KEF Owners Thread - Page 101 - AVS Forum
First ... 99  100  101 102  103  ... Last
Speakers > KEF Owners Thread
SJHT's Avatar SJHT 09:05 AM 10-29-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666monkeyboy View Post

If that's not a vote of confidence then I don't know what is! Always a nice surprise when you discover little things like that in your system, makes you think maybe I'm not that mad to have spent all that cash on all this gear

The Fathom will be the next thing I look into.

What Denon do you have driving your 205's?

I have the Denon AVP/POA combo. SJ

ah_hin's Avatar ah_hin 11:14 AM 10-29-2009
Hi everyone,
I am able to get the iq30 for $356, is this a good price? or you guys have had better price?

Thanks

edit: i have decided to get the iq30, and would like to get a center channel as well, will iq2c not be a good match with the iq30?
will the iq30 overwhelm the iq2c?
JohnNY-C's Avatar JohnNY-C 03:42 AM 10-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_hin View Post

Hi everyone,
I am able to get the iq30 for $356, is this a good price? or you guys have had better price?

Thanks

edit: i have decided to get the iq30, and would like to get a center channel as well, will iq2c not be a good match with the iq30?
will the iq30 overwhelm the iq2c?

I would save up for the iq60c because it's a perfect match with the iQ30. I had a pair of iQ30s with an iQ60c (retired the 30s to the back and put iQ90s up front), and, once properly set-up, sounded great as an L/C/R combo. I'm still impressed by my iQ60's clarity and off-axis response.
JohnNY-C's Avatar JohnNY-C 03:50 AM 10-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hector1403 View Post

Does anyone have any information on speakers break-in period ?

I found this interesting article at one of the yahoo forums about speaker's break-in period:...
-----------------------------------------------
The break in on speakers can range from 50 hours to 250 hours, depending on the size, make and model of speakers, on a nice set of bookshelfs, I would say that after 100 to 150 hours of use, they will sound noticeably better than they do out of the box.

-----------------------------------------------
Full article can be read at the following link:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9211033AA79lix

Any comments, if any of this is true ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiefast View Post

There are varying opinions on this in the forum. Some say there is a break-in some say, it's just placebo.


I believe that, "speaker break-in," is your mind's response to logging more critical hours with your set-up. They probably sound great if you're overcome by these feelings.
mohmony's Avatar mohmony 04:32 AM 10-30-2009
I am thinking of IQ8D's for my surrounds; Does anyone have any feedback/comments about these?
My LCR is IQ90/IQ60C
joen05's Avatar joen05 10:55 AM 10-30-2009
subiefast, could you let me know what kind of wire raceway you used? I'm looking to hide mine and I don't want to drill into the walls. I should have had the house pre-wired.. but wasn't thinking about that at the time!

Also... did you bi-wire or bi-amp your fronts? I couldn't tell from the pictures.
subiefast's Avatar subiefast 04:34 PM 10-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by joen05 View Post

subiefast, could you let me know what kind of wire raceway you used? I'm looking to hide mine and I don't want to drill into the walls. I should have had the house pre-wired.. but wasn't thinking about that at the time!

Also... did you bi-wire or bi-amp your fronts? I couldn't tell from the pictures.

I used wiremate brand, which I picked up at lowes hardware.

I didn't bi-wire or bi-amp the front. I just did a single wire with banana plugs. I used to have it bi-amped through the receiver before I bought my external amp.
lightguy's Avatar lightguy 08:24 PM 10-30-2009
I'm looking for a single or pair of iQ3's.
LMK by PM or email.
I have a pair of IQ3's as rears and they can and do use the iQ1 wall mounts. Small gap between the bracket and speaker but livable.
At 15 lbs vs 10 for the iQ1's make sure you have a solid stud to mount too. Upsize the mount screws in the speaker and wall.
lightguy's Avatar lightguy 08:26 PM 10-30-2009
BTW these KEF series iQ1/2/3/5/6/7/9 speakers are killer $ vs sound.
exm's Avatar exm 09:57 AM 10-31-2009
Thought you guys would like this one... Kef Reference Series Two, Three and Four. Going to sell the Three's and keeping the Two's as side speakers (although I was considering keeping the Three's as sides but that would probably be a bit overkill)


sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim 02:48 PM 10-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Thought you guys would like this one... Kef Reference Series Two, Three and Four. Going to sell the Three's and keeping the Two's as side speakers (although I was considering keeping the Three's as sides but that would probably be a bit overkill)


