post #6991 of 7004 Old 12-16-2014, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritiumglo View Post
Great equipment list.

Maybe if you tell us what you feel you are missing or where your speakers are deficient, we could help you narrow down your choices.

If you are going to spend the kind of money these speakers command you must listen to them!!! Expensive doesnt always mean good!!! It is a huge gamble to get any of these and be disappointed with them. Speakers depreciate faster than a VW.

Congrats on a great system, you clearly have put a lot of thought and effort into it. The question and thoughts above are excellent advice. What might seem better on paper may not actually be better once you get them into your own room and system.

I have 207's in a fairly large room and had the opportunity to audition the Blade's in my system. The Blade's were definitely a step up in the midrange and more open, transparent, and detailed - but ultimately I couldn't get the bass balance and imaging in my room to a satisfactory level. No doubt the Blade is a great speaker and technically superior to the 207 series, but as always everything is room and system dependent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6992 of 7004 Old 12-17-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 70
First review that I am aware of on the new Reference, this the 1s
http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index....1-loudspeakers
post #6993 of 7004 Old 12-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
First review that I am aware of on the new Reference, this the 1s
http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index....1-loudspeakers

AWESOME! Thanks. I have been googling every other day to see if a formal review came in yet. I am not a very good technical writer but those comments are pretty much spot on to what I felt and worded in my own way. The imaging was incredible as I had mentioned when first posting about these. The clarity without going over into bright (decent recordings) was great. Once I heard them against the other speakers I auditioned the choice came quickly. Low level listening was the best of the speakers in the group. I keep calling it the boogie factor fun I really was ready to get out my chair and dance around a bit. They were not veiled, not bright just a really fun speaker.

I have not seen the stands yet. Why are they taking so long with those I wonder? I did purchase them in black and I was charged $1k not $1500 and I would think $1k is more in line. Maybe the price went up and I got them cheaper but don't think so. I think it is an error in the review.

I also went with walnut. I did not want a high-gloss finish this time. It is becoming played out to me at this point and a wood veneer is more to my liking.

Thanks for the review. Makes me more excited to see if my Reference 1s will be in next week or soon after.

Rick

Last edited by Mr.SoftDome; 12-17-2014 at 11:25 AM.
post #6994 of 7004 Old 12-19-2014, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, those reference 1s look fantastic. I can't imagine being happier than I am right now with my R300s though.
post #6995 of 7004 Old 12-19-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Very impressive measurements - if you're looking for a speaker with smoothly decreasing sound power and relatively narrow high frequency dispersion.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #6996 of 7004 Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can someone advise on an amp for my front three channels: kef q100 sides and q200c center? Just ordered them yesterday, they will be part of a 3.2 system with dual svs sb1000. I was thinking Marantz 6008 but seeing as q100 is not a large speaker I want to make sure to get the most out of it when the volume is up which I'm not sure 6008 would do. So I'm considering taking Marantz pre-out to a separate amp. Appreciate your input.
post #6997 of 7004 Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLikesMusic View Post
Can someone advise on an amp for my front three channels: kef q100 sides and q200c center? Just ordered them yesterday, they will be part of a 3.2 system with dual svs sb1000. I was thinking Marantz 6008 but seeing as q100 is not a large speaker I want to make sure to get the most out of it when the volume is up which I'm not sure 6008 would do. So I'm considering taking Marantz pre-out to a separate amp. Appreciate your input.
Is a new Anthem MRX310 out of budget? That will give you plenty of power for Q100s, and much better room correction than the Marantz. No separate amp needed or even useful. (I've run Q100's off of an MRX300, a Sherwood R-972 AVR, a Sherwood R965 amp, an ATI AT2007 amp...as well a Parasound Zamp v3 miniamp and even a Teac A-H01 integrated.

If an MRX310 is out of budget, a used MRX300/500/700 would be my next choice.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #6998 of 7004 Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Will it work for my dual subs? Is the 310 going to sound better than 6008 because of the room correction? My q100s will be in a cabinet so if Anthem could help combat those effects better than Marantz I'm interested. But only 60w per channel (5.1) vs marantz 110 if I'm reading this right, so volume won't be able to go as high?
post #6999 of 7004 Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Which center channel Q600 or Q200 with Q900?

post #7000 of 7004 Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Will it work for my dual subs?
Better than any system using Audyssey's hackneyed approach to multisubs. Just use a Y-cable out of the MRX's sub out.

In my previous home I used 5 subs and an MRX300. (I did use an 8x8 miniDSP as a subwoofer DSP.)

Quote:
Is the 310 going to sound better than 6008 because of the room correction?
That's the only thing that will sound different between them, and preference is preference but I think ARC is the best room correction system currently available on a reasonably-priced AVR. And I don't think #2 is close.

Quote:
But only 60w per channel (5.1) vs marantz 110 if I'm reading this right, so volume won't be able to go as high?
Sorta/kinda/not really. In theory given perfect speakers the difference between 60W and 110W is about 2.5dB of headroom. But real drivers suffer from power compression at loud levels. Also, looking at bench tests of previous models, it does not appear the Marantz will be much more powerful anyway:
Marantz 6006
Anthem MRX 300

Short form, both put about about 75W/8Ω/5ch. Into two channels, the Marantz has a very slight advantage, but that amounts to just about 0.5dB into 4Ω, which is the appropriate nominal impedance for the Q100.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #7001 of 7004 Old Today, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post
Which center channel Q600 or Q200 with Q900?
I would certainly think Q600 for the Q900 of you can accommodate the larger center.
post #7002 of 7004 Old Today, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Im using the Q600 with my Q900s and they pair very well together.

Samsung 51" Plasma E530, Pioneer SC-1222-K, Sony BDP-S5200, Roku 3, Custom HTPC/XBMC, KEF Q600c -center, KEF Q900- mains, Definitive Technology SM450- side surrounds, Definitive Technology SM350- rear surrounds, Custom sub 'end table' with 12" Oz Audio Matrix Elite, Crown XLS 1500 sub amp, Harmony 650 and IRule remotes
post #7003 of 7004 Old Today, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks guy's just wanted to make sure I got the right one.

post #7004 of 7004 Old Today, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
BrianLikesMusic,

Use the following web app to determine the power requirements for your speakers: http://kef.com/html/hk_en/showroom/h...100/index.html

The sensitivity of the KEF Q100 is 86dB/W/m, while the Q200c is 85dB/W/m. I'd use the lower rating to be on the safe side. Where do you plan to place the speakers in the room in proximity to the room boundaries? How far away is the Main Listening Position (MLP) is from speakers? These will determine the power requirements.

The goal is to achieve 105dB peak. Power requirements rises exponentially the further one sits away from the speakers. The same thing when listening at loud levels as a 3dB increase in SPL is doubling the power requirements.

If you plan to off-load some of the low frequencies (i.e. bass) to the more cable dual SVS1000 subs, there would be some extra headroom available to the amp section of the receiver.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page