KEF Owners Thread - Page 250 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7471 of 7498 Old 07-15-2015, 01:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahtman View Post
Maybe I'm in the wrong place.. Sorry
I don't know why you think you have not getting any advice..just to sum up what I have read since your first post

1. Get Marantz SR7009 instead of Denon X4100W for the similar amount of money because Marantz is the better of the 2

2. Get R series and forget about Q series, I auditioned Q300, R300 and LS50 a few month back and while I like the LS50 the best, R300 also really impressed me, Q300 on the other hand, fall short compare to the other 2, the only advantage for the Q300 is it's cheaper, but since you have the budget and R series is available in Thailand, go with R series..

3. You probably should consider get a big area rug to put under your sofa, don't think any system you put in will sound good with all the hard surface you have

4. I would put surround on stands (R300 maybe?) and place them a few feet and slightly behind your sofa (howeve,r wiring will be an issue)

5. If you can't place the surround close to your sofa, you could also forget about surround for now and focus on the front LCR and subwoofer..I just believe the distance between your side wall and sofa is too great you won't get any immerse surround feel if you mount hem there..the other reason I recommend area rug is so you can hide speaker wire underneath the rug....

As far as subwooer, i would think you will need at least 2 to start..do you have any particular sub you have in mind??

HT Setup - Sony KDS-55A3000, Marantz SR8002, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX & Martin Logan Descent
2 Channel Setup - B&W 805 Diamond, Bluesound Vault, Mapletree Audio Line 2C RM, Aragon 2004 MKII
Alternative 2 Channel Setup - KEF LS50, Marantz SA-15S1, Marantz PM-15S1 & Martin Logan Depth

Last edited by justthinking; 07-15-2015 at 01:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 7498 Old 07-15-2015, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If you can get the Marantz for the same money as the 4100 that is a good deal. In the states it is $500 cheaper for the 4100. The Marantz 7009 is more comparable to the 5200 from Denon. The Denon 5200 is a better receiver than the 7009 though if you found them at the same price.
post #7473 of 7498 Old 07-15-2015, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Question R300 minimum distance to rear

Just wondering how enclosed (i.e. actually in a bookshelf) the R300 can be with their rear port.

Note that they would be crossed to a sub at 80Hz.

Thanks

post #7474 of 7498 Old 07-15-2015, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post
Just wondering how enclosed (i.e. actually in a bookshelf) the R300 can be with their rear port.

Note that they would be crossed to a sub at 80Hz.

Thanks
If you put them in a bookshelf the supplied port plugs will help ameliorate adjacent boundary gain. It's still better to put them on stands, but for in-bookshelf use the R300 is as good as any.

Theater room: Sony VPL HW30ES, DIY 100" screen with Seymour Centerstage XD, 5 Revel M105, 2 JBL Studio 210, 4 SVS SB12-NSD, Anthem MRX-300
Living room: Panasonic TC-P60VT60, 3 KEF LS50, Pioneer SW-8, Marantz NR1603
post #7475 of 7498 Old 07-16-2015, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
I don't know why you think you have not getting any advice..just to sum up what I have read since your first post

1. Get Marantz SR7009 instead of Denon X4100W for the similar amount of money because Marantz is the better of the 2

2. Get R series and forget about Q series, I auditioned Q300, R300 and LS50 a few month back and while I like the LS50 the best, R300 also really impressed me, Q300 on the other hand, fall short compare to the other 2, the only advantage for the Q300 is it's cheaper, but since you have the budget and R series is available in Thailand, go with R series..

3. You probably should consider get a big area rug to put under your sofa, don't think any system you put in will sound good with all the hard surface you have

4. I would put surround on stands (R300 maybe?) and place them a few feet and slightly behind your sofa (howeve,r wiring will be an issue)

5. If you can't place the surround close to your sofa, you could also forget about surround for now and focus on the front LCR and subwoofer..I just believe the distance between your side wall and sofa is too great you won't get any immerse surround feel if you mount hem there..the other reason I recommend area rug is so you can hide speaker wire underneath the rug....

As far as subwooer, i would think you will need at least 2 to start..do you have any particular sub you have in mind??

