Forum Jump: 
 749Likes
post #10261 of 10276 Unread 04-22-2017, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 718
All it would take to change the look of the IsoAcoustics Aperta isolation risers if you don't care for the looks would be to lay some cloth you do like over them and place the speakers on top. Functionally, there's nothing better on the market!

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Sumiko Pearl, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10262 of 10276 Unread 04-23-2017, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have an older pair (late 90s/early 2000s) of KEF Reference Model 2s and am currently using an older KEF Reference Model 100c center speaker with them. I'd like to upgrade my center. Would a Q200c or single LS50 be a better match? I can't go more than 22"w or 9"h so a Q600c won't work.

A Yamaha 1060 drives my center and rears and a Parasound Halo A23 drives my mains.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by AsahiToro; 04-23-2017 at 08:27 PM.
post #10263 of 10276 Unread 04-23-2017, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsahiToro View Post
I have an older pair (late 90s/early 2000s) of KEF Reference Model 2s and am currently using an older KEF Reference Model 100c center speaker with them. I'd like to upgrade my center. Would a Q200c or single LS50 be a better match? I can't go more than 22"w or 9"h so a Q600c won't work.

A Yamaha 1060 drives my center and rears and a Parasound Halo A23 drives my mains.

Thanks for any input.
Consider an R200c, it would be far closer.
10k likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Sumiko Pearl, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.

post #10264 of 10276 Unread Yesterday, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a pair of KEF Reference Ones and I'm not sure if I'm feeding them enough power. When I set up my system I ended up buying an ANTHEM MRX720. It seemed decent to me on the spec page but everyone else seems to be using somewhat more sophisticated equipment.

I have a strange HT setup. I got bored of trying to figure out how to do surrounds in a way that wouldn't drive me crazy aesthetically and then I gave up because I really dont' care about Atmos and the like. As a result I'm actually only running three channels (LCR) it works well for me. I watch old movies and don't really care about special effects channels. My center channel is not a Reference center but the R600 which seems pretty well matched with the Reference One's. Upgrading the center to a Reference didn't seem worth it. I primarily care about listening to Music.

I want to upgrade my sound a little and was thinking about either:

1. Changing the power amplifier stage to give the KEF Refs more to have fun with.
2. Add a musical subwoofer into the mix and let if huff at the deeper end while the Anthem powers the LCR.

What would you guys do? One thought I had was buy one (or two) R400b subwoofers. I know it's not the Reference 8b but apart from the power output I couldn't really see much that was different between the two and I can buy two 400b's for half the price of the Ref 8b.

I live in a large loft. 15' ceilings, 20' wide and 60' long. I don't need to fill the whole room with deep bass, just the part of the room where I watch movies and listen to music. That's about 20' long. I know I'll never get to perfection, I'm just looking for a way to get a bit more out of an already nice sounding system.

R-S
post #10265 of 10276 Unread Yesterday, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 89
You are probably correct. I would guess that most KEF Reference owners would be using a separate high quality amp. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to spend that kind of money on speakers and then rely on an AVR to feed them.

Sean
post #10266 of 10276 Unread Yesterday, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul View Post

1. Changing the power amplifier stage to give the KEF Refs more to have fun with.

2. Add a musical subwoofer into the mix and let if huff at the deeper end while the Anthem powers the LCR.

R-S

I would add a high quality sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10267 of 10276 Unread Yesterday, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
I have a pair of KEF Reference Ones and I'm not sure if I'm feeding them enough power. When I set up my system I ended up buying an ANTHEM MRX720. It seemed decent to me on the spec page but everyone else seems to be using somewhat more sophisticated equipment.

I have a strange HT setup. I got bored of trying to figure out how to do surrounds in a way that wouldn't drive me crazy aesthetically and then I gave up because I really dont' care about Atmos and the like. As a result I'm actually only running three channels (LCR) it works well for me. I watch old movies and don't really care about special effects channels. My center channel is not a Reference center but the R600 which seems pretty well matched with the Reference One's. Upgrading the center to a Reference didn't seem worth it. I primarily care about listening to Music.

What would you guys do? One thought I had was buy one (or two) R400b subwoofers. I know it's not the Reference 8b but apart from the power output I couldn't really see much that was different between the two and I can buy two 400b's for half the price of the Ref 8b.

I live in a large loft. 15' ceilings, 20' wide and 60' long. I don't need to fill the whole room with deep bass, just the part of the room where I watch movies and listen to music. That's about 20' long. I know I'll never get to perfection, I'm just looking for a way to get a bit more out of an already nice sounding system.

R-S
I don't think your going to ever be happy here. Does that AVR allow an external stereo amp?

I have Reference 1s and Reference 4C center. These speakers love high current that I just don't think your going to get with that AVR. When I auditioned it seemed you keep turning the volume more and never stop. They suck the current up like a sponge. You may be getting sound but you need more in my opinion.

I'm running three mono amps for left/right/center. But you probably need a decent stereo amp or multi channel amp over an AVR. Did your dealer send you down that path?

I use Simaudio with great luck. Are you using Reference center? A multi channel amp might be a good idea if yes. I would not even run the Reference Center off an AVR. NAD Masters, Parasound ect might be in reach.

Simaudio 400M is what I'm using times 3. I'm using an a Arcam AVR as a pre/pro and I just don't like it at all. I needed 4K and due to cost stayed in the Arcam range. I miss my non 4K prepro big time.

http://www.simaudio.com/en/product/3...amplifier.html

Send a pm if you want to talk more. I know spending more money sucks but these speakers really need high current pumped in.

