KEF Owners Thread - Page 244 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #7291 of 7300 Old 04-09-2015, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
That's great Chris!! Black beauties right? Let the run-in begin soon!

Rick
Where is saxguy? I am pretty sure he received his blades last weekend..

Couldn't wait to see how they look in his dedicated room..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 7300 Old 04-09-2015, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
That's great Chris!! Black beauties right? Let the run-in begin soon!

Rick
Yes. Dealer sent me some pics, of another Black pair he was unpacking. Real beauties to be sure.

District Account Representative - Mid-Atlantic
Theater Max, LLC

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #7293 of 7300 Old 04-11-2015, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 30
So today is the day. Finally, I get to showoff my new Blade 2s

We decided to have a listen in today and we invited one of our most critical listener - Chris Lehner. Chris is one of the most die hard audiophiles we've ever met and we have the utmost respect for his ears.

Chris drove from Maryland to NJ to our audiophile listening event and we had a blast! Also here was Craig Shumer of Theatermax and some of you may know that him and I are involved in some Audio endeavors together. Craig is Authorized Kef, Theta, Aesthetix and lots more and of course helps us get the most amazing products at attainable prices.. We sat and played for hours drooling over what was going to blow our minds next. When a system reaches this level of sonics you can’t wait to put on another track to see what it can do. Time was flying and before we knew it we wanted to hear some other components in the system which Chris has brought with him.. We tested some Wyred for Sound Mono’s which are much less expensive and they did very well. They drove the Blades surprisingly well for the money and kept the sound stage really nice. Not quite like the Prometheus Monos but very very nice.

As a reference we stuck with the Theta Prometheus Mono's, the KEF Blade 2 and the Aesthetix Pandora Signature DAC. For Chris, this was the first time hearing the Blade 2 and I think he's really blown away. He seemed to have a big smirk on his face. We listened to a variety of Different tracks. Chris brought up a nice selection of DSD files in addition to my music library. As they continue to break in our excitement grows as we can not believe what comes out of these speakers. Lets not forget we have the Theta Prometheus Mono’s using the Hypex Ncore 1200 amp modules with Linear power which not only does Stereophile love but its our Reference Amplifier at this point. I am not sure there is a better amp on the market but thats just us and Stereophile saying that

We have had Aerials and Josephs and others as well on these amps but we have never heard anything like the Blade 2 and Prometheus combo. I'm sure Chris will be posting something as soon as he gets home.

Chris also had another reason for his trip and this is super exciting as well. He came up to get from Craig his long awaited KEF Reference 1 Speakers. The Reference 1 from what we read is going to be amazing and if we had more time we probably would have opened them and gave them a try but time flies when your having this much fun. Chris also had a long trip back and I know he wanted to get home to start to break in his new Ref 1s. I am sure he will be posting about that as well.

I'll keep updating as the speakers break in.

ambesolman likes this.

Last edited by saxguy; 04-12-2015 at 10:18 AM.
post #7294 of 7300 Old 04-11-2015, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxguy View Post
So today is the day. Finally, I get to demo my new Blade 2s for my buddy Craig from Theatermax and one of our new audiophile friends, Chris Lehner. Chris drove up from Maryland to NJ to have a little audiophile listening event and we had a blast! We had the three of us here and we listened to them for a few hours, playing with some different amplifiers and things but as a reference we the Theta Prometheus, the KEF Blade 2 and the Aesthetix Pandora Signature DAC. For Chris, this was the first time hearing the Blade 2 and I think he's really blown away. He seemed to have a big smirk on his face. We listened to a variety of Different tracks. Chris brought up a nice selection of DSD files in addition to my music library. We're just getting more and more excited to listen to these and really enjoy them. I'm sure Chris will be posting something as soon as he gets home. I'll keep updating as the speakers break in.

AWESOME WOW- I bet they sound amazing- They sure look it for sure. I got to hear the Blades against the Ref 5 when I purchased my REF 1s. Both incredible speakers for sure and little brother REF 1 Looking forward to some additional conversation!

