KEF Owners Thread - Page 366 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 877Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10951 of 10972 Old 09-24-2017, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPlay View Post
I have a Yamaha AVR.

Do you think "laid back" speakers are not a match for rock music? I've always heard the Klipsch called good rock speakers, and although the newer ones are not supposed to be as bright, I'm a bit leery.

I guess it's a compromise when the same speakers will be used for music as well as home theater.
the q 100's are better for rock than my wharfedale 10.1's .... but...the wharfdale's handle other types of music (like blues) MUCH better and handle bad recordings better as well .. the q 100's sound like nails on a chalk board to me on bad recordings...the 225's are supposedly closer to neutral than the 10.1s but they won't be forward or bright ... all in all I like wharfedale's better but if you like the q 100's then KEF is probably better for you ... one disclaimer the 10.1s don't sound bad with rock ( i like Rush..Zep.. ect.) it's just not as adept at reproducing the brighter sound rock recordings have... but they are so much easier to listen too for long periods of time it becomes addictive .. like a drug.. they call you back to them......
EPlay and audiofreak38 like this.
Lp85253 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10952 of 10972 Old 09-24-2017, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 3,226
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPlay View Post
I have a Yamaha AVR.

Do you think "laid back" speakers are not a match for rock music? I've always heard the Klipsch called good rock speakers, and although the newer ones are not supposed to be as bright, I'm a bit leery.

I guess it's a compromise when the same speakers will be used for music as well as home theater.
I listen to mostly rock music and don't feel the Q100's are bright at all. The drums and cymbals are crisp, the vocals are very clear and everything is well balanced. I could and have listened to music on the Kefs all day without ear fatigue. With Klipsch, I couldn't do more than an hour before my ears start to bleed. The Wharfedale are very laid back and are better suited for jazz and classical. The Q3020 are pretty good, but some members reported they feel a little short from the Kefs in detail and clarity. YMMV

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Kef Q200C, Bic F12 sub, Denon AVR-S710W, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
post #10953 of 10972 Old 09-24-2017, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
I listen to mostly rock music and don't feel the Q100's are bright at all. The drums and cymbals are crisp, the vocals are very clear and everything is well balanced. I could and have listened to music on the Kefs all day without ear fatigue. With Klipsch, I couldn't do more than an hour before my ears start to bleed. The Wharfedale are very laid back and are better suited for jazz and classical. The Q3020 are pretty good, but some members reported they feel a little short from the Kefs in detail and clarity. YMMV
i would agree that most rock sounds good on the q100's...that being said i bet you have a warmer amp than i do.. or a warmer room..just a guess... try something for me ... go on pandora and try playing some 60's era blues like albert king... then judge whether the q 100's just might be a little harsh ...
Lp85253 is online now  
 
post #10954 of 10972 Old 09-24-2017, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 2,823
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPlay View Post
Today, I am leaning toward the Q550. (If KEF Direct shipped to Hawaii, I would go for the sale price on the Q500.) Since Best Buy has free shipping on the 550, that makes it a prospect.

A part of me has always wanted to hear the Wharfedale 225. But even if I loved them, I don't think I want their towers with the 3 or 4 silver rings looking at me. Very superficial, but I'm not crazy about them. Too bad they didn't do a traditional grill.

I like the sound signature of the Q100s. While I've heard them called bright, it just seems vocally forward to me. Now those Emotiva Airmotivs were bright to me!! When I listen to the Scorpions on the 100s, Klaus' vocals have such beautiful clarity!!
Those Q550's would just knock your socks off!

I find several speakers to be bright, such as the previous Reference series Klipsch (not Reference Premier), to be painfully bright. I don't find the older Q series nor any of the recent Uni-Q driver-equipped KEF to be bright, nor would I even consider them to be "forward". Rather, I think of them as fundamentally accurate representations of the music as recorded. Going up the line (or newer), they have improved versions of the Uni-Q driver, better components in the crossover, and better (more inert) cabinets.

