KEF Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 6952 Old 01-07-2008, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi i have just upgraded my home theatre setup.

Consisting of Kef Iq9 Mains
iq3 surrounds
Yamaha SW800 SUB
Yamaha rxv 496 amp (will be upgrading that one shortly)

ANd a kef 100c center.

What i want to know is, currently the 100c seems a little too strained at teh higher volumes (absolutely in love with the sound quality however). Im tossing up whether to move to a iq6c center. Im just a bit worried whether it is a good thing to do as ill be going from a reference quality centre to a iq series (albeit a larger one).

Im just worried that they may be brighter than what i have now, as ive noticed the iq9 do sound a little brighter than the 100c. ALthough they do work well together, i just dont want to lose teh natural tone of the the 100c

Has anyone had both? how do they compare, should i try and find a 200c?

I intend to try them at the shop (hopefully with a s/over deal of some sort if im unsatisfied) but would love anyones input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 6952 Old 01-07-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keflover View Post

Hi i have just upgraded my home theatre setup.

Consisting of Kef Iq9 Mains
iq3 surrounds
Yamaha SW800 SUB
Yamaha rxv 496 amp (will be upgrading that one shortly)

ANd a kef 100c center.

What i want to know is, currently the 100c seems a little too strained at teh higher volumes (absolutely in love with the sound quality however). Im tossing up whether to move to a iq6c center. Im just a bit worried whether it is a good thing to do as ill be going from a reference quality centre to a iq series (albeit a larger one).

Im just worried that they may be brighter than what i have now, as ive noticed the iq9 do sound a little brighter than the 100c. ALthough they do work well together, i just dont want to lose teh natural tone of the the 100c

Has anyone had both? how do they compare, should i try and find a 200c?

I intend to try them at the shop (hopefully with a s/over deal of some sort if im unsatisfied) but would love anyones input

I too have just finished upgrading to a KEF home theater.

I have KEF IQ7's for mains
iQ6C for center
iQ8's for surrounds
iQ1's for rear surrounds.
Denon 3808Ci receiver

When I auditioned the iQ7's The kef dealer explained to me that the iQ6c was basically built to match the iQ7 and iQ9's perfectly.

If I had a vote, I would choose matched sound over having one reference piece.

I heard him say it and even though I have only had the system a short while, I believe it. The iQ6 and iQ7 combination simply blow me away.
I'm not familiar with the 100c center. Is it UniQ technology? if it's not you are taking the most critical tweeter in your system and having the crossover point change all across the front array. This could be why it sounds especially bright.
post #723 of 6952 Old 01-07-2008, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

The iQ series center will be brighter, just like your iQ9/iQ3s. The newer KEFs have an aluminum tweeter and sound completely different; there's nothing you can do about that. Do you not like their sound? If not, why did you get the iQ9/iQ3s?

Even though your current center was from an older "Reference" series, I would not be surprised if the new iQ series represents a much better speaker. Technically, your center channel should be timbre-matched to at least the front speakers. If it were me, and I had the iQ9/iQ3s, I would WANT the iQ6c. You already invested quite a bit in an almost-complete set of new iQ series speakers. You might as well finish the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists_of_Legend View Post

I'm not familiar with the 100c center. Is it UniQ technology? if it's not you are taking the most critical tweeter in your system and having the crossover point change all across the front array. This could be why it sounds especially bright.

Yes, it has a UniQ driver but it has a soft-dome tweeter. And he said his iQ series speakers sound bright relative to his Ref100, as would be expected, not that his Ref100 sounds bright.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #724 of 6952 Old 01-07-2008, 05:04 PM

KEF kht 6000 front/center
Mirage omnisat rears
Klipsch ksw-12 subwoofer
sony str-dg800 receiver (upgrading soon)
post #725 of 6952 Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

The iQ series center will be brighter, just like your iQ9/iQ3s. The newer KEFs have an aluminum tweeter and sound completely different; there's nothing you can do about that. Do you not like their sound? If not, why did you get the iQ9/iQ3s?