Rick
post #7295 of 7300 Old 04-11-2015, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

And for the record...since I've had to say this privately, more than a few times; since sharing with people...I had the privilege of hearing these Blade IIs today. Blades and Blade IIs, really are likely...2 different animals. I mean...the IIs have (4) x 6.5" bass-drivers (force-canceling); and the bass was HUGE...but still tight and super-fast, with no over-hang or smear (as long as your amp has the juice to keep them that way!).

The Blades...are (4) x 9" bass-drivers! We had a discussion...based on the way the IIs easily filled George's considerable room; about how big the room would need to be...to keep the much larger Blades, from sounding bloated and out-of-balance. The consensus? Very BIG!! LOL

Theater Max, LLC

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #7296 of 7300 Old 04-12-2015, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickering.tim View Post
i have cm10s and picked up the ls50s a little bit ago. I have really enjoyed the sound and am pretty amazed at both the UniQ driver delivering such a clean sound given the architecture is a challenging one. I have always been a floorstaner guy - not just because most of them suit my tastes (I listen a lot without my subwoofers) but because I dont like using the stands or the aesthetics as much on standmounted speakers.

So I brought home some r700s (bought them from Kef Direct - long story there for another time) and now I am going to try and put both pairs of KEF speakers through the gauntlet so to speak and use my cm10s as somewhat of a reference point for lack of a better word.

Any advice on how to reasonable compare the bookshelf speakers to the floorstanders? It is certainly far from apples to apples and I have a halo integrated I can use to pull in subs if necessary. I had the ls50s on a piece of hardwood furniture but felt the sound was a bit restricted given they either had to be palced on top (like 48 in high or something) or within a front/back open but sided in cubby that is not more than 1.7 x the volume of the speakers. i also tried them on my very large heavy as sh*t desk where they sounded much better and on my stands that usually hold my b&w cm5s. I need to play around with them on the stands more but my room is fairly limiting in terms of given speakers an equal backdrop l/r.

let me know if any has experience with these speakers and has any tips and the thing I am battling internally most of all is ......should I wait (i would be waiting awhile) to get a pair of the reference 3s or 5s???

I really like the UniQ sound and I am sort of set on my next pair of speakers being from KEF as it really has a different sound than my CM10s...I am kind of feeling the smart thing would be to return both sets of speakers (this would set me back a boatload of cash on the r700s though but not enough to really kill me) and wait out til i can afford a reference line speaker. I would also most definitely try to get out and listen to them if possible - although i havent seen any around where i live...not yet
I just listened to the R700's and then the reference 3's back to back. In my humble opinion the reference 3, as expected, is a huge step up in sound quality. Significantly tighter bass, mid and high end substantially more open. The r700 was a little hard on my ears at a loud setting, the reference 3's were just outstanding, but for 13k they should be! Listened to mostly acoustic rock but ray lamontagne sounded unbelievable on the 3's. I am debating between the 3's and the tannoy dc10 ti's which are less money but also employ the dual concentric design..
post #7297 of 7300 Old 04-12-2015, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
AWESOME WOW- I bet they sound amazing- They sure look it for sure. I got to hear the Blades against the Ref 5 when I purchased my REF 1s. Both incredible speakers for sure and little brother REF 1 Looking forward to some additional conversation!

Rick
Here's a little blurb, I posted elsewhere...about the experience:

...all I can say is WoW

Granted...I don't go to shows; and have never auditioned a speaker, costing its $26,000 list. But I can tell you this: I've owned my fair share, of ~$10,000 pairs; and have always been of the mind, law of diminishing returns starts to kick in...not soon there after. Don't get me wrong; I'm not naive. I know there are better speakers, beyond that price point...of course; I just never would have thought, you could appreciate a true "3-fold" kind of difference (you guys know what I'm saying, having a fine understanding of LODR yourself).

However...after the "audition" I had yesterday (about 2 hours...with some of my music; but mostly just listening, bullsh*tting, and talking shop with the dealer and my new audiophile compadre George); if I had the money...I would have ordered a pair of these! The amount of bass, was astounding; yet...it was super-tight and fast, and therefore never over-hung the Uni-Q to create a smeared presentation. 4 force-cancelling drivers per side; with some bass-heavy demo tracks, played LOUD. Yet the cabinet, never quivered at all; I lay my hand on it, and couldn't feel a thing (I've heard, they stand a nickel on edge...at shows).

It is really almost a visual miracle, and engineering wonder; that the 5" Uni-Q can stand up to that kind of bass output. Yet...mids were prominent, rich (if not quite luscious, like say a Harbeth), and perfectly in balance; and highs were extended, yet never etched or fatiguing. There were a few tracks...where female vocals were perhaps a touch honky still; but I have no doubt, that will subside with break-in.

When I told some, I was going to hear Blade IIs...I got some feedback that they've heard Blades (I) at shows, and were less-than-impressed; especially at the $32,000 price tag. I have to say...anybody who might have written the model off, based on the Blades; owes themselves another listen, to the IIs. Keep in mind; the IIs have (4) 6.5" bass-drivers per side...against the Blades (4) 9". That's a pretty big difference...and one of the things we discussed yesterday, based on what we heard in this client's room; is just how big a room you'd need...for the Blades (I), to not sound ridiculously over-loaded and out-of-balance. The consensus? REALLY big, lol. Maybe that's what was going, at some of the places where they've showed.

Anyway; it was a real eye-opener for me...and a helluva lot of fun!

Theater Max, LLC

post #7298 of 7300 Old Today, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

We decided to have a listen in today and we invited one of our most critical listener - Chris Lehner. Chris is one of the most die hard audiophiles we've ever met and we have the utmost respect for his ears.

Chris drove from Maryland to NJ to our audiophile listening event and we had a blast! Also here was Craig Shumer of Theatermax and some of you may know that him and I are involved in some Audio endeavors together. Craig is Authorized Kef, Theta, Aesthetix and lots more and of course helps us get the most amazing products at attainable prices.. We sat and played for hours drooling over what was going to blow our minds next. When a system reaches this level of sonics you can’t wait to put on another track to see what it can do. Time was flying and before we knew it we wanted to hear some other components in the system which Chris has brought with him.. We tested some Wyred for Sound Mono’s which are much less expensive and they did very well. They drove the Blades surprisingly well for the money and kept the sound stage really nice. Not quite like the Prometheus Monos but very very nice.

As a reference we stuck with the Theta Prometheus Mono's, the KEF Blade 2 and the Aesthetix Pandora Signature DAC. For Chris, this was the first time hearing the Blade 2 and I think he's really blown away. He seemed to have a big smirk on his face. We listened to a variety of Different tracks. Chris brought up a nice selection of DSD files in addition to my music library. As they continue to break in our excitement grows as we can not believe what comes out of these speakers. Lets not forget we have the Theta Prometheus Mono’s using the Hypex Ncore 1200 amp modules with Linear power which not only does Stereophile love but its our Reference Amplifier at this point. I am not sure there is a better amp on the market but thats just us and Stereophile saying that

We have had Aerials and Josephs and others as well on these amps but we have never heard anything like the Blade 2 and Prometheus combo. I'm sure Chris will be posting something as soon as he gets home.

Chris also had another reason for his trip and this is super exciting as well. He came up to get from Craig his long awaited KEF Reference 1 Speakers. The Reference 1 from what we read is going to be amazing and if we had more time we probably would have opened them and gave them a try but time flies when your having this much fun. Chris also had a long trip back and I know he wanted to get home to start to break in his new Ref 1s. I am sure he will be posting about that as well.

Are they Piano black or some other color? Hard to tell from the posted picture.
post #7299 of 7300 Old Today, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 30
They are piano black. I was going to get graphite, but the piano is stunning.
post #7300 of 7300 Unread Today, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Beautiful. Really enjoy my 205/2s, but I bet they sound amazing especially with the amps you are driving them with. SJ
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page