KEF Owners Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
First ... 29  30  31 32  33  ... Last
Speakers > KEF Owners Thread
Codes20's Avatar Codes20 07:37 AM 02-07-2008
Another comparison post:

I've been looking at speakers for a while and my brother told me I should check out KEF along with the other brands I've been looking at in the $1200. The short list I have is:

PSB Image T65
Paradigm Monitor 11
Paradigm Studio 60 (can swing a deal on these, that's why they are on the list).
Def-Tech BP7002 (I work at BB, so these are 50% off for me)

I heeded my brother's advice and began looking online at the KEF iQ series, specifically the iQ9s. How do these stack up against the PSB and Paradigm speakers listed? I've demoed the Paradigms and Def-Techs, but I have yet to demo PSB and now the KEF. My use is about 70% HT and 30% music. I will only be using the two speakers until I build around the system. I have a lower end Yamaha receiver that lists at 100 wpc.

Moc247's Avatar Moc247 08:47 AM 02-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists_of_Legend View Post

To me you sound like a B&W man who for some reason wanted to have Kefs stand in reproduce B&W sound.

. . .

The iQ6c frequency response begins at 65 Hz. It sits well inside the low range (38 Hz - 40000 kHz) on the iQ9's for transparent dispersion across the sound stage.

On the lower end the iQ2c matches up with the iQ1 & iQ5's if you decide to use them as main speakers.

For home theater and many types of music (not banging out Def Leopard) this works and works well.

It just sounds to me that you probably need to go back to B&W to satisfy your listening habits. Kef simply wont do what you want it to do.

After all it's all about pleasing your own ear.

I can't say I'm a B&W man since I've never owned them. I continue to listen to as much as I can to see what is most pleasing to my ear.

I don't remember commenting on my listening habits (no head banging), but I do remember asking if anyone finds the iQ6c to small a match for the 9s. This is a reasonable question given its clear size difference to the "other guys" (in both cabinet and cone size). Sounds like you are saying it is not - thank you for the input.

The Q9s are at the top of my list right now. I love the large open enveloping soundstage. I do like the sharp detailed mids of the B&W (although the KEFs are more than adequate in this regard), but B&W has nowhere near the open soundstage of the Q9s, which is important to me.

So if anything I am more of a KEF guy thus far - but thanks for the B&W label.
Ikari Warrior's Avatar Ikari Warrior 02:03 PM 02-07-2008
The iQ9s are wonderful speakers. I haven't posted much in here in a while because once you debate and pick your set of speakers, there isn't much more to say. However listening to the operatic opening to Devil May Cry 4 last night with my set of 4 iQ9s and iQ6 center was just astounding. They always sounded great, but it was just one of those "wow" moments.

I also have my iQ9s on stands now. My ear level at the seating is higher since I use office style chairs than it would be for a couch or a recliner, so I wanted to take the iQ9s off the floor a bit. I'm using two nice 16" speaker stands from Circuit City (that I got open box for $20) for my fronts, and then built some 24" stands for the two rears, draping them in black cloth. It looks really good and gets the tweeter above a foot or two above ear level, which is always recommended for surrounds, before they were at about armrest height. Sounds much better now.

Hope everyone's enjoying they're KEFs!!
jephdood's Avatar jephdood 04:05 PM 02-07-2008
For the heck of it, I queried KEF America from their website, asking if a slightly larger iQ center was ever considered. I pretty much got the response I expected.

Hello Jeff,
That is a good idea, however we have found that people are interested in smaller slimmer center channels that fit inside holes and shelves in and entertainment center. For that reason we stuff our less expensive center channels with 5.25" drivers to keep them slim.

Have a good day
Kieran

Kieran Billmann
KEF America
Parts & Customer Service

Not that a center with all 6.5's would be that much larger..

Personally, I think there would be a market for both.
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim 06:33 PM 02-07-2008
Quote:

On the lower end the iQ2c matches up with the iQ1 & iQ5's if you decide to use them as main speakers.

