post #9901 of 9913 Unread 02-25-2017, 01:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton McMillan View Post
I am just worried that in a year from now I will be mad that I didn't just buy the 900's in the first place.

And no, I'm not willing to spend that kind of money to move up to the R series..., I got the 700's for $799, there are a pair of open box 900's for 1050 but there is some damage to the timber and one of the radiators has a dent in it, so i'm kind of skeptical... the Q700's are new.
Given the fact that the Q900's in question have damage, I would pass on that particular pair.
The Q900's will have more bass, a little more oomph and play louder but difference in SPL will be marginal. Over the years I've had big Cerwin Vega (comparable to the SL 12) some Kenwood speakers with 12" drivers and a few others not worth mentioning. Though none of them can compete with the Kef's, I've found that the big drivers can shake the house with bass and volume but I get clearer mids and highs with the smaller drivers which I actually prefer since my subs can handle the bass and shake the house if I wanted to. I'll most likely get Q500's when I'm ready to complete my setup.
You can always go down to Visions and listen to the Q900's and decide for yourself which you prefer.

Kef Q100 FL/FR, Kef Q200c center, JBL Loft 40 surrounds , JBL SP 150 & Bic F12 subs, Denon AVR710Ws, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Samsung cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9902 of 9913 Unread 02-25-2017, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Badger View Post
Ken and others - I'm still working through my center channel dilemma and would appreciate your input. I've ruled out the Q200c as it won't fit in my a/v cabinet. I was sold on putting a Ci4100QL in a box that I would custom make and size to fit my cabinet but in reviewing the KEF site I just discovered the R200c height at 6.7" would fit in my cabinet's 7" height.

My questions:

1. Would the R200c be a significant upgrade compared to the Ci4100QL?
2. Would one over the other better match my Q100s that serve as my front mains?
3. Is the R200c ported or sealed and would placing it in a pull-out drawer (with a speaker fabric cover front) degrade the sound?

Placing such a nice-looking speaker as the R200c in a concealed cabinet just seems wrong and the price is a bit more than hoped but if the sound quality is likely to be much better, that and the ease of install over having to create the box would be worth it to me.

Thanks!
You could keep the rear port of the R200c plugged though there may still be some resonance of the drawer itself. That can be mitigated by stuffing closed-cell foam into the gaps here & there. If you do this, of course you should use just the outer grill of the drawer and preserve the nice magnetically attached grill of the speaker. Yes, the R200c's crossover and drivers are up a level or two from the CI4000QL. I have an R200c and it's really amazing. Keep all the bits and pieces just in case you ever rearrange/re-engineer the listening environment and get that beautiful speaker out in the open so it can breathe.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Sumiko Pearl, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #9903 of 9913 Unread 02-25-2017, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Well, it's time to retire my BIC of America speakers which have been a good speaker system for the last 15 years. For the price I paid for all my BIC speakers, they were a solid performer, with good sound quality.

Since I upgraded my system last year, which purchased my new Anthem MRX 1120 AV receiver, 4 KEF R50 up firing Atmos speakers along with my JL Audio E-110 sub, it was time to upgrade my main speakers.

With the special promotion that KEF Direct has going right now, I decided to purchase 2- KEF 700Q's, a pair of KEF Q300's and the KEF Q600C.

My new KEF's should arrive next Friday and once I have setup and calibrated my new KEF's with the Anthem ARC calibration system, I'll give my opinion on how the KEF 'ssound compared to my older BIC's. I'm sure I'll hear the difference for sure.

Have a good weekend,
Randy

post #9904 of 9913 Unread 02-25-2017, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakeplease View Post
Just received my Q500s today. I have to say, I love them. I spent weeks researching speakers. The Monitor Audio Bronze 2s had an issue where the "S" and "T"s in movies were super sharp, it would hurt my ear past 45 level on the volume knob. No issue there with the KEFs, which I thought would be worse given that they are known for a forward soundstage and clear voices. I thought the tile in my room was making it worse. The MA bronze 2s I had to turn away facing straight with no toe-in to minimize the sibilance but it killed a bit of the soundstage.