My personal feelings about them. Everyone has their own impressions...and ears.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
KenM10759 is offline  
post #10955 of 10972 Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Member
 
zatchmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver Metro.
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Those Q550's would just knock your socks off!

I find several speakers to be bright, such as the previous Reference series Klipsch (not Reference Premier), to be painfully bright. I don't find the older Q series nor any of the recent Uni-Q driver-equipped KEF to be bright, nor would I even consider them to be "forward". Rather, I think of them as fundamentally accurate representations of the music as recorded. Going up the line (or newer), they have improved versions of the Uni-Q driver, better components in the crossover, and better (more inert) cabinets.

My personal feelings about them. Everyone has their own impressions...and ears.
If anything, the older Q series and even R series are a little rolled off on the highs.

R700 measurements: https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements
Q900, also from sterephile for consistency: https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements

Both are very good, but will let you know when the recording is sub-par.
KenM10759 and pase22 like this.
zatchmo is offline  
post #10956 of 10972 Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
EPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 647
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Thank you for all your thoughts!! I'm hoping the Q550 would have enough bass for my music and movie needs (without a sub) as I don't need that chest-thumping feeling.


I would consider the Q750 for more bass, but have heard a few worrisome things about the previous Q700 -- that the midrange was not as good, or the bass was muddled.
EPlay is online now  
post #10957 of 10972 Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM
Member
 
modenacart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
I listen to mostly rock music and don't feel the Q100's are bright at all. The drums and cymbals are crisp, the vocals are very clear and everything is well balanced. I could and have listened to music on the Kefs all day without ear fatigue. With Klipsch, I couldn't do more than an hour before my ears start to bleed. The Wharfedale are very laid back and are better suited for jazz and classical. The Q3020 are pretty good, but some members reported they feel a little short from the Kefs in detail and clarity. YMMV


I agree with this. I find the Q500 and Q100 very neutral and not bright.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
modenacart is offline  
post #10958 of 10972 Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 2,823
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPlay View Post
Thank you for all your thoughts!! I'm hoping the Q550 would have enough bass for my music and movie needs (without a sub) as I don't need that chest-thumping feeling.


I would consider the Q750 for more bass, but have heard a few worrisome things about the previous Q700 -- that the midrange was not as good, or the bass was muddled.
The Q750's are probably much better at that because they went from the "Z" surround to an improved rubber roll type surround for the LF driver and ABR's (passive radiators.) I wouldn't hesitate to take a chance on them, especially of not running a sub.

Yet.

From their description:

"Low-frequency (LF) drivers now have a larger roll surround, along with a new spider suspension to produce cleaner bass at high volumes. A new cone structure improves midrange clarity, and an enhanced Auxiliary Bass Radiators (ABRs) with a new surround and rear suspension delivers better controlled and more impressive bass."

Seems they read the reviews and acted upon the impressions.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.

Last edited by KenM10759; Yesterday at 06:21 PM.
KenM10759 is offline  
post #10959 of 10972 Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 233
On recent posts on this thread i have complained about the q 100's being bright ... i take it all back ( at least for now ), after changing to analog input they sound great... very neutral ... very full...
KenM10759 likes this.
Lp85253 is online now  
post #10960 of 10972 Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Snowmanick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,036
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 431
How secure are the built in wall hanging brackets on the Q300's? I bought a set for a garage stereo setup and would like to mount them to my overhead storage areas support posts, but this would put them above my cars. So before I do this I would like to know they won't shake themselves off the posts and fall on one of my cars.

If they aren't all that stable, does anyone have a suggestion for some good mounts?
Snowmanick is offline  
post #10961 of 10972 Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 2,823
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked: 820
They are engineered to do the job and any good engineer makes something like that more capable than the worst possible situation. I really don't think you need to worry. They're a 17 lb (7.7Kg) speaker and will not bounce around easily. They don't put out bass frequencies low enough to get them jumping.

