KEF Owners Thread - Page 248 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7411 of 7436 Old 06-06-2015, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone knows how the new center channel Q200c compares to the old Reference Model 200c ? I've only read good reviews on both speakers, but could not find any real "deep review" on sound quality. I would like to know if Kef has made a significant leap forward with the Q200c (15 years in between both speakers should yield to some engineer evolution, doesn't it). Real life sound quality differences/improvement.

"At the Core , its all about the music" S. Jobs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7412 of 7436 Old 06-06-2015, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecnogadget View Post
Does anyone knows how the new center channel Q200c compares to the old Reference Model 200c ? I've only read good reviews on both speakers, but could not find any real "deep review" on sound quality. I would like to know if Kef has made a significant leap forward with the Q200c (15 years in between both speakers should yield to some engineer evolution, doesn't it). Real life sound quality differences/improvement.
I had someone saying the older 200/Model 1 to Model 4 Reference line are better than the R series.

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
post #7413 of 7436 Old 06-06-2015, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Has anyone measured the frequency response of the KEF Ci5160 or Ci3160? KEF does not publish a spec for the FR +/-3 dB, only +/- 6 dB, so I'd like to know how these really measure out. Thanks.
post #7414 of 7436 Old 06-06-2015, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Has anyone measured the frequency response of the KEF Ci5160 or Ci3160? KEF does not publish a spec for the FR +/-3 dB, only +/- 6 dB, so I'd like to know how these really measure out. Thanks.
Measurements of in-wall speakers are difficult. They would be all over the place depending on the room and wall enclosure size. A room with 8' ceilings with wood studs on 16" centers would certainly measure differently than a metal stud on 24" center wall that's 10' tall.

I have the Ci3160-THX setup and they are wonderful speakers. Without a doubt the best in-wall loudspeakers I've ever heard. My walls are 10 footers with metal studs on 24" centers. I packed 20 feet on insulation into each cavity to get best measured performance. The room is huge, 8800 cubic feet. I get usable output to 50Hz and they will play 105db @ 16 feet with big Parasound Halo power.

With that said, I wouldn't consider running them full range in my room. I have a couple big haus subwoofers to do the heavy lifting. Quite the opposite of my LS50's. Small room, 7' listening position and usable output to 38Hz. I wouldn't consider a sub in that room/system.

In-wall speakers are always a compromise. If you can't get a bookshelf or floor-stander property positioned in your room, the Ci3160-THX are an easy recommendation.

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #7415 of 7436 Old 06-06-2015, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
I had someone saying the older 200/Model 1 to Model 4 Reference line are better than the R series.
It would be nice a post or more descriptive data from your friend.
For what you can read here, kef literature makes sense in the way they 've come up with some innovation, at least for the Q series...
http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/en/..._010910_en.pdf
I searching for both Q200c and Ref Model 200c speakers cuttoffs pictures and acoustics measurements in order to form my own opinion...but haven't find yet. Would have been nice a deep review from Stereophile or similar.
Cheers !

"At the Core , its all about the music" S. Jobs
post #7416 of 7436 Old 06-06-2015, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post
Measurements of in-wall speakers are difficult. They would be all over the place depending on the room and wall enclosure size. A room with 8' ceilings with wood studs on 16" centers would certainly measure differently than a metal stud on 24" center wall that's 10' tall.

I have the Ci3160-THX setup and they are wonderful speakers. Without a doubt the best in-wall loudspeakers I've ever heard. My walls are 10 footers with metal studs on 24" centers. I packed 20 feet on insulation into each cavity to get best measured performance. The room is huge, 8800 cubic feet. I get usable output to 50Hz and they will play 105db @ 16 feet with big Parasound Halo power.

With that said, I wouldn't consider running them full range in my room. I have a couple big haus subwoofers to do the heavy lifting. Quite the opposite of my LS50's. Small room, 7' listening position and usable output to 38Hz. I wouldn't consider a sub in that room/system.

In-wall speakers are always a compromise. If you can't get a bookshelf or floor-stander property positioned in your room, the Ci3160-THX are an easy recommendation.
Thanks. I'm planning to use 3 Ci5160 as LCR behind my screen with 3160 for surrounds and 200RR for in-ceiling atmos. The 5160 will be in an engineered baffle wall. This should maximize their output. 3160 and 200 will be in baffle boxes. I will have multiple subs so I don't think there's much need to xo these below 80 Hz. The +/- 6 dB spec feels a little loosey-goosey to me. They spec other KEF speakers at +/- 3 dB. I think that's a lot more useful. Being down 3 dB toward the end of the range is ok, but being down 6 dB means to me that's not really the range then.

Sounds like you are using the Parasound Halo A31 or A51? How do you like it?

