KEF Owners Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 6778 Old 03-19-2008, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am posting my speaker settings in the hope that the big guys out there will offer up any tweaks as they see fit....

I've got the 2005's from CC hooked up to an onkyo 605... The sound is absolutely amazing for my apartment size and needs....

it's actually quite simple... I have all the satelites and center set to 80.... and I had the "LPF of the lfe" set to 120. I've run auddyssey a few times and have tweaked it a little bit. For some reason Audessey always put my sub 12 feet away from the listening area, when it's more like 5 feet away.

On the sub, my crossover is around 80-90, the gain is 2/3 the way up. I have no idea what phase adjust is and have it at half way. Turning either way doesn't make much difference, which scares me that maybe i'm going deaf.....

I'll be the first to admit that I do not know much about audio theory but since all the satelites are equal in the kef, I figured they should have equal crossovers.

Thanks again for any input. Anyone compare these speakers to others like av123? I am sure the BIC subs blow my pathetic sub outta the water, but I think these satelites would hold their own with some of the other popular satelites out there in this price range (under $1000)....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 6778 Old 03-20-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by anezthetik View Post

I have all the satelites and center set to 80.

This MAY be OK, although those speakers might need a 100Hz crossover setting. Doesn't KEF recommend a crossover setting in the manual? What crossover setting does Audessey set them to?

Quote:

For some reason Audessey always put my sub 12 feet away from the listening area, when it's more like 5 feet away.

Don't change it. Leave it the way Audessey sets it. It is compensating for the actual acoustic distance as opposed to the real distance. This should also correctly adjust the phase.

Quote:

On the sub, my crossover is around 80-90, the gain is 2/3 the way up.

Set the sub's own crossover absolutely as high as it will go. Since you are using your receiver's crossover, you do not want the sub's own "crossover" (it's really an adjustable low-pass filter) to interact at all with the receiver's. Adjust the sub's own gain such that Audessey doesn't have to adjust the sub's individual level trim too much.

Quote:

I have no idea what phase adjust is and have it at half way. Turning either way doesn't make much difference, which scares me that maybe i'm going deaf.....

Set the phase to "0" and let Audessey handle the phase adjustment with, as I described above, the distance setting.

Quote:

................but since all the satelites are equal in the kef, I figured they should have equal crossovers.

Correct.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #993 of 6778 Old 03-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I just received a 3005 HT system mainly for gaming/computer AV monitor use, but I'm waiting on an Onkyo receiver for power. While inspecting all of the satellites, I noticed an interesting set of blades in front of the tweeter. Beyond providing physical protection for the tweeter, can anyone tell me what these blades do? They don't appear on any image of the 3000 satellites I've seen anywhere-including the boxes they came in (which have pictures of the speakers sans blades) and Kef's website.
LL
post #994 of 6778 Old 03-20-2008, 09:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett View Post

While inspecting all of the satellites, I noticed an interesting set of blades in front of the tweeter. Beyond providing physical protection for the tweeter, can anyone tell me what these blades do? They don't appear on any image of the 3000 satellites I've seen anywhere-including the boxes they came in (which have pictures of the speakers sans blades) and Kef's website.

Although they probably do provide some protection, that is not their purpose. They are there to provide proper dispersion. Do not remove them. The reason they are not in any of the photos is because they were a design change implemented after those original photos were taken. The new XQ series speakers have something similar that KEF calls a "tangerine" tweeter.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #995 of 6778 Old 03-20-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

This MAY be OK, although those speakers might need a 100Hz crossover setting. Doesn't KEF recommend a crossover setting in the manual? What crossover setting does Audessey set them to?

Don't change it. Leave it the way Audessey sets it. It is compensating for the actual acoustic distance as opposed to the real distance. This should also correctly adjust the phase.

Set the sub's own crossover absolutely as high as it will go. Since you are using your receiver's crossover, you do not want the sub's own "crossover" (it's really an adjustable low-pass filter) to interact at all with the receiver's. Adjust the sub's own gain such that Audessey doesn't have to adjust the sub's individual level trim too much.

Set the phase to "0" and let Audessey handle the phase adjustment with, as I described above, the distance setting.

Correct.

Audyssey sets my surrounds to about 120hz, and the fronts to 70-80hz....

What you mean by level trim for the sub I am assuming is the Db level of the subwoofer (which is +2).....

Thank you very much for the reply. Part of what did not make sense on the audyssey setup were that the crossovers on the surrounds were different than the front, and the fronts were different than the center.... It did not make sense to have different crossover levels. Also, the distances of the speakers to the center of the listening area was a little off, but way way way off when it came to the subwoofer (by about 10 feet) This is after running it 6 or 7 times......