Yea, the Marantz may be a better option. Pretty much the same specs. albeit 9.2 vs. 7.2

Subs, yes at least 2 to start. I had a offer on a ML Dynamo 1500 but know a single sealed sub would struggle in this space.
I contacted Parts Express about a DIY and required components and the techie there recommended the Aura or Dayton Audio, both at 18". He's not gave me info on amps and what else I'd need as I just asked today.

I posted this topic on another forum, prior to here on surround spacing.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-new-post.html

If you have the time to read the short posts I'd appreciate it. Seems the consensus was to hang them at the soffits about 10' up. I know you recommended otherwise. It seems the more I research the more varied opinions I get. I know everyone is trying to help and has their own opinion. Guess there's no easy answer.

I'm good to go on the area rug. While in BKK 2 weeks ago I found a shop that will splice 2 to one to get me the size I need, but I'd not need a 3rd. to locate the surrounds at 12' to 14' apart for the required spread and axis.

Thanks for everyone's time and input here.
I really do appreciate it.

Mike

The more hair I loose, the more head I get.

Workin' on my "stuff"

post #7476 of 7498 Old 07-16-2015, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I am looking to install some ceiling speakers for my new build. I currently have a Kef Q600 with two Q500 left/rights, two Q300 surrounds (considering adding another two Q500s to replace these), two Q800 for rear and two Q400 subs. I am planning a new HT build right now and figure I may as well build it with atmos. Does anybody know if the kef UniQ Soundlight series in ceilings (CI100QR or CI200QR) will match nicely and work good as atmos heights?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
post #7477 of 7498 Old 07-17-2015, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBrown View Post
I am looking to install some ceiling speakers for my new build. I currently have a Kef Q600 with two Q500 left/rights, two Q300 surrounds (considering adding another two Q500s to replace these), two Q800 for rear and two Q400 subs. I am planning a new HT build right now and figure I may as well build it with atmos. Does anybody know if the kef UniQ Soundlight series in ceilings (CI100QR or CI200QR) will match nicely and work good as atmos heights?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Can't answer ceiling speaker, you said you have Q800 for rear speakers. Dipoles don't work very well on rear wall, and dipoles are from era of Pro-Logic.

I'd re-wire the the Q800 to bipole. You want to find which driver face is out of phase, then reverse the treble/midrange on that side.

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
post #7478 of 7498 Old 07-17-2015, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
Can't answer ceiling speaker, you said you have Q800 for rear speakers. Dipoles don't work very well on rear wall, and dipoles are from era of Pro-Logic.

I'd re-wire the the Q800 to bipole. You want to find which driver face is out of phase, then reverse the treble/midrange on that side.
Thank you, fatbottom. (can't say I've ever been able to call somebody fatbottom without repercussions) I will look into this on the weekend. I have never taken apart or rewired a speaker before. I can't seem to find any diagrams or info on this specific speaker. Have you done this? Am I just reversing the polarity on the tweeter wires? I also assume I do this for the out of phase driver on both speakers.
post #7479 of 7498 Old 07-17-2015, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

You need to find out which side is out of phase You need to do it for the treble and bass driver. If the driver has thicker/thinner crimp connectors that may be a problem as need to remove and put new crimps on, or re-wire/remove connector on crossover side.

http://www.audiogurus.com/learn/wp-c...ng-650x379.jpg

I use bipoles for sides and rears, I used to have dipoles on rears. Suppose could have converted them to bipoles but I wanted matching speakers for side/rears.

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
post #7480 of 7498 Old 07-18-2015, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
kef iq30

Sorry if this may not be the best forum for this but I am possibly looking to upgrade this weekend and time is an issue.. My question is would i be able to sell my immaculate IQ30's plus a b&w center (cc6 s2) also very nice for around $300 or so?? I know this would be extremely competitive price on E--y but just wondering if this would actually sell.. thanks for any insight..
post #7481 of 7498 Old 07-18-2015, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Dipoles don't work very well on rear wall, and dipoles are from era of Pro-Logic.
Disagree. Bi-directional out-of-phase speakers (they're not "dipoles") IMO work better on the back wall. (I use R800ds.)

