question .... if I go with the C25 center (whcih I have) and hte 160s up front. Would it make more sens to get 160s for the rear also instead of 150s? The assumption being that the sound will be more even/balanced that way.

As for placement issue, general guideline for front speakers (L/C/R) are that they should be positioned/pointed at the ear level at your main listening position. Center channel if it is mounted high or low, should be tilted to point to the ear level. Considering that do you think your front speakers (160s) will be at that level?

As for surround, they should be positioned above the ear level, so feel free to experiment with placement, till you find what is best for your room. Here is something, which you may like to take a look.

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...oomlayout.html

Regarding matching of sound between fronts and surrounds, all the speakers in the primus line are tonally matched, so 150s will be fine too. FWIW, I am using 150s for surrounds.

Hope this helps.
post #29 of 3948 Old 09-13-2006, 12:56 PM
axs
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly john View Post

Welcome to the club.

These speakers have 2 key holes at the back, so they can be wall mounted. This is from the user manual.

Quote:

"The Primus 140 and Primus 150 are designed to mount directly to a
wall. Each satellite speaker has two keyholes on the back. Each speaker
will require (2) 1-1/2," #10 wood screws fastened to a wall stud. If a
wall stud is unavailable, install an anchor appropriate for a 1-1/2,"#10
screw."

post #30 of 3948 Old 09-13-2006, 01:06 PM

Hi All...
I've been looking at the Primus 150s for my PC. I plan to dig out my old SAE R102 Receiver (50 watts per channel) and use it as my amp. I'll connect my soundcard (Audigy 2 ZS) output to the receiver input and then connect the speakers to the receiver. My primary purpose for the speakers is music, so I'm not interested in a 5.1 or 7.1 system....just a nice 2.0 or 2.1 setup will do fine.

My question is this...Is the bass on the 150s good enough or do I need to look at a subwoofer? I'm not into hip hop or any music with a lot of bass...just good hard rock-n-roll.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page