If really worried, put a nail in a stud to get a speaker just an inch off the deck and crank up a bass heavy tune. See what happens. I predict...nothing.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
KenM10759 is offline  
post #10962 of 10972 Old Today, 07:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
On recent posts on this thread i have complained about the q 100's being bright ... i take it all back ( at least for now ), after changing to analog input they sound great... very neutral ... very full...
This is interesting. I also found that analog inputs were not bright. But in my case, it was because some of high frequencies were missing in the analog inputs.

Did you check if your analog input still has high frequencies?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Lp85253 likes this.
SouthernCA is online now  
post #10963 of 10972 Old Today, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
This is interesting. I also found that analog inputs were not bright. But in my case, it was because some of high frequencies were missing in the analog inputs.

Did you check if your analog input still has high frequencies?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
i would agree that "some high frequency" was missing .. to me this is a good thing .. the high frequency that seems to be missing on my rig was ,imo, added by processing by the avr (yamaha)... the music , at least on the yamaha now seems like listening to recordings on old lp's..
Lp85253 is online now  
post #10964 of 10972 Old Today, 08:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i would agree that "some high frequency" was missing .. to me this is a good thing .. the high frequency that seems to be missing on my rig was ,imo, added by processing by the avr (yamaha)... the music , at least on the yamaha now seems like listening to recordings on old lp's..
Lol. I also use Yamaha AVR as a preamp. But with Parasound amp. For me digital input is much cleaner with highs and lows.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
SouthernCA is online now  
post #10965 of 10972 Old Today, 09:04 AM
Member
 
killeraxemannic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi KEF owners! Just wanted to get your opinions on a few things

I currently have some of the AJ pioneer FS52 speakers and the C22 center. I was able to find a used BIC Acoustech PL-28II center here on the forums that is on it's way. I was considering getting the KEF Q100's or Q300's as my fronts. Does anyone have experience with the Q100's or 300's and the PL-28II? Do you guys think they would be a decent match?

Second thing is I have a KEF PSW 2150 subwoofer but it's currently in the shop for repair. I was quoted $100 to fix it. I can't find much information on it and I have been told in other threads to upgrade it and not have it fixed because it only plays down to 30 HZ and it's not a good sub. I am not an expert but I think it's a fine sub and much better than the JBL PB12 that I am currently using in it's place. Does anyone have any experience with it and can anyone tell me how they think it compares to something such as the Emotiva sub 12 that I have been told I need to replace it with? I don't want to upgrade subs if the PSW 2150 is decent and adequate for my needs.
killeraxemannic is online now  
post #10966 of 10972 Old Today, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
Hi KEF owners! Just wanted to get your opinions on a few things

I currently have some of the AJ pioneer FS52 speakers and the C22 center. I was able to find a used BIC Acoustech PL-28II center here on the forums that is on it's way. I was considering getting the KEF Q100's or Q300's as my fronts. Does anyone have experience with the Q100's or 300's and the PL-28II? Do you guys think they would be a decent match?

Second thing is I have a KEF PSW 2150 subwoofer but it's currently in the shop for repair. I was quoted $100 to fix it. I can't find much information on it and I have been told in other threads to upgrade it and not have it fixed because it only plays down to 30 HZ and it's not a good sub. I am not an expert but I think it's a fine sub and much better than the JBL PB12 that I am currently using in it's place. Does anyone have any experience with it and can anyone tell me how they think it compares to something such as the Emotiva sub 12 that I have been told I need to replace it with? I don't want to upgrade subs if the PSW 2150 is decent and adequate for my needs.
i own the q 100's...not with the bic center.. but being real nice for clarity , once you set spl to proper levels, they should be a decent match to the bic center.. there are probably better subs out there pretty cheap, but again i don't have any personal experience.. the emotiva basx8 is what i have ..$200 .. it works well... back to the q 100's ... they are a little bright in general, but set up properly they can be very clean, clear and pleasant.. the 300's are supposedly more linear and less bright ..probably better for music in general.. hope this helps...
Lp85253 is online now  
post #10967 of 10972 Old Today, 09:24 AM
Member
 
killeraxemannic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i own the q 100's...not with the bic center.. but being real nice for clarity , once you set spl to proper levels, they should be a decent match to the bic center.. there are probably better subs out there pretty cheap, but again i don't have any personal experience.. the emotiva basx8 is what i have ..$200 .. it works well... back to the q 100's ... they are a little bright in general, but set up properly they can be very clean, clear and pleasant.. the 300's are supposedly more linear and less bright ..probably better for music in general.. hope this helps...
The system that they are for is almost 100% home theater use. Mostly TV shows and PS4 games.
killeraxemannic is online now  
post #10968 of 10972 Old Today, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
Lol. I also use Yamaha AVR as a preamp. But with Parasound amp. For me digital input is much cleaner with highs and lows.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
well , i think it's all preference, the yamaha/ q 100 setup on digital(optical input) had a huge high end emphasis...hence "bright"... with analog , and i think "old timers" will agree , back in the old days of lp's and tube amps , music was never bright , or a least not as bright as digital presentation can get now.. anyway it seems to me that.. run through my tv using a fire stick for getting pandora that the frequency i am losing is all processing added.. i really do think that modern avr's "add" sound especially in the high end( and some lows too ) for added thump and impact for home theater ..... keep experimenting with the sound , remember , it's your ears, there is no right or wrong here.. just what you like

Last edited by Lp85253; Today at 09:34 AM.
Lp85253 is online now  
post #10969 of 10972 Old Today, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 3,226
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post


well , i think it's all preference, the yamaha/ q 100 setup on digital(optical input) had a huge high end emphasis...hence "bright"... with analog , and i think "old timers" will agree , back in the old days of lp's and tube amps , music was never bright , or a least not as bright as digital presentation can get now.. anyway it seems to me that.. run through my tv using a fire stick for getting pandora that the frequency i am losing is all processing added.. i really do think that modern avr's "add" sound especially in the high end( and some lows too ) for added thump and impact for home theater ..... keep experimenting with the sound , remember , it's your ears, there is no right or wrong here.. just what you like
When listening to music, I turn all eq ( audyssey, dynamic eq) off and just set it to stereo or direct depending what I'm listening to. If I leave those on, the bass feels bloated and boomy and the highs can get a little bright. For HT I turn audyssey back on. I generally have dynamic eq turned off most of time though.
Lp85253 likes this.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Kef Q200C, Bic F12 sub, Denon AVR-S710W, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
post #10970 of 10972 Old Today, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
When listening to music, I turn all eq ( audyssey, dynamic eq) off and just set it to stereo or direct depending what I'm listening to. If I leave those on, the bass feels bloated and boomy and the highs can get a little bright. For HT I turn audyssey back on. I generally have dynamic eq turned off most of time though.
i found out about that the hard way .. trial and error .. then Geoff taught me about D.A.C... that might be the biggest single light bulb moment.. analog = true reproduction .. digital= processing... i think processing is fine for H.T. but a hinderance to true stereo reproduction.. and i think maybe we have all become used to digital sound to our musical detriment...
Lp85253 is online now  
post #10971 of 10972 Old Today, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
The system that they are for is almost 100% home theater use. Mostly TV shows and PS4 games.
for h.t.&gaming either(kef ) will probably be great ... i am like Zorba in thinking that matching your center is nice but not essential.. but.. if ht and gaming is the main objective then a matching center is probably more important...
Lp85253 is online now  
post #10972 of 10972 Old Today, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 3,226
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
for h.t.&gaming either(kef ) will probably be great ... i am like Zorba in thinking that matching your center is nice but not essential.. but.. if ht and gaming is the main objective then a matching center is probably more important...
HT and gaming should be the only purpose of centers and surrounds. I think music sounds best in 2.0/2.1 regardless of content (SACD's being the exception) even with matching speakers all around. Gaming with matching speakers all around is much more engaging than it was when I had the JBL's as surrounds.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Kef Q200C, Bic F12 sub, Denon AVR-S710W, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , kef blade 2 , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , kef reference 3 , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off