Cones and domes are from last century too, and they still work pretty well...

Quote:
That is spectacularly bad advice. You'd completely ruin the speakers. The KEF '800s have different crossovers for each driver. One runs full range and the other is rolled off at (I think) 300ish Hz. That is to have both diffuse output and bass.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #7482 of 7498 Old 07-18-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Disagree. Bi-directional out-of-phase speakers (they're not "dipoles") IMO work better on the back wall. (I use R800ds.)

Cones and domes are from last century too, and they still work pretty well...

That is spectacularly bad advice. You'd completely ruin the speakers. The KEF '800s have different crossovers for each driver. One runs full range and the other is rolled off at (I think) 300ish Hz. That is to have both diffuse output and bass.
I've owned bipole and dipole, dipoles do not function that well on the back wall.

As for re-wiring, of course keep treble to treble, bass to bass. Just reverse the phase of treble, and also of bass.

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
post #7483 of 7498 Old 07-18-2015, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Seems to be a fair amount of discussion in regards to rears. I keep flip flopping in regards to the Dipole R800D and LS50.

Just trying to wrap up my 5.1 as I'm currently 3.1.

So is the consensus if one will stay 5.1 in a fairly narrow space and to the sides that Dipole is a good choice? I still have a couple of weeks to go before I order the speakers.

I did receive my stereo amp and will be spending the day hooking that up for rears, running the rear speaker cable as well as some other tuning.

Yippee. Will use my old Dynaudio Focus 110s while I try to make a decision between the LS50s or Dipoles from R series to complete my KEF front end. I had decided on the LS50 but still am not convinced the Dipole might not work better in a more narrow space, 5.1 only and to the sides. I should get a gauge after I get my temporary Dynaudios hooked up today. I have a feeling it will be extremely localized. I may need to go pick up some taller stands to try.

Have most moved away from Dipole? I have never owned a pair for judgement.

Rick
post #7484 of 7498 Old 07-18-2015, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
Seems to be a fair amount of discussion in regards to rears. I keep flip flopping in regards to the Dipole R800D and LS50.

So is the consensus if one will stay 5.1 in a fairly narrow space and to the sides that Dipole is a good choice? I still have a couple of weeks to go before I order the speakers.

I did receive my stereo amp and will be spending the day hooking that up for rears, running the rear speaker cable as well as some other tuning.

Yippee. Will use my old Dynaudio Focus 110s while I try to make a decision between the LS50s or Dipoles from R series to complete my KEF front end. I had decided on the LS50 but still am not convinced the Dipole might not work better in a more narrow space, 5.1 only and to the sides. I should get a gauge after I get my temporary Dynaudios hooked up today. I have a feeling it will be extremely localized. I may need to go pick up some taller stands to try.

Rick

Rick, will you be listening to multi channel music with your 5.1 or are you mainly focus on movies + 2 channel music?

If you are going to listen to multi channel audio such as SACD or blu ray audio, then you need monopole

If you are only listening to 2 channel music and surround is used only for movies, I would agree that di-pole will work better as side surround in a narrow space..

I have Monitor Audio GSFX for side surround which has a switch to change between dipole and monopole on my 5.1 HT setup and the right surround is about 5 feet from my seat, I find myself prefer di-pole to monopole for movies because it is more diffused and does not distract my attention away from the movies..

HT Setup - Sony KDS-55A3000, Marantz SR8002, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX & Martin Logan Descent
2 Channel Setup - B&W 805 Diamond, Bluesound Vault, Mapletree Audio Line 2C RM, Aragon 2004 MKII
Alternative 2 Channel Setup - KEF LS50, Marantz SA-15S1, Marantz PM-15S1 & Martin Logan Depth
post #7485 of 7498 Old 07-18-2015, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rick
If you are close to side/rear walls I'd go bipole. Kef don't have matching bipole speakers, so I'd buy the closest matching dipole speakers, and just re-wire them bipole.

If you really wanted, I guess you could buy two of the Reference standmounts, but them back to back, both in phase and make your own bipole speaker lol.