Nice. You'd probably be amazed at how different those speakers sound from the current metal-domed KEFs.
exm's Avatar exm 03:14 PM 10-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Nice. You'd probably be amazed at how different those speakers sound from the current metal-domed KEFs.

Have you tested both? Can you elaborate about the differences (out of curiosity)? The Ref 4s sound awesome and with the twin 10" woofers they go flat to 35hz. They sound awesome.
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim 03:31 PM 10-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Have you tested both? Can you elaborate about the differences (out of curiosity)? The Ref 4s sound awesome and with the twin 10" woofers they go flat to 35hz. They sound awesome.

I have heard both. The older KEFs have a different sound. Worse? No, not necessarily. Better? No, not necessarily. Different.
exm's Avatar exm 03:58 PM 10-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

I have heard both. The older KEFs have a different sound. Worse? No, not necessarily. Better? No, not necessarily. Different.

Thanks... I think I'll stick with my Ref 4s until they die Whatever 'different' is, it can't be that much better
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim 04:09 PM 10-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Thanks... I think I'll stick with my Ref 4s until they die Whatever 'different' is, it can't be that much better

Your speakers sound great.
mohmony's Avatar mohmony 01:55 PM 11-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohmony View Post

I am thinking of IQ8D's for my surrounds; Does anyone have any feedback/comments about these?
My LCR is IQ90/IQ60C

Keeping it alive - Some one should have a pair of IQ8D's... !!!
joen05's Avatar joen05 02:17 PM 11-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohmony View Post

Keeping it alive - Some one should have a pair of IQ8D's... !!!

I was thinking about these.. someone recommended dipole speakers to me, not specifically the KEFs though. I went with IQ30s instead....
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim 02:50 PM 11-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohmony View Post

Keeping it alive - Some one should have a pair of IQ8D's... !!!

Just my opinion, but I would stick with direct radiating monopoles for your 'surround' speakers.
ab2ab's Avatar ab2ab 12:28 PM 11-05-2009
I couldn't find out if this question has been asked but which would be a better set-up for the front soundstage:

(2) IQ30's with the IQ60c, or;

(2) IQ10's with the IQ60c. I mention the IQ10's because they have the same size driver (5.25") as the IQ60, whereas the IQ30's driver is 6.25". Does that matter at all?

By the way, I will be running a sub and Audyssey room correction software from a Denon 3808.

Thanks for your help!!
joen05's Avatar joen05 12:34 PM 11-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2ab View Post

I couldn't find out if this question has been asked but which would be a better set-up for the front soundstage:

(2) IQ30's with the IQ60c, or;

(2) IQ10's with the IQ60c. I mention the IQ10's because they have the same size driver (5.25") as the IQ60, whereas the IQ30's driver is 6.25". Does that matter at all?

By the way, I will be running a sub and Audyssey room correction software from a Denon 3808.

Thanks for your help!!

Is money or space an issue? If not, you may want to look at the floorstanding Q series for your front soundstage.
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim 01:53 PM 11-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2ab View Post

I couldn't find out if this question has been asked but which would be a better set-up for the front soundstage:

(2) IQ30's with the IQ60c, or;

(2) IQ10's with the IQ60c. I mention the IQ10's because they have the same size driver (5.25") as the IQ60, whereas the IQ30's driver is 6.25". Does that matter at all?