So I decided to tweak the settings a little bit

Thanks for the speaker tips.... those are solid gold...
post #996 of 6778 Old 03-20-2008, 11:04 PM

my little nephew decided to remove the cover of my cent chan spkr (3005 series) and push in the left speaker. No tear, just an indent. any way to repair this safely?? or should i just leave it???
post #997 of 6778 Old 03-21-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by law321 View Post

my little nephew decided to remove the cover of my cent chan spkr (3005 series) and push in the left speaker. No tear, just an indent. any way to repair this safely?? or should i just leave it???

If its the cone, take a toilet paper carboard roll, place it over the indention carefully, place your mouth over the other end and suck in gently.....your fixed. But hurry and do so so no extended damage results by creating a crease.
post #998 of 6778 Old 03-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

I thought you guys would like a pic of the 2-channel room its sounds awesome, i just finally got all the acoustic panels up too... I just had a gentleman from a recording studio in Music Row in Nashville, TN. tell me that the 207's were a musicians dream... They do sound awesome!

Middle Tennessee & S.W. Florida
www.premieracousticlifestyles.com
see it. hear it. feel it.
Brad Bossman
post #999 of 6778 Old 03-21-2008, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal1982 View Post

I thought you guys would like a pic of the 2-channel room its sounds awesome, i just finally got all the acoustic panels up too... I just had a gentleman from a recording studio in Music Row in Nashville, TN. tell me that the 207's were a musicians dream... They do sound awesome!

What are those other 2 pairs of speaker between the 207s? Some Focals, I think, but WTH are those innermost speakers?

post #1000 of 6778 Old 03-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What are those other 2 pairs of speaker between the 207s? Some Focals, I think, but WTH are those innermost speakers?

Outermost are Thiel CS 3.7 and the next ones are Dynaudio Confidence C1's....

Both are absolutely amazing and sound incredible, especially the Dyn's they have an amazing bottom end for a bookshelf that will just make you sit back and stare.

Brad Bossman
post #1001 of 6778 Old 03-22-2008, 06:09 PM

Dear KEF owners,
I received my first pair of KEF speakers today, the iQ1 set, which I plan to use as rear surround speakers. I also received the iQ2c center speaker. I have all wired up and did audition the iQ1s as front speakers before I moved them to the back. I believe that I have them wired correctly-please read on. I first connected each speaker(iQ1) with 14 gage speaker wire and did NOT connect the bi wire channel device thing at the back(the thing that one uses if one chooses to bi-wire or bi-amp the speakers). The speakers sounded a little off. So I then connected the channel devices at the rear of each speaker, along with the speaker cable, into the slots, + and - accordingly. The sound was much better thereafter. I conclude that one must, in fact, connect these little pieces along with the speaker wire, into the slot, even though one does not bi-wire or bi-amp the speakers at this time. Is this correct? Page 3 of the manual is a bit lacking in depth. I connected the channel device to the top (solely) posts alone, then to the respective bottom post along with the speaker wire for that polarity.
Could someone explain the concept of bi-wiring or bi-amping and explain why these little channels must remain connected, if this is correct?
I believe that my KEFs produce sound that is a bit on the high frequency side, a bit more treble than bass; I do like the sound, although it is a bit different from my front main speakers, Infinity SM100 ported floor standing speakers of back porting and sensitivity 98 db, 8 ohm imped., with frequency response for those from 35 Hz-27kHz, whilst the iQ1 offers 50Hz-40Khz.
Further, the crossover freq. of my Infinitys are 2500 Hz and the KEFs offered 2800 Hz; I felt that this closeness in crossovers was a good point, do you agree(i.e., desired when choosing speakers, to have very similar crossover frequencies)? (I also use a Marantz 110 Watt SR7002 receiver, 14 gage copper wire to KEHs with black and red jackets over each conductor set, as side surrounds I use Infinity Sterling (sealed) SS2001 with crossover freq 4500 Hz and these are 6 ohm speakers, this pair may be my "weak link", as the others are 8 ohm speakers and better quality and are ported).
I was quite pleased with the packaging of these speakers - they each had a cardboard hand-made cutout to protect the face(with Scotch tape and obviously hand made, nice to see that they care), and these plastic bendable inserts that protected the fronts from scratching by the grilles, a black plastic piece of meshlike fabric. Styrofoam also completely engulfed each speaker entirely, with bags over each speaker. Nicely packed.
Finally, the small black styrofoam port plugs - why would one use these? I do not understand the diagram from KEF on a handout, showing these plugs inserted if a graph of the crossover frequency has a spike just after 2 Hx - how would one know this value and that these plugs are needed ? Very confusing.
Thanks for any help on the above - I did search for answers first,
Thank you, Debra
post #1002 of 6778 Old 03-22-2008, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgillilan View Post

I believe that I have them wired correctly-please read on. I first connected each speaker(iQ1) with 14 gage speaker wire and did NOT connect the bi wire channel device thing at the back(the thing that one uses if one chooses to bi-wire or bi-amp the speakers). The speakers sounded a little off. So I then connected the channel devices at the rear of each speaker, along with the speaker cable, into the slots, + and - accordingly. The sound was much better thereafter. I conclude that one must, in fact, connect these little pieces along with the speaker wire, into the slot, even though one does not bi-wire or bi-amp the speakers at this time. Is this correct? Page 3 of the manual is a bit lacking in depth. I connected the channel device to the top (solely) posts alone, then to the respective bottom post along with the speaker wire for that polarity. Could someone explain the concept of bi-wiring or bi-amping and explain why these little channels must remain connected, if this is correct?

The binding straps should ONLY be removed if you are biwiring/biamping the speakers. Otherwise, the binding straps MUST be used in order for the speakers to operate properly when wired conventionally (monowired). When the straps are present, it doesn't matter which binding posts, the top or the bottom, you use for conventionally wiring the speakers. The binding straps complete a circuit that is absolutely necessary in order for the speakers to operate properly when wired conventionally.

You should do your own research regarding biwiring and biamping.

Quote:

I believe that my KEFs produce sound that is a bit on the high frequency side, a bit more treble than bass; I do like the sound, although it is a bit different from my front main speakers, Infinity SM100 ported floor standing speakers of back porting and sensitivity 98 db, 8 ohm imped., with frequency response for those from 35 Hz-27kHz, whilst the iQ1 offers 50Hz-40Khz.

Yes, your iQ1s do not go as low as your Infinity towers. And KEF speakers are known for their clarity.

Quote:

Further, the crossover freq. of my Infinitys are 2500 Hz and the KEFs offered 2800 Hz; I felt that this closeness in crossovers was a good point, do you agree(i.e., desired when choosing speakers, to have very similar crossover frequencies)?

The relative crossover frequencies used in each speaker are irrelevant. What is important in matching speakers is that they represent the same "series" from the same speaker manufacturer; i.e. KEF iQ series. The matching speakers within a series will have similar crossovers, electronically, but the exact crossover frequencies utilized depend upon certain design characteristics of the particular speakers within the series; i.e. driver size, etc..

Quote:

I also use a Marantz 110 Watt SR7002 receiver, 14 gage copper wire to KEHs with black and red jackets over each conductor set, as side surrounds I use Infinity Sterling (sealed) SS2001 with crossover freq 4500 Hz and these are 6 ohm speakers, this pair may be my "weak link", as the others are 8 ohm speakers and better quality and are ported.

The operating impedance of a speaker is not related in any way to its quality. Nor is the presence (or absence) of a port.

Quote:

Finally, the small black styrofoam port plugs - why would one use these? I do not understand the diagram from KEF on a handout, showing these plugs inserted if a graph of the crossover frequency has a spike just after 2 Hx - how would one know this value and that these plugs are needed ? Very confusing.

That is called a port plug or port bung. The graph does not show a "crossover frequency". What it shows is a crude representation of the speaker's performance with and without the port in a particular situation. When you place a speaker near the wall and/or a corner the bass response of the speaker will be artificially augmented. This is called "boundary reinforcement". It usually results in "boominess". In some cases, it may be desirable; it depends upon the user's preference. However, this artificial bass reinforcement is usually undesirable and can be alleviated by utilizing the port plugs. Basically, they correspondingly reduce the low-end output of the speakers in order to compensate for the boundary reinforcement.

Enjoy your speakers.

post #1003 of 6778 Old 03-22-2008, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Outermost are Thiel CS 3.7............

I think you mean "innermost".

post #1004 of 6778 Old 03-22-2008, 06:49 PM

Thank you very much, sivadselim , for your answers, you have been most helpful,
Thanks again, Debra
post #1005 of 6778 Old 03-22-2008, 09:36 PM

Sivad is Miles!
post #1006 of 6778 Old 03-23-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid56 View Post

Sivad is Miles!

OMG! That is TOO weird!

post #1007 of 6778 Old 03-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think you mean "innermost".

yes you are right.... sorry about that, i am waiting on a pair of Dyn C4's joy joy

Brad Bossman
post #1008 of 6778 Old 03-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Just thought all you KEF junkies would love to hear about this i am going out to calibrate a system i sold a few months back of 207's, 2 pairs of 206ds', and a 204c as well as 2 PSW 5000 subs all in cherry out in Plano TX, with a Vidikron projector and 133" Da-Lite screen all running on monoblock amps... WOW!! Can't wait to go hear it... i will be bringing back pics it should sound and look awesome, according to the customer it sounds a little off right now... I was so happy he got this system, he bought it compared to JM Lab Focal Utopia's that i sold at the time the KEF's were a much much better buy

Brad Bossman
post #1009 of 6778 Old 03-27-2008, 04:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just thought all you KEF junkies would love to hear about this i am going out to calibrate a system i sold a few months back of 207's, 2 pairs of 206ds', and a 204c as well as 2 PSW 5000 subs all in cherry out in Plano TX, with a Vidikron projector and 133" Da-Lite screen all running on monoblock amps... WOW!! Can't wait to go hear it... i will be bringing back pics it should sound and look awesome, according to the customer it sounds a little off right now... I was so happy he got this system, he bought it compared to JM Lab Focal Utopia's that i sold at the time the KEF's were a much much better buy

I'll meet you there.

post #1010 of 6778 Old 03-27-2008, 06:05 PM

Hey KEF owners. I'm looking at the iQ9s from a dealer. I know they retail for about $1200/pair, but what price were you willing to come away from the transaction with? I work in sales, so I know the haggling game. I'm just trying to get a ballpark figure of what a pair of iQ9s would be out the door and how much off of MSRP you were able to get. I know that speakers typically carry high margins, but I want some wiggle room so I can get a good deal, but still have the dealer like my business. After all, I will probably be going back for more equipment later.
post #1011 of 6778 Old 03-27-2008, 09:29 PM

i gotta great deal on the 2005.2's (less than $200 from c.c.) but now i need a reciever. And i can't afford to shell out 400-600 right now. I was looking at the Harmon Kardon 147. it's pretty cheap on ebay refurbished. right now i have a pioneere vsx-516k. But i only hear good things about Harmon. Any Suggestions?
post #1012 of 6778 Old 03-28-2008, 10:07 PM

Anyone had experience with 5005.2?
post #1013 of 6778 Old 03-30-2008, 06:08 AM

If you own a set of KEF 3005's make sure to buy an Onkyo 805 vs. a 605. These KEF's are a little power hungry and I'm hoping I can trade up with Vann's to the 805. KEF 3005's are phenomonal for the money.
post #1014 of 6778 Old 03-30-2008, 06:40 AM

i own the kef 2005.2 speakers.

i am looking at the yamaha 663, pioneer 1018, panasonic xr700 receivers. for now, looks like like i will go with the pioneer. i liked the xr700 but could not get it at a reasonable price.

would these receivers be able to drive my kef well. should i go for even higher end receivers. i am concerned with the heating issues in onkyo 805. i liked the reviews on it though.

your inputs are much appreciated. thanks.
post #1015 of 6778 Old 03-30-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssadish View Post

would these receivers be able to drive my kef well. should i go for even higher end receivers.

See my post at the bottom of the previous page (or quoted at the top of this page).

Depending on you're room size and expectations, the simple answer is:

Yes the 663 and 1018 (since they have the same/similar amps to their previous model) will power them fine, the panny's I am unfamiliar with so no comment. However a 'better quality' amp will power them better but not necessarily louder, something that applies to roughly 99% of speakers.

who ever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.
post #1016 of 6778 Old 03-31-2008, 11:24 AM

I purchased the 3005 system and I was wondering if there is an alternative to purchasing the KEF 3001 stands. On Ebay, there are Atlantic speaker stands for substantially less money. Will these stands or any universal satellite speaker stands work with the KEF speakers?
post #1017 of 6778 Old 04-01-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sklan57 View Post

I purchased the 3005 system and I was wondering if there is an alternative to purchasing the KEF 3001 stands. On Ebay, there are Atlantic speaker stands for substantially less money. Will these stands or any universal satellite speaker stands work with the KEF speakers?

Nope I thought the same thing, the speakers are made in such a way that it will only work with the proper stands.
post #1018 of 6778 Old 04-01-2008, 11:29 AM

Thanks for your reply re: the stands. Now I won't feel as bad that I have to pay up for the stands.
post #1019 of 6778 Old 04-03-2008, 10:02 AM

Is there anything new going on at KEF?

I researched KEF IQ9's several months ago. Now that I am in the market, KEF's seem to be a bit more scarce. While there are good reasons for consolidating ones distribution network, lack of availability can also foreshadow new product launches or financial difficulties. I can still find them, but the number of hits seem way down.

I guess another option could be that these things are selling like hotcakes, but I don't get the impression that that is the case.

Just wondering if people have heard of anything?
post #1020 of 6778 Old 04-03-2008, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George 0831 View Post

Is there anything new going on at KEF?

Just wondering if people have heard of anything?

Not that I know of. They definitely could use a new marketing strategy. I really don't know what the deal is with it. The local B&M that used to sell them here, quit over a year ago. CC still sells their satellite setups. There ARE still several reliable online sources.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page