I would only pair an iQ2c with the Q1s, nothing else. The iQ6c is a better center for the iQ5s.

Just my $0.02. Not really relevant to much of anything.
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim 06:35 PM 02-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codes20 View Post

How do these stack up.............

They'd be hard to stack as the curved UniQ pod sticks out above the flat part of the top of the speaker.

/rimshot
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim 06:38 PM 02-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moc247 View Post

........................but I do remember asking if anyone finds the iQ6c to small a match for the 9s. This is a reasonable question given its clear size difference to the "other guys" (in both cabinet and cone size). Sounds like you are saying it is not - thank you for the input.

If you run it as SMALL, it should perform OK, but I agree with you (again), there should be a center in the iQ series with 3 - 6.5" drivers.

You didn't comment upon my idea of an iQ9 on its side.
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim 06:44 PM 02-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood View Post

For the heck of it, I queried KEF America from their website, asking if a slightly larger iQ center was ever considered. I pretty much got the response I expected.

Hello Jeff,
That is a good idea, however we have found that people are interested in smaller slimmer center channels that fit inside holes and shelves in and entertainment center. For that reason we stuff our less expensive center channels with 5.25" drivers to keep them slim.

Have a good day
Kieran

Kieran Billmann
KEF America
Parts & Customer Service

Not that a center with all 6.5's would be that much larger..

Personally, I think there would be a market for both.

Honestly, though, centers with 6.5" drivers are NOT that common. Most have 5.25" drivers. When I had Q series KEFs, my Q9c center, with a single 6.5" driver in a UniQ pod, WAS pretty damn tall.
drunkpenguin's Avatar drunkpenguin 06:56 PM 02-07-2008
Can anybody tell me the heights of the iq5s, iq7s, and iq9s?

Im getting conflicting reports on different websites and kefs website is completely useless.
Fists_of_Legend's Avatar Fists_of_Legend 07:10 PM 02-07-2008
Quote:

I can't say I'm a B&W man since I've never owned them. I continue to listen to as much as I can to see what is most pleasing to my ear.

I don't remember commenting on my listening habits (no head banging), but I do remember asking if anyone finds the iQ6c to small a match for the 9s. This is a reasonable question given its clear size difference to the "other guys" (in both cabinet and cone size). Sounds like you are saying it is not - thank you for the input.

The Q9s are at the top of my list right now. I love the large open enveloping soundstage. I do like the sharp detailed mids of the B&W (although the KEFs are more than adequate in this regard), but B&W has nowhere near the open soundstage of the Q9s, which is important to me.

So if anything I am more of a KEF guy thus far - but thanks for the B&W label.

Didn't mean to throw you into a label you aren't really wearing :-) (But B&W aint exactly a bad one.)

I was trying to think about how the iq6c would come across as you described it and I guess head banger music is what I came up with.

You never really said; what were you listening to when you made your analysis of the iQ6c?
Fists_of_Legend's Avatar Fists_of_Legend 07:16 PM 02-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Honestly, though, centers with 6.5" drivers are NOT that common. Most have 5.25" drivers. When I had Q series KEFs, my Q9c center, with a single 6.5" driver in a UniQ pod, WAS pretty damn tall.

You really got me thinking about the specs of the Q10c since the old Q9c did have the 6.5 inch driver.

Here's Kef's link to the Q10c
http://www.kef.com/history/2000/q/qseries10c.asp

Three 5.25 inch cones. I guess the 3x 6.5 inch will probably never be...
Moc247's Avatar Moc247 07:19 PM 02-07-2008
Quote:

If you run it as SMALL, it should perform OK, but I agree with you (again), there should be a center in the iQ series with 3 - 6.5" drivers.

You didn't comment upon my idea of an iQ9 on its side.

Although an iQ9 on its side would likely be sweet sounding, I don't think it would look very good - definately negative WAF points (and likely a flat out deny). If the Qs were more standard looking and box-like you could probably get away with it.

As for 6.5" center drivers being uncommon, I didn't find that to be the case, although maybe I've just been jaded by the ones I've been looking at recently, including the PSB C60 (6.5" x 2), B&W 61 (6.5" x2), Paradigm monitor series (I forget the model - 6.5" x2), Aperion (don't recall the model) (6.5" x 2). I could be wrong, but I think the smaller Vandersteen center I was listening to earlier today had a 6+" too.

I know most, if not all of these companies had smaller offerings as well, but at least gave you the option to go big.
Moc247's Avatar Moc247 07:23 PM 02-07-2008
Quote:

Didn't mean to throw you into a label you aren't really wearing :-) (But B&W aint exactly a bad one.)

I was trying to think about how the iq6c would come across as you described it and I guess head banger music is what I came up with.

You never really said; what were you listening to when you made your analysis of the iQ6c?

I was watching Mr. and Mrs. Smith on Blu Ray - DTS-HD MA.

Like I said, its looking like the iQ9s with 6 center is going to be the way I go, although I just listened to some Vandersteens (2cs) that were appealing to me - I'm going to audition them this weekend.
Fists_of_Legend's Avatar Fists_of_Legend 08:02 PM 02-07-2008
Quote:

I was watching Mr. and Mrs. Smith on Blu Ray - DTS-HD MA.

Like I said, its looking like the iQ9s with 6 center is going to be the way I go, although I just listened to some Vandersteens (2cs) that were appealing to me - I'm going to audition them this weekend.

Truly pure sound source then.

As I have never heard the IQ9 / iQ6c combination myself, I guess I have no direct comparison. My iQ7 / iQ6c front is working to perfection so far for me from everything Direct TV, Xbox-360 thru HD-DVD and Blu Ray. At one point, I was actually thinking something has to be off, everything sounds too good to be true. But after 4 weeks of this, I have happily accepted that my setup pleases me 110%.

Whatever way you decide to go I hope you get the same satisfaction level I have achieved with my system.

Good luck to ya. :-)
TobyR's Avatar TobyR 08:46 PM 02-08-2008
Quote:

I currently have a Q9c and it IS TALL at 8.5".

It barely fits in my console and it took some creativity to get that to happen.

Console makers are starting to produce accommodating designs (BDI Meriden), but I have considered moving to iQs just for the comfort of the iQ6c's height.
pbarach's Avatar pbarach 08:57 PM 02-08-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyR View Post

It barely fits in my console and it took some creativity to get that to happen.

When you put it inside a console, the sound isn't so hot because the walls of the console will reflect and sometimes resonate the sound coming from the speaker and its port.

What I did with my Q9c was to insert the foam plug into the port and fill all of the empty space in the console shelf with pillows and towels. It made a significant difference in the clarity of movie dialogue, and an even bigger difference in 5- or 3-channel SACD's.
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim 09:51 PM 02-08-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post

...................... and kefs website is completely useless.

Why? The height of each of those is clearly stated at the website in both cm and inches.
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim 09:54 PM 02-08-2008
Quote:

You really got me thinking about the specs of the Q10c since the old Q9c did have the 6.5 inch driver.

Three 5.25 inch cones.

Wow. I don't know if I ever knew that or not. I think I always assumed that if the Q9c had 1 -6.5" driver then the Q10c must have 3 - 6.5" drivers. I guess if they put 3 - 6.5s in a cabinet like that, it would have been even taller than the 8.5" quoted by TobyR for the Q9c.
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim 10:00 PM 02-08-2008
Quote:

Although an iQ9 on its side would likely be sweet sounding, I don't think it would look very good - definately negative WAF points (and likely a flat out deny). If the Qs were more standard looking and box-like you could probably get away with it.

Hmmm. I think it'd look great. I'd think a boxy speaker that big would look worse, horizontally, than the iQ9's curvy (= sexy) cabinet.