I did like dipoles way back in non discrete Pro-Logic era but I think bipoles work better for modern soundtracks.

I use 4 x Definitive Technology BP-2X speakers for side/surrounds.

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
post #7486 of 7498 Old 07-18-2015, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok guys looking to upgrade my speakers, considering the KEF R series, specifically the R700 as well as the B&W CM10, Revel F206...would consider the R900 and F208 but I think they're way overkill for my listening habits and room. Additionally I'm looking at a receiver upgrade from my Yamaha V1700 (has served me very VERY well) to a higher end receiver like a Marantz 7009 or 7010, Pio Elite, or Anthem...or something cheaper and a dedicated amplifier, at least a 2 ch for music.

Right now the system gets as much or more movie watching BUT 2 CH rendering is my priority in terms of SQ. My current system is Swan Diva 5.1's as my mains, the C3 center and R3 rear surrounds. These have proven to be quite good over the years and I bought them nearly 8 years ago after a year of reading here on avs. But it's time for an upgrade, better sound, better imaging etc are the priority. I also want to take advantage of today's streaming options and lossless audio opportunities, hence the need for a receiver upgrade.

Right now my movie/music area of the room is approx 11x14 which opens to a more square 14x14 area upstairs, ceilings are 8 feet so the area is not huge. But the area is not ideal for great 2 ch listening. Currently my speakers are in the corners approximately 12 inches of clearance on the sides and 15 inches out back.

I'm looking to do the front three speakers. The problem is the KEF's are not available in my area so I have to drive 2ish hours to listen to them. Which I will do before buying but would like to know thoughts about room placement, placement relative to the walls, etc? I'm leaning towards the R700 or F206 precisely due to room size. A friend of mine however recommended the R500 which I'm not opposed to but would have serious doubts about their ability to keep up in 2 ch listening? Not from a volume perspective, I generally listen between 75 and 82ish db, sometimes cranking into the 90s but that's pretty loud to my ears so I don't do it long. I'm more concerned about losing balanced sound or HAVING to run my sub for any music listening which I currently do not have to do.

I have also read in a couple reviews that the R series can have a bit of a metallic sound on vocals/midrange but that was in two pretty early reviews, perhaps a driver kink that has since been worked out? Perhaps the nature of the aluminum drivers?

Also, I know some will say the B&W CM 10 is more comparable with the R900, I would tend to agree but the midrange and highs are decidedly better on the CM10...or at lest were when I compared it to the CM9 and CM8 originally (Not the S2).

Please note, if the R500 gives me a significantly better sound state/presentation due to my room constraints I'm not opposed...just have reservations as expressed above.

I would appreciate any and all thoughts on the above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Game room.png
Views:	11
Size:	736.8 KB
ID:	836634  
post #7487 of 7498 Old 07-18-2015, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
I've owned bipole and dipole, dipoles do not function that well on the back wall.
Actually, you probably haven't. This is a dipole:

(Quad ESL-63);

and this is a dipole:

(Linkwitz LX521);

and this desktop speaker set has dipole satellites:

(Eminent Technology LFT-11).

But this

is a bidirectional out-of-phase speaker. It has drivers separated in space and at an angle relative to each other that substantially operate out of phase. (Again, these are more sophisticated than your average surrounds, so they operate as a monopole below some frequency.)

Furthermore, if your "bipoles" had slanted baffles, you didn't have bipoles either. You had bidirectional in-phase speakers.

Assuming you are incorrectly using "dipole" to describe bidirectional out-of-phase speakers, I simply disagree. They work great as rear speakers in a competently designed system.

Quote:
As for re-wiring, of course keep treble to treble, bass to bass. Just reverse the phase of treble, and also of bass.
Have you bothered to open these speakers before running your keyboard? I actually have, so I know what you suggest is simply bad advice. Shamefully bad. The crossovers are different and the enclosure loading is different for the two drivers. (It's not just two speakers stuck back-to-back, but a pretty sophisticated design.) Your hack WILL NOT WORK on these speakers. End of discussion.