I'd love to hear from other KEF owners as to what amps they are using. And if they've considered a D-class amp. If I go with an AB class amp I am quite sure it'll be the Parasound. But I wounder if a d-sonic or other such D-class may possibly be a better option.
post #7417 of 7436 Old 06-07-2015, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Tell us about your room. Specifically dememtions, screen size and distance to main listening position. What's above your ceiling? Huge attic or another floor?

post #7418 of 7436 Old 06-10-2015, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just purchased a pair of Q100s, and I'm trying to set the crossover on my sub. I usually reference reviews in places like SoundandVision that have response graphs, but I can't find any online for the Q100s. (I prefer to do it this way, rather than purely by ear.)

Does anyone know of a Q100 response graph? If not, what do other Q100 owners set their crossover at?
post #7419 of 7436 Old 06-10-2015, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
Umm- need a center speaker?

Rick
Such a tease...

post #7420 of 7436 Old 06-10-2015, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Yeah I know Tom- I took the day off today, always nice but my buddies were all working. It was fun getting the box in. I don't have a handtruck. Got get one of those! It's 118lb boxed. Was fun but glad I got it in. Sure glad I went walnut with all three speakers. They look great. I bet black and rose are the choice for most but the walnut just kicks butt. I am having a high gloss free year this year! I have been phantom even prior to KEF for quite a while. Really looking forward to having a center back. Blu-ray concert coming up soon. See how she sounds..

And what's up with Mark A? He built my Ref 1s. Does he build everything? Pre-printed cards? I need to send him a thank-you sometime..

Edit: why these pics coming up so big instead of attachments? I alway drag and drop and they appear as normal attachments. Let me play with it. Not trying to be annoying with these pics.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized2.png
Views:	225
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	769025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized3.png
Views:	213
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	769033  

Last edited by Mr.SoftDome; 06-10-2015 at 05:34 PM.
post #7421 of 7436 Old 06-10-2015, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Umm- need a center speaker?

Rick
Congrats!! I have the 202/2c for my 205/2s and in my room it does outstanding. I think you are going to really like the Kef center, the Uni-Q really shines in that application. However, you have a Reference 5 driver wise so you may just like it a whole bunch more 😱
post #7422 of 7436 Old 06-10-2015, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Congrats Rick!

Can't wait for more pictures once you have your front LCR all setup..

BTW, what make you decide to go with Reference 4C instead of 2C?? Curious what influenced your decision..

Any thoughts of hosting a demo session to showcase your reference series?
post #7423 of 7436 Old 06-10-2015, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1983 View Post
I just purchased a pair of Q100s, and I'm trying to set the crossover on my sub. I usually reference reviews in places like SoundandVision that have response graphs, but I can't find any online for the Q100s. (I prefer to do it this way, rather than purely by ear.)

Does anyone know of a Q100 response graph? If not, what do other Q100 owners set their crossover at?
For home theater use I set the crossover to 80hz. Sounds great. FWIW, 80hz is the THX suggested standard.
post #7424 of 7436 Old 06-11-2015, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
That frequency response chart is just pure bliss. I've been a long time KEF owner (perks of my father previously working for Adcom and KEF) and haven't owned any other non-Uni-Q speaker. Are MTM centers really that noticeably different off-axis to the average listener or only critical listeners?

Kef | Adcom | Onkyo
post #7425 of 7436 Old 06-11-2015, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by te1221 View Post
... Are MTM centers really that noticeably different off-axis to the average listener or only critical listeners?
I notice it a lot and heard significant improvement when I went with a third Q100 as a center. But it's possible I'm more sensitive to center speaker lobbing issues (former musician).

Generally speaking the KEF horizontal centers (with the UniQ driver) produce less lobbing than most other horizontal center speakers I've heard.
post #7426 of 7436 Old 06-11-2015, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
Congrats Rick!

Can't wait for more pictures once you have your front LCR all setup..

BTW, what make you decide to go with Reference 4C instead of 2C?? Curious what influenced your decision..

Any thoughts of hosting a demo session to showcase your reference series?
Hey there- boy been sick as a dog today. Sometimes the best set-up is the one in your bedroom laying in bed.

A few things helped me decide on this guy.
I am buying a new place in October. It's been a long coming (bigger place) and a decent deal helped.

It makes my 70 inch display look small now! I for sure am open for a meet. I think I'm dying and going back to bed. I'll post a couple of pics over weekend. Going to Chicago on business two weeks leaving Sunday. Very limited play time before I leave. That sucks.

Rick

Last edited by Mr.SoftDome; 06-13-2015 at 12:39 AM. Reason: spelling
post #7427 of 7436 Old 06-12-2015, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Whew-man glad the fever broke in the middle of the night. Maybe I can play after work now. Cleaned-up the space before work. Can't wait to play tonight.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic1.png
Views:	179
Size:	364.1 KB
ID:	771993   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic3.png
Views:	169
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	772001  
post #7428 of 7436 Old 06-12-2015, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Whew-man glad the fever broke in the middle of the night. Maybe I can play after work now. Cleaned-up the space before work. Can't wait to play tonight.

Rick
Glad you will get a chance to play! Are you thinking 5s or Blade 2s for L&R moving the 1s to surround down the road in your bigger place? I have only got XQ40s for my surrounds but multichannel music is amazing. Can't wait for your impressions after a few hours of break-in.
post #7429 of 7436 Old 06-12-2015, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
Glad you will get a chance to play! Are you thinking 5s or Blade 2s for L&R moving the 1s to surround down the road in your bigger place? I have only got XQ40s for my surrounds but multichannel music is amazing. Can't wait for your impressions after a few hours of break-in.

Gonna enjoy what I have for now (-:
Maybe a second sub after move.

Rick

Last edited by Mr.SoftDome; 06-13-2015 at 01:09 AM.
post #7430 of 7436 Old 06-15-2015, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Gonna enjoy what I have for now (-:
Maybe a second sub after move.
Rick, are you using anything between the Reference 4C and your TV cabinet?

From the picture can't really tell if it is just lay flat on the cabinet or if there are rubber pads in between?
post #7431 of 7436 Old 06-15-2015, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
Rick, are you using anything between the Reference 4C and your TV cabinet?

From the picture can't really tell if it is just lay flat on the cabinet or if there are rubber pads in between?
Hey there. No I'm not as of yet. KEF put some pads on the corners underneath to protect your furniture but they allow no movement left or right to get it positioned. It's like no slip pads but not like it would go anywhere You must pick up the entire speaker to move it an inch. Those pads have no give.

I am going to try it as is before a lift. You'll notice if I did find some nice blocks, perhaps only an inch tall, the uni-q drivers will almost be perfectly aligned in height. But I tell you what, I did a quick calibration with my trusty radio shack meter and sat down for a movie last Thursday and my jaw was on the floor. It is really dang good across the front stage. There is no issue with larger center and monitors. It really is so good.

Then as stated I got sick that night and all has been dormant until last night. Drug myself out to watch the basketball game. I just have not felt up to screwing with it and even canceled the first leg of my business trip until next Sunday. Got an antibiotic today so should be good soon but just have not had enough time to even mess with integrating the sub again etc. I may well try some lifters underneath but I can say last Thursday night with Avatar I was really blown away.

With this virus and meds just today and now one week trip coming up this Sunday it may take me a month to get it all dialed in. The center needs a short run-in as well.

I think anybody considering a combined HT/Stereo set-up would be thrilled with these speakers. I need to put a little more work into it but I know just from last Thursday the payoff is going to be special.

The center does make it. I know there are phantom lovers out there and I had been one for a long time again before this pick-up but just to get the mix correct thru the front three and this sound- wow.

I will tell you these things love high current/high power amps. I get my monos turned up half way and they sing nicely but nothing near reference. Haven't tried to take it to the limit yet but just not so sure how they might respond to a lower powered amp. Maybe future owners will chime in.

More to come. Just have not had enough time yet due to being ill.

Rick
post #7432 of 7436 Old 06-15-2015, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Wouldn't the smaller Reference center be a better match for the Reference 1s?
post #7433 of 7436 Old 06-15-2015, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Wouldn't the smaller Reference center be a better match for the Reference 1s?
Couldn't tell ya. Never heard it.

If it sounds better than my brief time with the 4C more power to it (with Ref 1s). The center is the speaker so pick your poison how you want to go.

Rick
post #7434 of 7436 Old 06-19-2015, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
After some advice for damaged KEF C200 centre

Hi All,

Hoping someone may be able to help me. Just moved house and my much loved KEF C200 centre speaker was damaged by the movers (I have Reference 4's ad front speakers and Reference 1's as rear). Slightly gutted. What I'm trying to find out (for insurance purposes) is how much the C200 would have been new (I seem to remember paying about £800 - £900 for it but that was in the late 90's so I really can't remember). And also, what would be the equivalent KEF speaker today? I've had this speaker set-up over 15 years so really haven't kept up with things in recent years when it comes to speakers as I love the way they sound.

Any light anyone can shed would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

Pete
post #7435 of 7436 Old Today, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post
Another angle, these are set up as surround rears but can also be played for demo purposes in 2 channel mode with or without subs

They look nice. I am considering going with inwall speakers for projector setup.
post #7436 of 7436 Old Today, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1983 View Post

I had a pair of q100 briefly. It was one of those right-time, right place opportunity purchase. While it was it me, I thought for the size of the speaker, it produces pretty low fq. Of course the quality of the bass wasn't as refined. I actually x-over it at 120hz. Anyhow the q100s are with some one else. Pretty good bookshelves for it size that I feel punches above its weight class.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair
Gear in this thread