Even though your current center was from an older "Reference" series, I would not be surprised if the new iQ series represents a much better speaker. Technically, your center channel should be timbre-matched to at least the front speakers. If it were me, and I had the iQ9/iQ3s, I would WANT the iQ6c. You already invested quite a bit in an almost-complete set of new iQ series speakers. You might as well finish the job.

Yes, it has a UniQ driver but it has a soft-dome tweeter. And he said his iQ series speakers sound bright relative to his Ref100, as would be expected, not that his Ref100 sounds bright.

Thanks for the reply. Well i had a set of quadrals previously which sounded shocking when combined with the kef. Im pretty big on dialogue, and the 100c does a great job of reproducing that. So when i replaced teh quadrals i was looking at matching something to the center rather than replace the center, thats why i bought the IQ's it was either get them or replace them all (center and all)with paradigms monitor speakers. While they did sound good, i went through 5 centre speakers before i was happy with the KEF 100c so basically i was very hesitant in going to a paradigm. The IQ's made a remarkable difference. THe whole room is now completely filled with quality sound. ANd like i mentioned they blend very well with the 100c. Im just finding now its starting to strain at the higher volumes the iq's can manage.

ANd i love the sound of the IQ's, i couldnt pay that sort of money if i wasnt happy, just not sure how they would work as a centre speaker compared to the 100c
Now while the iq9's arent overly bright or anything they are definitely brighter to the center. My main worry was that for dialogue i might not be happy (obviously this is personal preference, and i could have shortened this post by just saying that)
I guess what im getting at is basically, i want to make sure teh iq6c does sound good with dialogue, and its is not a drastic change from what i have now
post #726 of 6952 Old 01-08-2008, 07:29 AM

hey im just telling you what i hear from my kef representative it might not always be the best suggestion but that is what jason from kef told me

david
post #727 of 6952 Old 01-08-2008, 03:32 PM

OK here is a good question what if you matched the iq5 towers and the iq6c center? would that sound bad? i figured since the driver size is the same it would work well. or is the iq6c too big to use the iq5 towers with.
post #728 of 6952 Old 01-09-2008, 01:55 AM

How much did you pay for iQ5's? I were looking at them during boxing week (500Cnd for pair) but didn't buy them!!. Went to A&B Sound South Edmonton today and they are 450Cnd each... I wish I only knew about it... would take 4 of iQ5 during boxing week )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat View Post

Well today I picked up the following KEF speakers at southern A&B Sound Store in Calgary. The fellows at the store were very helpful and allowed me to audition the speakers until I felt content with what I had chosen. Kudos to Kevin. . I'll be back no doubt to pick up other things as time marches on. The thing I liked about this store was that there was no pressure to pick this item or that item. They were content to let me wander around and ask questions when I had them, they were absolutely great.

Fronts = 2 x iQ9
Centre = 1 x iQ6c
Rears = 2 x iQ1 (They didn't have any Apple wood iQ3 speakers in stock so I'll try the iQ1 pair for the next month and see how they do. The store told me if I wanted to change to let them know and they'll get the iQ3 set in for me.

Sub = 1 Velodyne VRP 1200 (I'm not sure if I'll stick with this. I wouldn't mind having a small sub as the 1200 looks huge in my small 14' x 10' space. My wife's first comment was What the hell is that! :lol: .

I choose Apple wood as the colour of choice for my speakers. Just wanted to say thanks very much "sivadselim", your help and suggestions is always greatly appreciated. These speakers look absolutely beautiful. I didn't realize it until I got home, but the Apple wood is the same colour as the other furniture we got in our little home theatre room.

post #729 of 6952 Old 01-09-2008, 02:24 AM

You guys may laugh, but as a test i tried the iq9's as a centre...i then swapped over the wires to the 100c....

