KEF Owners Thread - Page 298 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 407Likes

post #8911 of 8927 Old 08-27-2016, 05:30 PM
exm
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Still enjoying my 90s Reference 4s... Why should I upgrade again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8912 of 8927 Old 08-27-2016, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
You shouldn't. Unless you go listen to new Reference 3 or 5 and are astonished, keep them!
Bigmoviefan likes this.

System includes KEF R500 floor standing, R200C center, R100 surrounds, SVS SB2000 subwoofer, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 turntable w/ Sumiko Pearl cartridge, Bluesound Vault, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer, MCS System cassette deck. The last 2 items are dust collectors but will work if asked.
post #8913 of 8927 Old 08-28-2016, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Hey lads I stumbled across a few THX In-Wall Speaker builds noticed they were using the CI200RR-THX as surrounds in boxes. How do you think this setup would go with three Kef CI5160RL-THX as the LCR. It would save me some heartache with trying to make pillars to fit the CI3160rl-THX as surrounds. Or should I just keep the 3160's LOL.

http://www.hifi.com.cn/content-36-2100-1.html

post #8914 of 8927 Old 08-28-2016, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am torn between building 1 of 2 different home theater setups and looking for some opinions on a 7.2 vs an Atmos setup. My first setup could use Kef IQ8DS dipoles for the sides and rear of a 7.2. The other setup could use Kef 5001 monopole speakers for sides, rears and height speakers. The room is not overly large (15x15) but am looking at the build to optimize sound quality and to enhance movies/sports. In addition to the fronts (IQ9) and center (IQ6C) I have IQ8DS x4 and HTS5001 x9. Has anyone had any experience with a similar setup?

Center Channel: Kef IQ6C
Fronts: Kef IQ9 x2
Subwoofers: Velodyne DLS4000R x2

Sides/Rears: Kef IQ8DS or Kef 5001
post #8915 of 8927 Old 08-28-2016, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Hatlesschimp...keep the Ci3160's and stick with the plan. You've got the best of the best with the complete set you assembled, just use it in the appropriate manner and revel in it.

kdmtuscani, you've got the ideal room size to take advantage of the iQ8ds as surrounds. I might not use them also as rear speakers, those should be a direct speaker. My son's system is similar and having his Q800ds on the side walls just above and slightly behind the listening position results in an amazing effect. His rear speakers are (for now) a pair of the slightly older iQ10, firing forward.
hatlesschimp likes this.

System includes KEF R500 floor standing, R200C center, R100 surrounds, SVS SB2000 subwoofer, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 turntable w/ Sumiko Pearl cartridge, Bluesound Vault, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer, MCS System cassette deck. The last 2 items are dust collectors but will work if asked.
post #8916 of 8927 Old Yesterday, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Kef's Uni-Q driver has been vastly improved since the 90's. Much more detail and transparency, and even a bigger sound stage!
post #8917 of 8927 Old Yesterday, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by nek View Post
Hi all

As anyone done any direct comparisons in regards to the above Kefs - Im currently using the tremendous R900’s being driven to their very best with the Parasound Halo JC1’s - to say I’m happy with this current combination is an understatement and can’t help wandering on whether the Ref 5’s would just blow them away or are they closer than we would think? -

Ken
ahh the reference 5's would blow your mind!
post #8918 of 8927 Old Yesterday, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I sold my B&W CM series HT setup and decided to try it old school with some Energy Connoisseur C-8 fronts matched with the Energy AC-300 and Energy RSVS rears. I have two amazing custom subs as well. I made the mistake of walking into my local audio store and saw the Kef Q700 in white and like the look quite a bit. I can get them, with the Q600 center and Q300 as rears for about $2200 CAD. Do you think I would notice a significant difference to my setup now? I'll be running them by an Anthem MRX-710. I can't take them home to try in my house, but from what I heard in the store, I was impressed. Thanks for input.
post #8919 of 8927 Old Yesterday, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you just might be very happy. Those Q700 are going to be much more refined in the midrange that handles so much as they've actually got a midrange speaker that your Energy doesn't. In those speakers you're asking an 8" woofer to handle everything below 1800hz and a 1" tweeter for everything above that point. In the Q700 it's not a true 3-way but at least the signals below 2500hz are handled by the much smaller 5-1/4" driver of the Uni-Q. Be aware that there aren't three woofers on the Q700, just the middle one is an actual speaker. Above and below it are passive radiators instead of ports. They can be closer to walls with no ill effect. At the top end the KEF will be just a little bit more "laid back" than the bare aluminum dome of the Energy Connoisseur series, but with perhaps a wider listening window the KEF should be better off-axis.

In a home theater situation the Q600c center is exceptional. That one is a true 3-way to handle dialog even better. My son has a Q series 7.1 system that is pretty amazing. It compares well to my R series system, mainly the two walnut finishes are different. I have true wood veneer, his is "wood like laminate." In a white, this is not a factor at all. I think you will be wowed.

Good luck!

post #8920 of 8927 Old Yesterday, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
I would NEVER use in-walls without backer boxes.................

Took some effort, but can get a hold of designer and find out specifics concerning volume needed to reach F3 well below 80 Hz.
Yeah Id love to know how big I should go with the boxes. I spoke to the distributor here and he said just make sure the cavity between the studs is sealed and have marine plywood on the front baffle so the speaker has something solid to attach to.