The KEF Q500s are pointed straight at my face and no issues there, movies or music. I'm psyched.

When I turn mine up they really shine. I didn't realize the detail I had been missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KenM10759 likes this.
post #9905 of 9913 Unread 02-25-2017, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
I assume you meant R900 or R700, as there is no such thing as a an R799.

I won't comment without knowing the placement of speakers relative to the listening position, the loudness you need or want at that position, whether or not you're using the speakers with a subwoofer, music or home cinema, what kind of music, and means of amplification.
I cannot comment on loudness, usual one and sometimes quite loud
For now it's without subwoofer. They will be used for HT as well and in the future I might buy subwoofer but it's not pressing.
Listening distance will be arount 3 meters. I prepared the drawing with my room, I would prefer to put them as far (close to wall) as possible without problems.
Black something is sofa, and black rectangles most extreme (= correct) position. Right is 3 meters window.

Amplifer - musical fidelity m6si.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8493083_7_1280x1024_szereg-skrajny-tyniec-maly-duza-dzialka-_rev003.png
Views:	29
Size:	357.6 KB
ID:	1992873  
post #9906 of 9913 Unread 02-25-2017, 04:14 PM

Liked: 0
Sorry, listening distance will be bigger. 4 or even around 5 meters.
post #9907 of 9913 Unread Yesterday, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton McMillan View Post
I am just worried that in a year from now I will be mad that I didn't just buy the 900's in the first place.

And no, I'm not willing to spend that kind of money to move up to the R series..., I got the 700's for $799, there are a pair of open box 900's for 1050 but there is some damage to the timber and one of the radiators has a dent in it, so i'm kind of skeptical... the Q700's are new.
The Q900 have bigger drivers which will allow for greater headroom more bass and greater sensitivity.
I just recently upgraded from Q900/q600c to the r700/r600c.
Its been a little over a week and I must say im not 100% sure that it was worth it yet....
Im still getting use to their sound. The r700s are not as efficient as the q900s.
I just cant put my finger on what the issue is...
My room is 14x12.
I mean the R series does sound a little bit better but not leaps and bounds ahead of the q series.
Im just glad that I didnt pay retail...I got a great deal on the r700s used...a deal I couldnt pass up. The r600c I got off of accessories4less.
I'll have to use the outter bungd w the r700s...maybe Im just not used to their sound yet. Its hard to blend the svs sb13 ultras and the r700s. They are very clear and detailed. Very good build quality. Bass is pretty impressive. They are about 2 years old...
To me the r600c is not as clear as the r700s. You can tell this when selecting channel level and switching between fl c fr.
Seems more muddy not as clear. For male voices maybe extra bass driver. Any one else notice this? Q600 seems clearer from memory
I like my speaker set as large and xo at 80hz. I have tried small and 80 xo and just sounds very thin. Not for me. I have the denon sub set up as main+lfe. SSeems to have better bass for subs and r700s. I did have to use the room gain compensation feature on the sb13's and it did help with blending better.

I still have my q900 and q600. I will have to swap them out and see how they sound now that I have had the r series.
I will post some pics of my set up
I really liked the q900, so go for it. You will like them.

