KEF Owners Thread - Page 247 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7381 of 7401 Old 05-15-2015, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Link?
http://www.zinio.com/www/browse/prod...ductId=6537936

I assume they'll have the review on their website soon, but for now it's only in the magazine in analog (i.e. paper) and digital (i.e. Zinio) editions.
ambesolman likes this.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7382 of 7401 Old 05-22-2015, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 185
UPS did good today. I know what I'm doing this weekend...

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #7383 of 7401 Old 05-22-2015, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post
Awesome Tom! These are the same speakers I am looking at, along with 5160s for the fronts. What type of system are you putting together with these - Atmos?
post #7384 of 7401 Old 05-22-2015, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Awesome Tom! These are the same speakers I am looking at, along with 5160s for the fronts. What type of system are you putting together with these - Atmos?
These will be the surround (Ci200RR-THX) and surround back (Ci3160-THX) speakers in a "real world" 7.1 system that many of my customers would enjoy in there home. It's in a living room / showroom.

Front end gear is Marantz, Parasound and OPPO. I have this 7.1 system set up as a zone in my whole house audio system HEOS by Denon. It's pretty slick, I can turn on the whole 7.1 system for a demo or I can select just the in-ceiling and/or in-wall speakers with or without subs. In this configuration Audyssey does it's thing in 7.1 mode but it's disabled using only in-wall or in-ceiling speakers because it's wired into the multi channel inputs on the Marantz. The whole HEOS system is IP controlled through a smartphone or tablet app. My customers love it and it's a great way for me to let them hear lots of different options.

I haven't really jumped on the Atmos train yet. Most of my customers do living room or media rooms systems. 99. 9% of the world could care less and would be better served with a nice 2 channel, 5.1 or 7.1 if they are into movies and TV and whole house audio. Ymmv

post #7385 of 7401 Old 05-26-2015, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowayne View Post
After too much research, I have zeroed in on KEF Q100s as my preferred option for a new front sound stage.

I also want to use a third Q100 as the center speaker. Problem is, I can't seem to find anywhere that will sell me a single speaker. Ebay, craigslist, google are all failing me.

(redacted)
Just a quick update. I got 2 pairs of Q100's and set up the front 3 as advertised (wife thinks they are too big, but I squeaked by). Oddly enough, my Pioneer AVR detected the Q100s as 'large speakers', which I figured was reserved for floor standers.

Rounding out the set up is a Rhythmick LVR12 sub (80hz x-over) and I have old Boston's as surrounds which are fine for movies/games.

I realize there are better worlds out there, but for me I have hit the sweet spot before major diminishing returns. Particularly when accounting for the constraints of my listening area. The broad soundstage, crystal clear dialogue, and minimal loss of mid/high bass levels from wall mounting is great.

Now to figure out what to do with this spare Q100. I'm half tempted to run it mono on an older system.

Happy to answer questions from anyone in the same process I was.
post #7386 of 7401 Old 05-26-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I'm currently running the same setup and agree it's a bit of a sweet spot. The imaging from three Uni-Q drivers LCR across the front is excellent for HT/surround listening.

FWIW, I would change your AVR settings to view the speakers as "small".

I ended up keeping my extra Q100 as a spare.

Enjoy!
post #7387 of 7401 Old 05-27-2015, 09:32 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Wink

Quote:
Sweet , I hope they are not damaged the boxes look like they took a beating!
post #7388 of 7401 Old 05-27-2015, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
These will be the surround (Ci200RR-THX) and surround back (Ci3160-THX) speakers in a "real world" 7.1 system that many of my customers would enjoy in there home. It's in a living room / showroom.

Front end gear is Marantz, Parasound and OPPO. I have this 7.1 system set up as a zone in my whole house audio system HEOS by Denon. It's pretty slick, I can turn on the whole 7.1 system for a demo or I can select just the in-ceiling and/or in-wall speakers with or without subs. In this configuration Audyssey does it's thing in 7.1 mode but it's disabled using only in-wall or in-ceiling speakers because it's wired into the multi channel inputs on the Marantz. The whole HEOS system is IP controlled through a smartphone or tablet app. My customers love it and it's a great way for me to let them hear lots of different options.

I haven't really jumped on the Atmos train yet. Most of my customers do living room or media rooms systems. 99. 9% of the world could care less and would be better served with a nice 2 channel, 5.1 or 7.1 if they are into movies and TV and whole house audio. Ymmv
When are you installing them? Some unboxing pics would be great. :drool:
post #7389 of 7401 Old 05-27-2015, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Those aren't boxes, they're shipping containers. Hahaha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1432788463919.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	741393   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1432788518840.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	741401   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1432788583226.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	741409  
Mikenificent1 likes this.

post #7390 of 7401 Old 05-27-2015, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Another angle, these are set up as surround rears but can also be played for demo purposes in 2 channel mode with or without subs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1432788921038.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	741417  

Last edited by Tom Grooms; 05-27-2015 at 10:06 PM.
post #7391 of 7401 Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
KEF R series?

I recently sold my KEF Q900's and Q600C. I purchased them used and I have a feeling that they were bad. They sounded muddy and not clear at all. I had them paired with the Arcam AVR 600,which I also sold. Anyway, I have had a few people telling me that I should look into the KEF R series next. How much of a difference is the R series from the Q series? Just looking for clear, amazing sound. Oh, these will be paired to the Krell Foundation and Chorus 5200 amp. Thanks for the info.
post #7392 of 7401 Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Another angle, these are set up as surround rears but can also be played for demo purposes in 2 channel mode with or without subs
Nice Nest, bro.
post #7393 of 7401 Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post
I recently sold my KEF Q900's and Q600C. I purchased them used and I have a feeling that they were bad. They sounded muddy and not clear at all. I had them paired with the Arcam AVR 600,which I also sold. Anyway, I have had a few people telling me that I should look into the KEF R series next. How much of a difference is the R series from the Q series? Just looking for clear, amazing sound. Oh, these will be paired to the Krell Foundation and Chorus 5200 amp. Thanks for the info.
R series are quite good but for those electronics I would look at the new Reference line. The new Reference is just really coming out regarding availablilty. If not Kef then Revel Ultima2 or BMW 800 series or other brands at that level. Your Krell items deserve that level of speaker, IMO. Do not pay MSRP for any of those by the way.
brickyardz likes this.
post #7394 of 7401 Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks for the info!
post #7395 of 7401 Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Talking

Quote:
Those aren't boxes, they're shipping containers. Hahaha.
Fantastic
post #7396 of 7401 Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello KEF Owners !!
Im planning to change my dedicated HT center channel speaker...which I've found to be the most difficult to choose. Im currently using a Tannoy FC Custom (Raised Tweeter MTM) which is a very nice speaker and has a very pleasing and natural sound...but It has the inherent oddity of being MTM Horizontal design and I can't cope with it, IM very picky about voices on movies.
If I place the Tannoy Vertically it works the way I like it but that configuration is just not possible ( quite obvious on the picture) on my HT...so Its not the sound signature of it...its the design
I recently got a good deal on an extra pair of surrounds Boston CR57 (I love those speakers), so IM currently using one of those Bookshelf as a center speaker...it works wonderfully , I like how coherent and real voices sound...but I don't feel comfortably pushing it hard as a center channel...its has a 4½" woofer and recommended power only 75W...plus if I get a new center I could use this pair of CR57 on a 2.1 setup somewhere over the home.

Well, why am I telling you all of this folks? I find KEF UniQ technology very interesting...and as far as i've researched theory dictates a Coaxial driver would be the perfect center channel, working as a pointsource, with no lobbing dispersion, hence great vocal reproduction. The only problem is that there are lots of centers to choose from KEF. And where I live, buying a brand new series is not an option...I've Found fragmented opinions and reviews all over the internet, but not a single place where several KEF centers are "compared".

Has any of you folks owned or had the privilege of auditioning several KEF centers? I would like to know if there is a significant evolution, sound quality between the given series...significant, not subtle..And please don't focus on the low bass performance...i would leave that parameter off...since I use a subwoofer crossed at 100hz

Reference Model 200 - 100 - 90
Q9c ( improvement should be over the "curved cabinet" design)
iQ6c (improvement should be the addition of twin bass drivers)
iQ60c ( is it that much better that "tangerine" tweeter over its predecessors ? )

Are those improvements realy night and day ? worth spending an extra $100-$200...? I know its very subjetive...but i much prefer to choose over a listening review by the ear than just the "marketing literature" found on Kef website

I asking for your help because I haven't had the opportunity of listening to them, there are no dealers near town (Arg) . My preference is neutral and natural sound. Where I live I could order online a used Ref Model 90 for good deal

Cheers KEF owners !

"At the Core , its all about the music" S. Jobs
post #7397 of 7401 Old Today, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 379
I've had the single Q driver Kef speaker- avoid them. The multi-driver centers are much better quality. I'd look for a Kef Model 200 Reference, I have one and it's superb. It's 4ohm so needs a good amplifier. With matching Kef Reference Model 2.2

If you're looking for new, checkout the Kef R600C.

The older Kef Reference line don't have any spare drivers, so if you blow a treble/bass that's it, unless you buy another used speaker of the same type and salvage what you can.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$_12.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	743249  

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
post #7398 of 7401 Old Today, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecnogadget View Post
Hello KEF Owners !!
Im planning to change my dedicated HT center channel speaker...which I've found to be the most difficult to choose. Im currently using a Tannoy FC Custom (Raised Tweeter MTM) which is a very nice speaker and has a very pleasing and natural sound...but It has the inherent oddity of being MTM Horizontal design and I can't cope with it, IM very picky about voices on movies.
If I place the Tannoy Vertically it works the way I like it but that configuration is just not possible ( quite obvious on the picture) on my HT...so Its not the sound signature of it...its the design
I recently got a good deal on an extra pair of surrounds Boston CR57 (I love those speakers), so IM currently using one of those Bookshelf as a center speaker...it works wonderfully , I like how coherent and real voices sound...but I don't feel comfortably pushing it hard as a center channel...its has a 4½" woofer and recommended power only 75W...plus if I get a new center I could use this pair of CR57 on a 2.1 setup somewhere over the home.
I just went through a similar process as you. I replaced some Boston CR65s and a smaller Boston center speaker. I wanted better vocals mostly (although smoother ~80hz-~150hz was also lacking with my Bostons). The great thing about the 'tangerine' is that it broadcasts clear, smooth vocals to a wide soundstage, AT ANY ANGLE OF CONFIGURATION. This was 75% of the reason I went with KEF (the remainder being the front porting for my wall mounts).

I ended up with with 3 identical Q100's with L/R in normal vertical configuration and the C laid horizontal on its side. Even with suboptimal room placement they are outstanding. Great bang for the buck, as reported by others besides myself. If you want to go even better I'd recommend staying with the 130mm (5.25in.) sized UniQ woofer options. The larger UniQ woofers are reported make slight compromises on the mids to get lower bass, which you don't need.
post #7399 of 7401 Old Today, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I owned a pair of IQ90s. They were OK. Nothing really impressed me about them. Good drivers but the cabinet is very light.
post #7400 of 7401 Old Today, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
I've had the single Q driver Kef speaker- avoid them. The multi-driver centers are much better quality. I'd look for a Kef Model 200 Reference, I have one and it's superb. It's 4ohm so needs a good amplifier. With matching Kef Reference Model 2.2

If you're looking for new, checkout the Kef R600C.

The older Kef Reference line don't have any spare drivers, so if you blow a treble/bass that's it, unless you buy another used speaker of the same type and salvage what you can.
Unfortunately where i live new models are higly overpriced or impossible to get. Kef R600C does not fit my budget . To give you an example, here the Q200 are sold for USS1000 - 1200...i would feel stupid paying that much while its MSRP should be something like $450...
Yep that Kef Model 200 Reference looks like a great option, i like the fact that its wide and slim. So which single UniQ model did you own, perhaps Ref Model 100 or 90 ? Could you give me some more little details about what you didn't like about them ?
Thanks for the reply

"At the Core , its all about the music" S. Jobs
post #7401 of 7401 Old Today, 08:02 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecnogadget View Post
Hello KEF Owners !!......I asking for your help because I haven't had the opportunity of listening to them, there are no dealers near town (Arg) . My preference is neutral and natural sound. Where I live I could order online a used Ref Model 90 for good deal Cheers KEF owners !

I use the KEF LS-50 as my center channel. As a matter of fact in the mini theater I set-up for the kids I use 7 KEF LS-50 and the sound is outstanding
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page