Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPlay View Post
I have a Yamaha AVR.

Do you think "laid back" speakers are not a match for rock music? I've always heard the Klipsch called good rock speakers, and although the newer ones are not supposed to be as bright, I'm a bit leery.

I guess it's a compromise when the same speakers will be used for music as well as home theater.
the q 100's are better for rock than my wharfedale 10.1's .... but...the wharfdale's handle other types of music (like blues) MUCH better and handle bad recordings better as well .. the q 100's sound like nails on a chalk board to me on bad recordings...the 225's are supposedly closer to neutral than the 10.1s but they won't be forward or bright ... all in all I like wharfedale's better but if you like the q 100's then KEF is probably better for you ... one disclaimer the 10.1s don't sound bad with rock ( i like Rush..Zep.. ect.) it's just not as adept at reproducing the brighter sound rock recordings have... but they are so much easier to listen too for long periods of time it becomes addictive .. like a drug.. they call you back to them......
audiofreak38 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10952 of 10954 Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Quote:
I have a Yamaha AVR.

Do you think "laid back" speakers are not a match for rock music? I've always heard the Klipsch called good rock speakers, and although the newer ones are not supposed to be as bright, I'm a bit leery.

I guess it's a compromise when the same speakers will be used for music as well as home theater.
I listen to mostly rock music and don't feel the Q100's are bright at all. The drums and cymbals are crisp, the vocals are very clear and everything is well balanced. I could and have listened to music on the Kefs all day without ear fatigue. With Klipsch, I couldn't do more than an hour before my ears start to bleed. The Wharfedale are very laid back and are better suited for jazz and classical. The Q3020 are pretty good, but some members reported they feel a little short from the Kefs in detail and clarity. YMMV

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Kef Q200C, Bic F12 sub, Denon AVR-S710W, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #10953 of 10954 Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
I listen to mostly rock music and don't feel the Q100's are bright at all. The drums and cymbals are crisp, the vocals are very clear and everything is well balanced. I could and have listened to music on the Kefs all day without ear fatigue. With Klipsch, I couldn't do more than an hour before my ears start to bleed. The Wharfedale are very laid back and are better suited for jazz and classical. The Q3020 are pretty good, but some members reported they feel a little short from the Kefs in detail and clarity. YMMV
i would agree that most rock sounds good on the q100's...that being said i bet you have a warmer amp than i do.. or a warmer room..just a guess... try something for me ... go on pandora and try playing some 60's era blues like albert king... then judge whether the q 100's just might be a little harsh ...

post #10954 of 10954 Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Today, I am leaning toward the Q550. (If KEF Direct shipped to Hawaii, I would go for the sale price on the Q500.) Since Best Buy has free shipping on the 550, that makes it a prospect.

A part of me has always wanted to hear the Wharfedale 225. But even if I loved them, I don't think I want their towers with the 3 or 4 silver rings looking at me. Very superficial, but I'm not crazy about them. Too bad they didn't do a traditional grill.

I like the sound signature of the Q100s. While I've heard them called bright, it just seems vocally forward to me. Now those Emotiva Airmotivs were bright to me!! When I listen to the Scorpions on the 100s, Klaus' vocals have such beautiful clarity!!
Those Q550's would just knock your socks off!

I find several speakers to be bright, such as the previous Reference series Klipsch (not Reference Premier), to be painfully bright. I don't find the older Q series nor any of the recent Uni-Q driver-equipped KEF to be bright, nor would I even consider them to be "forward". Rather, I think of them as fundamentally accurate representations of the music as recorded. Going up the line (or newer), they have improved versions of the Uni-Q driver, better components in the crossover, and better (more inert) cabinets.

My personal feelings about them. Everyone has their own impressions...and ears.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , kef blade 2 , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , kef reference 3 , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page