KEF Owners Thread - Page 353 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 807Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #10561 of 10581 Unread 06-24-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by modenacart View Post
RadioShack have been going under all over. I was able to get pure copper speaker wire for 70% off. I got some rated for outdoors and some for in wall. It was like $8 for 100ft or something. I would keep an eye out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not so much concerned about cost. I can get speaker wire and zip ties locally pretty cheap. Pulling the AVR out, rewiring, removing base boards and moving furniture around is the part I'm not looking forward to. Like I mentioned, the sound is beautiful as is which is causing me to procrastinate the project.

Kef Q100 FL/FR, Kef Q200c center, Kef Q100 surrounds , JBL SP 150 & Bic F12 subs, Denon AVR710Ws, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Samsung cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10562 of 10581 Unread Yesterday, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Kef Q100 down to $298/pair in canada if any is interested. Price is too good to pass up so I ordered a pair to complete my 5.2 setup.
http://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/cat...shelf-Speakers

Kef Q100 FL/FR, Kef Q200c center, Kef Q100 surrounds , JBL SP 150 & Bic F12 subs, Denon AVR710Ws, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Samsung cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.

Last edited by pase22; Yesterday at 07:23 AM.
pase22 is online now  
post #10563 of 10581 Unread Yesterday, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
sworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hollywood, U.S.A.
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Did the R100s used to come with a threaded mounting attachment on the back? The installer just delivered my speakers and was surprised to find that there was no accommodation for wall mounting. He says he's mounted them on walls before and they had a standard mounting method. But now they have no way to attach them and the whole back side is taken up with some complicated bi-amping contraption. He's off looking for some sort of L bracket that will work. It's weird that bookshelf speakers wouldn't be set up to use as surrounds.
sworth is online now  
 
post #10564 of 10581 Unread Yesterday, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stash64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Packer country
Posts: 1,224
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I really like the quality of the binding posts on the R100, as well as the bi-amp contraption... though I don't use it. It's actually elegant compared to having a removable strap of some sort. I don't believe my R100's have any sort of wall mount provision. R100's are a little big for the typical single screw type wall mount. Here is what I use:


https://www.amazon.com/B-Tech-BT77-U...+speaker+mount


Lots of adjustability with the above mounts.
KenM10759 likes this.

Sean
stash64 is offline  
post #10565 of 10581 Unread Yesterday, 10:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Gabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Kef Q100 down to $298/pair in canada if any is interested. Price is too good to pass up so I ordered a pair to complete my 5.2 setup.
http://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/cat...shelf-Speakers
Thanks for this info, just reserved myself one pair at visions ca

Picking them up today and im gonna set them up as my surrounds. So ill have a q300/q600/q100 combo/with SVS pb100 sub
KenM10759 and pase22 like this.
Gabre is offline  
post #10566 of 10581 Unread Yesterday, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dbphd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montecito, CA
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
I really like the quality of the binding posts on the R100, as well as the bi-amp contraption... though I don't use it. It's actually elegant compared to having a removable strap of some sort.
Just be careful if you do use them to bi-amp. I blew up a Proceed Amp 2 by having the setting wrong, so that the two amps shorted, resulting in an acrid smell and smoke. Surprisingly, the amp still functions, but doesn't sound as it should. Not sure it's worth repairing.

db
KenM10759 likes this.
dbphd is offline  
post #10567 of 10581 Unread Yesterday, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 2,607
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
Did the R100s used to come with a threaded mounting attachment on the back? The installer just delivered my speakers and was surprised to find that there was no accommodation for wall mounting. He says he's mounted them on walls before and they had a standard mounting method. But now they have no way to attach them and the whole back side is taken up with some complicated bi-amping contraption. He's off looking for some sort of L bracket that will work. It's weird that bookshelf speakers wouldn't be set up to use as surrounds.
I think your installer has the R100 confused with some other speaker because these have never had any wall mounting features. Being a rear-ported speaker KEF prefers them to be at least 9" from a wall. Mine are on shelves I installed and I have only about 6" behind one, a little more on the other. I do use the 1/2 port plug with them.

The brackets shared by Gabre are very good and I've seen them holding heavier speakers than R100's before. Good luck, and ENJOY them!

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
KenM10759 is online now  
post #10568 of 10581 Unread Yesterday, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabre View Post
Thanks for this info, just reserved myself one pair at visions ca

Picking them up today and im gonna set them up as my surrounds. So ill have a q300/q600/q100 combo/with SVS pb100 sub
I'm curious as to how much difference the Q100's will make over my cheap surrounds. I have to wall mount them due to space constraints, Though crossing them over at 80hz should make wall mounting a non issue. I'll know in a few days.

Kef Q100 FL/FR, Kef Q200c center, Kef Q100 surrounds , JBL SP 150 & Bic F12 subs, Denon AVR710Ws, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Samsung cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
post #10569 of 10581 Unread Today, 06:35 AM
Member
 
aoaaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 12
got the subwoofer installed. LFE crossover 120hz.

What do u guys reccomend to watch to test it out?

Replayed a few scenes from LOTR and wow... this is so subtle yet beautiful. I thoughtI'd hear thumping from the left quite obvious but I feel like the frequencies are coming from my other speakers.


do i keep the sub powered on all the time now? or power it off when not in use?



hi got my monolith plus in today.

beautiful sound.

when i skip movies quickly though scenes when the player catches up i hear a very low volume knock sound and then audio starts and its all dandy and normal.

is this normal?

I'm kind of assuming it is and I'm being abit OCD.

im kind of guessing its normal as its VERY subtle and not all the time, normally just if i skip to a scene requiring bass.

Last edited by aoaaron; Today at 06:50 AM.
aoaaron is offline  
post #10570 of 10581 Unread Today, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoaaron View Post
got the subwoofer installed. LFE crossover 120hz.

What do u guys reccomend to watch to test it out?

Replayed a few scenes from LOTR and wow... this is so subtle yet beautiful. I thoughtI'd hear thumping from the left quite obvious but I feel like the frequencies are coming from my other speakers.


do i keep the sub powered on all the time now? or power it off when not in use?
I can't remember what setup you have but, 120hz is too high. I'd try 60-80hz for towers and 80-90 for bookshelves. I just keep my subs on auto, activates when it detects a signal and stays on standby when not in use.
Master and commander, U-571, San Andreas are pretty good test movies.

Kef Q100 FL/FR, Kef Q200c center, Kef Q100 surrounds , JBL SP 150 & Bic F12 subs, Denon AVR710Ws, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Samsung cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
post #10571 of 10581 Unread Today, 06:55 AM
Member
 
aoaaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
I can't remember what setup you have but, 120hz is too high. I'd try 60-80hz for towers and 80-90 for bookshelves. I just keep my subs on auto, activates when it detects a signal and stays on standby when not in use.
Master and commander, U-571, San Andreas are pretty good test movies.

Thanks pase, also

when i skip movies quickly though scenes when the player catches up i hear a very low volume knock sound and then audio starts and its all dandy and normal.

is this normal?

I'm kind of assuming it is and I'm being abit OCD.

im kind of guessing its normal as its VERY subtle and not all the time, normally just if i skip to a scene requiring bass. its sometimes a light knock and then boom beautiful sound.
aoaaron is offline  
post #10572 of 10581 Unread Today, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoaaron View Post
Thanks pase, also

when i skip movies quickly though scenes when the player catches up i hear a very low volume knock sound and then audio starts and its all dandy and normal.

is this normal?

I'm kind of assuming it is and I'm being abit OCD.

im kind of guessing its normal as its VERY subtle and not all the time, normally just if i skip to a scene requiring bass. its sometimes a light knock and then boom beautiful sound.
Most likely you sub detecting the signal. Mine will do that from time to time. If on the pc and switch to tv and some action is going on, the sub will knock for a second since it was on standby.

Kef Q100 FL/FR, Kef Q200c center, Kef Q100 surrounds , JBL SP 150 & Bic F12 subs, Denon AVR710Ws, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Samsung cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
post #10573 of 10581 Unread Today, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 2,607
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked: 758
With my KEF R500's and SVS SB2000, I have the crossovers for the speakers set at 70hz and the sub on "LFE" which means it gets everything the speakers don't. My son has the Q500 and SVS PB2000, his are set at 80hz and LFE. Both systems have the level initially set by Audyssey, and both of us have it manually overridden by varying degree. I've dialed mine up to +3 from what Audyssey set, I don't know where my son set his but it doesn't sound overly "bassy." In fact I consider it to be a perfectly seamless pairing because few people even realize there's a sub hiding just behind and to the left of my left front speaker.

We never get any knocks, ticks or thumps of any kind despite being set on auto-detect. I can see the power status light turn from red to blue (on/off) as soon as it senses a signal even if it's a very low volume, but no noise to give it away. It'll stay on for about 12 to 15 minutes after I turn the system off, no big deal.

When I run a BluRay movie such as Tron Legacy or any of the Transformers movies, the sub gets a really good workout.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
KenM10759 is online now  
post #10574 of 10581 Unread Today, 07:30 AM
Member
 
aoaaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thank you guys! It sounds so good at present.

Yup the knock seems to come when detecting signal.Its a very very very quiet knock, doesn't happen during playback, just before something starts. I'm guessing something normal/not to be worried about?
aoaaron is offline  
post #10575 of 10581 Unread Today, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
sworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hollywood, U.S.A.
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 148
It's probably just the HDMI handshake reconnecting after the signal drops out when you skip through. Not a problem. If you pause / skip / unpause it probably won't do that.
sworth is online now  
post #10576 of 10581 Unread Today, 08:36 AM
Member
 
aoaaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yup thjink its a kodi issue tbh! If kodi isn't in charge of the audio it doesnt happen.


OMG! this is beautiful! speaker game once again revolutioned.

The sound before sounded beautiful.. like 1000x time better than anything I've heard. but with a decent subwoofer it doesnt sound beautiful, it sounds complete. the sound legitamtelty feels like its all around the room now.

And then the moments when the sub really shines.. well it really shines and adds an element to the situation which cant be done without it! I watched a scene from the llion king when the two lions fight and the sound when they attack was really not conceivable before. likewise i watched a scene from attack on titan and i felt like i could feel the giants/titans walking.

damn!!!

Got a 65inch Panasonic 902b led coming in to complete this setup. was gonna go OLED but my TV acts as a TV monitor.. cba with image retention.

Still my minds madeup.. I think sound:video should be a 2:1 ratio at the LEAST. before all this I honestly thought a good TV with good TV speakers is enough.
KenM10759 likes this.
aoaaron is offline  
post #10577 of 10581 Unread Today, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoaaron View Post
Yup thjink its a kodi issue tbh! If kodi isn't in charge of the audio it doesnt happen.


OMG! this is beautiful! speaker game once again revolutioned.

The sound before sounded beautiful.. like 1000x time better than anything I've heard. but with a decent subwoofer it doesnt sound beautiful, it sounds complete. the sound legitamtelty feels like its all around the room now.

And then the moments when the sub really shines.. well it really shines and adds an element to the situation which cant be done without it! I watched a scene from the llion king when the two lions fight and the sound when they attack was really not conceivable before. likewise i watched a scene from attack on titan and i felt like i could feel the giants/titans walking.

damn!!!

Got a 65inch Panasonic 902b led coming in to complete this setup. was gonna go OLED but my TV acts as a TV monitor.. cba with image retention.

Still my minds madeup.. I think sound:video should be a 2:1 ratio at the LEAST. before all this I honestly thought a good TV with good TV speakers is enough.
You're really making me want to upgrade my sub! I was saving up for one since they aren't cheap in Canada but blew most of it on a pair of Q100's.

Kef Q100 FL/FR, Kef Q200c center, Kef Q100 surrounds , JBL SP 150 & Bic F12 subs, Denon AVR710Ws, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Samsung cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
post #10578 of 10581 Unread Today, 08:45 AM
Member
 
aoaaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
You're really making me want to upgrade my sub! I was saving up for one since they aren't cheap in Canada but blew most of it on a pair of Q100's.
I dont know how to describe sound anymore!

To think a couple of weeks ago I was listened to TV speakers and wondering why I couldn't appreciate films!
aoaaron is offline  
post #10579 of 10581 Unread Today, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoaaron View Post
I dont know how to describe sound anymore!

To think a couple of weeks ago I was listened to TV speakers and wondering why I couldn't appreciate films!
I know the feeling well. It will be even better once you get the sub dialed in. Be sure to re-run audyssey if you move the sub to a different location.

Kef Q100 FL/FR, Kef Q200c center, Kef Q100 surrounds , JBL SP 150 & Bic F12 subs, Denon AVR710Ws, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Samsung cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
post #10580 of 10581 Unread Today, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dbphd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montecito, CA
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 172
You should strive to never be aware of any speaker as a source of sound, and that's especially true of subs. You want full-range sound with good imaging. If you're aware of any speaker, it's volume is set too high.

I use a pair of Velodyne HGS-15s to supplement KEF Reference 107/2s for HT and surround music -- no subs for stereo. The subs are controlled by an SMS-1 that provides acoustic room correction. In a stereo-only setup, I use a pair of HGS-10s to supplement LS50s, again with an SMS-1. In either setup you're never aware of the subs, except when they do something you're pretty sure the speakers can't do, like apply pressure to your chest when an explosion occurs in a movie when supplementing the 107/2s, or pump out pipe organ pedal notes when supplementing the LS50s.

db
dbphd is offline  
post #10581 of 10581 Unread Today, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sivadselim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 16,153
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoaaron View Post
got the subwoofer installed. LFE crossover 120hz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
I can't remember what setup you have but, 120hz is too high.
I suspect he is talking about his LPF of LFE. In which case 120Hz is fine.

The speaker channel crossover(s) is(are) not an "LFE crossover".

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
sivadselim is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , kef blade 2 , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , kef reference 3 , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off