Quote:
FWIW, the difference between Q100 side surrounds and R800ds side speakers for me was localization at the surrounds vs. immersion in the soundfield. (Also, the Q100's finish looked too cheap to blend in our living room, but the more finely-finished R800ds looks great.) Now I'm using those R800ds's as rears, and they also work very well in that role.

Another thing to try that I've had success with in the past is to use a speaker with a single concentric driver (say R100 or LS50), mount them a bit above the seated listening position, and fire them straight up.

Quote:
***I'd buy the closest matching dipole speakers, and just re-wire them bipole.
You do that if you want a pair of expensive lo-fi paperweights. Everyone with any sense should ignore this advice, at least as applied to the KEF Q/R800ds speakers. It may be just fine advice for less sophsiticated bidirectional surrounds, but it should not be done with these speakers.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 

Last edited by DS-21; 07-19-2015 at 06:57 PM.
post #7488 of 7498 Old 07-19-2015, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Hey guys - after not being able to find any owners of the Ci5160 or Ci3160 in an Atmos setup here, at the advice of DoubleWing11 I created a thread in AVForums since apparently these KEFs may be a bit more popular over there. I asked for feedback from owners and posted some info about my audition of an Atmos setup using these speakers in the post. Please follow along here if interested: https://www.avforums.com/threads/kef...hread.1970127/
post #7489 of 7498 Old 07-19-2015, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Anyone running a 3 channel amp to power their KEF Q900 and Q600C. The reason I ask because a found good deal on B&k tx4430.

post #7490 of 7498 Old 07-20-2015, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Looking to build a 5.2.4 with KEF's CI in wall and in ceiling speakers for my dedicated theater room. Do we not have any reports of this series in ATMOS setup or comparison's to their in box equivalent? It seems Paramount is running this in their Demo Room. I am pretty much set on this so if mine gets done before lovingdvd I'll report back comparing to my IQ series in 9.2 channels. The room is in process of being built so it'll be a few months.
post #7491 of 7498 Old 07-20-2015, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrandon View Post
Looking to build a 5.2.4 with KEF's CI in wall and in ceiling speakers for my dedicated theater room. Do we not have any reports of this series in ATMOS setup or comparison's to their in box equivalent? It seems Paramount is running this in their Demo Room. I am pretty much set on this so if mine gets done before lovingdvd I'll report back comparing to my IQ series in 9.2 channels. The room is in process of being built so it'll be a few months.
One thing that may help, short of being able to hear the Ci series yourself, is to try and find a local dealer that has the R700 speakers on display. Those speakers are a lot more popular than the Ci so you have far better chances of hearing those. And from what I understand they are exactly the same as the drivers and Uni-Q tweeter found in the Ci series, with the only main difference being the number of drivers per speaker (Ci has more).
post #7492 of 7498 Old 07-21-2015, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
One thing that may help, short of being able to hear the Ci series yourself, is to try and find a local dealer that has the R700 speakers on display. Those speakers are a lot more popular than the Ci so you have far better chances of hearing those. And from what I understand they are exactly the same as the drivers and Uni-Q tweeter found in the Ci series, with the only main difference being the number of drivers per speaker (Ci has more).
Sadly it appears we have no authorized dealers locally (or anywhere close)so I am just going to go for it. Here is my build plan,

I'll run 3 of Ci200QL, http://www.kef.com/html/us/showroom/...0QL/index.html Front's and center.

2 of Ci160QL, http://www.kef.com/html/us/showroom/...0ql/index.html for the rears.

4 of Ci100QS for ceiling and ATMOS https://www.kefdirect.com/index.php/...udspeaker.html

Would love to jump into the higher end Ci line but without hearing I just can't do it. I think this will be a good for the room, 18x14. I am opting for the smaller speakers as I'll have the crossover @ 80hz and let my Outlaws handle everything after. I am going to hurry up and do this before you get the 5160's or 3160's and report back lol. Thoughts?
post #7493 of 7498 Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Hallelujah!

FINALLY...I will be able to give my Ref 1s, their proper day in court. Found out from Bob at Sound Anchors...that the latest addition to their Signature line (custom designed for the Ref 1, with the help of my dealer Craig Shumer from Theatermax); should be here by next week!