Quote:

As for 6.5" center drivers being uncommon, I didn't find that to be the case, although maybe I've just been jaded by the ones I've been looking at recently, including the PSB C60 (6.5" x 2), B&W 61 (6.5" x2), Paradigm monitor series (I forget the model - 6.5" x2), Aperion (don't recall the model) (6.5" x 2). I could be wrong, but I think the smaller Vandersteen center I was listening to earlier today had a 6+" too.

There are definitely centers with 6.5" drivers. Maybe I should have said "centers with 5.25" drivers are the most common".
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim 10:04 PM 02-08-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

When you put it inside a console, the sound isn't so hot because the walls of the console will reflect and sometimes resonate the sound coming from the speaker and its port.

What I did with my Q9c was to insert the foam plug into the port and fill all of the empty space in the console shelf with pillows and towels. It made a significant difference in the clarity of movie dialogue, and an even bigger difference in 5- or 3-channel SACD's.

When I had the Q9c, I replaced the back foot height adjuster screw thingie with a MUCH longer screw (got the hardware store to cut me one from a threaded rod) and was able to put it right atop my TV. Granted, I have a CRT, but I would think that most non-hanging flat panels would support it; it's not THAT heavy.
TobyR's Avatar TobyR 12:19 AM 02-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

Totally agree.

My console has no side walls or back so I don't have quite that much of an issue. Just getting the 1.5" clearance so I could layer some 1/4" neoprene under on the op just over the speaker was what i needed.

I don't have other confining issues, but your suggestions make a lot of sense.

A console with 'walls' on 3 side may be an issue with some systems. Just a guess though
Fists_of_Legend's Avatar Fists_of_Legend 12:41 PM 02-10-2008
I am this week moving to a new furniture set-up that forces me to mount my center (iQ6c) above the television instead of below it.

The best idea I came up with so far is mounting a bracket-less glass shelf to the wall and mounting it there.

I'm not sure if that would be sufficient or still getting a center channel stand and the glass shelf so I can at least alter the pitch angle.

I can't place the center in front of the TV (DLP) not enough room. Or a floor stand (1 year old boy with sticky fingers) So I'm forced to go above.

I've heard of mounts that allow for placement right on top of the TV, but my TV has a thin bezel and I'd be worried about distorting the picture.

Any ideas would be appreciated. :-)
Fists_of_Legend's Avatar Fists_of_Legend 07:03 PM 02-12-2008
Quote:

I am this week moving to a new furniture set-up that forces me to mount my center (iQ6c) above the television instead of below it.

The best idea I came up with so far is mounting a bracket-less glass shelf to the wall and mounting it there.

I'm not sure if that would be sufficient or still getting a center channel stand and the glass shelf so I can at least alter the pitch angle.

I can't place the center in front of the TV (DLP) not enough room. Or a floor stand (1 year old boy with sticky fingers) So I'm forced to go above.

I've heard of mounts that allow for placement right on top of the TV, but my TV has a thin bezel and I'd be worried about distorting the picture.

Any ideas would be appreciated. :-)

I decided to mount the shelf on the wall above the TV.
I'm wondering should I plug the port since it's going to be close to the wall.
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim 10:14 PM 02-12-2008
Quote:

I'm wondering should I plug the port since it's going to be close to the wall.

How close?
Fists_of_Legend's Avatar Fists_of_Legend 08:34 AM 02-13-2008
The shelf is only 10 inches deep. So I'm literally going to be only 2 - 3 inches from the wall. It's imperfect but it's what I'm left with at this point.

Here is the shelf
http://www.target.com/Rail-Convex-Sh...538423-7600157

Also any ideas on cutting down on resonance, vibration etc will be taken seriously.

I don't want to lose my front sound stage effectiveness because I can't stabilize the center mount.
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim 12:50 PM 02-13-2008
Quote:

The shelf is only 10 inches deep. So I'm literally going to be only 2 - 3 inches from the wall. It's imperfect but it's what I'm left with at this point.

Here is the shelf
http://www.target.com/Rail-Convex-Sh...538423-7600157

Also any ideas on cutting down on resonance, vibration etc will be taken seriously.

I don't want to lose my front sound stage effectiveness because I can't stabilize the center mount.

3" should be enough to not need the port bung. Try it both ways. It's simple enough to do.

I think you will really like having the center above the TV as opposed to below it. Just make certain to tilt it down toward your face when in the "sweet spot". And give yourself a few days to get used to it. But you should find it to be less localizable.

Regarding resonances, I presume you mean from the shelf. Will it really be that flimsy (link doesn't work)? I wouldn't worry about it until you hear them; then you can go after them.
Fists_of_Legend's Avatar Fists_of_Legend 07:59 PM 02-13-2008
Quote:

3" should be enough to not need the port bung. Try it both ways. It's simple enough to do.

I think you will really like having the center above the TV as opposed to below it. Just make certain to tilt it down toward your face when in the "sweet spot". And give yourself a few days to get used to it. But you should find it to be less localizable.

Regarding resonances, I presume you mean from the shelf. Will it really be that flimsy (link doesn't work)? I wouldn't worry about it until you hear them; then you can go after them.

Thanks for the info. I will certainly try both and let you know. (the system will be completed tomorrow (new TV and AV furniture coming) I will be fine tuning and positioning speakers for a good while after everything is set up.

The shelf is heavy duty glass and maintains a weight threshold of 35kg so it's pretty stout.

Even so, I used industrial strength mounting screws to make it as stable as possible. I was worried about certain frequencies causing vibration through the glass.

I will just have to see how it turns out.
deecee20's Avatar deecee20 11:40 PM 02-13-2008
Hey all, I got the KEF 2005.2 paired with an Onkyo TX-SR605 as my first decent audio setup. I'm loving them for movies, but it seems like 2-channel listening could be better. So, I'm thinking about my next upgrade (already..yes, I know). I'm thinking that I may shoot for a pair of iQ7's in the next year or so to replace the Uni-Q satellites in the front left and right. I'm hoping that the fact that the iQ7's use the same uni-Q driver array and same tweeter will at least allow them to sound somewhat OK until I can fill in with an iQ2c at the center. I've only got a small to medium-sized room so size is a slight concern. I figure I may have to stick with smaller speakers for rear channels for the time being (possibly iQ1's?).

Anyone tried this upgrade path? Anyone run all Q-series speakers in their setup- how would you rate them?
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim 11:45 PM 02-13-2008
Quote:

Even so, I used industrial strength mounting screws to make it as stable as possible. I was worried about certain frequencies causing vibration through the glass.

Place something insulating under the speaker or at least where it makes concact with the shelf (if tilted up, for example). Foam rubber works great. So will a piece of outdoor carpeting.
TobyR's Avatar TobyR 10:15 AM 02-14-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee20 View Post

Hey all, I got the KEF 2005.2 paired with an Onkyo TX-SR605 as my first decent audio setup. I'm loving them for movies, but it seems like 2-channel listening could be better. So, I'm thinking about my next upgrade (already..yes, I know). I'm thinking that I may shoot for a pair of iQ7's in the next year or so to replace the Uni-Q satellites in the front left and right. I'm hoping that the fact that the iQ7's use the same uni-Q driver array and same tweeter will at least allow them to sound somewhat OK until I can fill in with an iQ2c at the center. I've only got a small to medium-sized room so size is a slight concern. I figure I may have to stick with smaller speakers for rear channels for the time being (possibly iQ1's?).

Anyone tried this upgrade path? Anyone run all Q-series speakers in their setup- how would you rate them?

If size is an issue you might consider:

iQ3 L/R
iQ6c Center
2 of your 2002s at LR/RR ( and go iQ1s if they don't cut it)
Sub (maybe with the 2005 sub to start)

The iQ7/iQ9s are great, but unless you need to fill in the lows with towers specifically, it iQ3s will give you comparable mids. Just my 2ยข.

Then again, some believe 2ch is best with towers
Tags: Kef , Kef Audio , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair
First ... 29  30  31 32  33  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop