KEF Owners Thread - Page 163 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4861 of 6760 Old 03-25-2012, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking at the same receiver. Which speakers do you have? How do you like the sound off of the denon?

LG 55LK520
Denon 3311
Denon bdp 1611
KEF Q200c
KEF Q300s L/R
Bic Pl200

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 6760 Old 03-25-2012, 09:54 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post

OK I just checked, the Yami can play PuRe Direct when watching movies. I made sure there was no phantom channel, the center was doing the work the center signal intended it to do. I tested this by disconnecting the front L+R channels & hearing the center.

I spent 2 hours today watching The Mummy even though I didnt intend to, just to check out the center. I am once again underwhelmed by its performance. Dialogs are ok, anything else sounds weak & gutless; for the lack of better words. Ever heard a shotgun sound like a pistol? The Q900s & Q300 on the other hand, man o man the surround sphere they create is captivating!

Thanks I appreciate the push, I am going to call AC4L & see what they can do or would it be a better idea to call Kef directly? I am in NJ & so are they so shipping to them shouldnt be too bad or I can just drop it off I want to at least have them check it out. Unfortunately I am out of the 30 day return window so exchanging for another unit is out of the question.

I just want to reiterate that unfortunately your Q600c must be defective. Just to test I have spent the last 45 minutes listening to music and part of a movie with only (unplugged everything else) my Q600c, first as the center, then as left and right. It has very full, solid low-end and fills the room all by itself. Got me wondering what Q600c's as L/R fronts would sound like...
post #4863 of 6760 Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzjas View Post

I am looking at the same receiver. Which speakers do you have? How do you like the sound off of the denon?

iQ90 Mains
iQ60c Center
iQ30 Surrounds

I purchased my 3311 prior to purchasing my KEFs. My father has a slightly older 3305 that works really well with his Infinity speakers. When I decided to replace my aging Snells, I went to the same place I purchased the 3311 to audition some speakers. My sales rep knew I had previously purchased the Denon and immediately suggested I audition the KEFs. He stated that he's repeatedly recommended the KEF and Denon combination, with many customers with great success. Mind you, I'm not one for a sales guy's bs so I was a bit skeptical.

Having never heard KEFs before, I decided to give them a shot. I was immediately impressed by warmth and clarity of the demo material that was played. I auditioned several other brand of speakers, but kept coming back to the KEFs. Since I'm a repeat customer, I received a great deal on one of the last few sets of KEFs as detailed above. I couldn't be happier.
post #4864 of 6760 Old 03-26-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzjas View Post

Got a quick question for you guys. I recently found a hum coming from my amp and am thinking about replacing the amp and my receiver and just going with a dedicated receiver. (odd i know). Just curious what receivers some of you are running with your KEF Q series. Maybe some suggestions as to what to look into as well.

marantz sr5005 here with the q900, q600c and q300s.. i have also recently upgraded to a emotiva xpa 5 so I'm just using the marantz as a pre/pro but its a great sounding combination with or without the emotiva.
post #4865 of 6760 Old 03-26-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRoyal View Post

I just want to reiterate that unfortunately your Q600c must be defective. Just to test I have spent the last 45 minutes listening to music and part of a movie with only (unplugged everything else) my Q600c, first as the center, then as left and right. It has very full, solid low-end and fills the room all by itself. Got me wondering what Q600c's as L/R fronts would sound like...

to add to this, as i mentioned earlier, the kef q300 has padded eq curve in the sub 1k hz frequencies by design from kef, while that may sound better to some people (i personally like how it sounds as well) the comparison with the 600c might not be a fair one, because iirc the q600c is set up differently than the q300..

here is a pic from kef, showing the sound graphs with the port plugged or not.

post #4866 of 6760 Old 03-26-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRoyal View Post

Got me wondering what Q600c's as L/R fronts would sound like...

Probably great. I don't know whether you'd want the active driver at the top or the PR at the top, though. Hmmm.............

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #4867 of 6760 Old 03-26-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by cream puff View Post

to add to this, as i mentioned earlier, the kef q300 has padded eq curve in the sub 1k hz frequencies by design from kef, while that may sound better to some people (i personally like how it sounds as well) the comparison with the 600c might not be a fair one, because iirc the q600c is set up differently than the q300..

here is a pic from kef, showing the sound graphs with the port plugged or not.

Well, that might be true but that is not my interpretation of the somewhat cryptic diagram. My interpretation of it is that IF the speaker's low-end performance is undesirably enhanced due, for example, to boundary effects, then the port plug can be used to compensatorily reduce the speaker's low-end output. IF your speaker ends up with that hump at the low end, that's bad (the[X]). Insert the plug and get the OK [checkmark].

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #4868 of 6760 Old 03-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone have reviews of kef q900 towers and the q600 center?
post #4869 of 6760 Old 03-30-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

Does anyone have reviews of kef q900 towers and the q600 center?

i have run across 4-5 different ones, they all are very similar to this.. great reviews all around.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-q900-loudspeaker
post #4870 of 6760 Old 03-31-2012, 03:50 PM

Liked: 11
Just a FYI but I mistakenly bought 2 sets of Q800 surrounds...by mistake...thought they came 1 per box not 2..my bad someones gain.
Oldemar likes this.
post #4871 of 6760 Old 04-01-2012, 09:56 PM

im a speaker noobie but i love the sound of KEF. Grew up listening to the original Q series my dad has. Im wondering if my Onkyo HT-RC 360 amp can power the kef Q700? I know it can but is it underpowering, and would it be necessary to upgrade my amp?
post #4872 of 6760 Old 04-01-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaty View Post

im a speaker noobie but i love the sound of KEF. Grew up listening to the original Q series my dad has. Im wondering if my Onkyo HT-RC 360 amp can power the kef Q700? I know it can but is it underpowering, and would it be necessary to upgrade my amp?

it'll be fine, even the 900s aren't terribly hard to drive.
post #4873 of 6760 Old 04-03-2012, 07:25 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by galvs View Post

I don't agree.
I have both XQ20s and R300s, and side by side R300s have more puch, much better bass and presence.
IMHO, for my taste, R300 is a step over XQ20.
Just my opinion, of course.

Any update since the PM's?

I just finished off my testing with the XQ's(10's and 20's),R and Reference series. I am definetly going to stand by my findings. Keep those XQ20's, definetly the best in terms of out of box stock potential. Midrange, treble,bass roll off and imaging is by far and away the best of all 3 monitors. To be fair though my 20's are run fully active, but the XQ10's I have are not, but they still have that ruler flat response in the midrange and lower treble region.

The rear facing port definetly needs to be plugged up to smooth out response. Its got bass, but the response is very lumpy and uneven unless you plug the ports and move the monitors out far away from a wall(4 feet minimum). Another finding is the tweeter aray. THe larger tweeter hurts response and range, probably due to the greater mass of the dome vs. the 3/4" dome on the XQ driver. Its got a spike in the response and can sound harsh due to this with certain music without an EQ function to tame it.

One thing I do want to add though. Id actually take the new R's over the 201/2 monitors due to the huge price difference. Response stock between the 2 was near identical. THe 201/2's imaged better but I can garentee thats due to the tighter xover tolerances. WIth a xover upgrade(not hard, nor is it expensive) I have no doubt that the R's can equal and surpass the Ref's in imaging as well also.

But regardless, for people looking to grab some Kef speakers, try and snag the XQ or even iQ series speakers while they are still kicking around. Both can be had for reasonable money now, and the XQ drivers and iQ/XQ cabinets are without question a step up over what Kef is rolling out now(Which mind you still is good and has the signature neutral "Kef" sound).
post #4874 of 6760 Old 04-03-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrain96 View Post

Any update since the PM's?

I just finished off my testing with the XQ's(10's and 20's),R and Reference series. I am definetly going to stand by my findings. Keep those XQ20's, definetly the best in terms of out of box stock potential. Midrange, treble,bass roll off and imaging is by far and away the best of all 3 monitors. To be fair though my 20's are run fully active, but the XQ10's I have are not, but they still have that ruler flat response in the midrange and lower treble region.

The rear facing port definetly needs to be plugged up to smooth out response. Its got bass, but the response is very lumpy and uneven unless you plug the ports and move the monitors out far away from a wall(4 feet minimum). Another finding is the tweeter aray. THe larger tweeter hurts response and range, probably due to the greater mass of the dome vs. the 3/4" dome on the XQ driver. Its got a spike in the response and can sound harsh due to this with certain music without an EQ function to tame it.

One thing I do want to add though. Id actually take the new R's over the 201/2 monitors due to the huge price difference. Response stock between the 2 was near identical. THe 201/2's imaged better but I can garentee thats due to the tighter xover tolerances. WIth a xover upgrade(not hard, nor is it expensive) I have no doubt that the R's can equal and surpass the Ref's in imaging as well also.

But regardless, for people looking to grab some Kef speakers, try and snag the XQ or even iQ series speakers while they are still kicking around. Both can be had for reasonable money now, and the XQ drivers and iQ/XQ cabinets are without question a step up over what Kef is rolling out now(Which mind you still is good and has the signature neutral "Kef" sound).

Do the IQs and XQs have the same Uni-Q driver? The bass drivers look different...
post #4875 of 6760 Old 04-03-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Do the IQs and XQs have the same Uni-Q driver? The bass drivers look different...

The UniQ drivers are the same(and whats really important). The bass drivers are not. But Ive play with the 70's,90's, XQ 30's and 40's, if your on a budget, and really insist on having a floorstanding speaker(which Im just not a fan of anymore as I highly prefer monitors with subs), the iQ 70's and 90's are a great bang for the buck, no question about it.
post #4876 of 6760 Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone have thoughts on the KEF Q900 vs Aperion 6T? or KEF Q600 vs Aperion 5C?
post #4877 of 6760 Old 04-04-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:

it'll be fine, even the 900s aren't terribly hard to drive.

Thanks man i appreciate it. The guy at the store said your amp with 100watt per CH wont be capable of powering the q700 and q900 to its fullest. He recommended me to upgrade to tx-nr 809 135watt per ch. Is it even necessary, will it even make a big difference???... I just want the speaker Q series, and to not have to upgrade to a higher model amp.
post #4878 of 6760 Old 04-05-2012, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks man i appreciate it. The guy at the store said your amp with 100watt per CH wont be capable of powering the q700 and q900 to its fullest. He recommended me to upgrade to tx-nr 809 135watt per ch. Is it even necessary, will it even make a big difference???... I just want the speaker Q series, and to not have to upgrade to a higher model amp.

It won't make any difference. The Q900 has an amplifier requirement (from KEF's web site) of 15 - 200W. The Q700 has a requirement of 15 - 150W. As stated, KEFs are very easy speakers to drive.
post #4879 of 6760 Old 04-05-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:

Just to gain 3db of clean headroom(which is basically a small increase in "loudness" to your ears)you need to double your output power. So to gain 3db output from 100 watts, you need a 200 watt amplifier. If you want to double the "loudness"(twice as loud to your ears) which is roughly a 10db increase, you need 10 times the output power. So if you have a 100 watt amp and want to have the ability to play "twice as loud" you would need a 1000 watt per channel amplifier.

This is just a basic example. WHat people dont realize, is that you on average only play around a watt or 2 at most under normal circumstances.

So going to an AVR with 135 watts vs. 100 watts is basically worthless if you want more audible output. The 35 extra watts per channel will basically give you 1 db of extra headroom in reality, which aint much.
post #4880 of 6760 Old 04-05-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharel View Post

It won't make any difference. The Q900 has an amplifier requirement (from KEF's web site) of 15 - 200W. The Q700 has a requirement of 15 - 150W. As stated, KEFs are very easy speakers to drive.

He will want to make sure the amp is 4ohm stable though......the new Q series do have some frequency ranges where the impedance dips below 4ohms........
post #4881 of 6760 Old 04-05-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:

the guy at the store as an idiot, and or trying to upsell you is basically what it boils down too.. if you WANT to upgrade the power (i did) you want a receiver with pre outs and a power amp (yours may have pre outs im not familiar with it).. but even then its a marginal increase (i know because ive tried it)
post #4882 of 6760 Old 04-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

He will want to make sure the amp is 4ohm stable though......the new Q series do have some frequency ranges where the impedance dips below 4ohms........

Won't be an issue with the receiver he's looking at.

Quote:

the guy at the store as an idiot, and or trying to upsell you is basically what it boils down too.

EXACTLY!!! I couldn't have said it any better.
post #4883 of 6760 Old 04-05-2012, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does anyone what are idle cross over settings for T205 systems. My LFE is set to 120Hz. Audyssey calibrated my front 305s to 120Hz and rear 105s to 150Hz. Is this right? Somehow I feel like I don't get enough tight bass from my T2 sub. Any recommendations? I am using Denon 2112 with this system.
post #4884 of 6760 Old 04-05-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you guys have your Q900 toe-in to the main listening position.

post #4885 of 6760 Old 04-05-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

Do you guys have your Q900 toe-in to the main listening position.

I do have mine toed in, but thats mainly due to my mains being less than 1m from the side walls on both sides, and a couch being slightly in the way if the speakers being pointed straight out so i never really even tried them out pointing straight.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1395870

pics can be found here, i have since moved the mains a little farther forward so i can move them in a bit closer from the side walls (without getting in the way of the projector beam) and towed them in slightly more. they are now about 75% on the area rug.. in turn i moved the couches back a little bit (maybe the same 4-5 inches)
post #4886 of 6760 Old 04-05-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharel View Post

Quote:

Just to gain 3db of clean headroom(which is basically a small increase in "loudness" to your ears)you need to double your output power. So to gain 3db output from 100 watts, you need a 200 watt amplifier. If you want to double the "loudness"(twice as loud to your ears) which is roughly a 10db increase, you need 10 times the output power. So if you have a 100 watt amp and want to have the ability to play "twice as loud" you would need a 1000 watt per channel amplifier.

This is just a basic example. WHat people dont realize, is that you on average only play around a watt or 2 at most under normal circumstances.

So going to an AVR with 135 watts vs. 100 watts is basically worthless if you want more audible output. The 35 extra watts per channel will basically give you 1 db of extra headroom in reality, which aint much.

Quote:

Quote:

the guy at the store as an idiot, and or trying to upsell you is basically what it boils down too.. if you WANT to upgrade the power (i did) you want a receiver with pre outs and a power amp (yours may have pre outs im not familiar with it).. but even then its a marginal increase (i know because ive tried it)

THanks alot everybody!! you guys are the best. This KEF thread is awesome filled with great educated HI-FI people. You guys saved me $500.00 USD. I paid 500 for the HT-RC 360 and the TX-NR809 was 900dollars. Big savings for me, to not have to upgrade knowing ill be able to power the KEF q900. The sales rep i had sure was an idiot trying to upsell me for sure He was saying "your amp is under-powered and will get overworked it was 25 lbs and the nr809 was 40lbs , capacitators, higher watts, etc " i was just scratching my head and nodding
post #4887 of 6760 Old 04-05-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:

so stating what you said 4ohm stable is the ht rc360 amp still a good GO? what are the CONS.. if its Speaker Impedance 6-16ohm . sound distortion?...

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=s

Power Output -
Front L/R 100 W + 100 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,
0.08%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
125 W + 125 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.1%,
2 channels driven, FTC)
Center 100 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,
125 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.1%,
2 channels driven, FTC)
Surround L/R 100 W + 100 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,
2 channels driven, FTC)
Surround Back L/R 100 W + 100 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,
2 channels driven, FTC)
Dynamic Power 240 W (3 ohms, 1 ch)
210 W (4 ohms, 1 ch)
120 W (8 ohms, 1 ch)
THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) 0.08% (20 Hz-20 kHz, Half power)
Damping Factor 60 (Front, 1 kHz, 8 ohms)
Input Sensitivity and Impedance 200 mV/47 k-ohms (Line)
Output Level and Impedance 200 mV/2.2 k-ohms (Rec out)
Phono Overload -
Frequency Response 5 Hz-100 kHz/+1 dB, -3 dB (DSP bypass)
Tone Control ±10 dB, 50 Hz (Bass)
±10 dB, 20 kHz (Treble)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 106 dB (Line, IHF-A)
Speaker Impedance 6 ohms-16 ohm

Model Q900
Design Two and a half-way bass reflex
Drive Units 200mm (8in.) aluminium Uni-Q 38mm (1.5in.) vented aluminium dome HF 200mm (8in.) aluminium LF 2 x 200mm (8in.) aluminium ABR
Frequency response ±3dB 32Hz - 40kHz
Crossover frequency 1.8kHz
Amplifier requirements 15 - 200W
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 91dB
Maximum output (SPL) 114dB
Impedance 8Ω
post #4888 of 6760 Old 04-05-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:

THanks alot everybody!! you guys are the best. This KEF thread is awesome filled with great educated HI-FI people. You guys saved me $500.00 USD. I paid 500 for the HT-RC 360 and the TX-NR809 was 900dollars. Big savings for me, to not have to upgrade knowing ill be able to power the KEF q900. The sales rep i had sure was an idiot trying to upsell me for sure He was saying "your amp is under-powered and will get overworked it was 25 lbs and the nr809 was 40lbs , capacitators, higher watts, etc " i was just scratching my head and nodding

while there is some merit to the heavier is better motto, most avr's are very similar in power (most will do their spec power in 1 or 2 ch at a time, not all channels driven) to give you an idea look at the weight of emotiva amplifiers.. they have no audio/video processing just straight power and boxed they are nearly 90 lbs
post #4889 of 6760 Old 04-05-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:

so stating what you said 4ohm stable is the ht rc360 amp still a good GO? what are the CONS.. if its Speaker Impedance 6-16ohm . sound distortion?...

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=s

Power Output -
Front L/R 100 W + 100 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,
2 channels driven, FTC)
Center 100 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,
125 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.1%,
2 channels driven, FTC)
Surround L/R 100 W + 100 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,
2 channels driven, FTC)
Surround Back L/R 100 W + 100 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,
2 channels driven, FTC)
Dynamic Power 240 W (3 ohms, 1 ch)
210 W (4 ohms, 1 ch)
120 W (8 ohms, 1 ch)
THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) 0.08% (20 Hz-20 kHz, Half power)
Damping Factor 60 (Front, 1 kHz, 8 ohms)
Input Sensitivity and Impedance 200 mV/47 k-ohms (Line)
Output Level and Impedance 200 mV/2.2 k-ohms (Rec out)
Phono Overload -
Frequency Response 5 Hz-100 kHz/+1 dB, -3 dB (DSP bypass)
Tone Control ±10 dB, 50 Hz (Bass)
±10 dB, 20 kHz (Treble)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 106 dB (Line, IHF-A)
Speaker Impedance 6 ohms–16 ohm

Model Q900
Design Two and a half-way bass reflex
Drive Units 200mm (8in.) aluminium Uni-Q 38mm (1.5in.) vented aluminium dome HF 200mm (8in.) aluminium LF 2 x 200mm (8in.) aluminium ABR
Frequency response ±3dB 32Hz - 40kHz
Crossover frequency 1.8kHz
Amplifier requirements 15 - 200W
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 91dB
Maximum output (SPL) 114dB
Impedance 8Ω

it gets a bit technical to explain why an 8 ohm speaker can go as low as 4 ohm (or higher than 8) in some frequencies.. but your avr should be fine.. hook it up and play it at a fairly loud (not ridiculous) volume for a bit.. if it doesnt get hot/shut off or start clipping you know you'll be fine.

if that avr is rated to play a 6 ohm speaker, im sure they are taking into acct that the 6 ohm speaker will dip below 3 ohm sometimes, play it and see
post #4890 of 6760 Old 04-06-2012, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

cream puff,
My Q900 speakers are about 20" from side wall and 20" from back wall. Maybe I should toe them in and see what happens. See the picture of my Q900 thanks.
LL

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page