No, it doesn't matter. Either way would be fine. Even though the iQ60c is equipped with 5.25" drivers, it has 3 of them; two dedicated solely to lower frequencies. Bear in mind that the iQ60c is the largest center-channel choice for pairing with the even larger tower speakers in the iQ line-up. If money is no object, get the iQ30s.

Something to strongly consider, though, would be using 3 iQ30s for your front soundstage. This would be ideal. I realize they are sold only in pairs, but in briefly perusing the web it looks to me like you could buy a pair of iQ30s for a very similar price to an iQ60c. And you may be able to find someone who also wants a single iQ30 for a center speaker.

Where were you planning on purchasing your speakers?
ab2ab's Avatar ab2ab 02:17 PM 11-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

No, it doesn't matter. Either way would be fine. Even though the iQ60c is equipped with 5.25" drivers, it has 3 of them; two dedicated solely to lower frequencies. Bear in mind that the iQ60c is the largest center-channel choice for pairing with the even larger tower speakers in the iQ line-up. If money is no object, get the iQ30s.

Something to strongly consider, though, would be using 3 iQ30s for your front soundstage. This would be ideal. I realize they are sold only in pairs, but in briefly perusing the web it looks to me like you could buy a pair of iQ30s for a very similar price to an iQ60c. And you may be able to find someone who also wants a single iQ30 for a center speaker.

Where were you planning on purchasing your speakers?

Great!! Thank you for the information! I don't have a specific timetable for purchasing speakers but the KEF's IQ, Atlantic Tech, and B&W's have made my short list, with the KEF's being in the lead due to affordability. I could do the IQ50's but if I'm using a sub, I'm wondering if there's any appreciable benefit over the IQ30's. I suppose I could could just disable the SW when I'm listening to 2-channel music or source direct (Denon's) with the towers. Hmmm...

BTW, if the IQ60c were a bit less in cost, I'd go with 3 of those for my front soundstage. Boy, that would look simply awesome with my set-up too!!!
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim 02:41 PM 11-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2ab View Post

BTW, if the IQ60c were a bit less in cost, I'd go with 3 of those for my front soundstage.

Well, just realize that the only reason that might be a reasonable option is because of the KEF's coincidentally arrayed UniQ driver. With just about any other center channel design, using 3 of them for your front 3 would not be too advisable.

Why is 3 iQ30s not an option?
ab2ab's Avatar ab2ab 03:18 PM 11-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Well, just realize that the only reason that might be a reasonable option is because of the KEF's coincidentally arrayed UniQ driver. With just about any other center channel design, using 3 of them for your front 3 would not be too advisable.

Why is 3 iQ30s not an option?

I won't say that it's not an option, I'll just have to think of a creative way to accommodate a vertical Center Channel.

So would you choose 3 iQ30s over 2 iq30s and the iq60?
subiefast's Avatar subiefast 03:20 PM 11-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2ab View Post

Great!! Thank you for the information! I don't have a specific timetable for purchasing speakers but the KEF's IQ, Atlantic Tech, and B&W's have made my short list, with the KEF's being in the lead due to affordability. I could do the IQ50's but if I'm using a sub, I'm wondering if there's any appreciable benefit over the IQ30's. I suppose I could could just disable the SW when I'm listening to 2-channel music or source direct (Denon's) with the towers. Hmmm...

BTW, if the IQ60c were a bit less in cost, I'd go with 3 of those for my front soundstage. Boy, that would look simply awesome with my set-up too!!!

The iq5's are 3 ways while the iq3s are not.
ab2ab's Avatar ab2ab 03:24 PM 11-05-2009
So Sivadselim, what do you think of this statement I made a couple of posts up: "I could do the IQ50's but if I'm using a sub, I'm wondering if there's any appreciable benefit over the IQ30's. I suppose I could could just disable the SW when I'm listening to 2-channel music or source direct (Denon's) with the towers."

I guess I'm interested in your take on bookshelves with a sub v. towers (with or without a sub).

Thanks!

By the way, this is one of the more informative threads I've seen around here in a long time. Great group participation without going too far off topic!! Kudos to all participants!!
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim 04:30 PM 11-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2ab View Post

So would you choose 3 iQ30s over 2 iq30s and the iq60?

If I could accommodate it, I would.


Quote:
Originally Posted by subiefast View Post

The iq5's are 3 ways while the iq3s are not.

The iQ50s are 2.5-ways. The difference is important. The UniQ driver is not high-passed as it would be in a 3-way. It is unclear, but I think that the UniQ driver in the iQ50 is in a sealed compartment so its low-end performance requirements should be controlled and dictated by that (provided the speaker is designed properly). In other words, even though it is not high-passed, it is probably not asked to do as much as it would be were it in a ported compartment like the iQ10. Still, though, it isn't high-passed like it is in the iQ5s.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2ab View Post

So Sivadselim, what do you think of this statement I made a couple of posts up: "I could do the IQ50's but if I'm using a sub, I'm wondering if there's any appreciable benefit over the IQ30's. I suppose I could could just disable the SW when I'm listening to 2-channel music or source direct (Denon's) with the towers."

I guess I'm interested in your take on bookshelves with a sub v. towers (with or without a sub).

That's a kind of tough one, actually. Subiefast may be able to offer some advice. If you were asking about the iQ10s and iQ50s, it would, obviously, be a little bit easier comparison. The iQ30s are spec'd as being 1dB more sensitive and capable of 1dB more output, both of which are probably negligible differences. THe iQ50 is spec'd to go lower (45Hz versus 40Hz). For use with a sub, price differences aside, I think it is probably a wash. The iQ30s will require a stand. The iQ50 has more total driver area but both drivers will not be contributing equally, so that is not really informative (although not necessarily misleading, either). That's probably why it has the very slightly higher (and also negligible) power handling rating. IIRC, subiefast may have had to make a similar decision when he chose his iQ5s. I think he found the iQ5s to be a smaller speaker than he expected.

Of course you CAN listen to the speakers in direct mode no matter which speakers you choose. Just because you choose the iQ50s, though, doesn't mean you MUST listen to them that way. Now, if you think you WILL specifically use them that way, then I think it IS a consideration. In that case, I think that the iQ50s MIGHT be the correct choice because they go a little deeper but, again, it is still almost a wash.

It may just come down to aesthetics.
subiefast's Avatar subiefast 04:39 PM 11-05-2009
Did they change from 3 way to 2.5 way with the transition from iq5 to iq50?

First sentence here is that the iq5 is a true three way speaker

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=31330

Then when I checked on the kef site, it said the iq50 is a 2.5 way speaker.

Also with the extra driver, shouldn't it alleviate stress from the other driver to play a bit cleaner?
subiefast's Avatar subiefast 04:41 PM 11-05-2009
I've never personally heard, and iq3 or iq30. I only own iq5s, and iq1s. I previously owned an iq6c, but replaced it with an iq5 for the center. I was going back and forth between the iq3, and iq5. With the need to buy stands, the price was very close so I went with the more expensive speakers and didn't have to buy stands.
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim 04:57 PM 11-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by subiefast View Post

Did they change from 3 way to 2.5 way with the transition from iq5 to iq50?

According to their respective manuals, yes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by subiefast View Post

Also with the extra driver, shouldn't it alleviate stress from the other driver to play a bit cleaner?

But there is no crossover there between the upper and lower driver to parse the load based upon frequency, so there is no alleviation from stress in that respect. As I was saying, the only alleviation from stress relative to the iQ10 MIGHT come from the iQ50's UniQ driver being in a sealed compartment. So, what is required of it on the low-end MAY be naturally limited by that and the way it was designed and tuned.
Tags: Kef , Kef Audio , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair
First ... 99  100  101 102  103  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop