Forum Jump: 

Old 05-30-2008, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytime View Post

If you have a good subwoofer in your set-up then you shouldn't be affected by the lackluster bass response of the PC350. To me, center channels should be best at handling dialog since in movies that is what they are mostly used for. The PC350 has really good midrange for dialog so it is worth the purchase to me if it fits with your system.

And anyways, most people crossover their LFE at 80 Hz, so you shouldn't be sending your speakers anything below 80 Hz in that setup. Oh and on the PC350...make sure you have the actual room for it. I bought one and it almost didn't fit in my entertainment center rack.

I've not noticed any issues with the lack of the low end on the 350, I almost think my setup has the Dbs for the center too hgh, although multiple Audessey runs consistently set it the same. Dialog is crystal clear.

And, no kidding on the size of this beast, I ended up adding a shelf above the TV to place it, the table for the TV/Rec/DVD is not really an AV table and I couldn't figure a way to place the speaker, other than standing it on it's end next to the TV, a rather poor choice obviously. I need to measure better next time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2008, 11:27 AM

Hey everyone thank you for the helpful replies. I have now purchased P142 x2 and P152 x2. Next I'm going to get the center channel and sub. I'll use those as 5.1 until I can afford the two 362s for front, then I'll move the 142s to rear surround and the 152s to surround.

Total cost of system so far (STR-DG910 and 4 factory refurbished speakers) = $429.50
E-bay and harmanaudio.com for the win.

So here's my current dilemmas:

1) My HT room has a really weird configuration. My TV is in a corner of the room (by necessity), and my living room is open to the dining room, making the actual space much larger. The seating is a sectional couch such that if you're sitting in the corner of the sectional, your gaze is exactly perpendicular with the width of the TV, if that makes sense. Here's a pic:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jrlepage...09198327428386

Any suggestions on where to place the speakers? Sorry it's blurry, used my phone.

2) What sub would you suggest getting? I realize that it doesn't have to be Infinity and there may be better values out there, but I guess I'm a little OCD and want the speaker to be Infinity also... What size should I get so that it won't drown out the rest of my system?

3) This is a dumb question but the Sony STR-DG910 is 110 watts/channel output and the speakers are only 100W... is this a problem? Do I need to make sure not to crank it too loud? (not that I really ever do that)

4) One other dumb question - if I buy a powered sub does it matter how many watts it is? In other words can you use a 300W sub with a receiver that is 110W per channel?

Thanks again
Old 05-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlepage View Post

1) My HT room has a really weird configuration. My TV is in a corner of the room (by necessity), and my living room is open to the dining room, making the actual space much larger. The seating is a sectional couch such that if you're sitting in the corner of the sectional, your gaze is exactly perpendicular with the width of the TV, if that makes sense. Here's a pic:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jrlepage...09198327428386

Any suggestions on where to place the speakers? Sorry it's blurry, used my phone.

You really need to try to get that TV mounted above the fireplace or on the opposite wall. Placing a TV in a corner and expecting good sound from wherever you put the speaker in relation to it is an oxymoron. And where would you put the 362s without blocking access to shelving, etc.?

2) What sub would you suggest getting? I realize that it doesn't have to be Infinity and there may be better values out there, but I guess I'm a little OCD and want the speaker to be Infinity also... What size should I get so that it won't drown out the rest of my system?

Any size, from a small 8 incher to a huge double 12 incher won't drown out yours system as long as it's properly calibrated to your system. Usually larger means lower bass. How much do you want to spend on a sub?

3) This is a dumb question but the Sony STR-DG910 is 110 watts/channel output and the speakers are only 100W... is this a problem? Do I need to make sure not to crank it too loud? (not that I really ever do that)

No. Your receiver will probably run out of steam before the speakers do. Be reasonable though. Live concert volume? Probably not. But plenty, plenty loud.

4) One other dumb question - if I buy a powered sub does it matter how many watts it is? In other words can you use a 300W sub with a receiver that is 110W per channel?

Powered subs don't rely on receiver power so any size powered sub is fine.

Thanks again

I put my replies in your quote so I have to type this so it will be submitted properly.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
Old 05-31-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Hey everyone thank you for the helpful replies. I have now purchased P142 x2 and P152 x2. Next I'm going to get the center channel and sub. I'll use those as 5.1 until I can afford the two 362s for front,

If you have a Frys near you, they have them on sale again, $199.98 for a pair. This sale seems to happen about every 3 months or so. I missed out the 1st time I saw the sale, but got a pair during the last sale. Can't beat that price (not sure the online price is matched, this is for the B&M store).
Old 05-31-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
You really need to try to get that TV mounted above the fireplace or on the opposite wall. Placing a TV in a corner and expecting good sound from wherever you put the speaker in relation to it is an oxymoron. And where would you put the 362s without blocking access to shelving, etc.?

Doh I was afraid of that... To be honest there's not much chance that I could move it. Above the fireplace and across the room are spoken for. I'll see what I can do but assuming the TV has to stay where it is, any suggestions on speaker placement? Even if I have to forget the 362s and just use 160/150/140s? Can't I compensate for some of the irregular distances by adjusting individual speaker levels?

And as for the Fry's deal, I don't have one in TN and the website is showing the pair at $299... I have a friend in CA though so might see what the price is out there...
Old 05-31-2008, 05:40 PM

By the way I'd like to spend around $100 on the sub. Would the 8" Infinity sound crappy?

Gah now I'm really stressing over the TV placement... See, here's the thing. We just moved into this place and we argued and argued about where to put the TV. The couch had to be facing the fireplace, there's going to be artwork above the fireplace, etc., etc.,... the compromise ended up being a custom-built TV stand in the corner across from the sectional.

Anyway I would really appreciate anyone's suggestion if you can think outside the box and help me figure out a speaker arrangement that will work.

And good question about the 362s... I guess I sort of thought I'd put one to the left of the TV and one to the right of the fireplace somewhere. Obviously not well-thought out and maybe I should go with all bookshelf speakers...

Please help!

... Just had a thought that I should have gone with in-ceiling speakers...
Old 05-31-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:

By the way I'd like to spend around $100 on the sub. Would the 8" Infinity sound crappy?

I have the 12" one, it sounds very good, although, as mentioned previously, you can likely get a better deal with other subs (the SUB forum has lots of info). Mine came as part of a package deal so I did not look around for other ones.

Quote:

Anyway I would really appreciate anyone's suggestion if you can think outside the box and help me figure out a speaker arrangement that will work.

1. leave the TV where it is, FL left of the sliding glass door and FR right of the shelves (the ultimate in stereo separation)

2. Put the TV in front of the fireplace, FL left of fireplace, FR right of the fireplace (although that blocks access to drawers/shelves on right and shelves on left.

There aren't many good options w/o moving the TV.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the input! I'm starting to feel like I may be able to get this working... Found an encouraging article. It seems like I'm not the only one who has had this dilemma (search google for corner setups and there's lots of issues with fireplaces and windows).

Check out page 8... written by a fairly reliable source (understatement):

http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/Loudspe...ndRoomsPt1.pdf
Old 06-09-2008, 09:15 PM

I just bought my P362's this weekend. I don't want to hook them up until I get a center channel to match. The pc350 looks huge. Is this a huge upgrade over the pc250. It will be on top of a 65" rpcrt, and I sit about 15' away. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy101 View Post

I just bought my P362's this weekend. I don't want to hook them up until I get a center channel to match. The pc350 looks huge. Is this a huge upgrade over the pc250. It will be on top of a 65" rpcrt, and I sit about 15' away. Thanks.

The pc350 is a 3 way speaker and the pc250 is a two way speaker.
I have both and I can tell you that the 3 way speaker sound better and more clear. Each driver do it's job so you'll get a better sound.

3 way:1 High-Frequency Driver, 2 Mid-Frequency Drivers and 2 Low-Frequency Drivers
Crossover Frequency(ies): 650Hz, 2,800Hz; 24dB/octave

2 way: 1 High-Frequency Driver and 2 Low-Frequency Drivers
Crossover Frequency(ies): 3,000Hz; 24dB/octave
Old 06-19-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:

It is huge, get the measurements and measure! I ended up having to install an extra shelf to get a reasonable layout for the center.

There's no particular reason to wait to hook up the mains, your receiver will route the dialog to the 362s when you configure it for just 2 speakers.

It would be better to hook up enjoy your new speakers, they sound quite nice.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:39 PM

I went with the PC350. I hooked it all up a couple of days ago, and I love it. I guess I should replace my surrounds next. I might as well have a matching set.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

i've owned Primus speakers for about 4 years in a treated room and they sounded good. but i just bought the betas they are much much better. i don't understand why you guys don't go for the betas. they're dirt cheap right now. the beta 360 center is only $200. the 6.5 inch bookshelves are $100 a piece. you're not saving much going with the primus.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by union1411 View Post

i've owned Primus speakers for about 4 years in a treated room and they sounded good. but i just bought the betas they are much much better. i don't understand why you guys don't go for the betas. they're dirt cheap right now. the beta 360 center is only $200. the 6.5 inch bookshelves are $100 a piece. you're not saving much going with the primus.

In my case, I got one of those package deals for the Primus, so it worked out cheaper. Certainly, since the Betas are defunct, I would imagine the prices are falling as retailers are emptying the inventory. At the time I bought, they were still more expensive (and now I really don't feel the need to replace what I bought fairly recently). There's not much argument that the more expensive line should sound better, the question is how much, and everyone's ears are different. There's always something better, and it all comes down to what you can do at the time.

I do like the cherry finish option for the Betas and almost got them just for that
Old 06-21-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:

I went with the PC350. I hooked it all up a couple of days ago, and I love it. I guess I should replace my surrounds next. I might as well have a matching set.

Cool, I originally got the 152s as surrounds. They were later moved to be the back surrounds. They are $70 at vanns.com rght now (same as the 142s).
Old 06-23-2008, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Are the Primus 252 or 362 good "rock" speakers? I'm looking for a pair of not-so-big tower speakers that have a very accurate tone (i.e, voices, etc. sound natural, not boxy, etc.), and have VERY good bass and dynamics for rock music and movie soundtracks. Imaging and finite detail are not that important. I prefer a slightly laid back midrange rather than one that is "in your face". Do these Primus speakers fit the bill? I neither have nor want a subwoofer. The 362 would be pushing it as far as their big size. 252 would be MUCH better, but I'm worried about their bass capabilites. Unfortunately, no one around me sells these so I can't audition them Last by not least, should I look instead at the BETA series? I need to stay under $500, way under, if possible
Old 06-25-2008, 10:25 PM

LOVE my Infinity RS8s, but they're getting OLD

best part is they have a self-powered 8" sub in each cabinet...they will be missed (OR bumped back as rears )

you guys think this Primus P362 will be a major improvement?
Old 06-26-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlasttoy View Post

LOVE my Infinity RS8s, but they're getting OLD.
best part is they have a self-powered 8" sub in each cabinet...they will be missed (OR bumped back as rears )

Hard to say, the woofers in the 362s at 5.25", non-powered, so I do wonder if you would get the same punch from them. Since I have a SW in my setup, this is not so much a concern for me. I do enjoy their sound, and if you can get them for the sale price, it's hard to beat that deal.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:28 AM

oh yeah I forgot to mention i DO have a big ole' 12" Velodyne sub..so Im hoping the P362s step it up in the rest of the frequency department
Old 06-26-2008, 11:39 AM

I just got my x2 P362's from Frys recently.

I also ordered a Onkyo TX-606 receiver... It should be good enough to power these speakers right?
Old 06-26-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demenion View Post

they're black right?
Old 06-26-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:

they're black right?

Yes.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

LOVE my Infinity RS8s, but they're getting OLD...

Wow, I almost bought those many years ago, but Overture 3s became available at a ridiculous price. They were one of the first Harman/Infinity speakers (maybe the 2000.8 was earlier). The look/appearance carried over to the Overtures and Preludes. Don't know how the sound compared. Do those use the polypropylene mids and silk dome tweeter? Oh, and age should never be an issue as long as the speaker is performing well. Sometimes (every 15 years or so) the capacitors in the crossover dry out and need replaced in order to restore the sound to its original glory.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
Old 06-26-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:

I also ordered a Onkyo TX-606 receiver... It should be good enough to power these speakers right?

I have a pair of P362's and Onkyo 505. No problem at all.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:

they're black right?

It seems the silver grilles are no longer produced, when I got my from Vann's they were transitioning to the all black, and it turns out i got a mixture. So I think even without 362B, you still get the black grilles.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:

I have a 605 driving 4 362s, so yeah, you'll be ok
Old 06-26-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBright View Post

Wow, I almost bought those many years ago, but Overture 3s became available at a ridiculous price. They were one of the first Harman/Infinity speakers (maybe the 2000.8 was earlier). The look/appearance carried over to the Overtures and Preludes. Don't know how the sound compared. Do those use the polypropylene mids and silk dome tweeter? Oh, and age should never be an issue as long as the speaker is performing well. Sometimes (every 15 years or so) the capacitors in the crossover dry out and need replaced in order to restore the sound to its original glory.

Same reason I'm updating...RIDICULOUS PRICE!

Yeah the R8s were/are awesome...cant wait to hook up the P362s & do the Pepsi challenge!

(and yes i THINK they use polypropylene mids and a silk dome tweeter)

of course this starts the domino effect & now Im thinking up updating my center (Infinity CC3...its also been great) to the Primus PC350

somebody stop the madness!
Old 06-26-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rensselaer80 View Post

It seems the silver grilles are no longer produced, when I got my from Vann's they were transitioning to the all black, and it turns out i got a mixture. So I think even without 362B, you still get the black grilles.

i only ask cuz crutchfield has a good price on the center PC350, but only on the silver one...wonder if it'll bother me to have mismatched speakers
Old 06-27-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:

i only ask cuz crutchfield has a good price on the center PC350, but only on the silver one...wonder if it'll bother me to have mismatched speakers

You can order just the grilles from Harmon directly (if they don't list it, just email them and ask), search back in the thread, I had posted something about this a while ago. Their prices are not all that good though (seemed overly expensive), a can of spray paint is cheaper
Old 06-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

of course this starts the domino effect & now Im thinking up updating my center (Infinity CC3...its also been great) to the Primus PC350 !

Yeah, I still have my CC3 in storage. I think the PC350 will be a significant upgrade. Good as it is the CC3 is no match for the newer 3-way centers from Infinity. The insanity never stops. Upgraditis is an incurable disease.

User Tag List