KEF Owners Thread - Page 251 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7501 of 7511 Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
interested to see how they look It is my understanding that the LS-50's sound unreal on the reference stands, a complete transformation and the absolute peak of their capabilities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7502 of 7511 Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfav View Post
interested to see how they look It is my understanding that the LS-50's sound unreal on the reference stands, a complete transformation and the absolute peak of their capabilities.
They're likely, completely inert...that's for sure. My stands are nearly 80 lbs per side!

SYSTEMS-
#1: Aurender N100H>Ayre QB-9 DSD>Luxman L-505uX (Ayre AX-7 out for evolution upgrade)>PMC Twenty 26s/KEF Reference 1s
#2: C.A.P.S.>SOtM sDP-1000>Wyred4Sound mAMPS>Dynaudio X-14s

Founder-E.S.A.C. esac.club
post #7503 of 7511 Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Have four KEF CI-200rr-thx arriving this Thursday. Will have CNC manufactured backer boxes fabricated with volume between 10-20 liters. Application is for Atmos heights.......will pass on info along with thoughts installing.

After exhaustive research, thought best available product for my room........hoping they sound good.
post #7504 of 7511 Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1040 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Have four KEF CI-200rr-thx arriving this Thursday. Will have CNC manufactured backer boxes fabricated with volume between 10-20 liters. Application is for Atmos heights.......will pass on info along with thoughts installing.

After exhaustive research, thought best available product for my room........hoping they sound good.
I heard them they sound amazing!

Pictures after you install please
post #7505 of 7511 Old Today, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Is your wall still under construction? Mounting depth from surface is 4.98 in, is your wall 2x4? I should have the Ci 200QL next week and will have to do some brainstorming if these don't fit the wall (Surface depth is 3.93 inches, my understanding is 3.5 is what you'd need for 2x4 so hoping that sheet rock buys the difference.) I am curious if you're in my boat having to possibly come up with a solution and if so I'd love to hear it.
post #7506 of 7511 Old Today, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrandon View Post
Is your wall still under construction? Mounting depth from surface is 4.98 in, is your wall 2x4? I should have the Ci 200QL next week and will have to do some brainstorming if these don't fit the wall (Surface depth is 3.93 inches, my understanding is 3.5 is what you'd need for 2x4 so hoping that sheet rock buys the difference.) I am curious if you're in my boat having to possibly come up with a solution and if so I'd love to hear it.
No, this will be an on-ceiling application since it is inside soundproofed shell using clips/channel 5/8 th's OSB + GG+ 5/8th's drywall.......hence the reason for backer boxes. I have to have backer boxes CNC manufactured.......volume will be between 10-20 liters per manufacture spec.

Backer boxes will be attached directly to ceiling using four IB-3 clips.......

And will be hidden behind acoustic fabric in four corners of ceiling cloud here.........depth of ceiling cloud is 8-1/4" which determines depth of backer box for each speaker box.

In your case, speaker will not fit in standard 2x4 wall.........I suggest using another layer of 5/8 th's inch drywall and have edges with corner bead finished with plaster or use decorative wood spacer trimmed out...........would not feel comfortable with 0.07 inches clearance.......ie vibration.
post #7507 of 7511 Old Today, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
No, this will be an on-ceiling application since it is inside soundproofed shell using clips/channel 5/8 th's OSB + GG+ 5/8th's drywall.......hence the reason for backer boxes. I have to have backer boxes CNC manufactured.......volume will be between 10-20 liters per manufacture spec.

Backer boxes will be attached directly to ceiling using four IB-3 clips.......

And will be hidden behind acoustic fabric in four corners of ceiling cloud here.........depth of ceiling cloud is 8-1/4" which determines depth of backer box for each speaker box.

In your case, speaker will not fit in standard 2x4 wall.........I suggest using another layer of 5/8 th's inch drywall and have edges with corner bead finished with plaster or use decorative wood spacer trimmed out...........would not feel comfortable with 0.07 inches clearance.......ie vibration.

Can't wait to see your finished result!! You read my mind on my build. When I spoke to KEF they were adamant this would be fine but I'm with you on this. May need some slight modification and personally I think it can look pretty nice. Man, your room is amazing!
post #7508 of 7511 Old Today, 12:31 PM

The speakers perform very well and if the boxes are done correctly it should sound great. I recently swapped out my multi-room speakers with these and they are remarkable for full range 2-channel even in sheetrock in a free-air environment. This is the only speaker I will use for multi-room audio ceiling applications going forward. My Kitchen sounds amazing, if the bathroom were not so small it would get a pair.
post #7509 of 7511 Old Today, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrandon View Post
Can't wait to see your finished result!! You read my mind on my build. When I spoke to KEF they were adamant this would be fine but I'm with you on this. May need some slight modification and personally I think it can look pretty nice. Man, your room is amazing!

Thanks......

You're actually looking at what will be final result..........have to pull off fabric from fabric track, move acoustic treatments, screw backer box to ceiling, install speakers into box and then place fabric back into fabric channel. I'll take pictures before covering with fabric...
post #7510 of 7511 Old Today, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfav View Post
The speakers perform very well and if the boxes are done correctly it should sound great. I recently swapped out my multi-room speakers with these and they are remarkable for full range 2-channel even in sheetrock in a free-air environment. This is the only speaker I will use for multi-room audio ceiling applications going forward. My Kitchen sounds amazing, if the bathroom were not so small it would get a pair.
Are you referring to Ci200rr-thx ceiling speakers?
post #7511 of 7511 Old Today, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Are you referring to Ci200rr-thx ceiling speakers?
Yes-
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page