831Likes

post #10741 of 10743 Old Today, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post
4 Q900 is good! Q600C is also good. You will love having 4 equal speakers surround you. I dont know the Marantz too much, Im more of a Denon / Yammy man. The 2x SVS subs will go well too! I used to have a single pc13ultra and found it suited well and was easy to integrate. However 2 subs will be more even and more smoother.

I regard the Q900 as best bang for buck Home Theater speaker. So you have picked a good special to pick up. Where did you buy from?
Hey Hatlesschimp, New to this thread. I was close to pulling the trigger on Q900s because of the KEF Direct sale $600 per tower. I have heard/read quite a few posters saying that 3 identical speakers across the front are better than a dedicated center. I have also seen quite a few posters try to figure out a way to split a pair of Q300s to use it as a center. I am contemplating using the Q900 as a center. Is that crazy? Q900 is $50 less than the Q600C and would probably sound better for multi channel stereo. My TV is 42 inches high right now. I have only seen pictures of people using book shelf speakers for L/R/C. Do you know if anyone does the same with towers? Is that a bad idea?

Has anyone compared the Q series to internet direct suppliers like RBH (Emp tek) or Ascend Acoustics or Chane? I was about to buy 4 towers from RBH and a Center for $1147 (until I saw KEF sale) when they are normally priced at $2650. Three Q900s = $1800 and one pair of Q300s for $400 on sale =$2200. Not sure if they will sound twice as good. I can spend the extra $1K if the quality is there, just didn't want to spend it needlessly.

Thoughts?

I have not read through the last 1040 posts.... not sure if this question has been asked before...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10742 of 10743 Old Today, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1476 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Look on the general forum section for "Speakers" and you'll find a posting about quality regarding RBH. They sent a buyer speakers which appeared to be used and had corroded terminals right out of the box. I'd avoid them for that alone. Chane is better with reputation, I've never heard them.

I don't think you can use a tall floor standing speaker as a center as long as you have a solid traditional TV. They CAN be used with an acoustically transparent drop-down screen though. Pretty certain you can't buy a single one though. I'd just get a Q600c.

That said, I have a biased opinion because I own KEF R series and my son owns a Q500/Q200c/Q800ds/iQ10 7.1 surround system with an SVS PB2000 sub. In his 16' x 25' x 8.5' room, it's STUNNING for home theater and gaming that he & his fiancé use it for. He has a pair of Q300's in their master bedroom 2-channel system, and they're terrific.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #10743 of 10743 Old Today, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatchmo View Post
Did you get yours yet? I assume they are the rosewood ones? I almost bought those myself and resold my black set just to get that veneer. It's beautiful. If you ever decide you want black instead, by all means get in touch with me.
Hi Zatchmo,

Just picked it up today. The center channel does have a "B" as the last character of the serial number. Perhaps it is British humor and means "between". A question for you... can the towers be placed on either side ? I'm assuming the "L" and "R" are not significant other than a means to define the matched pair.

On the bummer side, I might return the speakers. The center channel may be a "9" but the towers are certainly not. Based on Audiogon's rating system, the towers would be a "7" at best. One tower has several deep scratches that are less than 1/2" long but I noticed them soon after unboxing. The other tower has two small dings in one of the woofers.

If I do hang on to the speakers, I might be interested in a trade on the center channel.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , kef blade 2 , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , kef reference 3 , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page