So here is how it will look if I can fit the speakers in without having to build false walls and pillars. I think I will require pillars. I will also have to work out the treatment and the soffit once I move in. Also another pipe dream is to have a star ceiling but dont think I can afford to do the whole ceiling. Around $6,000 just in star lighting kits (if my maths is correct).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theatre room august12.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1629457   Click image for larger version

Name:	theatre room august111.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1629465   Click image for larger version

Name:	theatre room august9.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1629473   Click image for larger version

Name:	theatre room august8.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1629481   Click image for larger version

Name:	theatre room august7.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1629489  

Name:	theatre room august4.jpg
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1629497   Click image for larger version

Name:	theatre room august2.jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1629505   Click image for larger version

Name:	theatre room august1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1629513  
KenM10759 likes this.
post #8921 of 8927 Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
I think you just might be very happy. Those Q700 are going to be much more refined in the midrange that handles so much as they've actually got a midrange speaker that your Energy doesn't. In those speakers you're asking an 8" woofer to handle everything below 1800hz and a 1" tweeter for everything above that point. In the Q700 it's not a true 3-way but at least the signals below 2500hz are handled by the much smaller 5-1/4" driver of the Uni-Q. Be aware that there aren't three woofers on the Q700, just the middle one is an actual speaker. Above and below it are passive radiators instead of ports. They can be closer to walls with no ill effect. At the top end the KEF will be just a little bit more "laid back" than the bare aluminum dome of the Energy Connoisseur series, but with perhaps a wider listening window the KEF should be better off-axis.

In a home theater situation the Q600c center is exceptional. That one is a true 3-way to handle dialog even better. My son has a Q series 7.1 system that is pretty amazing. It compares well to my R series system, mainly the two walnut finishes are different. I have true wood veneer, his is "wood like laminate." In a white, this is not a factor at all. I think you will be wowed.

Good luck!
Yep the Q600C is very good. I had to wait a week till they ordered mine in and they loaned me the Q200C and they just cant be compared! The Q series is very very good! Need for speed sounded awesome. But saying that you need a well paired Sub. I have a SVS PC13 Ultra and it was fantastic. I believe they are fairly cheap in USA. here they are 3k+.
post #8922 of 8927 Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post

Good luck!
Thanks so much for your reply. I think you've convinced me. I'll try to get that price down a little more for even more incentive.

I have some funk audio subs that will handle the low end very well. I think the gloss white will match the gloss black of the subs well.

I don't think these will sound as nice as the CM9s I had, but pretty darn close!

Thanks again!
post #8923 of 8927 Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PannTher View Post
Thanks so much for your reply. I think you've convinced me. I'll try to get that price down a little more for even more incentive.

I have some funk audio subs that will handle the low end very well. I think the gloss white will match the gloss black of the subs well.

I don't think these will sound as nice as the CM9s I had, but pretty darn close!

Thanks again!
True, the CM9 is a really good speaker and assuming it's not the CM9S2, there will be differences. The CM9 had a brighter tweeter, a little strong in mid-bass and really needs some space around it for best sound. It's a step up...or sideways...depending upon what you like in a speaker.

Your Funk Audio subs are pretty incredible pieces. Well made, can be pretty and pack quite a wallop. Good luck getting the seller down on that price, it's already a smokin' hot deal.

post #8924 of 8927 Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM

Thanks again. $2250 all in! Should be good with the Anthem driving them!

I decided on the black even though they are not gloss in case I want to sell them some day.

Apparently the white is not purchased often.

Thanks again.

Last edited by PannTher; Yesterday at 12:27 PM.
post #8925 of 8927 Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks again. $2250 all in! Should be good with the Anthem driving them!

I decided on the black even though they are not gloss in case I want to sell them some day.

Apparently the white is not purchased often.

Thanks again.
Nice!

I'll tell you that I tested an Anthem MRX710 with my KEF R series speakers, which are also just a tad laid-back like the Q series. That receiver absolutely brought them alive! You have the perfect match there, I assure you. Do report back after you get them set up and dialed in with the Anthem Room Correction. Helluva good system that is...

post #8926 of 8927 Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

What do you think?

15 degree baffle. 9.1.4 atmos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	theatre room august21.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1630721   Click image for larger version

Name:	theatre room august20.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1630729  
KenM10759 likes this.
post #8927 of 8927 Old Today, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I sold my B&W CM series HT setup and decided to try it old school with some Energy Connoisseur C-8 fronts matched with the Energy AC-300 and Energy RSVS rears. I have two amazing custom subs as well. I made the mistake of walking into my local audio store and saw the Kef Q700 in white and like the look quite a bit. I can get them, with the Q600 center and Q300 as rears for about $2200 CAD. Do you think I would notice a significant difference to my setup now? I'll be running them by an Anthem MRX-710. I can't take them home to try in my house, but from what I heard in the store, I was impressed. Thanks for input.
Hi. I think you would be impressed with the Q series. Definitely do with Q600C. I found Q200C being too small for larger drivers(I have Q900). I'm in Canada too and right now Q700 are on sale at Vision's for $998/pair. Not sure where you are located, but it might be worth stopping by and checking what they can do on the other speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , kef blade 2 , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , kef reference 3 , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair