KEF Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 6794 Old 10-23-2007, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased the KEF KHT3005 system, and have to say that their Installation Manual has to be one of the worst I've ever seen.

There is a foam rubber "Port Bung" in the HTS3001 Satellite Speaker;and I'm wondering if that foam plug is supposed to be removed or left in place.

On page 13 of said manual it shows diagrams both with it in place and with it removed. There is a check mark (for the correct way) next to both diagrams.

So, what's correct? Foam in the hole or remove it?

TIA for your response. I get none from KEF Support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 6794 Old 10-23-2007, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Newbie here. I have a question about my woofers (not sub).

I have a pair of gorgeous KEF Reference Model Twos in cherry finish that I bought new in 1998, although they had been the floor demos for a few months in a locally owned high end A/V store. They have sounded beautiful with amazing clarity in the mids and highs. The bass can be a little boomy in a HT setup, so I usually let the two subs (both KEFs) handle that.

Just recently, however, I noticed that the woofers (there are twin 6.5 inch back-to-back woofers in each speaker) in my right speaker are not playing anything at all. I have had the speakers bi-wired for years (I know, I know, that doesn't do anything helpful, but tell that to the dummy salesman who suggested I do that). They worked fine. About a month ago, I switched from bi-wiring to bi-amping, although it was passive bi-amping through a second amp (again, I know about the controversy about passive or "poor man's" bi-amping, but I'm not interested in a discussion about that at the moment). Again, I didn't notice anything wrong. It wasn't until I was recalibrating everything in my HT a week ago with Digital Video Essentials that I noticed during the frequency sweep that the woofers on that particular speaker weren't working. They were working fine on the left speaker.

I switched channels, I switched cables, I even made up some new cables and tested them on other speakers before running them to the woofer terminals (yes, the Ref Twos are designed for bi-wiring/bi-amping and I have removed the jumpers). I have tried a different amp and tried the right channel on the left speaker to make sure it's not the channel. It's not. The tweeter and mid drivers on the right speaker work great. Even on stereo music with no processing through the amp I get great bass from the woofers on the left speaker, but none at all from the right.

Here's my question. Could I have a blown woofer? I suspect it is actually an electrical rather than a mechanical problem, especially since there are two woofers in that cabinet, and because I'm getting no sound, rather than weird or crappy sound from the bass. I suspect there is a bad connection on the crossover circuit or to the bass terminals. I'm not so much of an electrical wiz to know what it might be, but I can solder and change out capacitors and resistors (I rewired a guitar from scratch, and made a bunch of upgrades on a guitar amp, for example).

Until my recent upgrade last month to a Marantz SR7001 receiver (110W x 7.1 channels), I was driving the speakers with what is now a 10-year-old Yamaha RX2092 receiver (100W x 5.1), but it was almost new when I got my speakers. I usually run movies at -30 to -15 volume, and music at or below -30 to -20.

Any thoughts or ideas? If it is an electrical problem, is this something I should attempt to do myself, or should I consider finding a good speaker tech and paying big bucks for the repair?

Here's a link to the specs for the 1990s KEF Reference Twos I have:

http://www.kef.com/history/1990_2/reference/reftwo2.asp

Quote:
Design 3 - way, 4 - driver
HF Drive Unit 25 mm (1") ferrofluid – cooled soft dome tweeter
MF Drive Unit 160 mm (6.5") polypropylene cone
LMF Unit(s) No
LF Unit (s) 2 x 160 mm (6. 5") pulp cone
Crossover Frequencies 2.4 kHz, 160 Hz
Frequency Range +/* 3dB 45 Hz-20 kHz
LF Corner -6 dB 39 Hz
Characteristic Sensitivity Level 90dB
Maximum Output 113dB
Amplifier requirements 50-200 W
Impedance 4 ohms
Enclosure type twin interport twin coupled cavity
Internal volume MF : 2.5 litres
LF : 40 litres
Weight 29.6 kg (65 lbs)
Dimensions (H x W x D)
(maximum including grille and feet ) 1012 x 238 x 359 mm
39.8 x 9.4 x 14.1 in.
Veneer Finishes

Standard finish collection

Here's a pic (not my pic, but these look just like mine):

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
LL
post #543 of 6794 Old 10-23-2007, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH vanATL View Post

I just purchased the KEF KHT3005 system, and have to say that their Installation Manual has to be one of the worst I've ever seen.

There is a foam rubber "Port Bung" in the HTS3001 Satellite Speaker;and I'm wondering if that foam plug is supposed to be removed or left in place.

On page 13 of said manual it shows diagrams both with it in place and with it removed. There is a check mark (for the correct way) next to both diagrams.

So, what's correct? Foam in the hole or remove it?

TIA for your response. I get none from KEF Support.

Use the 'port bungs' if any of the speakers sound too 'boomy' because of their placement near a wall or especially in a corner. The "normal" way to use the speakers would be without the bungs, though.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #544 of 6794 Old 10-23-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Use the 'port bungs' if any of the speakers sound too 'boomy' because of their placement near a wall or especially in a corner. The "normal" way to use the speakers would be without the bungs, though.

Thanks for the response. They are not yet in their final resting place; so I guess I'll leave them in for now. If anything, they don't sound as bright as I would like.
post #545 of 6794 Old 10-23-2007, 03:27 PM

i have agree with you that they dont sound as bright as i like. any idea why though?
post #546 of 6794 Old 10-23-2007, 04:01 PM

Can someone with a pair of XQ1s tell me how far apart the front feet are and how far back the back foot is? I'm planning on picking up a pair and want to get some black speaker stands for them, but i want to make sure the top plate is big enough to hold the speaker. Thanks.
post #547 of 6794 Old 10-25-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinnc View Post

I just bought the KEF KHT 3005 speaker set, and an Onkyo TX-SR705.

The satellites and center speakers sound great, but the sub (HTB2) doesn't push any bass to speak of. I can tell it's on, but it doesn't come close to making the room have strong bass sound; my 8-year-old Camry dealer-installed speakers push more bass.

I have tried the Onkyo auto-eq, crossover frequencies from 80 - 120, flipping the phase switch, moving the sub around the room, and even got a new cable.

Has anyone had success getting this HTB2 subwoofer to actually sound good?

I mistakenly tried out a Bose Acoustimass system (which I hated and returned), but at least that system made you know there was a sub in the room.

Thanks for any advice you can provide me with getting this sub to work.

Have you worked out the sub yet? I have the same speakers/receiver. I'm quite happy with the sub.

I have the sub set at 0 phase, 0 sub boost, auto.

I used Audyssy in the 705 to set up the speakers. Then, I manually changed all the crossovers to 80Hz including LFE. Audyssy set the sub level at -10, which had me concerned that it would be too low. But, I've got double bass set to on. It sounds fine to me.

Have you tried simply increasing the sub speaker level in the 705 via Level Calibration?

If you're still stumped, there's an AVS member, Woots, who has the same setup. He is a regular on the Onkyo 705 owners thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...887050&page=96) and is quite knowledgeable. See if he can help.

ps. Make sure you have the sub connected to the Subwoofer Pre-Out connection on the back of the 705. There's another jack marked SUBWOOFER in the DVD grouping but that's not for a powered sub. The SUBWOOFER jack you want is in the group of jacks marked PRE OUT.
post #548 of 6794 Old 10-25-2007, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanC View Post

Can someone with a pair of XQ1s tell me how far apart the front feet are and how far back the back foot is? I'm planning on picking up a pair and want to get some black speaker stands for them, but i want to make sure the top plate is big enough to hold the speaker. Thanks.

The distance between the front feet is just under 6.5" and the distance from the rear foot to the imaginary line between the front 2 feet is ~10.5".

There are all sorts of clever things you can put atop a stand whose top plate is too small. But have you seen the links in this thread to the replacement SANUS top-plates that are made specifially for the XQ1s?

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #549 of 6794 Old 10-25-2007, 01:16 PM
cmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by johni View Post

The SUBWOOFER jack you want is in the group of jacks marked PRE OUT.

It's purple, in case that helps.
post #550 of 6794 Old 10-26-2007, 07:46 AM

Are you guys dishing out the $200 for the speaker stands or getting some aftermarket type?

I think for my rears I will mount them in the wall (do they come with a wall mount)

I just ordered my 3005 set and want to make sure I have everything I need when they get here...
post #551 of 6794 Old 10-26-2007, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Here's an update on my woofer problem with my KEF Reference Twos. This morning I called KEF America in New Jersey and was impressed immediately with their customer service. My speakers are long since out of warranty, as they are about 10 years old. I was calling about a technical question, and I told the receptionist I was calling to ask about a technical issue with my Reference Twos from the late 90s. She said, "Reference Twos?" I replied, "yes," and she immediately, without having to look it up, said, "Oh, that would be Kieran. I'll direct you right to him."

Within a couple of seconds Kieran answered the phone and we began speaking about my issue. He understood immediately and we talked about the possible places in which I could be having a problem, including worn out electrical connections at the crossover, the terminals, or with the woofers themselves being blown. We spoke at length about them, and I didn't sense any attempt on his part to rush me or to be done with me in a hurry. He seemed willing to put whatever time and effort into helping me as was necessary. We also got sidetracked a bit, as it turns out his brother lives in my hometown now.

Anyway, Kieran gave me several suggestions he and I thought I might be able to handle myself given my level of technical proficiency and limitations, and then he faxed me written directions on how to remove everything and diagnose the problem. He also looked up at my request prices for replacement woofers and a crossover, should either of those be necessary. He also mentioned that they do have them in stock (and this is for a discontinued model from ten years ago).

Anyway, I just wanted to put in a good word for KEF's customer and technical assistance, and especially Kieran. He invited me to call him back later if I needed additional help.

Sounds like I have a weekend project ahead. Oh, and thanks KEF and Kieran!
post #552 of 6794 Old 10-26-2007, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

This morning I called KEF America in New Jersey and was impressed immediately with their customer service.

Anyway, I just wanted to put in a good word for KEF's customer and technical assistance, and especially Kieran. He invited me to call him back later if I needed additional help.

I've had a great experience with KEF customer service, as well.

post #553 of 6794 Old 10-26-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrdfish View Post

Are you guys dishing out the $200 for the speaker stands or getting some aftermarket type?

I think for my rears I will mount them in the wall (do they come with a wall mount)

I just ordered my 3005 set and want to make sure I have everything I need when they get here...

I dished out money for two pairs of KEF stands for my 3005s.

As for the wall mount question...
post #554 of 6794 Old 10-31-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahertyps View Post

6ave.com just announced a $500 coupon off the KEF KHT 3005. Enter in "kef998" at checkout.

Just a heads up. I called them about this deal and they gave it to me without a code. They are going to pomo this as well as the Denon 3808 next week anyway. Offer is good til 11/8. I was able to get a pretty good deal.
post #555 of 6794 Old 10-31-2007, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahertyps View Post

6ave.com just announced a $500 coupon off the KEF KHT 3005. Enter in "kef998" at checkout.

I just tried this code. Doesn't work. $1000 for this set wouldn't be a bad price.

"It's not a lie if you believe it's the truth" --- George Costanza
post #556 of 6794 Old 10-31-2007, 05:22 PM

Mamasboy. Call them.
post #557 of 6794 Old 10-31-2007, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure if I these are the ones I want yet. I am going to audition them tomorrow so I was testing the code. I will call if this is the way I go. I am not sold on the egg shape though, I kind of like traditional shaped speakers.

post #558 of 6794 Old 11-03-2007, 12:29 AM

Hello all. I'm the new kid to the neighborhood. I heard nothing but good about the KEF products so I added the brand to my rooting around for speakers for my a/v system. Low and behold I get an email from the last place I expected to carry KEFs...Circuit City.

They had the 2005.2 system on sale for $499. I called a local high-end sales/install spot and inquired about the 2005.2 (he said he loved the system but was usually doing 5/6 or 9000s these days for his customers. I asked his pricing for the 2005 and he quoted me $1,200. He about popped a vessel when I emailed him the link to the CC price.

Cutting to the chase...I purchased 2 of the systems.

My question: Can I split my sub connection and run both subs (I've read that the 2150 is the only weak spot of the system), split the L, R and C and run the 3 channels 2 each and run the other 4 surrounds as my two mids and two rears?

To feed the speakers I'll be using the Sony STR DE-997B 7.1.

I saw the orbaudio set up using the mod2s as the L,R and C and mod1s as surrounds which gave me the idea to try the same setup with the KEFs.

Why two systems? I want to utilize the 7.1. Buying the 5.1 system at the great price was awesome. Then I priced two additional sats and rhe two sats outside the package deal were almost as much as I was paying for the complete set so I opted for the two sets. The additional speakers immediately gave me thoughts of the orbs...my initial desire to purchase.

Ideas, thoughts, concerns...all much appreciated.
post #559 of 6794 Old 11-03-2007, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Hi guys,
Still running a pair of Q65s going on almost 10 years now. Rotel RX-1050 powered.

I'm in an apartment these days, the small-ish towers and clear sound work for me very well.
post #560 of 6794 Old 11-03-2007, 09:09 AM

Just picked up a pair of the IQ3s for my fronts. Definite upgrade over these Cerwin Vega VS-80s I have had for the last 12 years.

I will be running them with my Denon AVR-681 and Polk PSW 505 sub. Very modestly priced due to my budget but I think I will be happy for some time.

I need to pick up some stands, any recommendations you guys can give me? Does kef make stands specifically for this model?
post #561 of 6794 Old 11-04-2007, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinemac View Post

My question: Can I split my sub connection and run both subs (I've read that the 2150 is the only weak spot of the system), split the L, R and C and run the 3 channels 2 each and run the other 4 surrounds as my two mids and two rears?

Yes, you can simply use a Y-adapter to split the receiver's subwoofer output to the 2 subs.

Running 2 speakers for the L, R, and C channels is a bad idea, though; just use 1 speaker for those channels. Not only is it not a good idea to connect 2 speakers, instead of 1 as intended, to your receiver's speaker outputs, it's a bad idea to have separate speakers producing identical output in the same room, particularly from the same general location. More is not always better.

Of course, you can use 4 of the satellites for your SL, SR, SBL, and SBR speakers.

post #562 of 6794 Old 11-04-2007, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSouth View Post

I need to pick up some stands, any recommendations you guys can give me? Does kef make stands specifically for this model?

KEF does not make stands that are specific for that model. And if they did, they'd most likely be overpriced compared to the prices of the plethora of stands that are available for standard speakers like the iQ3s.

post #563 of 6794 Old 11-05-2007, 01:57 PM

Any of you KEF guys hear the reference
207/2?

There was just a review in sound and vision that got me nowhere.
post #564 of 6794 Old 11-05-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMAIN64 View Post

Any of you KEF guys hear the reference 207/2?

There was just a review in sound and vision that got me nowhere.

What, exactly, about THIS review got you nowhere? The reviewer had nothng but good things to say about the speakers. It's just a review; one man's opinion. What were you looking for in a review?

If you are considering a pair of $20,000 speakers, I presume you would rely on much more than simply 'reviews' in making a buying decision. In fact, I would almost expect a dealer to provide an in-home demonstration with speakers of this caliber and price.

post #565 of 6794 Old 11-05-2007, 02:38 PM

Yes exactly, one mans positive opinion in a mag that has 2 very large and expensive ads ....looking for other opinions here i.e.- from you guys.

Have you heard them yet? This is just my first inquiry.
post #566 of 6794 Old 11-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benniator View Post

I dished out money for two pairs of KEF stands for my 3005s.

As for the wall mount question...

The guy at the local hi-end AV store offered me the stands (very high quality, about 10-15 lbs a piece) for under $100 each if I bought the 3005 5.1 set up for around $1400.

I almost pulled the trigger. The speakers sound great, but the egg shape scared me off. A little to mod looking for me.

post #567 of 6794 Old 11-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

What, exactly, about THIS review got you nowhere? The reviewer had nothng but good things to say about the speakers. It's just a review; one man's opinion. What were you looking for in a review?

If you spend $20,000 on a pair of speakers my rule of thumb is they will sound pretty darn good. If they don't, take them back after a week and try another $20,000 set from a different maker.

post #568 of 6794 Old 11-05-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasboy View Post

The guy at the local hi-end AV store offered me the stands (very high quality, about 10-15 lbs a piece) for under $100 each if I bought the 3005 5.1 set up for around $1400.

I almost pulled the trigger. The speakers sound great, but the egg shape scared me off. A little to mod looking for me.

That was a pretty good deal. I ended up paying $1500 for the 3005s and two pairs of stands. Yes, they're mod looking, but the glossy black looks great next to my Pioneer plasma (plus they sound awesome).
post #569 of 6794 Old 11-08-2007, 07:45 AM

Hello KEF owners.

I am considering some KEF iQ series speakers. I have some questions:

1) I have read that the iQ speakers are not real wood. They look really nice from the pictures I have seen (one of the big reasons I am considering them). How is the finish on these considering that they are not "real" wood? I am considering the Dark Apple finish. If they are not "real" wood - what is it?

2) I am considering the iQ6c center channel. How would you rate this center channel against other center channels at the same price point? It is a little steep compared to some of the competition. In fact, the iQ line in general is a slight premium over other competitors speaker lines in the same general categorical hierarchy (looking at Polks, Infinity, etc.).

Thanks in advance for you assistance. I wish I could audition these locally, but I live in a fairly rural area. It will probably be just as cost affective to order some and try them out, and then send them back if I don't like them.
post #570 of 6794 Old 11-08-2007, 09:34 AM

Hello MWITT

1. there not "real" wood they are pressed wood , kef built a great product at an affordable price if your looking for all wood speaker sin the kef line you have to go up to the xq series
but they all sound great though

2. the differance between kef and all the other speaker companies(polk,infinity, etc...)
is that they use the same Uni-Q technology in all their speaker lines from the reference series to the iq series which is a trademark of good manufacturing

IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE questions you can ask me

david
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page