Last edited by SMO5007; Yesterday at 12:06 PM.
post #9908 of 9913 Unread Yesterday, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007 View Post
The Q900 have bigger drivers which will allow for greater headroom more bass and greater sensitivity.
I just recently upgraded from Q900/q600c to the r700/r600c.
Its been a little over a week and I must say im not 100% sure that it was worth it yet....
Im still getting use to their sound. The r700s are not as efficient as the q900s.
I just cant put my finger on what the issue is...
My room is 14x12.
I mean the R series does sound a little bit better but not leaps and bounds ahead of the q series.
Im just glad that I didnt pay retail...I got a great deal on the r700s used...a deal I couldnt pass up. The r600c I got off of accessories4less.
I'll have to use the outter bungd w the r700s...maybe Im just not used to their sound yet. Its hard to blend the svs sb13 ultras and the r700s. They are very clear and detailed. Very good build quality. Bass is pretty impressive. They are about 2 years old...
To me the r600c is not as clear as the r700s. You can tell this when selecting channel level and switching between fl c fr.
Seems more muddy not as clear. Any one else notice this?
I like my speaker set as large and xo at 80hz. I have tried small and 80 xo and just sounds very thin. Not for me. I have the denon sub set up as main+lfe. SSeems to have better bass for subs and r700s. I did have to use the room gain compensation feature on the sb13's and it did help with blending better.

I still have my q900 and q600. I will have to swap them out and see how they sound now that I have had the r series.
I will post some pics of my set up
I really liked the q900, so go for it. You will like them.
I think what you are missing is the colorization of the 6.5" midrange.
The Q300's, Q700's and Q900's have the larger mid that a lot of people prefer
because of the fatter midrange sound.
Measurements show a bump in frequency response.

The R series are a more accurate speaker.

Steve
postrokfan likes this.
post #9909 of 9913 Unread Yesterday, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Ok Steve
Thank you for your input.
post #9910 of 9913 Unread Yesterday, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007 View Post
Seems more muddy not as clear. For male voices maybe extra bass driver. Any one else notice this? Q600 seems clearer from memory
I like my speaker set as large and xo at 80hz. I have tried small and 80 xo and just sounds very thin. Not for me.
My complaint with the R600C was with what seemed to be mid-bass emphasis, so I replaced it with a Reference 204/2C that has no such emphasis even though it has two additional drivers. I don't like the idea of doubling up in the bass region by running the mains as large with sub. I suspect you should work more on on trying to integrate the sub with the R700s or try the R700s without a sub.

Caveat: I have never heard an R700, but I thought the R600C was a very decent sounding speaker in mono. It just didn't blend as well as I wanted with my more transparent Reference 107/2s, but that was an unreasonable expectation on my part. The 204/2C blends seamlessly with the 107/2s, but it's a 3.5' wide 76 pound monster many would not consider as a center speaker.

db
post #9911 of 9913 Unread Yesterday, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 3139
Quote:
If the speaker is set as large the crossover is defeated. My guess is either speaker will require some EQ and be crossed over. Not surprised it sounded "muddy" running in full range.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."

Living Room: B&W 804D, B&W CMC S2, B&W ASW610, Yamaha RX-A2030, Rotel RC-1570, Rotel RB-1582 mkii, Oppo BDP-93, ATV.
Office: KEF LS50s, B&W ASW608, Parasound P5, Parasound A23, Marantz CD5004, Rega RP1, Bluesound Node 2.
post #9912 of 9913 Unread Yesterday, 11:31 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav Baijal View Post
Hi,

I just joined this forum recently. What color are you planning to get this in? I currently have a pair of Q300 in European Walnut and another Q100 pair for rears also in European Walnut on the way... Well they're not yet shipped. All powered by a Marantz SR5010 which I got refurbished from Accessories4Less.

I too think that the Q200C is a bit overpriced. I would like to consider using a single Q100 as the center channel. I will try that once I get the Q100s delivered to me.
I am also looking for a walnut Q100 to split in NYC, are you close by?
post #9913 of 9913 Unread Today, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr4a View Post
I think what you are missing is the colorization of the 6.5" midrange.
The Q300's, Q700's and Q900's have the larger mid that a lot of people prefer
because of the fatter midrange sound.
Measurements show a bump in frequency response.

The R series are a more accurate speaker.

Steve
In hindsight, I wish I had gone with the Q500/200C/100 setup vs. the 700/600C/300 due to the midrange driver. KEF's sweet spot for the Uni-Q is 5-1/4. The 6-1/2 is colored and the 8" is even worse on the Q900.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , kef blade 2 , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , kef reference 3 , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair