post #361 of 6826 Old 08-05-2007, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlazoff View Post

If only Sanus made a KEF-specific cadenza too -- a top with a little hole in the middle for the hypertweeter to peek through.

Any one seen/heard the new XQs?

Marjorie

What new "XQs"???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6826 Old 08-06-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post

What new "XQs"???

I think they're coming..................

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #363 of 6826 Old 08-07-2007, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

I think they're coming..................

Based on what info?
post #364 of 6826 Old 08-07-2007, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee83 View Post

Is there a general consensus here whether KEFs mate well with Onkyo or Denon receivers? I have a vintage set of KEF Q-90 full towers, 100c (center), and Q-60 surrounds. I'm about to purchase the new Onkyo 805 receiver (130x7), but wanted to confirm how others have their setup. The new Denon 3808ci (130x7) is flirting with my decisions. Would you vintage KEF owners rather mate KEFs with Denon or Onkyo receivers (disregarding the price difference)?

I doubt anyone is going to even touch that question.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #365 of 6826 Old 08-12-2007, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought the KEF KHT 3005 speaker set, and an Onkyo TX-SR705.

The satellites and center speakers sound great, but the sub (HTB2) doesn't push any bass to speak of. I can tell it's on, but it doesn't come close to making the room have strong bass sound; my 8-year-old Camry dealer-installed speakers push more bass.

I have tried the Onkyo auto-eq, crossover frequencies from 80 - 120, flipping the phase switch, moving the sub around the room, and even got a new cable.

Has anyone had success getting this HTB2 subwoofer to actually sound good?

I mistakenly tried out a Bose Acoustimass system (which I hated and returned), but at least that system made you know there was a sub in the room.

Thanks for any advice you can provide me with getting this sub to work.
post #366 of 6826 Old 08-14-2007, 09:25 AM

I just purchased a KHT2005.2 at circuit city through my significant other's credit card (better rate). Do you know if this is going to be a problem with obtaining warranty service since the name on the receipt is not mine (do they id check for warranty service or just receipt check?).
post #367 of 6826 Old 08-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by djay_supreme View Post

Oh well...should I be surprised about this?

Since the 2005s aren't new, the only place I'm able to find these stands is vanns.com. Surprisingly, Circuit City (where I bought the speakers) only carries 3005 stands. Any other sites?

CC in SoCal actually carried a couple boxes of the 2005.2 stands, but I had opted not to get them because of cost and I had already found specific stands I wanted.

I didn't think I was going to run into an issue when buying Sanus Hover stands. I can tell you, late lastnight, I found a way to mount them without any customizing, although not sure it was meant to work this way? In the base of the speaker, there is a rub plug cover (oval shaped) and it does nothing but cover a hole in the base (what was this hole meant for?). I noticed that is is about center to the base and goes all the way through. So, the Sanus stand has numerous adapters and one is a small plate with two side holes and one center drilled. With one of the thumb/hex bolts Sanus provided, it slid through the speaker base and the stand mount plate, with room to spare. I tightened it up with a nuts that came with the stands and it is holding it down. I first thought that 'thumb bolt' would have fell through the hole, but there seems to be the slightest lip within the speaker base that keeps it from sliding through, which saved me from either returning the speakers or returning the stands and buying the KEF stands (I hate to be tied down to something specific). I would imagine any bolt with a head large enough to keep from sliding through the hole and is long enough, would work just fine.

Hope this helps.
post #368 of 6826 Old 08-18-2007, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Finally received my new KEF Reference 202/2c to match with my 205/2s. Sounds just fantastic. One hefty center channel. But the cost... frightening ... SJ
post #369 of 6826 Old 08-19-2007, 04:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post

Finally received my new KEF Reference 202/2c to match with my 205/2s. Sounds just fantastic. One hefty center channel. But the cost... frightening ... SJ

Shuddup!!!

I'm jealous.

post #370 of 6826 Old 08-19-2007, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Shuddup!!!

I'm jealous.

Well, at least I didn't get the 204/2c.
post #371 of 6826 Old 08-19-2007, 11:08 AM

hi, i've been trawling avs for the past few months dreaming about putting together a new system now i'm finally reading to start buying and hoped to ask you guys for some advice as i'm really keen on KEF.

though i'm no audiophile, i've been into stereos and computers and every other sort of gadget since a very young age so i like to think i can recognize quality. but i never appreciated quality speakers enough to get some for myself until about a year ago. i was setting up a system for a client for which i'd decided to go with a pair of iQ5's. after setting them up with a denon PMA-700AE amp and listening to a blues album i was blown away. ever since i've been wanting some of my own, so i've got a couple questions i was hoping someone could help me with.

i was originally committed to the iQ5's i played with last summer but after shopping around a bit in hong kong, i don't think i'll be able to get them for a reasonable price. i wanted something three-way and floor standing, but have been tempted by this thread to go with the iQ3's instead - what will i be sacrificing?

i'll probably be buying a pair of speakers and a receiver (and maybe a sub) as the first part of a full 5.1 or 7.1 system that i'd eventually like to have. if i go with the iQ3's, is a sub more crucial (and any suggestions for a cheaper sub option?) i'll mostly be listening to music (somewhat bass heavy), with some movies and gaming. the room, by the way, is quite small...probably 300ish sq. ft.

lastly, i've been poking around here on some of the receiver threads and it seems that the new onkyo 605 is a pretty good buy right now...any thoughts/experiences on how it pairs with KEF's iQ's? and also, will there be a big difference in sound pairing the speakers with a "receiver" (like the 605) rather than a "powered amplifier" such as the denon PMA series?

thanks a lot in advance, a lot of questions for a relatively low end system, i really appreciate the help.
post #372 of 6826 Old 08-20-2007, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

why do you even need a center channel? The Kef's sweet spot (when set up right) is large enough where you don't even need it. It sounds much better that way too.
post #373 of 6826 Old 08-20-2007, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

why do you even need a center channel? The Kef's sweet spot (when set up right) is large enough where you don't even need it. It sounds much better that way too.

There are a lot of reasons to run a proper center channel speaker.

post #374 of 6826 Old 08-20-2007, 01:34 PM

How do the 3005s measure up? Was looking at other options but the 3005s seems to keep rising to the top. However,
these babies are expensive.
post #375 of 6826 Old 08-20-2007, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are a lot of reasons to run a proper center channel speaker.

If it doesn't sound as good, who cares?? It was obviously too difficult for you to name your "reasons"...
post #376 of 6826 Old 08-20-2007, 08:24 PM

I am interested in the 2005.2 system. I looked at it at CC today but they had it listed as the 2005IIMP system. From looking at KEF website the only difference I can see in the one at CC and what they show as the 2005.2 system is the subwoofer. The CC system sub is square, the one on the kef website looks to be square with a sloped or angled top.
CC has this 2005IIMP system at $599 right now.
Is this the same or comparable system as the 2005.2?
post #377 of 6826 Old 08-21-2007, 02:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

If it doesn't sound as good, who cares?? It was obviously too difficult for you to name your "reasons"...

If you think it sounds better without a center, that's super. But, hey, you know what? Who cares?

post #378 of 6826 Old 08-21-2007, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Guess everyone has their own opinion. I prefer having a center (especially for movies as approximately 70% of the material goes there...). KEF certainly has a sweet spot, but if you are sitting to one side of my theater, it isn't THAT wide (for my setup). SJ
post #379 of 6826 Old 08-21-2007, 03:09 PM

While you girls were fighting over whether a center channel is needed or not I figured out the answer to my question above, so your KEF expertise is no longer required.
post #380 of 6826 Old 08-21-2007, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoldstarnolds View Post

While you girls were fighting over whether a center channel is needed or not I figured out the answer to my question above, so your KEF expertise is no longer required.

Dang!!!! How'd you know I was a girl!?!?!?!?!?

And what was the answer?

post #381 of 6826 Old 08-22-2007, 05:46 PM

CC 2005IIMP is the exact same thing as the 2005.2. I checked that with KEF. Something about giving CC their own SKU.
Bought the set at CC last night through the web and picked them up today. $499 plus tax. $500 off what they were listed as on the site. I listened to them yesterday hooked up to an Onkyo 705. Sounded great for a set of small speakers and the sub seemed to put out pretty decent bass. I am no audiophile so did not need a $3000 set of speakers. Cannot hear worth a chit anymore either.
Waiting on my Sony STR-DG1000 reciever to arrive so I can hook it all up. Bought the Sony over the Onkyo or Denon because I had enough points on my SonyCard to cover it. Made that an easy decision.
post #382 of 6826 Old 08-23-2007, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I too just bought the 2005.2 at CC for $499 today. I ordered the Onkyo 705 today from JR's at a good price and free shipping. Should be up and running next weekend!
post #383 of 6826 Old 08-23-2007, 06:03 PM

I unboxed and set up my 2005.2 system tonight even though I do not have the av receiver yet.
I have what is a novice question. I have to admit I have been using a Bose 321 system the last two years. Feel better that is off my chest!
The sub has a left in and right in connection as well as left high pass output and right high pass output. I thought I just would hook up one rca cable from the reciever sub out to the sub.
How do I hook this up when I get my receiver?
post #384 of 6826 Old 08-23-2007, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I unboxed and set up my 2005.2 system tonight even though I do not have the av receiver yet.
I have what is a novice question. I have to admit I have been using a Bose 321 system the last two years. Feel better that is off my chest!
The sub has a left in and right in connection as well as left high pass output and right high pass output. I thought I just would hook up one rca cable from the reciever sub out to the sub.
How do I hook this up when I get my receiver?

Do the intructions not say how to connect it? Most likely you can connect to either of the sub's inputs, right or left

post #385 of 6826 Old 08-23-2007, 06:37 PM

Instructions are not the most robust I have ever seen.
I found a picture of the back of the Sony receiver that is on the way and it shows a single preamp out for the sub. Seems your solution is the only option. Hook it up to either the right or left I guess.
post #386 of 6826 Old 08-23-2007, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Instructions are not the most robust I have ever seen.
I found a picture of the back of the Sony receiver that is on the way and it shows a single preamp out for the sub. Seems your solution is the only option. Hook it up to either the right or left I guess.

That's how it's usually done.

post #387 of 6826 Old 08-23-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckJ View Post

How do the 3005s measure up? Was looking at other options but the 3005s seems to keep rising to the top. However,
these babies are expensive.

Chuck - I'm using the 3005s and am very happy with them for my home theater setup, as are a number of other people on the forum. I will eventually get a higher end audio setup, but these have taken the pressure off to do that for now.

As for the cost of these ... definitely shop around, they can be found for about 2/3 of the msrp.
post #388 of 6826 Old 08-24-2007, 04:15 PM

I have recently bought KEF: IQ9 x 2, IQ8 x 4 and IQ6 x 1 speakers from online retailer. Hooked it up to Onkyo 805 A/V receiver with subwoofer from SVS 16-46 PCI (http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-pcpow1.cfm).

I am sure, that there are other brands of speakers that cost more and sound better, but for the price, eye pleasing and sound quality, I think that KEF are the best speakers out there!

One thing, that I was somewhat disapointed, is that not enough supporting material/technical documents came in the package of each speaker.
post #389 of 6826 Old 08-24-2007, 04:28 PM

Regarding hooking up the subwoofer.
What is the point of having a left and right signal in connection if the recommendation is to just hook up to the left in?
I contacted KEF and they told me the same thing, hook it up to the left in.
Why provide a left and right if there is not use for it?

There are also left and right high pass out connections on the back of the subwoofer.
Are these to pass the signal to a second subwooofer if used?
post #390 of 6826 Old 08-24-2007, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Regarding hooking up the subwoofer.
What is the point of having a left and right signal in connection if the recommendation is to just hook up to the left in?
I contacted KEF and they told me the same thing, hook it up to the left in.
Why provide a left and right if there is not use for it?

There are also left and right high pass out connections on the back of the subwoofer.
Are these to pass the signal to a second subwooofer if used?

They're both there for connecting the subwoofer to a receiver or pre-amp's left and right pre-outs. There are various reasons someone might want to do this, the most obvious being when they are only connecting their sub for a 2.1 system to a non-HT receiver (doesn't have a dedicated mono subwoofer output).

The R/L speaker-level conections are pretty self explanatory and are there for connecting a receiver or pre-amp that doesn't have pre-outs to the subwoofer via the receivr or pre-amp's R/L speaker outputs. The high-pass outputs enable somone to connect a pair of speakers to the subwoofer if the high-pass inputs are being used which allows the subwoofer's internal corssover to be applied to the speakers. Again, this is useful when utilizing a receiver or pre-amp that has no built-in ability to apply a crossover to its output.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page