KEF Owners Thread - Page 230 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2014, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello all,

I'm going to demo a set of Q700 & Q900 speakers on Sunday to see how I like them and if I do I will buy a set... I am just wondering if anybody has an opinion on how either set will be with my Parasound NewClassic 2250 (275wpc all channels driven) since I won't be able to listen to them on my own personal amp.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
The Three bookshelf is better than the ThreeC center?
Much. The 3C does not have good polars in the lower midrange, because of interference. It's not quite a bad as a "toppled MTM" because NHT's dome tweeter goes down an octave lower than most domes. But it's still pretty bad, and IME audibly different from the Three.

The Three is a very, very good speaker. It's voiced a tad hotter on top than the typical KEF, and it has wider coverage than the Uni-Q because the MF/HF drivers are smaller and working on a smaller baffle. So on second thought if you room has very reflective sidewalls (say, glass) a Q may actually be a better fit for your room. OTOH, if your room is an open-plan loft, then the wider coverage of the NHT design will be superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinically_ill View Post
Hello all,

I'm going to demo a set of Q700 & Q900 speakers on Sunday to see how I like them and if I do I will buy a set... I am just wondering if anybody has an opinion on how either set will be with my Parasound NewClassic 2250 (275wpc all channels driven) since I won't be able to listen to them on my own personal amp.***
Don't sweat it. Your amp is a low source impedance, high output design, so it won't interfere with the speakers at all. As long as you listen to them through a modern solid state (or "load invariant" Class D, e.g. Icepower, Hypex, Anaview) amp with a bit of power the amp won't matter.

What might matter is if your room configuration is much different from the showroom. Amps don't matter much. Rooms are huge.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
Old 10-17-2014, 11:20 AM

Thanks for that response I was under the impression my amp might change the way they sound quite a bit but if not then that's good
With 275wpc is it dangerous to drive Q700? They are rated at 150w but I don't want to put out the cost for 900's if they sound the same for mids/highs since I have an SVS PB12-Plus for bass
Old 10-17-2014, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
One wall is almost all glass but I have black out curtains over it. Will that still make a difference? The wall is about 20' and 16' of that is glass. Also have a sliding glass door but that's behind the L/C/R.

Thanks for the reply.

Living Room
*NHT ThreeC *NHT Classic Three's (4) *Denon 3313ci *Outlaw Audio LFM-1EX (2)

Game Room
*NHT Absolute Tower (2) *Denon E300
Old 10-17-2014, 09:23 PM

I am also wondering, how would the Q200 or Q600 center speakers sound paired with R300's as L/R?

I can get a set of R300 for the same price as I can get the Q700... would this be a big improvement? Would it sound totally crappy mixed & matched unless I got the R200 center?
Old 10-17-2014, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi I have a full KEF Q Series 5.1 setup. Mostly I am very happy with them except for one thing. When listening to the Q900's in 2 channel stereo they sound flat and lifeless especially in the mid/high range. Vocals especially sound disappointing. When I use surround decoder so that the other speakers are used it sounds much better. Vocals are lifted and crisp. My other speakers are Q600c and Q300's. I know they have a smaller Uni-Q tweeter but I would have expected the Q900's on their own to sound great. I've tested the frequency response of the Q900's using a youtube video and I can hear a full range of frequencies from 20Hz to 15kHz.

My receiver is the Yamaha RX-V2075 (almost identical to the RX-A2020, it even has the fifth foot!).
Old 10-18-2014, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinically_ill View Post
I am also wondering, how would the Q200 or Q600 center speakers sound paired with R300's as L/R?

I can get a set of R300 for the same price as I can get the Q700... would this be a big improvement? Would it sound totally crappy mixed & matched unless I got the R200 center?

It certainly wouldn't sound crappy. You might hear a difference in tonality. My gut is, with movies it won't make a significant difference. With multichannel music, the difference might be more obvious, but again not annoyingly significant. But the center speaker will never sound exactly like the LR anyway due to placement and in your case the fact that it's a horizontal design. That being said KEF's center speakers are one of the best out there due to the Uni-Q. So it will sound very, very close.

Now I'm pretty anal, so I'd want them to be from the same series but that is purely an aesthetic choice. Also, budget is definitely a factor as is your room size. (How big is it?) I might go for the R300's and patiently look for a used R200 to save money. Or spend the extra bucks now.

Or go for the q200C with the Q500's or Q100's (again, room size and how loud you like to listen would determine this.) If you went this way, you have more left over for multiple subs. If it's between R series and one sub, vs Q series and multiple subs, I'd go Q series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little Loft Home Theater
Old 10-19-2014, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone else noticed this with their Q900's? The HF connectors are not connected to any drivers!? When I put the speakers into bi-wire mode and connect just the HF connectors I get no sound at all. When I connect the LF connectors (still in bi-wire mode) I get sound from both the bass woofer and Uni-Q cone. I expected the HF/LF to be separate and each set of connectors to drive the Uni-Q or bass woofer independently. What's going on?
Old 10-19-2014, 02:27 PM

Omg, I just bought my Q700 towers & Q200 center. I could not be happier these things sound IMMACULATE. I actually listened to both the Q & R series I preferred the Q series over the R! I did not expect that, it just goes to show everything comes down to personal preference I actually wouldn't have gotten the R even at the same price just because I loved the way the Q's sound. I ended up picking up the floor model Q700s because they had a peg stuck in the holder but I got a new grill with all the pegs and when I went home I just took a small drill to the peg and it pulled right out he gave me all 3 speakers for $1100
ambesolman likes this.

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair
Gear in this thread