KEF Owners Thread - Page 343 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 749Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #10261 of 10267 Unread 04-22-2017, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 2,445
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 718
All it would take to change the look of the IsoAcoustics Aperta isolation risers if you don't care for the looks would be to lay some cloth you do like over them and place the speakers on top. Functionally, there's nothing better on the market!

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Sumiko Pearl, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
KenM10759 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10262 of 10267 Unread Yesterday, 07:48 PM
Member
 
AsahiToro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have an older pair (late 90s/early 2000s) of KEF Reference Model 2s and am currently using an older KEF Reference Model 100c center speaker with them. I'd like to upgrade my center. Would a Q200c or single LS50 be a better match? I can't go more than 22"w or 9"h so a Q600c won't work.

A Yamaha 1060 drives my center and rears and a Parasound Halo A23 drives my mains.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by AsahiToro; Yesterday at 08:27 PM.
AsahiToro is online now  
post #10263 of 10267 Unread Yesterday, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 2,445
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsahiToro View Post
I have an older pair (late 90s/early 2000s) of KEF Reference Model 2s and am currently using an older KEF Reference Model 100c center speaker with them. I'd like to upgrade my center. Would a Q200c or single LS50 be a better match? I can't go more than 22"w or 9"h so a Q600c won't work.

A Yamaha 1060 drives my center and rears and a Parasound Halo A23 drives my mains.

Thanks for any input.
Consider an R200c, it would be far closer.
10k likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Sumiko Pearl, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
KenM10759 is offline  
 
post #10264 of 10267 Unread Today, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: New York,NY,USA
Posts: 1,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a pair of KEF Reference Ones and I'm not sure if I'm feeding them enough power. When I set up my system I ended up buying an ANTHEM MRX720. It seemed decent to me on the spec page but everyone else seems to be using somewhat more sophisticated equipment.

I have a strange HT setup. I got bored of trying to figure out how to do surrounds in a way that wouldn't drive me crazy aesthetically and then I gave up because I really dont' care about Atmos and the like. As a result I'm actually only running three channels (LCR) it works well for me. I watch old movies and don't really care about special effects channels. My center channel is not a Reference center but the R600 which seems pretty well matched with the Reference One's. Upgrading the center to a Reference didn't seem worth it. I primarily care about listening to Music.

I want to upgrade my sound a little and was thinking about either:

1. Changing the power amplifier stage to give the KEF Refs more to have fun with.
2. Add a musical subwoofer into the mix and let if huff at the deeper end while the Anthem powers the LCR.

What would you guys do? One thought I had was buy one (or two) R400b subwoofers. I know it's not the Reference 8b but apart from the power output I couldn't really see much that was different between the two and I can buy two 400b's for half the price of the Ref 8b.

I live in a large loft. 15' ceilings, 20' wide and 60' long. I don't need to fill the whole room with deep bass, just the part of the room where I watch movies and listen to music. That's about 20' long. I know I'll never get to perfection, I'm just looking for a way to get a bit more out of an already nice sounding system.

R-S
raoul is offline  
post #10265 of 10267 Unread Today, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stash64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Packer country
Posts: 1,182
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 86
You are probably correct. I would guess that most KEF Reference owners would be using a separate high quality amp. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to spend that kind of money on speakers and then rely on an AVR to feed them.

Sean
stash64 is offline  
post #10266 of 10267 Unread Today, 05:20 PM
Member
 
modenacart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul View Post





I want to upgrade my sound a little and was thinking about either:



1. Changing the power amplifier stage to give the KEF Refs more to have fun with.

2. Add a musical subwoofer into the mix and let if huff at the deeper end while the Anthem powers the LCR.



R-S

I would add a high quality sub.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
modenacart is online now  
post #10267 of 10267 Unread Today, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mr.SoftDome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul View Post
I have a pair of KEF Reference Ones and I'm not sure if I'm feeding them enough power. When I set up my system I ended up buying an ANTHEM MRX720. It seemed decent to me on the spec page but everyone else seems to be using somewhat more sophisticated equipment.

I have a strange HT setup. I got bored of trying to figure out how to do surrounds in a way that wouldn't drive me crazy aesthetically and then I gave up because I really dont' care about Atmos and the like. As a result I'm actually only running three channels (LCR) it works well for me. I watch old movies and don't really care about special effects channels. My center channel is not a Reference center but the R600 which seems pretty well matched with the Reference One's. Upgrading the center to a Reference didn't seem worth it. I primarily care about listening to Music.

I want to upgrade my sound a little and was thinking about either:

1. Changing the power amplifier stage to give the KEF Refs more to have fun with.
2. Add a musical subwoofer into the mix and let if huff at the deeper end while the Anthem powers the LCR.

What would you guys do? One thought I had was buy one (or two) R400b subwoofers. I know it's not the Reference 8b but apart from the power output I couldn't really see much that was different between the two and I can buy two 400b's for half the price of the Ref 8b.

I live in a large loft. 15' ceilings, 20' wide and 60' long. I don't need to fill the whole room with deep bass, just the part of the room where I watch movies and listen to music. That's about 20' long. I know I'll never get to perfection, I'm just looking for a way to get a bit more out of an already nice sounding system.

R-S
I don't think your going to ever be happy here. Does that AVR allow an external stereo amp?

I have Reference 1s and Reference 4C center. These speakers love high current that I just don't think your going to get with that AVR. When I auditioned it seemed you keep turning the volume more and never stop. They suck the current up like a sponge. You may be getting sound but you need more in my opinion.

I'm running three mono amps for left/right/center. But you probably need a decent stereo amp or multi channel amp over an AVR. Did your dealer send you down that path?

I use Simaudio with great luck. Are you using Reference center? A multi channel amp might be a good idea if yes. I would not even run the Reference Center off an AVR. NAD Masters, Parasound ect might be in reach.

Simaudio 400M is what I'm using times 3. I'm using an a Arcam AVR as a pre/pro and I just don't like it at all. I needed 4K and due to cost stayed in the Arcam range. I miss my non 4K prepro big time.

http://www.simaudio.com/en/product/3...amplifier.html

Send a pm if you want to talk more. I know spending more money sucks but these speakers really need high current pumped in.

Rick
Mr.SoftDome is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , kef blade 2 , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , kef reference 3 , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off