The sound difference is amazing, and i must say the 100c does sound better. So my question is, is that a reasonable test as to how the iq6c sounds? or basically pointless as the iq6c wil be tuned alot differently? If it does sound like an iq9, im pretty sure ill be trying to source a 200c down
post #730 of 6952 Old 01-09-2008, 03:12 AM

Liked: 16
New the the forum. Hello all.

Kef iQ3's - Fronts
Kef iQ6c - Center (Obviously)
Kef Q1's - Rears

On a denon receiver (soon to be a Pioneer Elite.) I LOVE my Kefs, and I think they offer some of the best performance for the money that you can find.

post #731 of 6952 Old 01-09-2008, 03:18 AM

By the way.... I was watching American Psycho about a month ago. Anyone notice the speakers in Patrick Batemans suite? They appear to be some older Kefs, but I'm not exactly sure.

Too dark to tell here but if anyone owns the DVD...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-hUk...eature=related

They look like the old 104/2 or 103/2

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/cls.pl?spkrfull&1203864722
http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/cls.pl?spkrfull&1204843426
http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/cls.pl?spkrfull&1205021433

I dunno, just something that caught my eye.

post #732 of 6952 Old 01-09-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:

You guys may laugh, but as a test i tried the iq9's as a centre...i then swapped over the wires to the 100c....

The sound difference is amazing, and i must say the 100c does sound better. So my question is, is that a reasonable test as to how the iq6c sounds? or basically pointless as the iq6c wil be tuned alot differently? If it does sound like an iq9, im pretty sure ill be trying to source a 200c down

The iQ6c and iQ9 are spec'd differently.

The frequency response on full range speakers like your 9's is set lower than on your center channel. in this case iQ9's are set at 38Hz - 40k Hz. The iiQ6 center is set from 65hz - 40kHz.

More importantly, the crossover Frequency's are significantly different.

250Hz -2.8K Hz on the 9's while the iQ6 center begins at 280Hz.

Numbers aside, If you have a local Kef dealer in the area, I would simply go audition the iQ6c.
post #733 of 6952 Old 01-09-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok2022 View Post

New the the forum. Hello all.

Kef iQ3's - Fronts
Kef iQ6c - Center (Obviously)
Kef Q1's - Rears

On a denon receiver (soon to be a Pioneer Elite.) I LOVE my Kefs, and I think they offer some of the best performance for the money that you can find.

Interesting setup. What are your feelings about the iQ3 and iQ6c across the front? Did you consider the iQ2c center?
post #734 of 6952 Old 01-09-2008, 09:36 AM

so are the iq5's ok to use with the iq6c center since the drivers are the same size or do i need iq7s which are a little bigger for towers?
post #735 of 6952 Old 01-09-2008, 09:44 AM

I went with iQ5's for fronts, iQ2c as my center and iQ1's as my surrounds for my setup. My room is small so it works quite well, if it was a large room, I have a feeling that I would probably use the iQ6c instead.
post #736 of 6952 Old 01-09-2008, 09:50 AM

do you think it would hurt anything going with the iq7s and iq6c if the room isnt that big? using an onkyo 705 which puts out 100w to each one.
post #737 of 6952 Old 01-09-2008, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floundr23 View Post

do you think it would hurt anything going with the iq7s and iq6c if the room isnt that big? using an onkyo 705 which puts out 100w to each one.

Of course it won't hurt anything, except your pocketbook. There isn't a center channel speaker available with the 6.25" drivers. Unless there is a new one available, the iQ6c is the biggest center they offer in the iQ series. Even owners of iQ9s must use an iQ6c for their center. Do you need bigger towers? If so, have you considered the iQ9s? What sub will you be using? Are the iQ7s available to you? They're usually one of the harder models to find.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #738 of 6952 Old 01-09-2008, 03:54 PM

i have a decent klipsh 12in sub. its not bad. i dont think i need huge towers. i did just order the iq7s. i just wasnt sure my onkyo 705 doing 100 watts per channel was enough to take advantage of the iq7s.
post #739 of 6952 Old 01-09-2008, 04:00 PM

Liked: 12
hi!
New Kef owner with
iQ9's Mains
iQ6c Center
iQ8ds surround back...

One question though!!
i'm (forced) to set the iq8's on the wall behind listening position (couch against wall also).. ... due to current room layout (i know i loose the purpose of dipoles..but anyway...)

do any of you have them set on backwall?... any suggestions on height?...and how much outside to listening position?
and btw!... why aren't the iq8ds have any marking which speaker playes in phase and which one don't??
thanks for any help!..
tia!/Harry
post #740 of 6952 Old 01-10-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists_of_Legend View Post

Interesting setup. What are your feelings about the iQ3 and iQ6c across the front? Did you consider the iQ2c center?

Not for a moment. I personally am I fan of a large center channel, and they sound great together. While the 2c would be perfectly matched with the rest of my setup, which would be nice, I had originally planned on upgrading the fronts to the iQ7s or iQ9s. The pocket book just hasn't been as friendly over the last few years so it never happened. Probably never will. That said I think the 6c matches perfectly with the iQ3s. I wouldn't pair it with iQ1s as it may be too much, but it doesn't overpower the iQ3s or stand out in any way. It pretty well disappears into them. Movies sound fantastic, as well as SACD/DVD-A. Given the chance to do it again, I would buy exactly what I got. Generally speaking, I think most people tend to skimp on the center or get one that is too small. I avoided that entirely.

post #741 of 6952 Old 01-10-2008, 06:35 PM

Location: Home of the Oktoberfest, Kingdom of Bavaria, Europe
Hello KEF owners,

What do you think would make the best match for iQ5 fronts?
iQ8ds Dipole surround speakers, or just some iQ1 bookshelf speakers?
I read that the benefit of dipole speakers is to make the sound seem undirectional. but why would one want that? If you cant tell that the sound is coming from behind you, why not just leave it in the front channel? Or is it more like you can tell it's coming from behind you, just not where exactly?
I read that only certain positions take advantage of this - how do you have to mount a dipole to use it properly?
post #742 of 6952 Old 01-10-2008, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by klankymen View Post

I read that the benefit of dipole speakers is to make the sound seem undirectional. but why would one want that? If you cant tell that the sound is coming from behind you, why not just leave it in the front channel? Or is it more like you can tell it's coming from behind you, just not where exactly?
I read that only certain positions take advantage of this - how do you have to mount a dipole to use it properly?

Dipoles are designed for the surround channels, and they are supposed to make the sound NONdirectional, so that you get the effect of a field of sound seeming to be on the sides and behind you. This is best used for movies in 5.1 surround. You don't want your attention constantly drawn to where those speakers are positioned. Ideally, dipoles for surround use should be mounted to the sides of the listening area, somewhat higher than ear level.

Unfortunately, dipole surround speakers aren't great for multichannel music. The usual recommendation for surround channels in multichannel music is that you should use front-firing speakers and place the surrounds somewhat behind the listener's ears, at ear level. See, for example:
http://www.soundstage.com/surrounded...nded200307.htm

I have the previous Q-series. I auditioned them with the Q2ds as surrounds (which are dipoles and very similar in design to the surrounds in the newer iQ series. The effect in movies was an unbroken field of sound all around me. It was great for movies. But since multichannel music is more important to me, I use Q1's as surrounds (they aren't dipoles).

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #743 of 6952 Old 01-10-2008, 07:55 PM

Hello,
Thank you for the answer. I only listen to my music in 2 channels, so the surrounds would just be for movies for me. how to the Q1s do for you in movies? The iQ1s would be significantly cheaper than the iQ8ds's for me, so even if inferior, they are worth consideration.
post #744 of 6952 Old 01-10-2008, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

Hello,
Thank you for the answer. I only listen to my music in 2 channels, so the surrounds would just be for movies for me. how to the Q1s do for you in movies? The iQ1s would be significantly cheaper than the iQ8ds's for me, so even if inferior, they are worth consideration.

I haven't heard any of the iQ series, so I can't tell you what you'd find. But I'm very happy with the Q1's for movies. However, a more diffuse soundfield, which is what you get from dipoles would be preferable.

I have them placed about 30 degrees behind the listening position, on stands that place them at ear level, and aimed at my head. My receiver's delay settings compensate for the fact that they are closer to me than the front speakers. It's important to set the volume level properly for all of the speakers (I used a sound pressure meter and a test CD or the test-tone generator in my receiver). If you start to localize what's coming from the surrounds, you might try turning down their levels a bit.

Also, the Q1's don't go very low and I am certain the iQ1's don't, either; so a sub is absolutely necessary if you use them for movies (and I use my sub for surround music, too).

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #745 of 6952 Old 01-10-2008, 09:27 PM

well, the iQ1s reach 50Hz, and the iQ8ds's reach only 65Hz, so I guess that would apply to either speaker.
post #746 of 6952 Old 01-10-2008, 09:46 PM

I just replaced my 25 year-old Kef coda-IIIs with a pair of iQ7s.

This is for classical music, stereo only, and I was amazed at the difference. The subtleties and clarity make the old speakers sound like mud in comparison.
post #747 of 6952 Old 01-11-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok2022 View Post

By the way.... I was watching American Psycho about a month ago. Anyone notice the speakers in Patrick Batemans suite? They appear to be some older Kefs, but I'm not exactly sure.

They look like the old 104/2 or 103/2

I haven't watched the movie in a while, but I believe the speakers are the R105/3 which is rather like a large 104 with uniQ added to it. This was the first product by KEF with the uniQ driver. These were magnificent speakers, with great dynamic range--combining most of the strengths of the 104 and the 107 sound-wise. I first heard these in 1991, so I am not sure if Christian Bale's character could have owned these (isn't the movie set in the '80's?). Anyway, it's fiction, so who cares?

If not the 105/3, then it is the 104. Definitely not the 103 (different baffle, much smaller speaker that was a stand-mount--although these sounded wonderful also).
post #748 of 6952 Old 01-11-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preFUR View Post

I haven't watched the movie in a while, but I believe the speakers are the R105/3 which is rather like a large 104 with uniQ added to it. This was the first product by KEF with the uniQ driver. These were magnificent speakers, with great dynamic range--combining most of the strengths of the 104 and the 107 sound-wise. I first heard these in 1991, so I am not sure if Christian Bale's character could have owned these (isn't the movie set in the '80's?). Anyway, it's fiction, so who cares?

If not the 105/3, then it is the 104. Definitely not the 103 (different baffle, much smaller speaker that was a stand-mount--although these sounded wonderful also).

But they were Kefs? I mean they looked like it, and I know Kef made products like that in the 80s. Just wasn't sure if thats what they were.

post #749 of 6952 Old 01-12-2008, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hello,

Go with the iQ1s. Surround-specific speakers can be problematic. They can only be used of one thing; as surround speakers. Their placement options are limited. Should you ever want to bust up your system, the iQ1s can be used in a another stereo (or even small surround) setup, can be sold more easily, or can be given to your dad, little brother, friend, etc.. Basically, the iQ1s are standard speakers and are more versatile than surround-specific speakers.

Additionally, surround ambience is mixed into the soundtrack properly by an engineer. Modern 5.1 soundtracks are mixed for and meant to be reproduced by direct radiating monopoles.

The iQ1s will work fine as surround speakers and are what I would certainly buy if I were in your shoes.

post #750 of 6952 Old 01-12-2008, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheffield View Post

I just replaced my 25 year-old Kef coda-IIIs with a pair of iQ7s.

This is for classical music, stereo only, and I was amazed at the difference. The subtleties and clarity make the old speakers sound like mud in comparison.

Yes, the metal dome tweeter sounds completely different.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page