AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

I thought those of you reading this thread would be interested in this review:

Thanks for posting that. I never realized they had a port on top!

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 6846 Old 12-04-2007, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Curtis,

I'll let you know dates as soon as mziegler decides.

Meanwhile, does anyone have any opinions on the Q9 centre speaker:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/KEFQ9CMPLA

Is the above a good price or can it be had for less? (maybe I should check with HT Doctor)

A friend uses three of them across the front and I was considering doing the same.

Sanjay

Sanjay
post #633 of 6846 Old 12-04-2007, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Meanwhile, does anyone have any opinions on the Q9 centre speaker?

Is the above a good price or can it be had for less? (maybe I should check with HT Doctor)

The Q9c is the 6.5" driver, center channel offering from the older discontinued Q series. The new iQ series doesn't offer a 6.5" driver equipped center; only a 3 x 5.25" driver. I don't know about that price, really. You may be able to get the black Q9c for cheaper. Either way, they all have a vinyl finish.

Before I had my current XQs, I had 4 Q1s and a Q9c and I thought the Q9c performed well. I'm not sure if it had an identical crossover to the Q1s, though. It may have been a little different for its intended use as a center channel. It is also rear-ported and mine didn't come with a port bung like that included with the Q1s.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #634 of 6846 Old 12-04-2007, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ Appreciate the info. One of the review sites I looked at said that the Q9c was sealed while another said it was ported; I guess you're the tie-breaker. Also, the current line does have a 1 x 5.25" centre speaker: iQ2c. But the 6.5" driver looks like it can go lower and, more importantly, move more air. Since the Q9c is a discontinued item, I'll look around to see if I can find some closeout deals on the black version.

Thanx,
Sanjay

Sanjay
post #635 of 6846 Old 12-05-2007, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sanjay,

I'm way new to the KEF family but am a seasoned shopper and if there's a deal out there I'll find it...that being said, accessories4less.com absolutely has the best prices.

I just purchased some 5000s from them but in the process considered several other KEF products and other shopping sites and speaker for speaker, site for site I found a.4.less to be the least expensive for NEW speakers. (I mean we all know you can go on craigslist or ebay and take your chances but we're talking factory-authorized retailers/products directly from KEF here.)

Give them a call, go to sales and ask for Mark if he doesn't answer.

In the process of making my purchase I spoke with him several times. He ran down the pros and cons of each of my speaker options and even talked me away from speakers that were more expensive. (not due to performance but application)

He also was able to tell me what he was getting in from KEF so he had me wait for a week until he got in the 5000s. Check with them and see if there are any more Q9cs in black he can get from KEF.

Also, the question you have...sealed vs. ported, he'll almost certainly have the answer for you.

I'll continue shopping with them as my needs (wife would say needless WANTS) change.
post #636 of 6846 Old 12-05-2007, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinemac View Post

Give them a call, go to sales and ask for Mark if he doesn't answer.

Did exactly as you said. Since the Q9c is a discontinued item, they weren't going to get any more (black or otherwise). Mark offered me a good deal if I bought all three of his remaining stock (which I was planning on doing anyway), so I ordered on the spot.

Thank you for the heads up on Mark. Contacting him ended up saving me a small chunk o'change. Plus, he's a real nice guy.

Best,
Sanjay

Sanjay
post #637 of 6846 Old 12-05-2007, 08:49 AM

I have a question in regards to some recently purchased KEF's Reference 1. I bought these from a guy who works for a home theater dealer. He purchased these "eh" condition KEF's from a old customer of his at 300 and was selling them as is. I was at the time looking for speakers and he told me if I wanted he would buy new drivers for these Reference 1 and sell them to me for 400. After reading about how good the refence series speakers from KEF are I decided why not I was looking for something and these look to be pretty good speakers for not so bad of a price. Well after waiting for a month cause parts that were ordered were not in stock ... I eventually was able to pick them up. The drivers in them were new no doubt about it they looked excellent. Since these are new drivers I think the 400 for both speakers was an good deal but I hope I'm not really missing the quality that the reference series are known for. The case was horrible lots of scratches and stuff but I repaired the looks with some touch up paint and cleaning the end results are here.

My main concern though is that the speaker in the front of the tower is white with a mesh covered tweeter in the center... looking at all other photo's of Reference Series speakers non on them are like this all are black speakers. So the question is did this guy really purchase me Reference quality speakers or are these a lower end model speaker that he purchased?
post #638 of 6846 Old 12-05-2007, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Did exactly as you said. Since the Q9c is a discontinued item, they weren't going to get any more (black or otherwise). Mark offered me a good deal if I bought all three of his remaining stock (which I was planning on doing anyway), so I ordered on the spot.

Let us know how it sounds, sanjay.

post #639 of 6846 Old 12-05-2007, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Raven View Post

I have a question in regards to some recently purchased KEF's Reference 1. I bought these from a guy who works for a home theater dealer. He purchased these "eh" condition KEF's from a old customer of his at 300 and was selling them as is. I was at the time looking for speakers and he told me if I wanted he would buy new drivers for these Reference 1 and sell them to me for 400. After reading about how good the refence series speakers from KEF are I decided why not I was looking for something and these look to be pretty good speakers for not so bad of a price. Well after waiting for a month cause parts that were ordered were not in stock ... I eventually was able to pick them up. The drivers in them were new no doubt about it they looked excellent. Since these are new drivers I think the 400 for both speakers was an good deal but I hope I'm not really missing the quality that the reference series are known for. The case was horrible lots of scratches and stuff but I repaired the looks with some touch up paint and cleaning the end results are here.

My main concern though is that the speaker in the front of the tower is white with a mesh covered tweeter in the center... looking at all other photo's of Reference Series speakers non on them are like this all are black speakers. So the question is did this guy really purchase me Reference quality speakers or are these a lower end model speaker that he purchased?

I'm not sure what you're asking. The speakers in your pictures are older KEF speakers; perhaps as old as 15 years. You may be able to find pictures of them at the KEF site in the "Museum" section. What is the model number of the speakers?

post #640 of 6846 Old 12-05-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

I'm not sure what you're asking. The speakers in your pictures are older KEF speakers; perhaps as old as 15 years. You may be able to find pictures of them at the KEF site in the "Museum" section. What is the model number of the speakers?

Yes I know they are the older KEF from the early 90's and I did mention in my first post these are Reference Model 1. My question is do these look like new reference drivers or do they look like drivers from another series of the KEF line? Compared to this picture shown below the front speaker is black vs the one that I have which is white.

post #641 of 6846 Old 12-05-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes I know they are the older KEF from the early 90's but my question is he bought new drivers and speakers for these since the old ones were not good anymore. Compared to this picture shown below the front speaker is black vs the one that I have which is white.

If you look at some of the KEF Q series speakers from the 90s you'll see that they have the white drivers. He may have replaced the drivers with those. It may very well be that those are the only replacement drivers that are currently available for your speakers and it is also quite possible that they are not even available directly from KEF anymore and instead come from a 3rd party parts distributor.

Do the speakers sound good to you or not? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

post #642 of 6846 Old 12-05-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:

If you look at some of the KEF Q series speakers from the 90s you'll see that they have the white drivers. He may have replaced the drivers with those. It may very well be that those are the only replacement drivers that are currently available for your speakers and it is also quite possible that they are not even available directly from KEF anymore and instead come from a 3rd party parts distributor.

Do the speakers sound good to you or not? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

They sound good for sure I like them a lot the only reason that slightly bothers me is that I don't like it when people say they will sell you product A but in reality they change things around to product B. I really don't know the difference between the Reference series and the Q series so I don't know if he downgraded quality or improved quality if he did put in the Q series drivers instead. Just came here wanting to see if anyone of you guys, who are much more knowledgeable with the KEF speakers than I, would be able to tell me a little about this question of mine. One more question do you guys think I paid to much for these or this was a pretty good deal considering these have new what looks like Q series drivers in them.
post #643 of 6846 Old 12-05-2007, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

They sound good for sure I like them a lot the only reason that slightly bothers me is that I don't like it when people say they will sell you product A but in reality they change things around to product B.

I'm assuming the original drivers were deteriorating. Would you have rathered Product A, with deteriorating drivers, @ $300, or Product B, with brand new drivers, @ $400?

As I said, it is very likely the Reference drivers were no longer available and the replacement drivers are generic "KEF" replacements that came from a 3rd party distributor.

Quote:

One more question do you guys think I paid to much for these or this was a pretty good deal considering these have new what looks like Q series drivers in them.

The Q series was a lower series than the Reference series. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the Q series drivers, although different in appearance and construction, were necessarily lesser drivers. One could make the arguement that, being made of what appears to be some sort of polymer, they are more advanced drivers than the standard-looking Reference series drivers.

Did you get a good deal? That's your call. Are you happy with what you got for $400? You could have gotten any number of manufacturers' new towers for $400 but they would most likely have been, generally, very similar in, or even lesser in, quality to what you ended up with. Again, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If they sound good to you, be happy and go enjoy the music.

post #644 of 6846 Old 12-05-2007, 09:05 PM

Glad this all worked out well for you Sanjay. I'll be a big kid tomorrow when my 5000s get here.
post #645 of 6846 Old 12-09-2007, 04:49 PM

I've been in this thread for a few weeks but only had the parts. I refused to hook anything up until I had everything I needed.

I have the 2005.2 using the surrounds as the middles and rears, 2/5000s as my L/R fronts and a Q6c as my center and am using the PSW 2150 from the 2005.2 system.

I purchased 10 guage cable, ran it all through the walls and hung everything.

OMG!!! I had never heard any of these speakers but put my faith in all of your comments and I just want to say thanks. They sound incredible!!!

These speakers are crystal clear and this sub is almost too much for the room but I can most certainly tolerate this if this is all I can find wrong. And actually I figure I just need to adjust it down from the mid level to low but, I love blowing my friends away with clarity and lots of bass.

Shopping around I accomplished this system for less than $1,000 so I'm ecstatic.

Again, all of you...thanks so much
post #646 of 6846 Old 12-09-2007, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

OMG!!! I had never heard any of these speakers but put my faith in all of your comments and I just want to say thanks. They sound incredible!!!

These speakers are crystal clear and this sub is almost too much for the room but I can most certainly tolerate this if this is all I can find wrong. And actually I figure I just need to adjust it down from the mid level to low but, I love blowing my friends away with clarity and lots of bass.

Shopping around I accomplished this system for less than $1,000 so I'm ecstatic.

Again, all of you...thanks so much

ENJOY!

Quote:

I have the 2005.2 using the surrounds as the middles and rears, 2/5000s as my L/R fronts and a Q6c as my center and am using the PSW 2150 from the 2005.2 system.

That's quite a chimeric system you set up, there. Mind if I ask exactly why you "did it" that way?

post #647 of 6846 Old 12-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just noticed this post -

My Ref 1's have black drivers and black mesh HFE covers.

But if you are happy with the sound, I agree with the others, who cares?

If it sounds good, it is good.
post #648 of 6846 Old 12-09-2007, 05:43 PM

I was totally moved by price initially. I couldn't pass on the 2005.2 for $499. That got me into KEF. You guys kept locked in and committed.

From there I just continued to look and have refused to pay anything close to full retail.

From talking to Mark at accessories4less I came up with the 5000s. I initially called him about the XQ1s but was talked way down because of mounting options and mating them with the 2000s which are way beneath their performance level. Also I really wasn't trying to blow the budget.

From your experience, does it sound like I have a system that should sound a bit off or what? I don't have any sound analyzers and all to find out if everything is matched properly.

It's okay...if you must bust my bubble. I'll appreciate you honesty. It'll just give me something to shoot for after the wedding.
post #649 of 6846 Old 12-09-2007, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

From talking to Mark at accessories4less I came up with the 5000s. I initially called him about the XQ1s but was talked way down because of mounting options and mating them with the 2000s which are way beneath their performance level. Also I really wasn't trying to blow the budget.

From your experience, does it sound like I have a system that should sound a bit off or what? I don't have any sound analyzers and all to find out if everything is matched properly.

It's okay...if you must bust my bubble. I'll appreciate you honesty. It'll just give me something to shoot for after the wedding.

Not trying to burst your bubble. I guess I'm mainly wondering about the 5000s. Aren't they expensive? Is there a reason you chose them (mounting options, for example) over the lower-priced iQ1s (or iQ3s) which would have matched your iQ6c center channel? (Or, I guess another way to look at it is, why didn't you get the matching 5000 center channel?) I think that using the 2005 satellites for your side and rear surrounds is a great idea if you were looking for something compact for those positions, BTW. But your front speakers have a different design and 3" drivers which are very different drivers from the 5.25" driver and 4" drivers of your center and surrounds. The 5000s only go down to 95Hz yet your iQ6c center channel speaker and 2005 surrounds go down to 65Hz and 80Hz respectively.

post #650 of 6846 Old 12-09-2007, 06:35 PM

That's good to hear. I've got the 2005.2s coming soon and am keeping the KEF 103.3s for now. They just sound too sweet to part with. I will try some combos to see what sounds the best.

Panasonic X700 R'cvr, Energy spks, and sub, Panny PT-AE8000U projector, Panny TC-L37DT30 tv
post #651 of 6846 Old 12-09-2007, 07:37 PM

I purchased the 5000s for $199 each. I was considering the look along with the performance I read about in most reviews for the 5000s. Do you think I would have been better served by going iQ3?n
post #652 of 6846 Old 12-10-2007, 09:02 AM

Just curious what the KEF owners think would be a good setup? My living room is small 11'x13'. Running an onkyo 605..most likely gonna do a 5.1 setup given my living room size..although i might move into a house, but i'll worry about it when it happens.

I'm hoping to spend $1000-1500 on speakers. I'm debating on the KEF 2005 or 3005 series. Just curious if there is a big difference in audio quality between the two to warrant the price difference (based off of accessories for less). And/or is the 5005 quality difference large enough to warrant dumping $2000 for it?

~G
post #653 of 6846 Old 12-10-2007, 10:58 AM

Liked: 11
hey gspin... kef 2005 was around 700 bucks in 6ave recently n 3005 around 1000 bucks.. umight want to chk them out...
post #654 of 6846 Old 12-10-2007, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Do you think I would have been better served by going iQ3?

Yes. Or the iQ1s, even. Or the iQ5s, for that matter.

But you may have had comsmetic resasons for preferring the 5000s; I don't know.

post #655 of 6846 Old 12-10-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspin2k1 View Post

Just curious what the KEF owners think would be a good setup? My living room is small 11'x13'. Running an onkyo 605..most likely gonna do a 5.1 setup given my living room size..although i might move into a house, but i'll worry about it when it happens.

I'm hoping to spend $1000-1500 on speakers. I'm debating on the KEF 2005 or 3005 series. Just curious if there is a big difference in audio quality between the two to warrant the price difference (based off of accessories for less). And/or is the 5005 quality difference large enough to warrant dumping $2000 for it?

~G

2 pr. of iQ1s @ $260/pr. + 1 iQ2c @ $220/ea. = $740

Spend the rest on a good subwoofer and you'll have a system that's much better than any of your listed choices.

post #656 of 6846 Old 12-10-2007, 01:40 PM

I am a happy owner of Kef Q65.2 series (mains), Kef 55.2 (surrounds) and Reference 100 (center), driven by Denon 3802 (110w x7).

From time to time, my center speaker would sound weird, for most part it's great for music and movies, but when volume is high on the center for certain dialogues, it gets strained. As a result, I keep it a 1-2 db below the reference levels

I would like to know whether my center speaker is bad, is it a crossover problem, is it having problems in matching with my fronts, or is it my 4 years old denon's center channel, etc.

Also, if at all I should change my center, should I get the IQ6C or the XQ2C(vanns) ?
post #657 of 6846 Old 12-10-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Yes. Or the iQ1s, even. Or the iQ5s, for that matter.

But you may have had cosmetic reasons for preferring the 5000s; I don't know.

I hate how shallow this is going to sound but I'm admitting it...you hit the nail on the head with the cosmetic issue. I was concerned with mounting and I wanted the most clean look that used the least amount of floor space.

I'll post a few photos after I get all of my cables tucked and see what you think. (sidebar: I am an artist so that has to be factored into the equation)

Also nothing about the reviews I read gave the indication that the pieces I purchased were less than awesome for my application.

Today with what you've said would I have gone the same route??? Maybe not. BUT I absolutely have no regrets.

As you continue to educate me (which is why I'm in here) maybe I'll simply upgrade after the wedding. Who knows...

Thanks again
post #658 of 6846 Old 12-12-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:

2 pr. of iQ1s @ $260/pr. + 1 iQ2c @ $220/ea. = $740

Spend the rest on a good subwoofer and you'll have a system that's much better than any of your listed choices.

I'll look into those. Thanks. Any recommendations on subwoofer? the room i'm using is actually pretty decent size, but the listening area is much smaller (it's a dining room/living room apartment area basically.

Also I was reading in the "Truth about bose" article that plastic housings for speakers tend to perform very poorly and what not compared to traditional MDF housings. However, I noticed that the KEF 2005/3005/5005 series use similar plastic casings to hold their l/r/c/sl/sr speakers...i guess they do something differently with their speakers to still make it sound good?

~G
post #659 of 6846 Old 12-12-2007, 10:37 AM

Just got the Kef 3005SE 5.1 set up and have a couple of noob question:

1. Am I supposed to leave the port bung in or take it out on the satellites?
2. I also got a Denon 2308ci with it- any idea what the best subwoofer crossover setting is with the 3005 sub?

Thanks.
post #660 of 6846 Old 12-12-2007, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbellius View Post

Just got the Kef 3005SE 5.1 set up and have a couple of noob question:

1. Am I supposed to leave the port bung in or take it out on the satellites?

I don't have your speaker model, but KEF's generally indicate that the port bung is used to reduce the bass response when it's too strong, such as in a corner placement in your room, or if you stick them inside a shelf (god forbid).
As for the crossover frequency, KEF specifies only that the frequency response is 70 Hz to 55 kHz and 30-250 Hz for the sub, and they don't say anything about how far down from zero they went before they decided where the cutoff point was on the sats. So I would suggest you start with your crossover at either 80 Hz or 100 Hz, but not any lower, and see which sounds better. Going lower than 80 is likely to leave you with a dip (but you can't tell how much), and going over 100 will make the bass too directional.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page