The Ref 1s...have been woefully sitting on the sidelines; since I put them on makeshift stands, and realized...just how important proper stands would be. Normally...the correct height is critical, to get tweeter balance correct (at or near ear-level); but with the Uni-Q...you've got two concentric drivers, so it becomes an absolute necessity.

With the arrival imminent...I guess it's OK, to post some pics of the mock-up

And here's a little blurb, from the Sound Anchor website; about the beefy construction, of all Signature line stands...

Sound Anchor Custom Signature Stands are special souped-up versions of our hi-performance 3 and 4 Post stands. The top where the speaker sits is custom sized to fit your speaker and made of 3" x 3/4" steel bar instead of 2 x 1/2". The upright posts are made of 3" x 3" tube. These tubes hold 2 1/4 times as much fill for more mass, rigidity and damping. This all adds up to performance.

Needless to say...I am super-excited; and will be sure to post (actual) pix and impressions, shortly!

SYSTEMS-
#1: Aurender N100H>Ayre QB-9 DSD>Luxman L-505uX (Ayre AX-7 out for evolution upgrade)>PMC Twenty 26s/KEF Reference 1s
#2: C.A.P.S.>SOtM sDP-1000>Wyred4Sound mAMPS>Dynaudio X-14s

Founder-E.S.A.C. esac.club

Last edited by CDLehner; Yesterday at 07:24 AM.
post #7494 of 7498 Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
FINALLY...I will be able to give my Ref 1s, their proper day in court. Found out from Bob at Sound Anchors...that the latest addition to their Signature line (custom designed for the Ref 1, with the help of my dealer Craig Shumer from Theatermax); should be here by next week!

The Ref 1s...have been woefully sitting on the sidelines; since I put them on makeshift stands, and realized...just how important proper stands would be. Normally...the correct height is critical, to get tweeter balance correct (at or near ear-level); but with the Uni-Q...you've got two concentric drivers, so it becomes an absolute necessity.

With the arrival imminent...I guess it's OK, to post some pics of the mock-up

And here's a little blurb, from the Sound Anchor website; about the beefy construction, of all Signature line stands...

Sound Anchor Custom Signature Stands are special souped-up versions of our hi-performance 3 and 4 Post stands. The top where the speaker sits is custom sized to fit your speaker and made of 3" x 3/4" steel bar instead of 2 x 1/2". The upright posts are made of 3" x 3" tube. These tubes hold 2 1/4 times as much fill for more mass, rigidity and damping. This all adds up to performance.

Needless to say...I am super-excited; and will be sure to post (actual) pix and impressions, shortly!
Seems like a lot of extra effort to not just buy the Kef stands.
post #7495 of 7498 Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post
Seems like a lot of extra effort to not just buy the Kef stands.
What "effort"; all I had to do was wait. And the KEF stands were back-ordered, for the l o n g e s t time.

Besides...IMO; this is twice the stand, at half the price

SYSTEMS-
#1: Aurender N100H>Ayre QB-9 DSD>Luxman L-505uX (Ayre AX-7 out for evolution upgrade)>PMC Twenty 26s/KEF Reference 1s
#2: C.A.P.S.>SOtM sDP-1000>Wyred4Sound mAMPS>Dynaudio X-14s

Founder-E.S.A.C. esac.club
post #7496 of 7498 Old Today, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Where can I buy KEF 3005 Speaker Stands?

I have a KEF 3005 SE setup and am looking for speaker stands. Does anyone know where I can find a pair in black?
Thanks.
post #7497 of 7498 Old Today, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimone View Post
I have a KEF 3005 SE setup and am looking for speaker stands. Does anyone know where I can find a pair in black?
Thanks.
I used these stands from monoprice when i was running my 3005se setup - http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?pg...seq=1&format=4

They aren't the nicest stands, but cannot be beat for the price.
post #7498 of 7498 Old Today, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Q900 not Q700 uses same HF/Mid driver.........would be much better across the board comparison due to 1.5" HF/Mid driver in both Ci200rr and Q900
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page