Rick
post #10268 of 10276 Unread Today, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Consider going with Ci5160RL for the front three, but make it up saving on surrounds by using the Ci4000QL for those. It would be an awesome set up.

How much of the time would you use the system for music versus movies?
100% movies. I do not listen to music in this space.

I was thinking of doing the Ci3160RL for the fronts, rears and sides. But for today I am doing the 4 atmos speakers. Then I will do the rears and sides replacing my current rears. Lastly I will replace my front 3 speakers. At that time I may do inwall or may do floor standing.

For today I am trying to decide on the Ci200QR ($350 dealer or $229 online) and the Ci200RR ($800 dealer or $550 online).
4 QR's: $1400 or $916
or
4 RR's: $3200 or $2200
Plus install if I do not do it myself which would be $200-300 from the pro.
post #10269 of 10276 Unread Today, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello,

I'm looking for advise on surround sound speakers/placement for KEF series speakers. I currently have Q900 LR and Q600C. I was planning on doing a 5.2.4 layout with KEF Cil60CR.

The main problem I'm having is the placement of the side surrounds as the ideal location would be where the hallway is. I believe the best location for placement after that would be just behind the listeners head as putting them on the other side of the hallway would put them too far ahead (plan on sitting back at least 10ft-12ft)

I was leaning towards the Q800ds as that would point the drivers at the listeners rather than the Q100 or Q300 that would be mounted on the wall and not directed at the listening position.

Any thoughts on the Q800ds, it's hard to find people who have them and their thoughts and impressions. (have heard lots about cancellation issues and am a little worried). Any idea of any other speakers that would timbre match well to what I have????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jer181-floor-plan-angles-sirjaymz.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	2101873  
post #10270 of 10276 Unread Today, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:

R-S
Running your speakers full range is what's sucking the life out of your AVR. Adding the subs would take a lot of strain off both your AVR and speakers from playing the power draining low end below 80hz. You mentioned liking the way it sounds so adding subs would give you a lot more head room.

Kef Q100 FL/FR, Kef Q200c center, JBL Loft 40 surrounds , JBL SP 150 & Bic F12 subs, Denon AVR710Ws, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Samsung cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #10271 of 10276 Unread Today, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, what subs go well with the KEF Reference? Or is there no great answer here? There didn't seem to be much to the KEF subs, they seem okay but to date there haven't been many reviews.
post #10272 of 10276 Unread Today, 12:13 PM

I would ask your question in the subwoofer forum. I am very happy with my HSU sub.

post #10273 of 10276 Unread Today, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, what subs go well with the KEF Reference? Or is there no great answer here? There didn't seem to be much to the KEF subs, they seem okay but to date there haven't been many reviews.
Did you blow by everything I said and listen to someone about the subs? Your call but running your speakers full range has nothing to do with it. Those speakers need more power than that AVR can provide. Period. I am surprised the AVR is not going into auto protect mode.

You can pick the answer you like or listen to other owners..

Just saying.. Hope the subs fix all your issues.

Plenty of good subs to pick from.

Rick
post #10274 of 10276 Unread Today, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
Did you blow by everything I said and listen to someone about the subs?
Rick
I'm still soliciting opinions. Don't take it personally.

The Anthem was supposed to be a decent option for an AVR in terms of amplification. I imagine you'd need the current to drive the lower end and the sub will take care of that. Based on the physics of it, I'd say it's a plausible theory. I can hang an amplifier off the AVR and giving up the HDMI switching and room correction would be a drag. I may go with a Devialet or the new Micromega M-One. They run cool and are small enough to not intrude too much on my room.

To answer your question about the center I'm using the KEF R600 (You blew by that in my original post). I should have got a third Reference One but they don't sell them in singletons and the profile on the R600 is rather sweet.

Will have to audition a sub and an amp and see which one I want to keep after listening to it.

R-S
post #10275 of 10276 Unread Today, 01:31 PM

Quote:

The Anthem was supposed to be a decent option for an AVR in terms of amplification. I imagine you'd need the current to drive the lower end and the sub will take care of that. Based on the physics of it, I'd say it's a plausible theory. I can hang an amplifier off the AVR and giving up the HDMI switching and room correction would be a drag. I may go with a Devialet or the new Micromega M-One. They run cool and are small enough to not intrude too much on my room.

To answer your question about the center I'm using the KEF R600 (You blew by that in my original post). I should have got a third Reference One but they don't sell them in singletons and the profile on the R600 is rather sweet.

Will have to audition a sub and an amp and see which one I want to keep after listening to it.

R-S

I just have the puny Q series but they really came alive when I added the HSU sub. If you want advice on which sub, I would comb the sub forum. I expect what you are asking for has been asked a million times there.

post #10276 of 10276 Unread Today, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

R-S
I didn't take it personally thus why I added the smile face. There have been one at least and maybe two who left the Reference 1 behind as they really were having problems getting an amp that seemed to be happy with and within budget. I have owned a few speakers but these are really the ones that like a separate amp the best although I have owned some Dynaudio in the past and they were similar.

Your center is fine then on the AVR. I did not check the AVR specs but I am sure you must be able to connect an external stereo amp. For giggles I plugged them into my Arcam AVR without the amps and I got sound but the bass was weak. The sound was more closed in and not the life and separation they have with the separate amps.

Audiogon is always a great place to buy used especially amps.
You will save some money since you can run the center off the AVR.

My center didn't do so well with an AVR. Seriously though, I only comment as you spent a mint on great speakers. I hope you will get to hear their potential in your own home. It's not a volume thing as I stated either.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Center5.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	2102457  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , kef blade 2 , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , kef reference 3 , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair